Round 7 - Port Magpies v South @ Alberton inc Post Match

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Round 7 - Port Magpies v South @ Alberton inc Post Matc

Postby southee » Sun May 18, 2014 8:50 pm

Dols wrote:
blueandwhite wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Disappointing crowd IMO.
Fantastic weather yesterday for a top of the table clash especially when Ports A grade side had the bye.
Would of though 5k as a minimum would of been acceptable

as someone who attends every game South play I would say that is the largest contingent of South supporters Ive seen at Alberton for many a year.!
would have lucky to be 2-300 south supporters there. They were easy to spot, they were the ones that continually shouted out "cheaters". Wipe your eyes princesses.

And how correct the South supporters there were in calling you "cheaters"as you know, you are!

The game truly showed just want a "cock"up the SANFL and other teams have made by voting YES to having these ressies teams in the comp.

Sad thing is seeing teams like Sturt and South really improving this year with the possibility of playing finals and highly likely to get beaten by the full time cheating professionals.
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 858 times
Been liked: 122 times

Postby Big Phil » Sun May 18, 2014 9:53 pm

Dols wrote:cheating implies a breach of the rules. Which rule? Yep that's right none of them. I am not going to lower myself to call you a wanker, you are not, you are that little stain on the sheet after the wank.

Dols, you are right, you are not cheating, you are only playing under the guidelines in which you were set by the powers to be - pardon the pun.

Regardless of what conditions the Magpies are playing under, do you feel that it is an even playing field the rest of the competition is up against? Don't you want to have your side be the best in an even and fair playing field or are you happy to gloat in the domination of your side that has clear and unfair advantage?

Perhaps go and ask some of your former club legends how they REALLY feel about the current set-up and domination of the SANFL competition?

One Club, One Inequitable Advantage.
Last edited by Big Phil on Sun May 18, 2014 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby dedja » Sun May 18, 2014 9:55 pm

So is No Mercy full of shit Dols?
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 992 times

Postby Dols » Sun May 18, 2014 9:59 pm

Big Phil wrote:
Dols wrote:cheating implies a breach of the rules. Which rule? Yep that's right none of them. I am not going to lower myself to call you a wanker, you are not, you are that little stain on the sheet after the wank.

Dols, you are right, you are not cheating, you are only playing under the guidelines in which you were set by the powers to be - pardon the pun.

Regardless of what conditions the Magpies are playing under, do you feel that it is an even playing field the rest of the competition is up against? Don't you want to have your side be the best in an even and fair playing field or are you happy to gloat in the domination of your side that has clear and unfair advantage?

Perhaps go and ask some of your former club legends how they REALLY feel about the current set-up and domination of the SANFL competition?

no one seems to mention the fact that the ravens are bottom. Do we think that is good for the competition? Obviously tinkering is needed but not much.
Dols
Reserves

Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby kickinit » Sun May 18, 2014 10:00 pm

*Attention Mods*

I thought all AFL reserves talk was suppose to be in the whinge thread? Seriously can't understand how simple it is to keep the crap in 1 thread. Instead week after week we have idiots talking crap in a post game thread.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby blueandwhite » Sun May 18, 2014 10:24 pm

kickinit wrote:*Attention Mods*

I thought all AFL reserves talk was suppose to be in the whinge thread? Seriously can't understand how simple it is to keep the crap in 1 thread. Instead week after week we have idiots talking crap in a post game thread.

So you are saying that after every game you play ...."we have idiots talking crap in a post game thread"... i wonder why that would be...??? :shock:
Tiocfaidh ár Lá
blueandwhite
League - Best 21

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 218 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Postby kickinit » Sun May 18, 2014 10:36 pm

blueandwhite wrote:

So you are saying that after every game you play ...."we have idiots talking crap in a post game thread"... i wonder why that would be...??? :shock:

Everyone has a opinion and they have right to voice it, that's what this forum is for. But when you have a thread that is specially for it why is the need to post it in the post game threads. The mods have already posted not to do it, but week after week it continues to happen.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby SimonH » Sun May 18, 2014 11:01 pm

Results in reserves, U/18s and U/16s were interesting, especially seeing the opponents were South who have hardly been powerhouses of the under-age (or reserves) competitions in recent years. Didn't do a lot to rebut the theory that Port's current SANFL dominance is imposed from above rather than built from below (which is kind of obvious anyway).

Presuming that the agreement struck at the end of 2013 is followed, the last U/16 side to ever run around in the prison-bars walked off the park on the weekend.
SimonH
Under 18s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 62 times

Postby saintal » Sun May 18, 2014 11:07 pm

SimonH wrote:Results in reserves, U/18s and U/16s were interesting, especially seeing the opponents were South who have hardly been powerhouses of the under-age (or reserves) competitions in recent years. Didn't do a lot to rebut the theory that Port's current SANFL dominance is imposed from above rather than built from below (which is kind of obvious anyway).

Presuming that the agreement struck at the end of 2013 is followed, the last U/16 side to ever run around in the prison-bars walked off the park on the weekend.

Yeah some pleasing results in the other grades. Not often our ressies kick 19 goals. U16s finished with 3 wins after winless campaigns in 2012 and 2013 and 1 win in 2011.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Big Phil » Sun May 18, 2014 11:13 pm

Dols wrote:
Big Phil wrote:

no one seems to mention the fact that the ravens are bottom. Do we think that is good for the competition? Obviously tinkering is needed but not much.

Different set up for the Crows Reserves. Top up players are coming from the Country Region, mate, not blokes like Steve Summerton, who is one of the best midfielders in the competition. Slightly different advantage there as well.
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby Sojourner » Sun May 18, 2014 11:39 pm

Was disappointed that South did not get near it against Port yesterday, perhaps if Port had a group of injuries as the Crows have it might have been a more even contest, yet with the bulk of the team being professional AFL players and the rest being the SANFL Magpies players that the club wanted to keep at the end of 2013 its not real surprise that at the sheer strength that they are they are going to belt the living suitcase out of anyone who plays them.

There is no point casting blame or vitriol on the PAFC though, the SANFL presidents that voted yes were well aware that this is how there team would look and that they would likely dominate the SANFL competition, Port are only playing within the parameters the SANFL set for them. My only real hope is that when Port win the SANFL Grand Final that it be over a side that voted them into the competition and not over a side that did not.

Could be interesting to see what happens when Port play a side at the bottom of the SANFL ladder, one would think that a 100pt plus thrashing would be a strong possibility, if that does happen, hopefully they too are a side that voted them in to the competition also.
Steamranger, South Australia's best ever Tourist Attraction, Treat Yourself, Let your Money Buy you Happiness!!!
Sojourner
Veteran

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby dedja » Sun May 18, 2014 11:45 pm

Forgot that the Bays lost by 152 in round 2?
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 992 times

Postby SimonH » Mon May 19, 2014 1:00 am

Sojourner wrote:... perhaps if Port had a group of injuries as the Crows have it might have been a more even contest... .
The 'injuries' line doesn't cut it any more. Adelaide had 17 AFL listed players playing on Friday night, and the 18th man on the ground at opening bounce was Ian Callinan. Can hardly blame the 3 top-ups for the performance on the night. By my count there were roughly 16 AFL-listed players in Port's team vs South.

Port Adelaide's leftover AFL-listed players are simply much better at the moment. (Probably as a result of being more experienced. Couldn't be bothered counting, but I would expect that the number of Port's SANFL squad on the weekend who have debuted at AFL level, would shade Adelaide's equivalent number.) And then the 2nd part of the equation is that there is absolutely no comparison in the quality of the top-ups/SANFL contracted players. You need to get over a critical mass of SANFL-quality (or better) players in order to 'carry' a handful that aren't at the required level. With Haren, Bruggemann, Krakouer, Biemans (and probably others), there's no doubt that they've "recruited" very well, plus retaining a smattering of last year's Magpies league and reserves players on top of Summerton and Slattery.

Having a guaranteed 5–8 non-AFL players who are up to SANFL league standard, makes the world of difference in terms of keeping you above that critical mass, bearing in mind average AFL injury lists. If you don't have that 5–8, it's not only Adelaide who wind up looking sub-standard. Peel Thunder (Fremantle reserves) are 1-7 in the WAFL, and Gold Coast Suns reserves (who've been strong in previous years) are 0-7 and a chopping block in the NEAFL—even though both sides have some players who should in theory dominate at stage league level (e.g. Jonathan Griffin in the West, Nathan Bock on the GC).
SimonH
Under 18s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 62 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon May 19, 2014 8:56 am

Dols wrote: no one seems to mention the fact that the ravens are bottom. Do we think that is good for the competition? Obviously tinkering is needed but not much.

Because they're playing under different rules to your mob.

Funnily enough, the ladder positions reflect the two concerns that people had about the inclusion of the AFL reserves sides to the competition:

1) They'd be too strong,

or

2) They don't give a stuff about results and are there for development.

The models by which both sides have gained entry to the competition seem to have brought both scenarios into effect.

At least when Port was belting the bejaysus out of everyone in the old days, they were doing it under the same rules as the rest of us.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon May 19, 2014 8:57 am

I watched the last half of the game and South were playing a great brand of footy - running hard and working for each other. Attacking.
Full credit to them.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby johntheclaret » Mon May 19, 2014 9:36 am

We'll stop posting then.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Booney » Mon May 19, 2014 9:40 am

johntheclaret wrote:

We'll stop posting then.

He said "Attention mods".... ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby stan » Mon May 19, 2014 9:47 am

Port looked too good. Way better fitness in the second half and ran over South in the end.

Still will be interesting to see when they get a few more injuries as they only have a few.

Sent from my GT-I9197 using Tapatalk
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby johntheclaret » Mon May 19, 2014 9:49 am

Booney wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:

We'll stop posting then.

Sorry. Forgot who I was :D
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby am Bays » Mon May 19, 2014 11:02 am

Booney wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:

We'll stop posting then.

He has my attention but I am ignoring him
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1807 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL