A good bounce back to form by the Legs.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3893 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Re: Rnd 10 - Sturt v Norwood - Post Game

Postby kempey » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:09 pm

I thought the last two and half quarters was "played on Norwood's terms" close in footy.
Norwood managed to stop the Blues run. Sturt played open running footy in the first quarter or so.

The Legs were very good in defence with Bode outstanding and McGuiness good in the rebound role (Coad kicked five).
The Baulderstone v Kurtz clash was good with Baulderstone better around the ground.
Panos was the king of the clearances again - great season so far - as were the Norwood in and under players Weber, Reinbricht and Allan.
Not sure of the crowd but looked like about 3,000.
Last edited by kempey on Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kempey
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby mal » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:17 pm

Ben Warren what a coach
Before today
83 matches played at Elwhateveritscalled Park
45 Sturt
38 Norwood

Ben Warren is 1-0 up against Sturt
Now 6 behind squaring the ledger

The players were given ample reward after the game
6 Party size pizzas for the players to eat
Well I guess Norwood can afford to feed the players
They wuz telling me today it co$t$ Sturt about $7000 to put up and take down the fences at the oval
Why this happens is beyond me
All someone has to do is leave them up and make gates between games ? ??????????????????????????

As for the game
It was a pleasure to see Michael Coad and James Allan play superb games

Turning point of the game ?
ST 2-0 led Norwood after 2 minutes in the first qtr
Hansen missed a set shot to make it 2-1 and not 3-0 at about the 5 minute mark
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1154 times
Been liked: 909 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:06 pm

$4000
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby norwood8 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:20 pm

Panos and Webber BOG by a mile (lifted when the game was on the line), with great contributions from Bode, Allan, Reinbrecht, Chippy and Bauldy. For Sturt players like Tambling (doesn't do enough with his disposals) and Kirkwood found plenty of the footy but at times seemed to lack in efficiency going forward.

Even with the low scores it was a good spectacle, nothing beats watching two big forwards battling it out at either end. Happy to admit we got a good run from the umpires today, Glouftsis again proving she is out of her depth at league level.
norwood8
Under 18s

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 95 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby Jim05 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:30 pm

Great win today, Panos was awesome. Was a good hard fought game. Despite the low scoring I thought both sides played a fairly attacking game but just lacked that bit of polish. Keeps us right in the mix and hopefully we can continue the recent good form
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby mal » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:33 pm

Agree
Norwood seemed to get the better of the umpiring decisions today :D
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1154 times
Been liked: 909 times

Postby SANFLnut » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:31 pm

Was following the stats while watching West (hence wanting to watch seething else). Margin was about 2 goals and free kick count was about 16-6 to Norwood.
SANFLnut
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby philcas » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:25 pm

I do agree the umpiring favoured us quite a bit today. I didnt mind how they umpired tried give the guy with the ball every opportunity . Which is more than I can say for AFL . If there anyone out of their depth its the no 2 ump from the crows kangas game last night. he shouldnt umpire anywhere if he thinks a you can get rid of the footy while being pinned to the ground is possible The Afl umps gave no idea give me todays umps any day thanks. Mind you the goal ump who gave sturts first goal needs a lesson in angles that ball was pushed through the goals from about a meter out
any way go you legs
philcas
Rookie

Been liked: 21 times
Grassroots Team: Athelstone

Postby SimonH » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:28 pm

SANFLnut wrote:Was following the stats while watching West (hence wanting to watch seething else). Margin was about 2 goals and free kick count was about 16-6 to Norwood.
Here are the final stats that show that free kicks were 16:13 Norwood's way. So your figure could be right... if the last 7 free kicks of the match all went to Sturt.
SimonH
Under 18s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 62 times

Postby SANFLnut » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:33 pm

I'm simply relying on SANFL website from 3rd quarter. I've seen plenty of SANFL games where the umpiring blatantly favours one side and then after the damage is done mysteriously swings back to end up less statistically significant. Wouldn't rule it out......
SANFLnut
Reserves

Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby passionatelegsfan » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:47 pm

who cares about the umpiring. Would have been a comfortable win for norwood if not for the two comical missed shots for goal on the run at the end. One by persinos and I can't remember who missed the other one. That is now easy wins for norwood against west and Sturt - arguably the in form team in the comp. Before that we came within less than a kick of beating the real top team (eagles), apparently norwood di dnot have the run of the umpires in that one. Two dreg teams the next two weeks, Glenelg and centrals. Norwood win those and they should be zeroing in on the top 3. And people thought norwood were finished hahah
passionatelegsfan

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 6 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:28 am

passionatelegsfan wrote:who cares about the umpiring. Would have been a comfortable win for norwood if not for the two comical missed shots for goal on the run at the end. One by persinos and I can't remember who missed the other one. That is now easy wins for norwood against west and Sturt - arguably the in form team in the comp. Before that we came within less than a kick of beating the real top team (eagles), apparently norwood di dnot have the run of the umpires in that one. Two dreg teams the next two weeks, Glenelg and centrals. Norwood win those and they should be zeroing in on the top 3. And people thought norwood were finished hahah

Glenelg I can understand but dont underestimate the Dogs, absolutely embarassed us early on in the year and have been good in recent weeks, were unlucky not to beat the unbeatable Port
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:21 am

mal wrote:Ben Warren what a coach
Before today
83 matches played at Elwhateveritscalled Park
45 Sturt
38 Norwood

Ben Warren is 1-0 up against Sturt
Now 6 behind squaring the ledger

The players were given ample reward after the game
6 Party size pizzas for the players to eat
Well I guess Norwood can afford to feed the players
They wuz telling me today it co$t$ Sturt about $7000 to put up and take down the fences at the oval
Why this happens is beyond me
All someone has to do is leave them up and make gates between games ? ??????????????????????????

As for the game
It was a pleasure to see Michael Coad and James Allan play superb games

Turning point of the game ?
ST 2-0 led Norwood after 2 minutes in the first qtr
Hansen missed a set shot to make it 2-1 and not 3-0 at about the 5 minute mark

Even though I think Jimmy's follow up figure is on the money, it probably was almost your figure in past years Mal
lf we had never left to go to Adelaide Oval all those years ago, IMHO we wouldn't be having to spend that sort of money on Matchday.
Funny you mention pizzas 'cos we got in trouble with the council a couple of home games ago because pizza boxes were left under the grandstand, which the club thought was a bit harsh since we don't sell pizza at the ground.

As for the game, thought it was a pretty even first half but in the second half it looked like Norwood knew what we were going to do before we knew what we were going to do
R.I.P. Patrice Lumumba 1925 - 1961
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Macclesfield

Postby johntheclaret » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:33 am

Jim05 wrote:
passionatelegsfan wrote:who cares about the umpiring. Would have been a comfortable win for norwood if not for the two comical missed shots for goal on the run at the end. One by persinos and I can't remember who missed the other one. That is now easy wins for norwood against west and Sturt - arguably the in form team in the comp. Before that we came within less than a kick of beating the real top team (eagles), apparently norwood di dnot have the run of the umpires in that one. Two dreg teams the next two weeks, Glenelg and centrals. Norwood win those and they should be zeroing in on the top 3. And people thought norwood were finished hahah

Glenelg I can understand but dont underestimate the Dogs, absolutely embarassed us early on in the year and have been good in recent weeks, were unlucky not to beat the unbeatable Port

Well said Jim. What a conceited post.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby RB » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:44 am

passionatelegsfan wrote:And people thought norwood were finished hahah
No-one from outside Norwood thought they were finished. The only negativity re Norwood came from their own supporters.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 766 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby passionatelegsfan » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:18 pm

RB wrote:
passionatelegsfan wrote:And people thought norwood were finished hahah
No-one from outside Norwood thought they were finished. The only negativity re Norwood came from their own supporters.

What crap! Fans of all different clubs have been taking great delight in norwood's perceived decline. In fairness i am subscribed to the SANFL facebook page and read those comments more than here. But even hear i have read comments from plenty of supporters of other teams writing norwood's obituary. I do agree with the second part of your post however. Alot of norwood fans are very negative. They should have a bit more faith after the last couple of years.
passionatelegsfan

Postby JK » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:44 pm

I was one of those who thought we just weren't going to be strong enough to challenge for the flag this year, to be honest Im still not confident we will, although we're getting some depth and belief back now and Im confident we are capable of challenging every opponent on a weekly basis. I wasn't there yesterday, but Sturt are obviously a very good side these days so that's a big result for us. The last month has been pretty good, wins over Adelaide, West, Sturt and a 3 point loss to the Eagles. Hopefully we can consolidate from here.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4460 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Gozu » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:38 pm

Crowd 3,829
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Been liked: 660 times

Postby passionatelegsfan » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:42 pm

JK wrote:I was one of those who thought we just weren't going to be strong enough to challenge for the flag this year, to be honest Im still not confident we will, although we're getting some depth and belief back now and Im confident we are capable of challenging every opponent on a weekly basis. I wasn't there yesterday, but Sturt are obviously a very good side these days so that's a big result for us. The last month has been pretty good, wins over Adelaide, West, Sturt and a 3 point loss to the Eagles. Hopefully we can consolidate from here.

I'm not sure they will be good enough either but they are obviously playing alot better than the star of the season. I just think fans need to stop over reacting to what happens in the first 5 or 6 weeks of the season. It was always going to take them some time to find their feet given the turnover of players. Now they are starting to gel and playing some pretty good football.
passionatelegsfan

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL