AFL Reserves. The Pros and Cons:

All discussions to do with the SANFL

AFL Reserves. The Pros and Cons:

Postby johntheclaret » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:17 am

Without wanting to start just another slagging thread, I was thinking about what the Pros and Cons were.
Initially I thought it might not be a bad thing to get rid of the bye, an extra team in the league, but as I read and pick up on some pretty valid points I have come round to the idea that in fact there are more downsides to the Reserves in the SANFL than upsides.

Here are my Pros & Cons. A genuine effort to look at both sides objectively. I would be interested to see other posters Pros & Cons and not just "we hate you".

Pros:

•All SANFL Clubs receive $50k p.a. from the Crows
•All the SANFL Clubs have control over their own players and aren’t relying on the AFL Club players dropping in and out from one week to the next.
A 10 team competition eradicates the need for the bye every week.
Greater media coverage leading to increased sponsorship revenue for all SANFL clubs.
Commercial TV gives greater exposure to a wider viewing market and exposes SANFL football to viewers who might not normally see it, therefore increasing the possibility of attracting new followers to the league.

Cons:

•We have two reserve teams that have a different set of rules than each other.
•Both those teams also have a different set of rules to the rest of the 8 SANFL Clubs.
•Junior Fans who might have followed an SANFL team as well as an AFL Team are more likely to follow the AFL Reserve Team, resulting in the loss of fan base to SANFL going forward.
•The imbalance with which AFL Listed players are available to the reserve side from one week to the next will directly affect the results and ultimately who makes the finals and who doesn’t. Suggesting it will even itself out over the year is incorrect as some teams will gain from it and others will lose by it depending on what the injury list is from the AFL Team on any given week. Norwood might get 4 points because they happen to play Port on a week when injuries are higher, whilst WWT might not get any points because they happen to play Port when their injury list is small.
•If Port Power Reserves continue to smash the SANFL Teams, interest will wane on those match days.
•If either or both the AFL Reserve Teams reach the finals the revenue will go to those teams and out of an SANFL Club's coffers, which defeats one of the objects of having the Reserve Teams in the League in the first place, particularly if it was to end up a Crows v Power GF.
•The Crows Reserves have not brought 4,000 or 6,000, or any other number suggested, to the games as promised. The current crowds may be up but if this is because of the curiosity factor, then those increases won’t be sustained and crowds are likely to fall below previous years because of the protest vote leaving the SANFL Clubs worse off and under compensated. (The lost revenue from Memebership and walk on Fans outways the $50k compensation / incentive)
The SANFL losses it's identity as an independent league which in turn drives non AFL interested a fans away
Last edited by johntheclaret on Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Re: AFL Reserves. The Pros and Cons:

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:46 am

Objectively? Your pros and cons are only from a SANFL club and/or league perspective.
For:
The AFL clubs have all their players playing in one team at a ridiculously cheap price.

Cons:
Port will lose it's development zone which may mean a lot of the people in those zones will feel disenfranchised from the whole SANFL, regardless of who takes over those zones.
The Cows will have their players playing with blokes who are not up to it, as will Port when the remnants of the development squads disappear. This, however, has been an issue for 20 years or so, but will get worse.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby twosheds » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:09 am

John - you have it in a nutshell.
Mr. Beefy - can you really be that obtuse ? Look at the site you are on, of course opinions will be from an SANFL perspective. If you want supercilious, condescending self congratulations go to any AFL skewed site, simple really ! :roll:
Get your own Arts Show ya fairy !
twosheds
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby johntheclaret » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:17 am

Mr Beefy wrote:Objectively? Your pros and cons are only from a SANFL club and/or league perspective.
For:
The AFL clubs have all their players playing in one team at a ridiculously cheap price.

Cons:
Port will lose it's development zone which may mean a lot of the people in those zones will feel disenfranchised from the whole SANFL, regardless of who takes over those zones.
The Cows will have their players playing with blokes who are not up to it, as will Port when the remnants of the development squads disappear. This, however, has been an issue for 20 years or so, but will get worse.

I realise that which is why I asked for other views.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:18 am

twosheds wrote:John - you have it in a nutshell.
Mr. Beefy - can you really be that obtuse ? Look at the site you are on, of course opinions will be from an SANFL perspective. If you want supercilious, condescending self congratulations go to any AFL skewed site, simple really ! :roll:

Far from it two dogs. The site says safooty, last I checked there were 2 SA AFL reserves team in the SANFL. I guess if I go to an AFL site I wont get the chip on the shoulder, woe is me, stuck in the 70s cock knockers like you on it.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:24 am

Any chance this thread can be objective instead of a slagging match
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:24 am

:D he started it
Mr Beefy
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:29 am

seriously, another forum???
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby twosheds » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:43 am

Mr Beefy wrote:
twosheds wrote:John - you have it in a nutshell.

Far from it two dogs. The site says safooty, last I checked there were 2 SA AFL reserves team in the SANFL. I guess if I go to an AFL site I wont get the chip on the shoulder, woe is me, stuck in the 70s cock knockers like you on it.[/quote

]twodogs ??? If you can't read between the lines I guess you really are that obtuse. Your last point is correct, personal abuse aside.
Get your own Arts Show ya fairy !
twosheds
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby maxyoz » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:48 am

Pros: It's given us the opportunity to have lots of healthy debating on this forum.

Cons: It seems to end up on every fricking thread.
Punk Rooster wrote:I can't believe that a topic that is quite clearly trolling has elicited a 3 page response....
maxyoz
Under 18s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 36 times
Grassroots Team: Kimba Districts

Postby Panther Pack » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:07 am

Scary part is Port have 5 or 6 players to come back from injury so they are only going to get stronger. Monfries will send someone back, Redden, Shaw, Stevenson to name a few .

Pros: Central voted No have a huge amount of respect for them.

Cons: the other 6 SANFL clubs only have themselves to blame. The arrogance of these 6 SANFL clubs to think they could compete with professional AFL clubs is laughable. I cannot believe they did not see this coming
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby Booney » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:16 am

johntheclaret wrote:Any chance this thread can be objective instead of a slagging match

Now, Johnny boy, did you think there was ever any possibility of that happening when you started the thread. Really?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby johntheclaret » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:18 am

Booney wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:Any chance this thread can be objective instead of a slagging match

Now, Johnny boy, did you think there was ever any possibility of that happening when you started the thread. Really?

Are my Pros and Cons objective?
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:21 am

johntheclaret wrote:
Booney wrote:

Perhaps, but anyone who in principal is against the agreement isn't going to come up with many "Pro's". As demonstrated above.

Then opening another thread up to the masses to complain......well, they will.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby johntheclaret » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:28 am

Booney wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:
Booney wrote:

Perhaps, but anyone who in principal is against the agreement isn't going to come up with many "Pro's". As demonstrated above.

Then opening another thread up to the masses to complain......well, they will.

You're a Port fan . Why don't you objectively put your own list of Pros and Cons. You're a smart guy and I don't believe you haven't considered the pluses and the minuses
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:32 am

johntheclaret wrote:
Booney wrote:

Well, I tried but someone didn't like what I said and the rest is history
Mr Beefy
Coach

Postby jo172 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:44 am

Devil's advocate; if the Crows and Port pissed off to the VFL/some other AFL Reserves competition what effect would it have on the SANFL?

I suspect that media coverage/channel 7 etc. would be even less for the league as a whole than it is now.

I get the feeling this may be like pandora's box, now that it's been opened it can't be closed
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby daysofourlives » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:16 am

jo172 wrote:Devil's advocate; if the Crows and Port pissed off to the VFL/some other AFL Reserves competition what effect would it have on the SANFL?

I suspect that media coverage/channel 7 etc. would be even less for the league as a whole than it is now.

I get the feeling this may be like pandora's box, now that it's been opened it can't be closed

Didnt the Ammos, use to be on TV in the 70's and 80's?
I see that comp still exists and thrives
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby UK Fan » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:32 am

Now now JTC, don't you realise that only pro-reserves and Port fans can possibly be objective about this. Their support of the concept is in no way influenced by the team they follow at AFL level.

The rest of us are biased cock-knockers.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby heater31 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:00 am

daysofourlives wrote:
jo172 wrote:Devil's advocate; if the Crows and Port pissed off to the VFL/some other AFL Reserves competition what effect would it have on the SANFL?

Didnt the Ammos, use to be on TV in the 70's and 80's?
I see that comp still exists and thrives

Not exactly that League folded in 1995 or there abouts. All clubs joined the SAAFL.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL