Brad Symes Announces Retirement

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Brad Symes Announces Retirement

Postby Bounce of the ball » Mon May 05, 2014 10:33 pm

southee wrote:
Bounce of the ball wrote:Unfortunately for Symes this wasn't the first head knock. Maybe that needs to be taken into account as well. Yes the game has changed but was it that bad ? Least he didn't cop gutless ones from behind or in packs .Ironic.

Are you for real???

Absolutely. Look ..................with all due respects to Symes I do not blame Grocke for his retirement. I think many are being really unfair on him. So yes, very serious.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby Big Phil » Mon May 05, 2014 10:35 pm

Bounce of the ball wrote:
southee wrote:
Bounce of the ball wrote:Unfortunately for Symes this wasn't the first head knock. Maybe that needs to be taken into account as well. Yes the game has changed but was it that bad ? Least he didn't cop gutless ones from behind or in packs .Ironic.

Are you for real???

Absolutely. Look ..................with all due respects to Symes I do not blame Grocke for his retirement. I think many are being really unfair on him. So yes, very serious.

I see what you are getting at, but if Grocke didn't do what he did, heat of the battle or not, this thread wouldn't exist...
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby Bounce of the ball » Mon May 05, 2014 10:38 pm

sjt wrote:

You probably "cop gutless ones from behind".

If you have nothing sensible to add footy wise you probably have no idea about footy. Just sayin. These are the ones we all knew about. ;)
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Postby bulldogproud2 » Mon May 05, 2014 10:41 pm

Yes, it was that bad!!
Wishing there was a dislike button for comments. An atrocious comment at a time like this.
At the same time, there is no way I would want anyone to try to seek revenge on Grocke. That doesn't solve anything. I am sure that Grocke's conscience is giving him enough trouble already.
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby bulldogproud2 » Mon May 05, 2014 10:42 pm

Now to the important thing:

Brad, you have been a champion player and ARE a champion man. Thank you for the wonderful contribution you have given to the Doggies in your playing career. Wishing you all the best for your future career as a husband, father and businessman. Also hoping we will not lose you completely from Central. Your knowledge of the game will be wonderful to pass on to younger Doggies.
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby Big Phil » Mon May 05, 2014 10:50 pm

Well said, in both posts, bulldogproud2...
Big Phil
Coach

Postby Bounce of the ball » Mon May 05, 2014 10:56 pm

Big Phil wrote:
southee wrote:

Are you for real???

I see what you are getting at, but if Grocke didn't do what he did, heat of the battle or not, this thread wouldn't exist...

Of course not . I think it's over the top ...however thats my opinion which I'm entitled to. I think you understand my point Phil.Thanks.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Postby Bounce of the ball » Mon May 05, 2014 11:08 pm

Big Phil wrote:
Bounce of the ball wrote:Unfortunately for Symes this wasn't the first head knock.

Yeah, something like 8 or 9 concussions from about Under 16's through to senior footy...

Bounce of the ball wrote:Maybe that needs to be taken into account as well. Yes the game has changed but was it that bad ? Least he didn't cop gutless ones from behind or in packs .Ironic.

:roll:

I never mentioned the Gowans ? You did though.

Lost me on Michael Coad and Andrew Whiteman though .

Now come on matey , if you want to throw it expect it back . You have posted after this yet ignored it. You know why , cos you know Im right.Now don't wrangle it up . You said it not me. So you must think something was going on there . Onya Phil. Youuuuuuuu dogssssss
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Postby luketorrens » Mon May 05, 2014 11:12 pm

Not good news but a good decision to protect his health.

My young fella had a concussion last year and the neurologist we saw recommended that even after one concussion, that he never play contact sport such as football. This neuro is involved in research into head injuries in AFL and NRL at the moment and said they are expecting an epidemic of brain injuries to show up in players of the past. Blokes who are still young getting dementia and the like. Terrible.
luketorrens
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby Big Phil » Mon May 05, 2014 11:21 pm

Bounce of the ball wrote:Of course not . I think it's over the top ...however thats my opinion which I'm entitled to. I think you understand my point Phil.Thanks.

I really do understand your point but just don't see the need for your secondary comment, regardless of whether people are entitled to opinions, or not...

I actually enjoy some of your opinions but more often than not find myself ignoring them and stupidly biting back at your cheap pot shots or hidden agenda posts...

But, hey, that is just my opinion, which, like you, I am entitled to...
Big Phil
Coach

Postby Big Phil » Mon May 05, 2014 11:26 pm

Anyway, back to the topic at hand...

Well done to Brad on a pretty good career...

Was never the most skilled player but always gave it his all and was a fantastic role model for the footy club, on and off the field...

Good luck in your future endeavors, Brad...
Big Phil
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Tue May 06, 2014 2:24 am

I think maybe just out of respect for the guy and what he has achieved over his career, posters could just leave messages of good luck and appreciation instead of raking up crap or taking the thread off topic.

If you don't rate him or have other opinions of the bloke then be gracious and don't post them here.

He wasn't a North man so I didn't really take a lot of notice of him, but 99 games for the Dogs and 2 premierships, along with 80 AFL games is an achievement to be proud of and one that many others would like to boast. All I can add to that is good luck to him and commiserations that he missed out on the ton. Ivens at North retired 1 short too this year too.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby saintal » Tue May 06, 2014 9:32 am

Sad way to finish a career.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby downspine » Tue May 06, 2014 9:49 am

Fingers crossed there are no long lasting effects from the number of times he has been concussed
downspine
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 4 times

Postby JK » Tue May 06, 2014 12:57 pm

southee wrote:

Are you for real???

At the end of the day, the final act of Symes career was to get KO'ed by a gutless cheap shot. Whilst not responsible for all of the other knocks Symes has copped over the years, there can be no denying Grocke has ended his career. Would be a terrible thing to live with I'd imagine.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2984 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby bennymacca » Tue May 06, 2014 3:50 pm

was a horrible cheap shot, worse than bickley on wakelin back in the day.

Great career Brad, thought he should have played more AFL games than he did.

I like to think I had a hand in his career, he used to kick bags of goals on me at U17 level. Surely the scouts noticed him after that :D
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Grahaml » Tue May 06, 2014 4:30 pm

Always had the feeling this was coming. He'll retire never getting to 100 senior games for any club now. Was a very good player. Not quite good enough to be an AFL regular but super damaging at SANFL level.

Just saddens me that in this day and age, knowing what we do about concussions and the repercussions of belting blokes in the head, that you can't walk onto the field trusting the other players. Hopefully Grocke learns his lesson (if he doesn't he won't get another chance at least) but more importantly players need to start waking up to the dangers and realise that if you can't be trusted, you shouldn't play. Fingers crossed we don't end up with such an issue that blokes get rubbed out for life on the back of offenses like that one.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby CedeNullis » Tue May 06, 2014 5:06 pm

southee wrote:

Are you for real???

The post of A Grade Troll. Ignore him.
CedeNullis
Under 16s

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby the joker » Tue May 06, 2014 5:10 pm

Saw him the other day, my wife thinks I see him to much and spend to much cash, lucky for a bit of discount at his shop. He is fine with the decision. Just starting a family and has a business going very well. Footy was down in the pecking order anyway
I love vegatarian food. It goes great with steak.
the joker
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue May 06, 2014 5:21 pm

This is the exact reason the AFL want to legislate the bump out of the game, and if you look at it in this context they are right
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL