Rnd 5 - Adelaide v Port Magpies @ Clare Oval (Sun 4/5)

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Rnd 5 - Adelaide v Port Magpies @ Clare Oval (Sun 4/5)

Postby Big Phil » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:08 pm

The first SANFL Showdown between the Adelaide Crows AFL Reserves side and Port Adelaide Power's AFL Reserves side in the Port Magpies. Great that they are taking this game out into the country and raising funds for a very worthy cause.

You would suspect, based on respective form, that the Port Adelaide Magpies will go in as red hot favourites. Will be interesting to see if the Crows Reserves side have the services of Taylor Walker this weekend.

Adelaide v Port Mapgies

Sunday, May 4th

Clare Oval, Clare

Curtain Raiser - North Clare v South Clare

League @ 2:10pm

Broadcast Details - 7Mate from 2:00pm
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Re: Rnd 5 - Adelaide v Port Magpies @ Clare Oval (Sun 4/5)

Postby LPH » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:30 pm

One would expect a very big crowd - no Country Games on Sunday should mean a huge turn out from around the Mid-North of the State & as far away as Eyre Peninsula
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Big Phil » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:58 pm

LPH wrote:One would expect a very big crowd - no Country Games on Sunday should mean a huge turn out from around the Mid-North of the State & as far away as Eyre Peninsula

Locals from Clare say they expect between 5 and 7K to the game...
Big Phil
Coach

Postby Bounce of the ball » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:09 pm

Those organising the game are anticipating 10,000.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby Big Phil » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:10 pm

Bounce of the ball wrote:Those organising the game are anticipating 10,000.

May depend on weather and whether Taylor Walker plays, or not?

I'd anticipate between 6 and 8K will attend...
Big Phil
Coach

Postby kempey » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:12 pm

No cars in the ground - won't be like a country game at all!!!
kempey
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby Big Phil » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:16 pm

kempey wrote:No cars in the ground - won't be like a country game at all!!!

Noarlunga isn't a country game, kempey ;)
Big Phil
Coach

Postby kempey » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:26 pm

True - but they don't get 7,000 to often at Noarlunga.
kempey
Under 16s

Been liked: 2 times

Postby matt35 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:30 pm

Great that they are taking this game to the country, and I believe it is intended that future Crows home games against Port will also be played at country venues, a definite positive!

On the game itself, as Big Phil said above, looking at form it is difficult to see any other result than a comfortable Magpies win, but hopefully we may all be surprised by the end result!
No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

Has liked: 513 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby saintal » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:54 pm

Great to see an SANFL game being held in the country, even if it is a battle of the 'intruders'. I feel as though all clubs should endeavour to play a game in their zone at least once every couple of years (i.e. South at Encounter Bay).
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby Panther Pack » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:09 pm

kempey wrote:True - but they don't get 7,000 to often at Noarlunga.

Well over 7000 at the Christmas Carols last year!!!!
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby Leon_LeCornu » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:00 am

Great that Adelaide are supporting real grass roots football and great that Port agreed to this game - of course no one would be against it, but none of the SANFL clubs ever organise anything like this, so great initiative. Will be great to watch professional footballers run around on a country ground in a competitive game!

I'm tipping Port here. Whole team is in great form and Buddha is clearly getting his message across more and more every week. The likes of Moore, P.Stew, O'Shea and Newton could be in the Power team easily now and the new top up players are looking good. Take particular notion of young Zac Hawkins, a real star of the future and a Port Adelaide boy. The diverse backgrounds of this team really show what Port Adelaide is about, a team for everyone, and i'm loving watching it! To Clare!
Leon_LeCornu
Mini-League

Been liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Jim05 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:06 am

Leon_LeCornu wrote:Great that Adelaide are supporting real grass roots football and great that Port agreed to this game - of course no one would be against it, but none of the SANFL clubs ever organise anything like this, so great initiative. Will be great to watch professional footballers run around on a country ground in a competitive game!

I'm tipping Port here. Whole team is in great form and Buddha is clearly getting his message across more and more every week. The likes of Moore, P.Stew, O'Shea and Newton could be in the Power team easily now and the new top up players are looking good. Take particular notion of young Zac Hawkins, a real star of the future and a Port Adelaide boy. The diverse backgrounds of this team really show what Port Adelaide is about, a team for everyone, and i'm loving watching it! To Clare!

I must of dreamt going to watch Norwood play South at Victor those times :?
There have been several games played in country towns in the past, hasnt been one for a couple years and I would like to see more of them but to say the SANFL clubs dont do anything like this is just rubbish
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3536 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby twosheds » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:01 am

Leon_LeCornu wrote:Great that Adelaide are supporting real grass roots football and great that Port agreed to this game - of course no one would be against it, but none of the SANFL clubs ever organise anything like this, so great initiative. Will be great to watch professional footballers run around on a country ground in a competitive game!

Hmm so I must have also dreamt going to watch SANFL games at Whyalla, Port Pirie, Berri, Balaklava etc
Get your own Arts Show ya fairy !
twosheds
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby Spargo » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:06 am

Bounce of the ball wrote:Those organising the game are anticipating 10,000.

Hopefully for those going, catering tips won't be sought from the Glenelg Football Club.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5460 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby bennymacca » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:39 am

twosheds wrote:

Hmm so I must have also dreamt going to watch SANFL games at Whyalla, Port Pirie, Berri, Balaklava etc

It has been a while though right? maybe not in the past several years? happy to be corrected.

I too am looking forward to this game. Just over an hour drive away for me, so I think ill make the trek. Im almost certain Tex will play this game too, given the crows have a bye the week after, so it would seem silly to rush him back for melbourne before the bye.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Dutchy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:43 am

South have played at Victor and Sturt/West in the Riverland and Murray Bridge in the past 3/4 years.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby matt35 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:48 am

I remember the days of pre season SANFL games at country grounds, remember as a kid heading all the way to Bordertown for a Glenelg pre season game in I think it was 1986.

Would probably head up for this if I did not have a commitment in the early hours of Sunday morning, should be a good day!
No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

Has liked: 513 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby bennymacca » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:53 am

I think 5 country games a year, half the teams playing a home game in their country zone, would be a great idea. Especially if it was against one of the lower drawing clubs, I would think it would actually make economic sense too.

Take centrals vs south for instance. Not even 2k at the game, im sure if that was played at Nuri on the sunday they would have gotten more than that. How it works with splitting revenue im not sure.

The condition of grounds would probably be the main concern i would think. There may not be a huge amount of grounds suitable for an SANFL match in some areas
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby heater31 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:01 am

bennymacca wrote:I think 5 country games a year, half the teams playing a home game in their country zone, would be a great idea. Especially if it was against one of the lower drawing clubs, I would think it would actually make economic sense too.

Take centrals vs south for instance. Not even 2k at the game, im sure if that was played at Nuri on the sunday they would have gotten more than that. How it works with splitting revenue im not sure.

The condition of grounds would probably be the main concern i would think. There may not be a huge amount of grounds suitable for an SANFL match in some areas

Think extra revenue is offset by the extra costs of transporting the players and support staff to the game.

In this case with the 2 AFL teams playing each other the parent organisation has more than deep enough pockets to cover these without substantially affecting the bottom line....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL