2015: 7 Pure A-Grade Divisions

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: 2015: 7 Pure A-Grade Divisions

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:36 am

Pag wrote:
Look Good In Leather wrote:
Pag wrote:
Maybe the issues you are talking about are a sign that the centralisation of community football in suburban Adelaide has failed. Maybe bigger is not always better. There are too many clubs getting lost in the insignificance of the lower divisions.

Perhaps its time to break up the Amateur League.

Reform a competition in the Northern suburbs, one in the Inner Southern suburbs and one around the Eastern/North Eastern area.
The Amateur League can then go back to being predominantly Old Scholar clubs and a few amateur teams. All the clubs that keep whinging about paid players.

There is also room for a SAFA style Semi-pro comp.

Growing the Amateur League is not the answer, that has been a failed experiment and seen a lot of clubs die as a result.

Great idea, we coud Angle Vale against Salisbury North in the reborn CDFA. Or Goody Saints v Mitchell Park in the Inner-South FL. That'd be great viewing.

:oops:

Angle Vale & Mitchell Park are two of the clubs making a fuss about not paying players. They would be perfect candidates for a better regulated Amateur League.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

Righto then, they can play Adelaide Uni's A Grade. Problem solved.

You are not really putting much thought into this are you?

I would expect them to play against the lesser Old Scholar teams, like minded clubs and Uni's lesser grades.

I would also expect those clubs to improve from where they are now, else why are they bothering?
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Pag » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:58 am

Pag wrote:
Pag wrote:Great idea, we could have Angle Vale against Salisbury North in the reborn CDFA. Or Goody Saints v Mitchell Park in the Inner-South FL. That'd be great viewing.

:oops:

Angle Vale & Mitchell Park are two of the clubs making a fuss about not paying players. They would be perfect candidates for a better regulated Amateur League.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

Righto then, they can play Adelaide Uni's A Grade. Problem solved.

You are not really putting much thought into this are you?

I would expect them to play against the lesser Old Scholar teams, like minded clubs and Uni's lesser grades.

I would also expect those clubs to improve from where they are now, else why are they bothering?

Uni don't pay players officially, wouldn't that make them amateur?

You can't turn it into a rich comp/poor comp, because you can't monitor what clubs spend, and you can't turn it into a regional comp, or you get the lopsided SFL version 2, 3 and 4.

Promotion/relegation is still the best way to do it, natural selection will eventually put clubs in their place.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby marbles » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:50 pm

tough to get your head around new directions and so many sit in comfort zones and fear changes

if u said to SFL, put Aldinga into your C-Grade comp you'd be greatest comic relief in southern league history

Sometimes you need to be a courageous rock instead of a little pebble amongst stones and face REALITY

people are still struggling to getting over Malcolm Blight dumping mcdermott, jarman & mcguiness, its difficult to comprehend at the time

introducing a bye is for the benefit of the community, sulking about a bye is more likely an individual sulking cos having a week off means having no friends for a weekend :(

going down a div is also tough to accept. but if you finish in the bottom 4 this season, you really are NOT worthy of any trophy except maybe an encouragement award. going down a div for 1 season might set you up for many years to come - for example Ingle Farm look at them now from 18 months ago

If its any concession, the league could state that the following season, 3 teams will go up instead of 2, and this will help to establish where your true place is amoungst your fellow clubs

at least no div 1 third & fourth sides will be stealing your premierships
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 259 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:35 pm

marbles, why wouldn't you want your C/D playing against A grade teams? I understand your point of getting flogged every second week by A grade sides, but if you are good enough to match it in that division then surely that is better for your club from a development point of view than playing in C grade divisions?

Wouldn't your B grade rather bring up a bloke whose conditioned to playing against A grade footballers (albeit a fair way down from your A grade) than a bloke whose been playing in a slower C grade comp against all C grade sides?
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Barnyard08 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:26 pm

PG we dont get flogged every second week we are pretty competetive in most games we play we got flogged by the top team and we got flogged by north pines when at the start of the day we had 15 players and had 5 play both games. He is the only one going on about it. I believe that dropping out of div7 wont be the right thing for us to do for our C and D grade and one of the reasons is what you just stated
Barnyard08
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Henley

Postby Cash 123 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:51 pm

At the end of the day it is more important that divisions 1-6 are stup correctly and that A & B grades are in the right division.

Unfortunately in lower grades I think you will always come acress teams that cant be cmpetitive its just the way it is.

Weather people like it not clubs primary focus has to be on the A grade and while it is great to have C & D grade sides there is no way the league will change the whole setup of the compettion to satisfy a few C grade teams.
Cash 123
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 22 times

Postby marbles » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:57 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:marbles, why wouldn't you want your C/D playing against A grade teams? I understand your point of getting flogged every second week by A grade sides, but if you are good enough to match it in that division then surely that is better for your club from a development point of view than playing in C grade divisions?

Wouldn't your B grade rather bring up a bloke whose conditioned to playing against A grade footballers (albeit a fair way down from your A grade) than a bloke whose been playing in a slower C grade comp against all C grade sides?

this element certainly has merit and yes is a development consideration for the reserve stocks of the bgrade side

however considering in the past 2 and half seasons we have had no more than 10 bgraders come down to support our cgrade side, this development factor is somewhat only an ideal. this can be backed up by our former cgrade coaches. ie: no bgrader helped us after round 7 last season

barnyard himself also highlighted recently that bgraders regard playing in div 7 as like playing in hell and if they wanna get a bgrade game they should learn to perform in div 7 first before sooking about not playing bgrade.

but once again i highlight we are fine at henley. this discussion is not an affliction of henleys, it is the league who are in crisis having just lost its 5th team since april last year (14 months). and this is only half of it considering the agrade clubs crisis too

PG i need to ask you personally.... how really would a re-structure affect you? what difference would it make to you and your club? you mentioned you support the model, but you like many others on here remain opposed

why are you all opposed? what consequence on you is significant enough for it to be opposed? please provide detail of why you individually are affected
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:08 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:marbles, why wouldn't you want your C/D playing against A grade teams? I understand your point of getting flogged every second week by A grade sides, but if you are good enough to match it in that division then surely that is better for your club from a development point of view than playing in C grade divisions?

Because marbles' C-Grade team has nought to do with developing players, it is all about winning the easiest premiership possible.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:16 pm

marbles wrote:PG i need to ask you personally.... how really would a re-structure affect you? what difference would it make to you and your club? you mentioned you support the model, but you like many others on here remain opposed

Never said I opposed, I was just curious why you are so eager in forcing the matter.

Your reasons tend to be pretty contradictory - "C grade sides get flogged by paid semi-professional A-Grade sides" ... "C grade sides dominate these divs and take away A grade premierships".

I'm confused :?
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:19 pm

It also affects our club, because if we ever reached a point where we were capable of having 4 sides, I imagine despite some tough times, the club would be eager to have the opportunity to press up through the grades through successfull seasons and being promoted - close the gap between A/B and C/D.

In your proposal there is nothing there that provides incentive to C/D grade sides in this respect... even the C divisions have promotion/relegation, probably would be inclined to not play in the super C grade and just put two C grade sides into the C divisions to be honest.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby marbles » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:31 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:It also affects our club, because if we ever reached a point where we were capable of having 4 sides, I imagine despite some tough times, the club would be eager to have the opportunity to press up through the grades through successfull seasons and being promoted - close the gap between A/B and C/D.

In your proposal there is nothing there that provides incentive to C/D grade sides in this respect... even the C divisions have promotion/relegation, probably would be inclined to not play in the super C grade and just put two C grade sides into the C divisions to be honest.

ok good work PG

honestly having a div 9 next year, id figure Ingle Farm would be the first to be excited as it opens the doors for a few club to introduce Cs with Ds that also can play on the same day at the same ground? this means you dont require 2 seperate groups of volunteers going to your cgrade ground & another to your dgrade ground

its common knowledge that not even adelaide uni, can barely get higher than 7th place in div 6, so anyone else striving to storm up the grades with their cgrade unit is not of good hope?
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:40 pm

marbles wrote:Cs with Ds that also can play on the same day at the same ground? this means you dont require 2 seperate groups of volunteers going to your cgrade ground & another to your dgrade ground

I think with careful planning and work with the league you could schedule home games back to back, that takes care of half the season, then the other half would depend on the grade, but i'm sure opposition clubs would welcome the chance to host a triple header - therefore have 1 side at 10:15 and the other 2:15 - ample time if you needed to find extra support personnel.

Then their are sides that also play Friday nights if they can like Para Hills, once again increasing the ability to make the most of support personnel.

Not saying that's what would happen etc, just think using the same ground excuse is a bit weak.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:42 pm

marbles wrote:its common knowledge that not even adelaide uni, can barely get higher than 7th place in div 6, so anyone else striving to storm up the grades with their cgrade unit is not of good hope?

Have Uni got their 7 teams in order of best 21 down though? I imagine there are blokes running around in their sides that could comfortably play in a higher/different side. They may not climb any higher than 6 but that's not to say they wouldn't be competitive in the least?
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby marbles » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:47 pm

ok so if ingle farm manage to get a dgrade up and going, you individually would prefer them to play seperated at different locations

ie...

Cs in C1
Ds in C4

the benefits of this would out weigh the benefits of having them in a div 9 together?
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:59 pm

marbles wrote:ok so if ingle farm manage to get a dgrade up and going, you individually would prefer them to play seperated at different locations

ie...

Cs in C1
Ds in C4

the benefits of this would out weigh the benefits of having them in a div 9 together?

Depends on a whole range of reasons, if it was purely for them to play at a better standard then yes I would - C1 > 9 & C4 > 9R
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby X Runna » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:02 pm

Because marbles' C-Grade team has nought to do with developing players, it is all about winning the easiest premiership possible.

Henley's C Grade is just a carrier for their D Grade
X Runna
Reserves

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby marbles » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:08 pm

:) well it would be interesting to see if a div 8 side Hope Valley, would be seeking an exit out of div 8 after this season, seperating their Cs & Ds, so they can get back into C1.

surely having 2 sides together down there has been a massive expansion for hope valley?
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby Q. » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:25 pm

marbles wrote:however considering in the past 2 and half seasons we have had no more than 10 bgraders come down to support our cgrade side, this development factor is somewhat only an ideal. this can be backed up by our former cgrade coaches. ie: no bgrader helped us after round 7 last season

this is bizarre

if they aren't picked in b grade do they then just don't play at all??
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby marbles » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:40 pm

Q. wrote:
marbles wrote:however considering in the past 2 and half seasons we have had no more than 10 bgraders come down to support our cgrade side, this development factor is somewhat only an ideal. this can be backed up by our former cgrade coaches. ie: no bgrader helped us after round 7 last season

this is bizarre

if they aren't picked in b grade do they then just don't play at all??

:) dunno mate last years dilemma, is good now
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby finn » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:04 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
marbles wrote:its common knowledge that not even adelaide uni, can barely get higher than 7th place in div 6, so anyone else striving to storm up the grades with their cgrade unit is not of good hope?

Have Uni got their 7 teams in order of best 21 down though? I imagine there are blokes running around in their sides that could comfortably play in a higher/different side. They may not climb any higher than 6 but that's not to say they wouldn't be competitive in the least?

Being well acquainted with the Uni selection process, I can say that the overwhelming majority of players who could play high are playing high (approximately 90%) with their being a few exceptions with people playing with their mates eg in C1 we've some guys who have played a grade in the past but can't train during the week; these guys are generally older as well and given a few year's service or have come out to speciifcally play with mates already playing.

Last time we went up to div 6, we weren't good enough with there generally being a large discrepancy between the bottom 8 or so players and ours. We tried and probably will again but the fact is that the general level of lower grade football has improved over the years. We also get hit by injuries, holidays etc meaning that most years approximately 60 (and often more) players go through that team which makes introduction of a specific game plan problematic. When we're competitive the c grade is more consistent with regards to personnel.
always forgive your enemies...nothing annoys them so much
finn
League - Best 21

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 22 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League