What is you interest so far in the SANFL competition in 2014

All discussions to do with the SANFL

What is you interest so far in the SANFL competition in 2014?

Im more interested in the league due to the AFL teams
9%
No change, Im passionate as ever about the league
27%
Im less interested in the league due to the AFL teams
63%

Total votes : 95

What is you interest so far in the SANFL competition in 2014

Postby bennymacca » Wed May 21, 2014 12:24 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Ecky wrote:
Dutchy wrote:So 62% have lost interest in the League, only 11% have more interest because of the AFL teams, not exactly what was sold to us at the club meetings to explain the yes decision or what is being sold to us in the media.

With clubs already struggling how can they sustain in this new environment where people are losing/lost interest?

But putting my statistician's hat on and playing the devil's advocate, how biased a sample are we?
Crowds don't seem to be down by as much as our little poll would suggest...

Biased? I think our members are a good cross section of SANFL support, Im not sure where else you might get a more accurate sample of people who are "core" SANFL supporters than here.

He doesn't meant biased in a derogatory sense. But the fact that you say there are mostly "core" supporters on here proves your point.

Support is not just about the core supporters but how it appeals to the whole cross section of people.

And given crowds aren't down (yet at least) maybe there is at least some other part of the spectrum of supporters that like the change.

Novelty and curiosity have certainly piqued the interest of some. Of course you have to be careful not to alienate the long term supporters which is what this change may have done.

But I still think most of these supporters will return in the long term.

I would describe myself as a former diehard but now somewhat casual and also conflicted centrals fan and my interest is probably higher than the last couple of years but still not as high as the rest of this century.
Last edited by bennymacca on Wed May 21, 2014 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Re: What is you interest so far in the SANFL competition in

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed May 21, 2014 1:04 pm

If Port didn't have such a leg up I'd be more interested. I'm not as knowledgeable as some about the local league but surely the conditions need to be modified to some extent for the Magpies next year.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Wed May 21, 2014 1:30 pm

Haven't renewed my Eagles membership.

The one interest in the Eagles is to see how some of those youngsters who have been around for a little while are going, Poole, von Bertouch, Batley, Martyn, Sinor, etc.

Have watched only bits and pieces of it, including the Eagles game on Ch 7 - who are doing a pretty good job IMO, they're not the reason.

If South are in the GF I'll go, probably if Sturt are, unlikely too in any other combination. This probably goes for a handful of family as well, including the old man who only missed 1 at Footy Park and 3 in the last 50 years
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Wed May 21, 2014 1:39 pm

Oh, and while I can't get to many games (so I'm not a huge loss), usually would make an effort to get to 3-4 minor round games, but barely thought to try since this all became an issue mid-last year.
And don't go to any AFL games. Or country or amatuer footy any more - this isn't a consequence of the AFL reserves issue, but is still not money footy isn't getting.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby matt » Wed May 21, 2014 3:55 pm

Down. Going to my first game for the season this Saturday.
It would appear crowds are slightly up across the board but this isn't a true reflection on the state of the league.
Do we have data on club memberships May 2014 v May 2013?
matt
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Dutchy » Wed May 21, 2014 4:52 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Ecky wrote:
Dutchy wrote:So 62% have lost interest in the League, only 11% have more interest because of the AFL teams, not exactly what was sold to us at the club meetings to explain the yes decision or what is being sold to us in the media.

With clubs already struggling how can they sustain in this new environment where people are losing/lost interest?

But putting my statistician's hat on and playing the devil's advocate, how biased a sample are we?
Crowds don't seem to be down by as much as our little poll would suggest...

Biased? I think our members are a good cross section of SANFL support, Im not sure where else you might get a more accurate sample of people who are "core" SANFL supporters than here.

He doesn't meant biased in a derogatory sense. But the fact that you say there are mostly "core" supporters on here proves your point.

Support is not just about the core supporters but how it appeals to the whole cross section of people.

And given crowds aren't down (yet at least) maybe there is at least some other part of the spectrum of supporters that like the change.

Novelty and curiosity have certainly piqued the interest of some. Of course you have to be careful not to alienate the long term supporters which is what this change may have done.

But I still think most of these supporters will return in the long term.

I would describe myself as a former diehard but now somewhat casual and also conflicted centrals fan and my interest is probably higher than the last couple of years but still not as high as the rest of this century.

Core supporters are the ones that have followed their clubs and the league thru think and thin over many years, putting $ through the club via membership, merchandise, food, drink etc...Essentially the lifeblood of a footy club...

Those that may have a higher interest in the league now because of the AFL teams may watch on TV or go to the odd game (which AFC members get in for free) aren't the lifeblood of footy clubs.

Core support has dropped no doubt, and this poll proves it. Many clubs didn't even allow their core members to have any input into the decision, mine was just happy with the $50k from the Crows.

Once you have lost these supporters they will never return, a long term habit of going to the footy has been broken by a non genuine competition and failed administration.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed May 21, 2014 4:53 pm

Fair point, I do agree that the core supporters are the lifeblood.

Times are a changin that's for sure.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed May 21, 2014 5:54 pm

I used to go to 95% of all Glenelg matches

now I go to zero

the result would always influence the mood for the next week, now I don't care.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11841 times
Been liked: 3598 times

Postby Bounce of the ball » Wed May 21, 2014 9:18 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:I used to go to 95% of all Glenelg matches

now I go to zero

So the Bays make the GF soon .............will you go ?

Really ? I know Glenelg supporters drop off and jump on very quickly .................but seeya !!

Clubs need supporters not barrackers.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby sjt » Wed May 21, 2014 9:34 pm

Columbo wrote:I'm as interested as always, will be there every week regardless of who The Eagles play hoping to beat whoever it is.
Whilst it has been disappointing to lose guys that have come up through the ranks and others that became part of the club via the mini draft the bonus this year has been the emergence of guys such as Von Bertouch, Poole, Lloyd, Batley and last weekend Sinor who may have otherwise got stuck in the reserves and maybe given up and headed for the ammos or the country without reaching their full potential. Im sure all 8 clubs would have players in the same situation.
So i'm probably in the minority here by saying I support the concept. I do believe it needs some tweaking though, what that is and how it happens I don't know. Maybe one day there will be an AFL reserves comp, and things will change again, who knows.
The broader issue whether we like it or not is the competition changed in 1991 and again in 1997 and with 18 teams now competing at the highest level that is where most kids who are serious about their footy will aspire to be. The SANFL now is a stepping stone to the highest level, just as junior clubs provide that same step to the next level.
The competition needs to adapt to stay relevant, hard decisions are usually not popular decisions and popular decisions are not always the right decisions, lets see how the remainder of the season pans out.

I don't really under this "adapt to stay relevant" comment. Until the last two years my understanding is average crowds attending the sanfl have remained pretty constant, since ports entry. The afl with its constant adaption has seen (from memory) a drop of about 6 & 12% for the Mcg and ethiad respectively. I do understand you need to constantly review the leagues strengths and weaknesses, but as has been mentioned the professionals inclusion has added nothing to the sanfl relevance but succeeded in destroying its integrity.
sjt
League - Best 21

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 59 times

Postby Mic » Wed May 21, 2014 10:03 pm

I care a lot less when we lose now, which will be very handy this year.
Mic
League - Top 5

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 144 times

Postby Columbo » Wed May 21, 2014 11:13 pm

sjt wrote:I don't really under this "adapt to stay relevant" comment. Until the last two years my understanding is average crowds attending the sanfl have remained pretty constant, since ports entry. The afl with its constant adaption has seen (from memory) a drop of about 6 & 12% for the Mcg and ethiad respectively. I do understand you need to constantly review the leagues strengths and weaknesses, but as has been mentioned the professionals inclusion has added nothing to the sanfl relevance but succeeded in destroying its integrity.

Adapt to stay relevant may have not been the best choice of words, and i deleted some of what i said around that statement before i hit send. I was thinking in terms of the talk of the AFL sides fielding the ressies side in the amateur league. Had that happened I suspect we would have been thrashing out lots of other issues on here one of which may have been reduced coverage, would Ch7 have been so keen to hop on board had the amateurs been home to the ressies sides, the other more important one for clubs may have been sponsors $$ going elsewhere.

The other thing I was thinking in terms of adaption is in the sense of the age of the players in the comp. The days of 30 something 200 gamers are probably numbered, so the comp has been changing slowly over a number of years. 18-20 year olds who are any good will be drafted, the guys who dont get drafted but can get a consistent league game will stick around and guys looking for another crack at the big time after being delisted or missing out first time will try their luck aswell, but they will probably only hang around til mid to late 20's. Then they and those who are fringe league players will get lured by the $ elsewhere and you can't blame them.

Certainly having all the professionals playing together changes things and i'm not saying for the better for anyone but them, but could you say that clubs with full time coaches have an advantage these days over those that don't? The last 3 premierships have been won by clubs with full time coaches.
Trust the process.
Columbo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 29 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu May 22, 2014 12:16 am

Bounce of the ball wrote:

now I go to zero

Really ? I know Glenelg supporters drop off and jump on very quickly .................but seeya !!

If glenelg were to make the grand final I wouldn't be going or watching

Yeah we had our share of bandwagoners. I wasnt one of them before and I won't turn into one
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11841 times
Been liked: 3598 times

Postby MightyEagles » Thu May 22, 2014 11:57 am

Harry the Horse wrote:Games attended: 0
Membership dollars spent, as promised: 0

Won't be back until those AFL $#%# are gone and quite prepared for that to be never.
Pour what's left of my love of footy into my boy's two teams now.
Thanks a lot to everyone who had the best interests of SA football at heart.
What a farce.

What would you do if/when your kids play in Glenelg's reserves or league teams?
WOOOOO, Premiers 1993, 2006 and 2011!
Eagles - P 528 W 320 L 205 D 3 W% 60.89
WFC - P 575 W 160 L 411 D 4 W% 28.17
WTFC - P 1568 W 702 L 841 D 25 W% 45.56
Total - P 2671 W 1183 L 1457 D 32 W% 44.88
3 Flags - 1 Club
MightyEagles
Coach

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: United Eagles

Postby dedja » Thu May 22, 2014 12:06 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Bounce of the ball wrote:

now I go to zero

If glenelg were to make the grand final I wouldn't be going or watching

Yeah we had our share of bandwagoners. I wasnt one of them before and I won't turn into one

Well considering you're no longer a Glenelg supporter perhaps change your avatar to reflect your new status?

WGAF-2014 perhaps?
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 992 times

Postby heater31 » Thu May 22, 2014 12:08 pm

MightyEagles wrote:
Harry the Horse wrote:Games attended: 0
Membership dollars spent, as promised: 0

Won't be back until those AFL $#%# are gone and quite prepared for that to be never.
Pour what's left of my love of footy into my boy's two teams now.
Thanks a lot to everyone who had the best interests of SA football at heart.
What a farce.

What would you do if/when your kids play in Glenelg's reserves or league teams?

Get a players pass and roll up just before the bounce and leave straight after the final siren ;)
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu May 22, 2014 12:45 pm

Im still interested in my club and its performance and will catch the game on TV when they play, Ill also try to get out to some games when time permits, but it is no longer a priority of mine, Ive been to every Flaggy SFL game this year and really enjoying that level of footy.

Ive been lucky enough to be given a free SANFL season pass yet that is still not enough for me to choose to go at this stage.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby Macca19 » Thu May 22, 2014 1:46 pm

Most enjoyable year for a decade. Hope it continues
Macca19
League - Best 21

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Jim05 » Thu May 22, 2014 2:23 pm

Macca19 wrote:Most enjoyable year for a decade. Hope it continues

Enjoy it while it lasts
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby UK Fan » Thu May 22, 2014 5:28 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Macca19 wrote:Most enjoyable year for a decade. Hope it continues

Enjoy it while it lasts

Like Mike Tyson boxing an 8 y.o.

Yeah you'll win but whoopty doo....................
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL