All discussions to do with the SANFL

Rnd 4 - Central v South Post Game

Postby DOC » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:39 pm

Central District
11.10 76
South Adelaide
12.12 84

Goals

South: Eddy 6 (who needs you Wundke), Liddle, McCleod, Rankine McMahon, Irra, Cross 1
Central: Habel 5, Retzlaf 2, McIntyre, Goodrem, Glenn, Milne 1

South started well and finished well with the dogs winning the second quarter convincingly, getting out to a four goal margin. South have now won evry first and last quarter. Perhaps I'll say we need to improve our efforts in the second and third !

We appear to have escaped injury free and both Rolfe and Seccul played in the reserves (who won by 7 goals).
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Re: Central v South Post Game

Postby whufc » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:51 pm

I want to see Gilbees football resume.

I'm calling bullshit on him, when it said he played football for the Gold Coast I believe he may have meant the now defunct Gold Coast A-League side.

Anyway was great game for the first SANFL showpiece Integrity Cup.

It's set up well for the second leg in a few months time
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby saintal » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:55 pm

Stirring win!

Squandered some chances in the 3rd term, but kept on running and creating opportunities in the last quarter. Appear to be very fit as we're running out games extremely well. Dogs perhaps should have been infront by more at 1/2 time. Would hate to see our Inside 50 count in the 2nd term.

Eddy another huge game with 6. Liddle back to his best after quiet start to season, recruits Dale and Gulden important, Thewlis solid, while it was a case of most other blokes doing their bit.

Habel obviously very good for Centrals, while McIntrye was another who impressed. Thankfully Glenn was kept in check.

Not a massive crowd, but very vocal and a good atmosphere. Largest contingent of South supporters I've seen at Elizabeth in years. Umpiring considerably better than last week's game against the Bays. Not perfect, but better.

Looking forward to watching the replay at some stage.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby Aerie » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:00 pm

Turned on the TV at half time and watched the last half. Was all South, but looked like Central may just hold on about half way through last quarter, just based on recent history. Great to see South win, they look a good team.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby Groucho » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:03 pm

Well done today Dogs snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!
This is the worst Centrals team this century, possibly ever. They are succeeding very well if their mission is to make the other teams supporters very happy. :evil: :twisted:

Now if we can just lose the next 14 games we can win the spoon.

Looking forward to deleting the replay very soon.
Groucho
Under 18s

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 160 times

Postby SANFLnut » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:08 pm

4-0 start in an 18 game season is significant. Pre-season form is holding up for them. Centrals out there a good scalp, were far too good for Bays, we are not a contender, plus North at Prospect. Not sure we will really get a good form line on the comp this year until Round 9, however 2 really good wins from their 4 and all winning form is good form. Gotch seems to be pulling all the right strings ATM.
SANFLnut
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Fluffbag » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:13 pm

Great to see the guys fight back and win today, certainly seeing a different south team out there from previous years. Loved singing the song in the club rooms after the game (don't get that from the AFL)

I know that they have a bad reputation, but the Centrals supporters have always been good toward me and one came up toward the end and praised how well we were playing and he shook my hand and said well done after the siren. They are great loyal supporters and if we ever make the grand final and we not playing Centrals, we could do with some of them to add some voice to our small membership.
Fluffbag
Under 16s

Been liked: 48 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Re: Rnd 4 - Central v South Post Game

Postby LPH » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:18 pm

Go Panthers... :D
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby DOC » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:48 pm

I don't know if the game is replayed or what channel but if someone does can they post it please.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby RB » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:50 pm

Fluffbag wrote:Centrals supporters have always been good toward me and one came up toward the end and praised how well we were playing and he shook my hand and said well done after the siren.
Might be the same one who called himself a 'gracious Centrals supporter' who came and shook my hand after the 2006 GF.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby CedeNullis » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:08 pm

Fluffbag wrote:Great to see the guys fight back and win today, certainly seeing a different south team out there from previous years. Loved singing the song in the club rooms after the game (don't get that from the AFL)

I know that they have a bad reputation, but the Centrals supporters have always been good toward me and one came up toward the end and praised how well we were playing and he shook my hand and said well done after the siren. They are great loyal supporters and if we ever make the grand final and we not playing Centrals, we could do with some of them to add some voice to our small membership.

We will look into this. But we do charge, 'heavily'. ;)
CedeNullis
Under 16s

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby Fluffbag » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:14 pm

CedeNullis, we seems to have money (but not premierships) so when the time is right, we will talk.
Fluffbag
Under 16s

Been liked: 48 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby RB » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:24 pm

Fluffbag wrote:CedeNullis, we seems to have money (but not premierships) so when the time is right, we will talk.
Do I hear wedding bells?
RB
Coach

Postby Panther Pack » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:29 pm

Got home from Victoria just in time to chuck on the t.v for the last quarter.

Great win by boys 4 in a row I cant recall that happening in the 15 years I been supporting the club.

Eddy is a GUN!!!!!

Great to finally break the hoodoo at the Ponderosa wish I had been there.

GO U PANTHERS big game next for the Wundke Cup!!!!
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby heater31 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:39 pm

Panther Pack wrote:Got home from Victoria just in time to chuck on the t.v for the last quarter.

Great win by boys 4 in a row I cant recall that happening in the 15 years I been supporting the club.

Eddy is a GUN!!!!!

Great to finally break the hoodoo at the Ponderosa wish I had been there.

GO U PANTHERS big game next for the Wundke Cup!!!!

Would have thought the Ainger Cup would be more appropriate and the Trophy is a night light ;)
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby matt35 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:42 pm

What was the crowd at Elizabeth?

Wins like that really build belief in a team and the belief at South seems to be growing with every game. They ran away with the game at Prospect, and have now come from behind at a ground where they have not won for 15 years. Great to see them up and about!
No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

Has liked: 513 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby RB » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:15 pm

With South's win ending a 15-year drought, does anyone know what the new longest current venue losing streak is?
RB
Coach

Postby dedja » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:16 pm

Bays at Footy Park ... will never be broken :lol:
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby blueandwhite » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:22 pm

Went to the Ponderosa today and saw the game, and was in the Changerooms post game.
been to Elizabeth plenty of times and since 99 and the results have been remarkably similar until today.
South started the game like a shot out of a gun and were on top early. The Dogs quickly hauled us in and were only 1pt behind at Quarter time.
The second quarter was all Centrals, and they went in at halftime with about a 5 goal margin- this was beginning to feel like deja vous to us long suffering supporters....another capitulation...?
The 3rd quarter was all South and but for poor kicking would have gone in at 3/4 time in front, however they were still 2 goals behind. The last quarter was a struggle for both teams early but South gabbed the lead in time on and hung on for a rare win at Elizabeth..

For South I thought Liddle was back to his best after a slow start to the year, Frazer Dale was also very good and along with Gulden have found their feet as recruits very quickly. McLeod was excellent up forward and on the ball. However Brooksby with 45 hitouts and some great work around the ground dominated . Brett Eddy continues to impress, goes to show what fitness, opportunity , and positive reinforcement from the coach can do.He is exceptional in the air and lightening quick for a guy his size when the ball is on the deck.
A great character building win, after losing 5 players from last weeks team with injury and suspension.
The Panthers for mine are the real deal.
Last edited by blueandwhite on Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tiocfaidh ár Lá
blueandwhite
League - Best 21

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 218 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Postby Jim05 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:23 pm

RB wrote:With South's win ending a 15-year drought, does anyone know what the new longest current venue losing streak is?

Dont think Port has won at the Parade in 5 or 6 years
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL