Round 7 - Port Magpies v South @ Alberton inc Post Match

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Round 7 - Port Magpies v South @ Alberton inc Post Match

Postby Big Phil » Mon May 12, 2014 11:05 pm

The Port Adelaide Football Club again emphasised their Power in the SANFL competition with their AFL Reserves side comprehensively outclassing a previously impressive Double Blues outfit. While the AFL big brother are still ticking along nicely, their little SANFL sibling will continue to be a force in our local competition and ostracise many traditional fans.

South are flying at the moment, after a big win against Norwood, so this will be a great test for them, against the team many are predicting to comfortably win the flag from here, and the Panthers will need to be at their absolute best to be chance here. They will certainly need a full team effort and hope that the home side will have an off day.

PORT MAGPIES v SOUTH ADELAIDE

Alberton Oval

Saturday, May 17th 2014

Reserves @ 11:25am

League @ 2:10pm

Broadcast - Channel 7, from 2:00pm*

*This game was initially being covered on radio by 5RPH, but C7 today advised the SANFL they want to cover this game instead, so 5RPH have swapped and will now call Glenelg v Central.
Last edited by Big Phil on Tue May 13, 2014 9:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Re: Round 7 - Port Magpies v South @ Alberton Oval (Sat 17/5

Postby dedja » Mon May 12, 2014 11:07 pm

Big Phil wrote:The Port Adelaide Football Club again emphasised their Power in the SANFL competition ...

I see what you did there ...
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby Bounce of the ball » Mon May 12, 2014 11:09 pm

Who cares but I hope South win but I doubt it. Regardless what a great opening post.

Lets hope some port supporters get to the game as well. I mean , they are the die hards and all.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby Big Phil » Mon May 12, 2014 11:32 pm

dedja wrote:
Big Phil wrote:The Port Adelaide Football Club again emphasised their Power in the SANFL competition ...

Did you? Thanks ;)
Big Phil
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Tue May 13, 2014 3:09 am

Big Phil wrote:
dedja wrote:

Did you? Thanks ;)

He never said he liked it ! :D
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Big Phil » Tue May 13, 2014 9:31 am

johntheclaret wrote:
Big Phil wrote:
dedja wrote:

Did you? Thanks ;)

He never said he liked it ! :D

I know. Don't care, though ;)
Big Phil
Coach

Postby dedja » Tue May 13, 2014 9:46 am

Enough of this diversion ... especially from you 2 who are serial offenders. :lol:

Doesn't matter how well South have been travelling, and they are hot at the moment, there's more chance of having an orgy with Megan Gale, Miranda Kerr and Jennifer Hawkins than South getting close here, and that's very sad as South deserve better.

I really hope I'm wrong though.

Port by plenty.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby johntheclaret » Tue May 13, 2014 9:55 am

Unfortunately I agree with you, our should that be.... I agree with you, unfortunately.
Even with the 3 outs mentioned previously, I personally can't see South getting within 6 goals.

Sturt were going pretty well until last week end.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Booney » Tue May 13, 2014 10:06 am

dedja wrote:Enough of this diversion ... especially from you 2 who are serial offenders. :lol:

Doesn't matter how well South have been travelling, and they are hot at the moment, there's more chance of having an orgy with Megan Gale, Miranda Kerr and Jennifer Hawkins than South getting close here, and that's very sad as South deserve better.

I really hope I'm wrong though.

Port by plenty.

About the orgy, or South?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby carey » Tue May 13, 2014 10:07 am

Bounce of the ball wrote:Who cares but I hope South win but I doubt it. Regardless what a great opening post.

Lets hope some port supporters get to the game as well. I mean , they are the die hards and all.

Tissue mate?
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Booney » Tue May 13, 2014 10:10 am

Bounce of the ball wrote:Who cares but I hope South win but I doubt it. Regardless what a great opening post.

All clubs have die hards. All clubs have fair weather supporters. All clubs have people who aren't willing to admit who they support to others.

Saturday afternoon, PAFC AFL side with the weekend off, top of the table. Should be 4000+ if the Southern Express Way gets some traffic.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby darley16 » Tue May 13, 2014 10:23 am

For a club who rightly voted against this fiasco i would like to see South rest the majority of our best players and play a number of reserves players to get experience against an AFL side and by doing so voice their displeasure against this uneven playing field. Sadly they won't and we'll all see the result of a game between full-time professional footballers against part-time semi professional footballers that will further embarrass the SANFL in allowing this disaster to take place.
darley16
Under 18s

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby therisingblues » Tue May 13, 2014 10:32 am

darley16 wrote:For a club who rightly voted against this fiasco i would like to see South rest the majority of our best players and play a number of reserves players to get experience against an AFL side and by doing so voice their displeasure against this uneven playing field. Sadly they won't and we'll all see the result of a game between full-time professional footballers against part-time semi professional footballers that will further embarrass the SANFL in allowing this disaster to take place.

I like the idea, except for the fact that history would only record the result, and not the fact that South fielded a reserves side against an AFL reserves side. If South rested their best players against this juggernaut, the result could get very, very ugly, and future generations will just look at the record books and say things like, "Gee, South were really shit before the SANFL became totally irrelevant!".
No sarcasm intended, but we are all on a hiding to nothing no matter what we do.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby cennals05 » Tue May 13, 2014 10:33 am

South could be in with a chance here. If Port give some of their reserves players the week off because of the bye like the Crows did, they may not be at full strength. Slattery will most likely be an out as well.
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby therisingblues » Tue May 13, 2014 10:40 am

cennals05 wrote:South could be in with a chance here. If Port give some of their reserves players the week off because of the bye like the Crows did, they may not be at full strength. Slattery will most likely be an out as well.

Really? I thought winning was their number one priority, and their best available side would be on the park for all games.
P.S Am I allowed to mention this on this thread? I know some want to pretend that it's not happening and we aren't allowed to pop their bubbles.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby westcoastpanther » Tue May 13, 2014 10:42 am

Let's just toughen up and beat them, we're playing well with an experienced coach who has us playing an AFL style of footy that is capable of taking them on.

Flat track bullies so far...
Hi, My name is Ron 'Bluey' Dunn. Did you know I played in the 61 & 62 Tasman Premiership sides....
westcoastpanther
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 150 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Booney » Tue May 13, 2014 11:12 am

therisingblues wrote:
cennals05 wrote:South could be in with a chance here. If Port give some of their reserves players the week off because of the bye like the Crows did, they may not be at full strength. Slattery will most likely be an out as well.

Really? I thought winning was their number one priority, and their best available side would be on the park for all games.
P.S Am I allowed to mention this on this thread? I know some want to pretend that it's not happening and we aren't allowed to pop their bubbles.

And here's poor old Topsy lamenting at how slow the "pro-AFL" lobby is on the uptake. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Macca19 » Tue May 13, 2014 11:14 am

therisingblues wrote:

Pretty sure theres still rules in place on who can and cant play in bye weeks.
Macca19
League - Best 21

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby heater31 » Tue May 13, 2014 11:26 am

Any AFL left overs going shark cage diving this week like some of the crows boys did last week?

Might be a good week to get them, most of the squad for the weekend will have had 4 days off.....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby blueandwhite » Tue May 13, 2014 11:28 am

At last count South have 2 players injured gone for the year, and another 5 injured who would be walk up starts if fit. Also 3-4 others who are injured who would be handy replacements. South do not have the rehab facilities or expert sports med budget of an AFL club either.
At last count Port will have 15 AFL listed, fulltime professional players playing on Saturday, who train or play 7 days a week. I saw a couple of South players digging a trench yesterday..before racing off to do a 2 hr hour training session last night, others are studying or working fulltime.They werent busy doing skills work running around witches hats, doing rehab or weights or honing their understanding of the game plan.

This years SANFL season is absolutely ludicrous. It is a grossly uneven competition. The clubs that voted for this diabolical shambles should hang their collective heads in shame. The SANFL commission is a disgrace for even contemplating this debacle.....

Having said that... I think South will take it right up to Port.
For those who havent twigged yet, this South Adelaide team ,its vastly different to the inept whipping boys of the past...
Tiocfaidh ár Lá
blueandwhite
League - Best 21

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 218 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL