End of the 1st Qtr

All discussions to do with the SANFL

End of the 1st Qtr

Postby johntheclaret » Sun May 04, 2014 9:19 pm

With a shortened season, we are now a quarter of the way through.

Port Reserves looking like they might run away with it due to their unrealistic advantage. They are a able to draw on their AFL stars whilst topping up with experience, hardened SANFL players. People may well talk about how the Reserve Clubs will be affected as injuries mount to their respective AFL sides but in Port's case it seems they have this covered by the level of SANFL players retained on their list. This year might be a learning curve for the SANFL committee who, hopefully, will address the balance next year. Forecast finish 1st

Adelaide Crows Reserves are pretty much where most people expected them to be. Whilst they can be competitive as the win two week's ago proved, they won't dominate the league in the same way that Port will do this year. They also have the disadvantage of the quality of stock available when injuries mount in their AFL side. You would expect Adelaide to finish in the bottom 3 which will be perfectly acceptable for a development squad. Forecast finish 9th

Of the two "no voters" South is doing rather well and outperformed most peoples expectations including I suspect, many South supporters.
Eddy for the Panthers has been a revelation this year and his goals have been instrumental in their success. The whole club seems to have lifted and got behind a relatively unknown and unproven coach. Free flowing and the ability to kick goals in abundance should see South there or there abouts come season end. Their big problem, just like every other club in the league, will be how they fair when the injuries pile up. This week saw them lose 3 to injury. Having to play with a depleted bench for more than half a game is tough for any team. The fact that South came back to snatch the lead again before succumbing to a couple of late goals show the determination they this year, when in the same circumstances in previous years would have seen them roll over and lose by a much bigger margin. Forecast finish 4th

Centrals haven't recovered from the loss of the Gowan twins along with some other inspirational players and their new recruits don't appear to have the same drive and determine as the old guard which has turned attention onto their coach Roy Laird. Laird has been a fantastic coach for Centrals making him one of the most successful coaches in SANFL history and the dominance of the Centals side through the noughties was record breaking. To sustain that level of dominance year after year is impossible. Ask Man Utd. Centrals had a group of players that stood out from the rest, not just a couple of great players like most clubs have but a team of great players. There was always going to be a time when these great players retired or moved on and Centrals were never going to be able to replace them. It's a rebuilding time for the Dogs which might take a few years and maybe a new Coach, but to panic now and remove mid season would be a mistake. Forecast finish 8th

Woodville West Torrens hVe been there or thereabouts for a few years now, often the bridesmaid and it looks like they will miss out again this year. Wundke, Ainger and Grocke provide a potent forward line up as proved this week with 8 goal between them and at full strength the Eagles will be difficult to beat. They have a settled squad and have made some good acquisitions this year to strengthen that squad. It's hard to see anyone other than Port from denying then top spot . Forecast finish 2nd

Premiers Norwood are proving disappointing this year and whilst Redleg fans might point to the fact they suffered heavy losses of stock during the closed season, I might be fair to say that the new recruits don't understand or aren't skilled enough to execute the Norwood gameplan. Couple this to a very inexperienced coach who is trying to carry on the same strategy that worked so well for two seasons under Bassett and you seem to end up with a mix that is no longer stopping sides from scoring and not scoring big themselves. It is possible that playing a gameplan and coaching a gameplan are not necessarily complimentary. Forecast finish 5th

Sturt are another that has surprised many so far. They were expected to struggle more this year than last after losing so many back to their club in the Crows. They did however recruit very well, particularly from Port Adelaide and are playing some very attractive footy. Hard at the ball and the man, they are also very quick at moving the ball forward. When they have the ball they create spare men to give it to and when they don't have the ball they are very aggressive at closing the opposition down and winning it back. A traditional SANFL approach that has somewhat been lost over the years, and importantly, they play and look like a team. Forecast finish 3rd

Glenelg were a bit of an enigma. Made some big signings and looked like they meant business. After last season they had to do something about strengthening the squad but to many Bays fans the problems at the club ran deeper than the lack of skill on the oval. Apart from one upset, there doesn't appear to be enough changes in the mentality st the club for them to pull away from the foot of the table. With the likes of big Clint Alleway they have the capacity to kick a big score but many would also question whether players like Alleway, in the twilight of their career have the stamina and the desire to perform at SANFL level. The other problem for Glenelg is that their Spoon rivals in both South and Sturt have significantly improved this year. Forecast finish 10th

Westies started the season with confidence. They had a new coach and looked like they were building on what they had achieved over the last two seasons. Injuries have hurt them and it is hard to see where they will be come the final day. What does seem to be disappointing, not only to most watchers from other clubs but to a growing number of their own fans, is that the gamplan seems be to be the same flooding defensive approach. Still came back this week and kicked a hatful of goals and maybe with a few others coming in West may develop a more attacking style. Four straight loses at the beginning of a 20 game season might have left them with a gap to far to have an impact on the finals this year. Forecast finish 7th

North just beggar to deceive. One week irrepressible, the next week a basket case. Personally I am not convinced about the coach yet. He was from Port yet Strurt seem to get the best named recruits. We have been flattered by the scoreboard more than once this year Sturt being the latest and we don't fight enough we we are in possession. Injuries are racking up forcing North to play inexperienced youngsters which have made an impact on the performances but the big worry is the reaction from the experienced players out there. Our skill levels, which have been a bit up and down fro years, seemed to have dropped as does our kicking and decision making. still in the five just, but North Re likely to be one of a bunch who will fight it out for 5th place. Forecast finish 6th

One thing has stood out as a big positive this year in that all 8 SANFL clubs are competing on a level playing field without the advantage or disadvantage of the influence AFL listed players had in previous years. Unfortunately there seems to be far more negatives with the current situation which will need to be addressed for next season if the SANFL are to have any chAnce of surviving.
Last edited by johntheclaret on Sun May 04, 2014 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Re: End of the 1st Qtr

Postby Jim05 » Sun May 04, 2014 9:28 pm

Pretty fair summary there Johnny, im enjoying not having AFL players determine the outcome of matches and having to cater for late in or outs. Port are a fair bit ahead of the other sides and would be short priced favourites. Probably good in a way if they win it because that will force the hands of the clubs to insist on massive changes next year.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Wedgie » Sun May 04, 2014 9:30 pm

Good work JTC!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby johntheclaret » Sun May 04, 2014 9:35 pm

Wedgie wrote:Good work JTC!

Cheers Wedgie

I'm hoping others will post their qty season analysis
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun May 04, 2014 9:36 pm

you summised it beautifully, nothing else to add really
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Groucho » Sun May 04, 2014 9:38 pm

Don't see Central winning another game. That would make them 10th by my Maths. Couldn't even beat the Crows when every one else has. This is the worst team in club history or at the very least in the last 20 years.
Groucho
Under 18s

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 160 times

Postby Jim05 » Sun May 04, 2014 9:48 pm

Groucho wrote:Don't see Central winning another game. That would make them 10th by my Maths. Couldn't even beat the Crows when every one else has. This is the worst team in club history or at the very least in the last 20 years.

You beat us though
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Groucho » Sun May 04, 2014 9:53 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Groucho wrote:Don't see Central winning another game. That would make them 10th by my Maths. Couldn't even beat the Crows when every one else has. This is the worst team in club history or at the very least in the last 20 years.

You beat us though

Same as the premierships. Didn't happen.
Seems like I dreamt it doesn't seem real anymore.
Last edited by Groucho on Sun May 04, 2014 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Groucho
Under 18s

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 160 times

Postby SANFLnut » Sun May 04, 2014 9:53 pm

Loved the comment that the 8 genuine clubs are on an even playing field. If the Commission had got Port's entry conditions correct (ie. the same as Crows) then this could have been a real positive for SANFL. To allow Port to retain so many league players and then recruit other highly experienced players by fudging the rules is such a shame and demonstrates weak leadership.
SANFLnut
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby SANFLnut » Sun May 04, 2014 10:03 pm

I would also say that given the rate of change this year with so many new coaches, players and teams it is too early to judge where many teams are at. Ladder could look radically different in 3 weeks. If Westies win their next 3 and South or Sturt lose their next 3 then their relative rankings will be very different. Ditto for Norwood, North, Centrals or Bays. Jury still well and truly out on most sides.
SANFLnut
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby dedja » Sun May 04, 2014 10:08 pm

Reasonable summation at this stage of the year JTC, but I'd also agree with SANFLnut that it's too early to forecast the rest of the season with results wildly fluctuating.

Probably one of the most open and unpredictable seasons in memory.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby johntheclaret » Sun May 04, 2014 10:23 pm

SANFLnut wrote:I would also say that given the rate of change this year with so many new coaches, players and teams it is too early to judge where many teams are at. Ladder could look radically different in 3 weeks. If Westies win their next 3 and South or Sturt lose their next 3 then their relative rankings will be very different. Ditto for Norwood, North, Centrals or Bays. Jury still well and truly out on most sides.

Pretty fair point there Nutty.
I guess the Forecast placings were unnecessary as it was a Qtr time review.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby heater31 » Sun May 04, 2014 10:33 pm

Also I don't think South's coach is unproven. Brad Gotch has coached 3 VFA/VFL clubs and worked at 3 AFL clubs as well. Certainly has experience.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby johntheclaret » Sun May 04, 2014 10:58 pm

heater31 wrote:Also I don't think South's coach is unproven. Brad Gotch has coached 3 VFA/VFL clubs and worked at 3 AFL clubs as well. Certainly has experience.

Yeah, I meant at SANFL level
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby RB » Sun May 04, 2014 11:40 pm

It's good to see that you're not overreacting, at least. :-)
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby dedja » Sun May 04, 2014 11:51 pm

If it's the worst Central team in history then I hope that in Round 7 at the Bay, the last score doesn't hit the post so the Bays can get that elusive 50th goal.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby Ian » Mon May 05, 2014 6:37 am

Great summary JTC, still don't know how you do it from the other side of the world, I would struggle with that from here.
North Adelaide F C : Champions of Aust 1972 : Premiers 1900, 02, 05, 20, 30, 31, 49, 52, 60, 71, 72, 87, 91
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby johntheclaret » Mon May 05, 2014 7:41 pm

Ian wrote:Great summary JTC, still don't know how you do it from the other side of the world, I would struggle with that from here.

I have too much time on my hands these days mate :D
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby Tech1 » Mon May 05, 2014 9:18 pm

Good summary, i think our second half of the year will be better though and we might avoid the spoon...just.
Tech1
Rookie

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby bulldogproud2 » Mon May 05, 2014 11:01 pm

dedja wrote:

If it's the worst Central team in history then I hope that in Round 7 at the Bay, the last score doesn't hit the post so the Bays can get that elusive 50th goal.

Dedja, if the Glenelg team of 2014 was as good as the team of 1975, that would be a hugeeeeeee chance of happening *grins*
Sadly, I think our two teams will be the ones battling it out for the wooden spoon (perhaps with the Crows) and there will be lucky to be ten goals scored by any team.
Cheers
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Board index   Football  SANFL