Eagles 13.7 85

http://www.sanfl.com.au/livestats/match5/
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Re: R5 - South V WWT Eagles Post Match

Postby Seaford Panther » Sun May 04, 2014 7:42 pm

Just unable to go on with it after regaining the lead in the last quarter. Ran out of legs with no interchange available after half time. They are going to be challenged with depth after the past few weeks, but the ressies came away with a good win, and some showed that they would be capable of stepping up next week. Bad luck for Makepeace in his first game - looks like he will be out for an extended period with a knee. Also second gamer McMahon will be out for a while (knee as well.). I didnt see what happened with Fraser Dale, but apparently he had to go off to the hospital with a head/neck injury. Hope he is ok.
Umpiring has poor. Very inconsistent, but what's new....
Seaford Panther

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Pinnaroo

Postby Aerie » Sun May 04, 2014 7:50 pm

Excellent win once again to the Eagles. 4 goals down at half time, the Eagles kicked 6 to nothing to take the lead at 3/4 time. Then down by 7 points closing in on time on in the last with South having all the play. A period of about 2 minutes was filled with ball ups in the South attacking 50. Finally the Eagles broke clear and Wundke kicked the two winners in time on.

South playing a completely different brand of football. Occasionally loading up with 8 defenders. A little like West under Collins, but they have a quality target in Eddy. He had 5 goals to half time, but Giuffreida kept him goalless in the last half. Lots of chipping around by South when on occasions being more direct would've harmed the Eagles more. When it comes off though they look a quality outfit.

Great games by Jarrad and Powell and Wundke ending up being the match winner, backing up his good form vs Sturt. Probably another get out of jail win, but that'll do at this time of year.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby blueandwhite » Sun May 04, 2014 8:46 pm

A very entertaining game..and a real struggle to the end, witnessed by what I believe was a disappointing crowd.
Eagles cleaner, more direct ball use is what eventually got them over the line. Focal points up forward in Wundke and Ainger were very damaging and a constant threat; mind you they would want to be for what they are being paid.
South dominated the first half and went in at halftime with a 3-4 goal lead. Eddy had 5.0 at halftime. Souths third quarter was abysmal, when they failed to kick a goal, despite having a fair share of the ball. The third quarter the Eagles took control and seemed to have huge numbers back to clog up Eddys space, I seem to recall him competing alone against 5 at one stage.
South were perhaps a little inconvenienced during the game in that by 1/4 time they were down to 19 fit players when Makepeace (knee) and Dale (shoulder) left the ground to serious injuries. The news got worse in the second quarter when at the 20 minute mark Mcmahon was stretchered from the ground with a serious knee injury ,reducing South to 18 fit men.before halftime. During the last quarter Ah Chee suffering from cramp was shifted to full forward, and Cross had to exit the ground with the Blood rule for a few minutes- with no replacement available- down to 17. South somehow hit the front at the 20 minute mark and led by 8 pts at one stage only to see a mark in the goalsquare to Rankine not paid, the Hybrids quickly rebounded and kicked the next 3 goals to take the match.
I thought the umpiring was atrocious...
Im bloody disappointed, but definitely not disillusioned.
Tiocfaidh ár Lá
blueandwhite
League - Best 21

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 218 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Postby LPH » Sun May 04, 2014 8:51 pm

What an excellent game of footy. :D

South played well in 1st half, Eagles dominated the 3rd quarter, South hit the front & held it until the 23 minute mark of the 4th, then Eagles finished it off with a couple of goals. Eagles simply too good in the 2nd half of the game.

Was disappointed with South returning to the 'chipping around' game plan that was so prevalent under Fuller - particularly in the 3rd quarter.

Umpiring was at times diabolical for both teams - they 'guessed' many, many times.

Enjoyable Day in the sun - bought daughter a Souf Guernsey & Cap.
Disappointed there are no I-Phone Covers though.

Stood in the usual spot - great to catch up with my old Eagle Buddies but barracked for South all day, as a Member should 8)
My boy has enjoyed hanging crap on me all day - "Traitor" ... "Go You Eagles" ... "Chokers" ... "Pretenders" ... etc.

South have improved - Eddy is a 'goer', I like him.
Felt there was a bit of panic @ times though, particularly when down by a kick, late.

I remain astounded that 'Goldy' is not on an AFL list - @ the very least a 'Rookie List'.
He is as good (if not better) than Stokes IMHO - he's still only 23 too!
Well done on 100 games.
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby wedgetail » Sun May 04, 2014 9:01 pm

South was all over us in the first half showing more intensity, skill and killing us in the clearances. Eagles had many players down on form and Eddy was mercurial and Patty G couldn't have done much more to stop him. The third quarter saw a big lift in intensity from the Eagles and they finally got some clearances to dominate the quarter, possibly their best for the year. The last quarter saw South lift again on the back of poor skill errors by the Eagles and I thought they had the game won at 8 points up. In another gutsy effort, the Eagles, probably assisted by South's lack of fit players, dug deep to snatch the character win. Jarrad outstanding, Powell a captains game and Wundke delivered when it counted. South will trouble a lot of sides this year and are a vastly different side to last year.
Luck is where opportunity meets preparation
wedgetail
Under 18s

Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby RB » Sun May 04, 2014 9:03 pm

LPH wrote:I remain astounded that 'Goldy' is not on an AFL list - @ the very least a 'Rookie List'.
Yeah it makes you wonder sometimes the guys the AFL clubs miss.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby Mr Fuller » Sun May 04, 2014 9:07 pm

LPH wrote:I remain astounded that 'Goldy' is not on an AFL list - @ the very least a 'Rookie List'.
Well done on 100 games.

At his size, speed is a non-negotiable to be on an AFL list. Stokes was/is a fair bit quicker than Goldsworthy and is why he is playing AFL while Goldy is here.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby Aerie » Sun May 04, 2014 9:15 pm

Mr Fuller wrote:
Well done on 100 games.

At his size, speed is a non-negotiable to be on an AFL list. Stokes was/is a fair bit quicker than Goldsworthy and is why he is playing AFL while Goldy is here.

Have always thought he is a very similar player to Adam Schneider, who carved a good career for himself with Sydney and St Kilda. Reckon he would step in to AFL football quite easily - he is quick of mind. Not at his form of last year yet IMO - although may get more votes from the umpires as it's hard to tell the difference between him and twin brother Lachy McGregor.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby dedja » Sun May 04, 2014 9:15 pm

So, to the artist formerly known as LEH, are you seriously expecting us to believe that you barracked for South over the Eagles today without any ounce of your being wanting the Eagles to win or at least do well?
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby LPH » Sun May 04, 2014 9:30 pm

I didn't say that but...
I supported South all day
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Second Team » Sun May 04, 2014 10:01 pm

Hey PANTHER PACK . Any smart comments today. With Norwood next week and then Port I think the party is now over. West won and South lost. Order in the footy world has been restored. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Second Team
Rookie

Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Panther Pack » Sun May 04, 2014 10:13 pm

Second Team wrote:Hey PANTHER PACK . Any smart comments today. With Norwood next week and then Port I think the party is now over. West won and South lost. Order in the footy world has been restored. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Hey mate yeah here is a comment for you to enjoy.

You are a flog of the highest order. Hope that helps you out mate :D
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby dedja » Sun May 04, 2014 10:15 pm

Hooray! :lol:
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby johntheclaret » Sun May 04, 2014 10:18 pm

Second Team wrote:Hey PANTHER PACK . Any smart comments today. With Norwood next week and then Port I think the party is now over. West won and South lost. Order in the footy world has been restored. :shock: :shock: :shock:

South's loss have anything todo with being 3 players down on the bench?
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Panther Pack » Sun May 04, 2014 10:18 pm

Really gutsy effort by South today to be down to only 18 fit men for the entire 2nd half and hit the lead halfway through the final quarter showed real spirit when the Eagles had 3 fit guys rotating of the bench.

If I were a Eagles supporter id be disappointed that with 3 extra players fit they only just got over the line.

Would have been interesting if South didn't get those injuries.

People weren't kidding about Wundke's weight does he get half price meals at the Eagles Bar and Bistro cause he he is a big boy!!!!!!
Panther Pack
Reserves

Postby southee » Sun May 04, 2014 10:29 pm

Must say if there was a positive out of the day was to hear the South supporters give it most of the day to Wundke Boyd & Ainger ....

Especially going down the race after the game. Wundke looked very uncomfortable with head down ... While Ainger gave a smile :)

Boyd was beaten all day by Veide !

Big chants and shouts of "show me the money !" and "who ate all the pies!" :lol:

We will take the loss but we will be back with a vengeance next week :)

Good effort with no bench and injured players on the field (Achee , Cross).....

If I was a eagle supporter I would not be gloating about today's win by any means .
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 858 times
Been liked: 122 times

Postby Mr Fuller » Sun May 04, 2014 10:50 pm

southee wrote:Must say if there was a positive out of the day was to hear the South supporters give it most of the day to Wundke Boyd & Ainger ....

Especially going down the race after the game. Wundke looked very uncomfortable with head down ... While Ainger gave a smile :)

Boyd was beaten all day by Veide !

Big chants and shouts of "show me the money !" and "who ate all the pies!" :lol:

We will take the loss but we will be back with a vengeance next week :)

Good effort with no bench and injured players on the field (Achee , Cross).....

If I was a eagle supporter I would not be gloating about today's win by any means .

Wundke is a big boy no doubt. Was ordinary first couple of weeks but has showed his value in the last two games. Great to have a full-forward who is a reliable kick for goal for a change!

Eagles are certainly not gloating and will take any win they can get given we are missing a host of regular senior players who will hopefully be right to go next time we play South.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby Second Team » Sun May 04, 2014 11:02 pm

Panther Pack wrote:

I actually said the same thing but I rose above it and took out the 'massive flogger' comment. Chin up pal. :shock: :shock:
Second Team
Rookie

Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Panther Pack » Sun May 04, 2014 11:20 pm

Second Team wrote:
Panther Pack wrote:

I actually said the same thing but I rose above it and took out the 'massive flogger' comment. Chin up pal. :shock: :shock:

You wanted a comment you got 1 glad you enjoyed it !
Panther Pack
Reserves

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL