Future of the SANFL

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Future of the SANFL

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:54 am

What does the future hold for the SANFL?

A lot of negative vibes around this season with the emergence of the two AFL reserves sides, especially as Port begin to rack up a couple of big wins and everyones fears of a lopsided, compromised comp appear to come to fruition.

With the exception of some tough times over the next two seasons, as sides adjust, does anyone not think that perhaps the standard and competition will improve? With all things over time, we learn to adapt and grow to combat change, perhaps the two AFL sides will force SANFL clubs to look at the way they operate, train, play etc as they look to bridge the gap?

If the SANFL can develop into a more professionally run competition in terms of having a smaller gap between it and the AFL, perhaps younger players might be more inclined to stay in the system and compete at the better level rather than taking the easy coin in country or ammos?

Or do people think the comp will just dwindle away to nothing?
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Re: Future of the SANFL

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:03 am

how can the SANFL clubs compete against professionally run AFL Clubs with their money, time and resources??

the comp will slowly dwindle away into oblivion for the true SANFL fans and the state league will flourish into a great training ground for the crows and port.

I fear that the lopsidedness results will also impact on the traditional SANFL clubs to recruit.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3581 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:08 am

still not sure how 3 wins, 3 losses by the reserves teams is a "lopsided competition appearing to come to fruition"

surely it is too early to tell?

150 point losses really suck, but I am prepared to accept that glenelg are just a basket case at the moment. I might change my opinion if it becomes a regular thing, but I think people are just overreacting once again.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby tigerpie » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:11 am

Heres a radical idea!
Theres a lot of blokes playing SANFL, if given a chance could play AFL
Cap the draft to.....half of this years intake are age 17-22 and the other half 23- whatever.
That way blokes will have more incentive to hang around playing SANFL, and not go chasing the cockies dollars.
Just a thought.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby JK » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:12 am

It's too early to tell, but if we're crystal balling, then I think the SANFL will be around for a long time to come, but it won't be as we've known it. I think support will drop for the non-AFL clubs as the years pass by, and it will become a purely development league (it's a fair way down that path already).

Best thing the clubs could do is strengthen their financial standings (and for most that will require significant increases to their revenue stream) over the next 5 years or so and lobby for increased Salary Cap.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2984 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:13 am

well Glenelg are looking good for a 180 point loss this week

I wonder what Trigg and his friends will do if there is a lack of competition for his reserves????

where will he go then???
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Ronnie » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:19 am

A difficult situation has been reached.
you can't ask the players to train and prepare more without a comensurate increase in the salary cap. The chances of that happening in the immediate term i'd say are remote. For part time footballers the commitment required to play SANFL is already demanding, and fringe players drop away to easier places. Mixing employment with SANFL football is hard enough now.
Mixing full time and part time footballers, with a few very part time players thrown in as top up's, is, when you think about, undesirable. But that's what we now deal with.
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:19 am

Will the reserves sides (or do they already) be required to provide some financial support back into the comp clubs perhaps? After all what is happening in the comp is for their benefit..
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:24 am

don't we get $50k from the crows
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Jimmy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:48 am

In 2015 the afl teams will be voted out, the remaining 8 teams will compete in the new sanfl. A new tem, called port adelaide, will join the comp to make it 9 teams. WWT will de merge and create 10 teams.

A true sanfl with no afl.

It will happen!

:twisted:
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:52 am

Phantom Gossiper wrote:Will the reserves sides (or do they already) be required to provide some financial support back into the comp clubs perhaps? After all what is happening in the comp is for their benefit..

pretty sure there is still a significant cash contribution from the two AFL sides, as part of buying the licences back from the SANFL
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Panther Pack » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:54 am

With the 2 AFL clubs buying their licences from the SANFL and the SANFL selling land at West Lakes I think now would be a good time to reduce the gate back down from $14 to $10.

The SANFL has taken the fans for granted recently I think this may be 1 way to encourage some people to return to the footy.

As far as the 2 AFL reserves sides go I firmly believe the AFL will eventually head down the national reserves path and with Demetriou going maybe sooner than we think. The SANFL clubs must hold firm until this happens.
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:56 am

I hope you are right with the AFL reserves comp, but I cant see it happening in a long long time.

its amazing that the biggest sport in the country doesn't have its own reserves comp
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Ecky » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:15 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:With the exception of some tough times over the next two seasons, as sides adjust, does anyone not think that perhaps the standard and competition will improve? With all things over time, we learn to adapt and grow to combat change, perhaps the two AFL sides will force SANFL clubs to look at the way they operate, train, play etc as they look to bridge the gap?

If the SANFL can develop into a more professionally run competition in terms of having a smaller gap between it and the AFL, perhaps younger players might be more inclined to stay in the system and compete at the better level rather than taking the easy coin in country or ammos?

Very very unlikely PG. SANFL clubs are already spending more than they can afford on footy departments and place huge demands on players for the relatively small amounts they are paid. So there is very little that can be done to increase the standard, they are already basically doing everything they can. The much more likely scenario is the standard will continue to drop as more people realise how compromised the competition truly is now with the inclusion of the AFL Reserves teams, with lower attendances, memberships, sponsorship income etc. once this initial novelty with the reserves teams wears off.
John Olsen, June 2012 wrote:"Reserves teams in the SANFL for the two AFL clubs is not negotiable.
We will not compromise the SANFL competition (with AFL reserves teams)."
Ecky
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 79 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide Lutheran

Postby Ecky » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:17 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:I hope you are right with the AFL reserves comp, but I cant see it happening in a long long time.

its amazing that the biggest sport in the country doesn't have its own reserves comp

Not at all amazing, the NFL doesn't have any reserves competition at all and I'm sure the AFL is looking at that as a possible model to follow in the future.
John Olsen, June 2012 wrote:"Reserves teams in the SANFL for the two AFL clubs is not negotiable.
We will not compromise the SANFL competition (with AFL reserves teams)."
Ecky
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 79 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide Lutheran

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:24 pm

Ecky wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:I hope you are right with the AFL reserves comp, but I cant see it happening in a long long time.

Not at all amazing, the NFL doesn't have any reserves competition at all and I'm sure the AFL is looking at that as a possible model to follow in the future.

NFL doesn't have any grassroots level competition either though, it's either the big time or nothing.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:25 pm

oh, so the AFL will then support a national college football competition??????
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:25 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
Ecky wrote:

NFL doesn't have any grassroots level competition either though, it's either the big time or nothing.

they have kids comps.
primary, high school and college....
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2383 times

Postby Jimmy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:33 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
Phantom Gossiper wrote:
Ecky wrote:

they have kids comps.
primary, high school and college....

NFL players are the professional of the professional. You can also have 53 players available on any given Sunday and activate them as you wish. They train like they play. No need for a reserves comp.
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:37 pm

Thinking extremes...

Could the SANFL dissolve as we know it and become a "Premier League"?

The strong clubs allowed to stick around, the rest off to SAAFL or defunct, and top the comp up with a side from NT and perhaps VIC country?

An AFL Reserves comp, if we were seriously looking at it as an option in the near future, what sort of time frame would we be looking? Surely would have to wait until the Suns and GWS are firmly founded so the resources can be adequately applied to the successful implementation of such a comp?
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL