Same here mate lol, got to love the rum coffees
The Informer
Reserves

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Re: Your guide to ANZAC day matches

Postby beef » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:31 pm

Was once a special day to play. Now seems more unique to play on the Saturday. Should only be local rivalries or GF replays. Some of the games being played are just ridiculous.
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 253 times

Postby jo172 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:32 pm

beef wrote:Was once a special day to play. Now seems more unique to play on the Saturday. Should only be local rivalries or GF replays. Some of the games being played are just ridiculous.

I agree. Should be no more than 1 per division and the preference should be given to the Grand Final replay.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby The Informer » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:58 pm

jo172 wrote:
beef wrote:Was once a special day to play. Now seems more unique to play on the Saturday. Should only be local rivalries or GF replays. Some of the games being played are just ridiculous.

I agree. Should be no more than 1 per division and the preference should be given to the Grand Final replay.

I agree also, too many clubs just see it as a chance to make money which is a disgrace.
The Informer
Reserves

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby mickey » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:59 pm

How do you work out who gets the div 1 game
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 312 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby jo172 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:06 pm

mickey wrote:How do you work out who gets the div 1 game

Replay the Div 1 GF. More people will care about that in Div 1 then the replay of the Div 2 GF. Hell, even make that the only SAAFL game on the day and hold it at Thebby as an evening/night game.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby HH3 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:12 pm

Does that mean the Div 4 grand finalists should play the replay in Div 3? That doesnt make much sense to me
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby jo172 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:48 pm

HH3 wrote:Does that mean the Div 4 grand finalists should play the replay in Div 3? That doesnt make much sense to me

Why not?
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Mr Beefy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:55 pm

Cos last year's Div 4 grand finalist is in Div 5...
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:56 pm

He's quick, I'll give him that :lol:
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby jo172 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:00 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:Cos last year's Div 4 grand finalist is in Div 5...

Touche

I actually think there's more merit in following the AFL and SANFL (traditional models) and leaving the day to one special game (of which I would favour the Div 1 Grand Final re-match).
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Cohiba » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:05 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:Rosewater is one and, for what it's worth, I would prefer no games before midday.
However, I will be paying my respect at Dawn Service, followed by rum and coffee at breakfast and then copious amounts of beer.

Perhaps the League's administrators should take a moments pause and ensure that due respect is observed by the Clubs who make Anzac Day game day.......
Cohiba
Reserves

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 41 times

Postby Junior coach » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:00 pm

Div 6 Fitzroy vs Black Fries.
Junior coach
Rookie

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby marbles » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:36 pm

a GF rematch...

well just incase u missed it last year come along this week and see all the action once again

personally the hype out weighs the event

one teams highly satisfied with premiership medals in their bedside tables, and the other team is either still highly sulking about it or are out for vengence with incomparable gain

at grassroot level allowing mini suburban communities host an anzac day event is club & culture building. let these small entities have their day in the sun. no matter how many matches are played every event will be commemorating the anzacs with the highest honour so no harm done
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby Arch44 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:45 pm

Pag wrote:Never said it was illegal, just thought footy clubs would have a bit more respect than that. Play on.

Agree with Pag. Poor form if clubs are doing this.
Hogg Shield Div IV 2018 Winner
Arch44
League - Top 5

Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 272 times

Postby zedman » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:03 pm

marbles wrote:a GF rematch...

well just incase u missed it last year come along this week and see all the action once again

one teams highly satisfied with premiership medals in their bedside tables, and the other team is either still highly sulking about it or are out for vengence with incomparable gain

at grassroot level allowing mini suburban communities host an anzac day event is club & culture building. let these small entities have their day in the sun. no matter how many matches are played every event will be commemorating the anzacs with the highest honour so no harm done

zactly..why should anzac day be kept for the "elite" only..these games at local grounds grow the anzac legend in a world that lives so much for the "now" and forgets our history..it allows hundreds of players and supporters to become more aware of just what the day is truly about and the hosting club does all it can to make it a special occasion..at our game we have the minutes silence, the last post, national anthem and toin coss by a digger..how is that not showing respect?? if the game is held the next day not one reference is made to the anzacs and the day goes by like all the others in the year..clubs playing in these games on friday are doing a great service to the memory of the anzacs and in educating the new generations..more power to them..
zedman
Coach

Has liked: 1077 times
Been liked: 387 times

Postby jo172 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:09 pm

zedman wrote:

zactly..why should anzac day be kept for the "elite" only..these games at local grounds grow the anzac legend in a world that lives so much for the "now" and forgets our history..it allows hundreds of players and supporters to become more aware of just what the day is truly about and the hosting club does all it can to make it a special occasion..at our game we have the minutes silence, the last post, national anthem and toin coss by a digger..how is that not showing respect?? if the game is held the next day not one reference is made to the anzacs and the day goes by like all the others in the year..clubs playing in these games on friday are doing a great service to the memory of the anzacs and in educating the new generations..more power to them..

My view is that having too many takes away from making the games that are played on ANZAC day special.

A quick survey of the Div 1 and 2 games this weekend shows that 7 of the 10 games are being played on ANZAC day!
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby zedman » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:16 pm

jo172 wrote:
zedman wrote:

My view is that having too many takes away from making the games that are played on ANZAC day special.

A quick survey of the Div 1 and 2 games this weekend shows that 7 of the 10 games are being played on ANZAC day!

so what?

at every game the crowd will get a special event..because its one day a year we do this on and now more and more players and supporters can be involved..not just a select group..so much good comes from playing these games..there are NO negatives..we arent the AFL or SANFL..we are grass roots football and every club involved in an anzac day game is helping their community understand what its about and keeping the legend alive and growing..
zedman
Coach

Has liked: 1077 times
Been liked: 387 times

Postby marbles » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:42 pm

if theres only one game on all day, ie: gaza vs rocs at gaza

i doubt evrryones gonna head there

most people will stay home & watch the magpies play the bombers

your niave to believe every one from every division will head to gaza. most wouldnt give a toss. id rather watch the afl
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby Robb_Stark » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:01 pm

at a local level with so many clubs taking part how many people from these clubs actually taking the time to remember the fallen soliders i think some people have got the day mixed up along the line it snot football day its anzac day
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 155 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League