Time for a ball re-design?

Talk on the national game

Is it time to upgrade the ball in Aussie Rules?

Yes
12%
No
53%
I like lamp
35%

Total votes : 17

Re: Time for a ball re-design?

Postby gadj1976 » Thu May 22, 2014 11:36 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:South Adelaide used to use a Kookaburra - a favourite of mine back in the 70s and 80s.

Worst footies - Faulkner (too pointy), Burley (too pointy), Match (bloated bloatfish)

This thread - don't get it personally. Why would you redesign perfection?

Back I played footy in primary school we played with Kookaburras.

Sh1t you're old DK.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby OnSong » Thu May 22, 2014 11:42 pm

gadj1976 wrote:South Adelaide used to use a Kookaburra - a favourite of mine back in the 70s and 80s.

Worst footies - Faulkner (too pointy), Burley (too pointy), Match (bloated bloatfish)

Yeah see, surely the current ball could be improved on. You don't think the soccer ball would have been perfected many years ago? They keep reworking things with that, why can't the same theory apply to a footy?
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri May 23, 2014 12:01 am

Why do we always have to change everything??? The footy is perfect!!
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Jim05 » Fri May 23, 2014 6:10 am

woodublieve12 wrote:Why do we always have to change everything??? The footy is perfect!!

Yep, no need to tinker with it.
The soccer ball was tinkered with to produce more goals, hence the newer versions used in World Cups swing and dip far much more than older versions. Would of thought the last thing we wanted to do with a footy is make it unpredictable in the air and harder to control
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri May 23, 2014 6:58 am

gadj1976 wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:

Back I played footy in primary school we played with Kookaburras.

Sh1t you're old DK.

Haha, they were just part of the School sports equipment along with the Lyrebird.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby gadj1976 » Fri May 23, 2014 7:30 am

OnSong wrote:

Yeah see, surely the current ball could be improved on. You don't think the soccer ball would have been perfected many years ago? They keep reworking things with that, why can't the same theory apply to a footy?

No.

They may have had to with a soccer ball cos it got too heavy to header in the winter (heavy rain/snow), then too light in the wind. Or, it could just be that they wanted to for marketing reasons.

So in summary, no.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Fri May 23, 2014 7:35 am

gadj1976 wrote:
OnSong wrote:

No.

They may have had to with a soccer ball cos it got too heavy to header in the winter (heavy rain/snow), then too light in the wind. Or, it could just be that they wanted to for marketing reasons.

So in summary, no.

Main reason was to improve scoring in World Cups, FIFA thought the keepers were saving too many and after a few boring tournaments they tried to make it more appealing
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby David Brent » Fri May 23, 2014 10:36 am

woodublieve12 wrote:Why do we always have to change everything??? The footy is perfect!!

I think the thread has merit, footys are good but not perfect. Example of this is, with out doubt you can kick a yellow sherrin further than a red one. Yellow Sherrins always add at least 5m on ya leg. Surely this shouldnt be the case.
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby OnSong » Fri May 23, 2014 10:44 am

gadj1976 wrote:
OnSong wrote:

No.

So in summary, no.

If I asked the same question 30 years ago, I wonder if I would have got the same answer?

We always think what we've got is the bee's knees but there is no reason not to think that the footy could be improved on.

What makes Sherrin so much better than a Burley? Some sort of construction technique or better material?

There has to be something in that, which says there is improvement to be made. Can't just accept Sherrin is perfection.
OnSong
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri May 23, 2014 10:56 am

David Brent wrote:

I think the thread has merit, footys are good but not perfect. Example of this is, with out doubt you can kick a yellow sherrin further than a red one. Yellow Sherrins always add at least 5m on ya leg. Surely this shouldnt be the case.

haven't heard that before...

not saying it's not true. but that's no different from a white cricket ball which swings more then a red ball
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby OnSong » Fri May 23, 2014 11:00 am

woodublieve12 wrote:
David Brent wrote:

haven't heard that before...

not saying it's not true. but that's no different from a white cricket ball which swings more then a red ball

Also seems like they ping off the bat quicker too but that might be an optical thing.
OnSong
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri May 23, 2014 11:24 am

They would certainly have been playing with the technology over the years.

Softer leather, more water resistant, longer lasting, holding their shape etc.

In terms of colour the red afl footys are almost a pink colour compared to a dark red cricket ball colour for instance, makes them stand out better on TV (same with the red on Melbournes jumper)
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby gossipgirl » Fri May 23, 2014 1:35 pm

perhaps make it into a parallelogram shape :D
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby gadj1976 » Fri May 23, 2014 1:39 pm

OnSong wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:
OnSong wrote:

No.

So in summary, no.

If I asked the same question 30 years ago, I wonder if I would have got the same answer?

We always think what we've got is the bee's knees but there is no reason not to think that the footy could be improved on.

What makes Sherrin so much better than a Burley? Some sort of construction technique or better material?

There has to be something in that, which says there is improvement to be made. Can't just accept Sherrin is perfection.

Umm, why not?

Why change it if it is perfect? What's the change that's needed? You can't just come up with 'let's change it' for the sake of changing it without good reason to do so.

If it ALWAYS floated in one direction, if it always took right hand bounces, then there would be reason to change it, but as far as I can see, there isn't much wrong with them at all.

I have to admit, when I saw this thread I had to double check it was in the AFL thread because I didn't ever consider something wrong with this version of the pill.

I think there are more pressing issues around.
gadj1976
Coach

Time for a ball re-design?

Postby bennymacca » Fri May 23, 2014 2:29 pm

Something being wrong with the ball is different from saying there can't be improvements. There can always be improvements. Always.

Would actually love to see a ball from the 70s up against a modern one. Reckon it would be massively different. Just small incremental changes and improvements.

I'm sure sherrin would definitely be trying to improve it, it makes business sense too.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times

Postby BoundaryRider84 » Fri May 23, 2014 2:34 pm

Hate how the BLG have to use Burleys cause that is what Central Districts use. They float like a rubber duckie in your bathtub
WE ARE GEELONG!
BoundaryRider84
League - Best 21

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 223 times

Postby Q. » Fri May 23, 2014 2:40 pm

I'd like a yellow footy that lasts more than a fortnight in June.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby OnSong » Fri May 23, 2014 4:02 pm

Q. wrote:I'd like a yellow footy that lasts more than a fortnight in June.

There's a market there. Let's get to work.

The Q-ball - Lasts a lifetime
OnSong
Coach

Postby heater31 » Fri May 23, 2014 4:44 pm

OnSong wrote:
Q. wrote:I'd like a yellow footy that lasts more than a fortnight in June.

There's a market there. Let's get to work.

The Q-ball - Lasts a lifetime

Will it be shiny? ;)
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby OnSong » Fri May 23, 2014 4:52 pm

Why don't they make a shiny ball? Like a golden ball or a silver ball? What's with the dull matte finish? Chrome the footy!
OnSong
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL