2015: 7 Pure A-Grade Divisions

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: 2015: 7 Pure A-Grade Divisions

Postby marbles » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:47 pm

adelaide uni will never ever never make div 6 finals :)
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 259 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:43 pm

Played in the 2004 Div 6 GF.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 741 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:47 pm

Agree with Finn that lower division footy has improved dramatically in recent times. The gap from Div 1 to Div 6 has closed since around 2000.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 741 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby laser » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:59 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:Agree with Finn that lower division footy has improved dramatically in recent times. The gap from Div 1 to Div 6 has closed since around 2000.

Not asking you specifically LK, but what about D7 and D8? Where do they sit as a standard?
My take (no, I haven't seen D6/7/8 play) but I've watched a few C2 and C1 games over the last few years and whilst some of the footy is very good, it is the skill level that appears to be the area requiring improvement. At a guess I would say D7 would be a better standard (they have 4 A grade teams) than C1/2 and D8 would be about the same, or perhaps a big difference from best to worst within D8. Close? Or no cigar?
laser
Under 16s

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 45 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:10 am

laser wrote:Not asking you specifically LK, but what about D7 and D8? Where do they sit as a standard?
My take (no, I haven't seen D6/7/8 play) but I've watched a few C2 and C1 games over the last few years and whilst some of the footy is very good, it is the skill level that appears to be the area requiring improvement. At a guess I would say D7 would be a better standard (they have 4 A grade teams) than C1/2 and D8 would be about the same, or perhaps a big difference from best to worst within D8. Close? Or no cigar?

My opinion:

Top end D7 > C1
Bottom end D7 ~ C2
C1 > D8
C4 ~ D8R
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby jo172 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:36 am

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
laser wrote:Not asking you specifically LK, but what about D7 and D8? Where do they sit as a standard?

My opinion:

Top end D7 > C1
Bottom end D7 ~ C2
C1 > D8
C4 ~ D8R

The C1 - D8 comparison is interesting in that both ladders show a great disparity within the respective leagues. That is in D8 obviously PAC are flying with TTG and GG playing well whereas Hope Valley, Salisbury and North Haven are struggling. Similarly in C1 Adelaide Uni, Rostrevor, Goodwood and Unley seem to be going very well whereas SPOC, Salisbury North and Gaza are struggling.

My suspicion is that if you made a hypothetical new league (ignoring the obvious logistical difficulties of:
8A - Adelaide Uni, Rostrevor, Goodwood, Unley, PAC, TTG, Golden Grove, Old Ignatiains, Port District
and
8B - Blackwood, PNU, North Haven, Salisbury, Hope Valley, PHOS Camden, Walkerville, SPOC, Salisbury North, Gaza

you'd get two very even leagues.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1199 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:39 am

jo172 wrote:The C1 - D8 comparison is interesting in that both ladders show a great disparity within the respective leagues. That is in D8 obviously PAC are flying with TTG and GG playing well whereas Hope Valley, Salisbury and North Haven are struggling. Similarly in C1 Adelaide Uni, Rostrevor, Goodwood and Unley seem to be going very well whereas SPOC, Salisbury North and Gaza are struggling.

My suspicion is that if you made a hypothetical new league (ignoring the obvious logistical difficulties of:
8A - Adelaide Uni, Rostrevor, Goodwood, Unley, PAC, TTG, Golden Grove, Old Ignatiains, Port District
and
8B - Blackwood, PNU, North Haven, Salisbury, Hope Valley, PHOS Camden, Walkerville, SPOC, Salisbury North, Gaza

So disband Div 8 and create two new C grade divisions? Go back to having C1-C6 with promotion/relegation?
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby jo172 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:49 am

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
jo172 wrote:The C1 - D8 comparison is interesting in that both ladders show a great disparity within the respective leagues. That is in D8 obviously PAC are flying with TTG and GG playing well whereas Hope Valley, Salisbury and North Haven are struggling. Similarly in C1 Adelaide Uni, Rostrevor, Goodwood and Unley seem to be going very well whereas SPOC, Salisbury North and Gaza are struggling.

and

So disband Div 8 and create two new C grade divisions? Go back to having C1-C6 with promotion/relegation?

No, I think it's fine the way it is, whatever you do someone is always going to win the Flag and someone is always going to come last. I was just commenting on the relative strengths of the competition and the difficulty in comparing the strengths of C Grade competitions.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1199 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby marbles » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:12 pm

todays discussion opens discussion on another format...

i havent given it a lot of thought in fact only read the above 10 minutes ago, but consider the pro's & cons of the following

we currently have a C1 structure?

what if there was a separate a D1 structure?

say like...

# D1s play at midday C1s play at 2pm

# D2s play at midday C2s play at 2pm

huge room for criticism im sure and lots of innuendos to mention....

for such as:

# clubs will be split up but if your Ds are good enough to stay in D1 whilst your C's are in C1 then lucky you

# if this was the case could your Ds always play at the same ground all year

etc etc what else....
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:28 pm

Probably has more merit than your super C grade proposal.

What if a club wants to compete against A grade sides though?
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Trader » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:37 pm

The D1s and D2s combined will only have a dozen (or so) teams.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby marbles » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:43 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:Probably has more merit than your super C grade proposal.

What if a club wants to compete against A grade sides though?

its actually an extension of my other proposal :) its a going all the way proposal :)

# A Pure A-Grade format
# & A Pure C-Grade Format at the same time

cos combining the sides in C1 now with the current Cgraders of Div 7 is pretty mouth watering (all the third sides of Division 1 all in the 1 comp) :)

i doubt the clubs that currently have their Cs with their Ds at the same ground (7R/8R) would approve splitting them up

BUT a D1 division is interesting :)
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby marbles » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:44 pm

Trader wrote:The D1s and D2s combined will only have a dozen (or so) teams.

true mate

are there actually any Dgrade sides playing in the C1-C4 comps this season??
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:46 pm

marbles wrote:
Trader wrote:The D1s and D2s combined will only have a dozen (or so) teams.

true mate

are there actually any Dgrade sides playing in the C1-C4 comps this season??

Don't think so. Could you dilute the D divisions with C grade sides?

edit - think i'm confusing myself now :?
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby marbles » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:55 am

A new naive innocent ignorant victim steps up to the plate full of wonder and determination believing the highest div possible is what's best for our 4 team club haha we will depart ourselves from the equal playing fields and put out casual kick n catch cgraders in a pool of agrade clubs just to be nice

Sign that bottom line and watch your cgraders dgraders flee by 2017 PNU.... Let the erosions begin
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby Q. » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:07 am

marbles wrote:A new naive innocent ignorant victim steps up to the plate full of wonder and determination believing the highest div possible is what's best for our 4 team club haha we will depart ourselves from the equal playing fields and put out casual kick n catch cgraders in a pool of agrade clubs just to be nice

Sign that bottom line and watch your cgraders dgraders flee by 2017 PNU.... Let the erosions begin

Do you have any idea of what PNU are trying to acheive with their C/D grades? For their C-grade, it is far from a casual kick and catch for those players. The club is implementing some excellent structures to make their stay in Div 1 a long one, and these ambitions are filtering down through their grades.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby marbles » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:31 am

Q. wrote:
marbles wrote:A new naive innocent ignorant victim steps up to the plate full of wonder and determination believing the highest div possible is what's best for our 4 team club haha we will depart ourselves from the equal playing fields and put out casual kick n catch cgraders in a pool of agrade clubs just to be nice

Do you have any idea of what PNU are trying to acheive with their C/D grades? For their C-grade, it is far from a casual kick and catch for those players. The club is implementing some excellent structures to make their stay in Div 1 a long one, and these ambitions are filtering down through their grades.

thats wonderful. a young rookie with big bright eyes for the world and its gonna be the best days ever!!

All i can say is REST IN PEACE...

# Broadview D-Grade
# TTG Dgrade
# FlindersPark DGrade
# Sacred Heart DGrade
# Henley DGrade

shall we put in an order for PNU's Dgrade tombstone now?
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby marbles » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:23 pm

In 2016 to have 7 pure agrade divisions between 65 clubs, you'd say all divs from div 3 down would require a bye

Therefore to do for example in div 6 & 7, two teams will need come down but no teams go up

For div 5 & 6 transitions, three teams come down & maybe just div 6 premier only goes up

Etc etc

If such expectations are set in place before the following season begins, then when all the ONE-OFF unusual promotion/relegations occur next season everyone will be mutually accepting that they with a crap season may hav to go down a div, even tho they finished 7th or 8th
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby Boosh » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:38 pm

marbles wrote:In 2016 to have 7 pure agrade divisions between 65 clubs, you'd say all divs from div 3 down would require a bye

Therefore to do for example in div 6 & 7, two teams will need come down but no teams go up

For div 5 & 6 transitions, three teams come down & maybe just div 6 premier only goes up

Etc etc

If such expectations are set in place before the following season begins, then when all the ONE-OFF unusual promotion/relegations occur next season everyone will be mutually accepting that they with a crap season may hav to go down a div, even tho they finished 7th or 8th

Can't see a club in Div 4 or 5 voting this in to benefit a club in Div 7
I have a problem. It's to do with the little man, the squashed-in French man, the naked little squashed up hairy boy! You know! With the hand feet
*I apologise to Hope Valley people in advance, no offence intended
Boosh
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 256 times
Been liked: 192 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Boosh » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:40 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:

and

Liking this post wasn't enough, I love it almost as much as I hate the SAAFL.
I have a problem. It's to do with the little man, the squashed-in French man, the naked little squashed up hairy boy! You know! With the hand feet
*I apologise to Hope Valley people in advance, no offence intended
Boosh
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 256 times
Been liked: 192 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League