North v Norwood - Anzac Day - Post Game

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: North v Norwood - Anzac Day - Post Game

Postby passionatelegsfan » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:29 am

I thought norwood played alot better than the previous two weeks which is cause for optimism. Surely when you lose so many players plus your coach it is a building process. I think norwood's best football is yet to come. Whether there best is good enough to conrend is yet to be determined. There were a few cocky north supporters where i sit. I could have come back with a couple of obvious retorts, such as when was your last flag, but choose to bite my tongue. Premierships are won in semptember, not april!
Anyone have the crowd figure for today?
passionatelegsfan

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 6 times

Postby dedja » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:32 am

great crowd ... 10,014
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 996 times

Postby Wedgie » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:46 am

Was a great atmosphere on the hill.

Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2049 times
Been liked: 3891 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby the joker » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:51 am

fester69 wrote:Laugh now and enjoy our bad run.
Once we "gel" lookout.
This will be a sweet third Premiership in a row!
its always good to wake up and read a post that makes you laugh. You have no hope. It's going to be more like in two months there will be threads on
We need to sack Benny Warren
I love vegatarian food. It goes great with steak.
the joker
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby JK » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:07 am

Bassett just called and said North got really lucky.

We lost the game as much as North won it.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4460 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Ian » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:48 am

Other than the Crows 1st round smashing, that was the most complete games of footy North have played this year.
It was still no where near 4 quarters so we still have a huge amount of improvement ahead of us, I just cant wait for the games when North start playing at least 3 1/2 quarters of their best.

fester69 wrote:
But the Norwood "Supporters" who only appear to be happy when we they have something to complain about really $hit me off!

There was a few of them behind us yesterday, every club has them, your's seem to congregate in packs though ;)
North Adelaide F C : Champions of Aust 1972 : Premiers 1900, 02, 05, 20, 30, 31, 49, 52, 60, 71, 72, 87, 91
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby Ian » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:49 am

dedja wrote:great crowd ... 10,014

It deserved better but I'll take a 10K crowd anyday
North Adelaide F C : Champions of Aust 1972 : Premiers 1900, 02, 05, 20, 30, 31, 49, 52, 60, 71, 72, 87, 91
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby Dog_ger » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:55 am

NORTH 3.2 4.3 7.4 14.7 (91)
NORWOOD 1.2 5.7 7.12 9.16 (70)

Respect to our Northern brothers.

Well done guys.
Smile :)

It's only Money $$$ :)

What is happening to our SANFL guys...
Dog_ger
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 19 times

Postby Tech1 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:41 am

Well done to both clubs and supporters, 10k is a great crowd. Was the atmosphere lost in the new Adelaide Oval or did it still hold up? Did they close off the stands? Wish i had went now to check it all out.
Tech1
Rookie

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby JK » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:44 am

Tech1 wrote:Well done to both clubs and supporters, 10k is a great crowd. Was the atmosphere lost in the new Adelaide Oval or did it still hold up? Did they close off the stands? Wish i had went now to check it all out.

Atmosphere was good mate .. North fans would have loved that final quarter and were going off accordingly.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:12 pm

Tech1 wrote:Well done to both clubs and supporters, 10k is a great crowd. Was the atmosphere lost in the new Adelaide Oval or did it still hold up? Did they close off the stands? Wish i had went now to check it all out.

Atmosphere on the hill was great, was no different to the showdown and Adelaide v Sydney match I attended.
They just shut down the top tiers of all the stands so there was a good congregation of people in just about every area.
Was first SANFL minor round game I've been to in probably 25 years that had the atmosphere of a final.
I usually only get the cock head out in finals but it seemed appropriate to bring it out yesterday and had our usual bbq for hours beforhand and a great banner like we do for finals. There were hugs, high fives, chants, banter, the day had it all.
First North Anzac Day game I've been to this century, had an absolute great day.
Amazingly enough my day got even better at night but I wont go into that! :D

Might go watch the Under 18s North v Norwood today if I can stay awake. :D
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby robranisgod » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:26 pm

mal wrote:I've never seen Norwood win a flag at Adelaide Oval
And it wont change this year

Luke Mitchell
Does he always kick a mile and straight ?

The dwarfish Norwood defenders were exposed by the North giantish forwards in the second half

James Allan
I don't think I've been to a game where a footballer was abused as much as James today
Might just be the vicinity of where I sat
Did James cop it elsewhere ?

Luke Mitchell is a very long and straight kick. That is two weeks in a row he has had good last quarters after looking decidedly average for the first three quarters.

Regarding Jimmy, it must have just been where you were sitting. I was expecting to hear a chorus of boos every time he touched the ball, but I heard nothing. It did seem that the western side where I stood was very pro Norwood, whereas the eastern side and especially the northern end seemed a pro North crowd.

I was surprised that a 10k crowd could give that much atmosphere compared to what a similar sized crowd seemed to be like at footy park.

Unlike some others, I actually thought that the crowd was bigger than 10k.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 230 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby JK » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:31 pm

I thought the crowd was bigger too RIG. Perfect weather for footy yesterday and spectators for that matter. The finals at AO should have heaps more atmosphere this year.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:38 pm

Wouldn't surprise me if there was more there, I had to go through the gates several times to get in and out of the members to hold up the banner and I remember one of the gate attendants not being sure how to record a lot of entrances because of the various different tickets that got people into the game including serviceman for free, season ticket holders, Adelaide Oval Footy Members and SACA members.
Even with the official number that's over 46,000 people at the last two North v Norwood games. :D
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby fester69 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:15 pm

the joker wrote:
Once we "gel" lookout.
its always good to wake up and read a post that makes you laugh. You have no hope. It's going to be more like in two months there will be threads on

Alright I'll take the obvious bait!
This reminds me of North Adelaide being Premiership favourite after beating Norwood during the MINOR round in 2012/13.
Remind me how that ended in October again?

Enjoy being April Premiers, we'll enjoy being Reigning Premiers!
fester69
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 32 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Postby Wedgie » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:29 pm

fester69 wrote:
the joker wrote:
Once we "gel" lookout.

This reminds me of North Adelaide being Premiership favourite after beating Norwood during the MINOR round in 2012/13.

We were never premiership favourites in 2012 and 2013 and at the moment we're third on the ladder after beating an ordinary side who are eighth so not sure how that makes us April premiers.
Your memory and logic is a bit hazy but nice attempted deflection.
Try again.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Tech1 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:38 pm

Brilliant, thanks Wedgie and JK. Would be great to see a few more SANFL games there prior to finals, maybe a couple of double headers so each team gets a chance to play on there each year, could shift a few crows games and take a few home games off the power reserves haha.
Tech1
Rookie

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby robranisgod » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:44 pm

fester69 wrote:
the joker wrote:
Once we "gel" lookout.

In 2012 North's "lucky" win made North 5 wins 5 losses at that stage of the season and it was Norwood's first defeat for the year, so in no way did North become favourite at that stage. Remember it took until the last minor round game for the year for North to even make the five.

In 2013, North were for most of the year second favourite but at no stage did they challenge Norwood for favouritism.

Even this year North are only third favourite at this stage. Unfortunately Port are looking awesome.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Postby mal » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:58 pm

robranisgod wrote:

Luke Mitchell

The dwarfish Norwood defenders were exposed by the North giantish forwards in the second half

James Allan
I don't think I've been to a game where a footballer was abused as much as James today

Luke Mitchell is a very long and straight kick. That is two weeks in a row he has had good last quarters after looking decidedly average for the first three quarters.

Regarding Jimmy, it must have just been where you were sitting. I was expecting to hear a chorus of boos every time he touched the ball, but I heard nothing. It did seem that the western side where I stood was very pro Norwood, whereas the eastern side and especially the northern end seemed a pro North crowd.

I was surprised that a 10k crowd could give that much atmosphere compared to what a similar sized crowd seemed to be like at footy park.

On what I saw Mitchell kicks very long and straight like Johnson did the last 2 seasons

Will Mitchell be a big name player ?
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1154 times
Been liked: 908 times

Postby robranisgod » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:24 pm

mal wrote:
robranisgod wrote:

Luke Mitchell

James Allan

On what I saw Mitchell kicks very long and straight like Johnson did the last 2 seasons

Will Mitchell be a big name player ?

Too early to tell Mal. When he was standing McGuinness yesterday he received an absolute bath, but he really came into his own in the last quarter. The move of Miles to the forward line was probably the turning point of the match and allowed Mitchell to become the third tall forward. I actually think young Barns from Port Adelaide is more likely to become a big name player. He took 8 marks yesterday and is quite impressive.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL