SANFL Club Finances

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL Club Finances

Postby JK » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:24 pm

Sojourner wrote:They openly do not have the courage to do so. Its the reason that more people than Trigg need to go if they are to ever taste success again. Trigg should be sacked from the AFC largely for the same reasons that he was sacked from Sturt after his contract ended..

This guy sums it up pretty well - http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... 6534007615

Yeah and I reckon there's a reason they don't have the courage to do it, it's called saving their own skins
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4457 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby stan » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:42 pm

sjt wrote:Annoyed by some tossers on the sanfl Facebook page. Many have no idea about the afl in the sanfl and the farce it's turned the comp in to. The crows and power licenses have supposedly been sold for $18mill over 15 years. Simplistically equating to $150,000 a year for each of the clubs. This excludes the $45mill supposedly coming from the afl over the next 15 years for "game development" ( who knows where this will go) and excludes the Adelaide oval return p.a and the west lakes land sales. I still can't see why the sanfl supposedly needs the professionals in our league more than they need us??

To be honest, the old system really wasnt that bad was it?

I mean think about it, you had a few players spread through the teams, they had to work hard and earn a spot for the SANFL side, you cant tell me that was a bad thing?

And yes, this is mainly because I want Mitch Grigg back at the legs ;). haha but on a serious note, how do you manage all the young mids you want to develop in one side.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:26 pm

From a selfish crows point of view you can manage them much better.

Johnston, lynch to name toe were almost always played out of position at their sanfl clubs. Probably some others too.

It is all about continuity of training and also the playing conditions

Whether that is worth the impost on the sanfl I'm sure a lot of you would say no but for the afl clubs there are clear benefits
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby JK » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:29 pm

I've certainly never thought it unreasonable for Port/Crows to want reserves sides. Can see clear advantages there (player development, development of roles, continuity of playing style, keeping the group together etc). Just don't like it being at the expense of the SANFL competition.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby robranisgod » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:40 pm

bennymacca wrote:From a selfish crows point of view you can manage them much better.

Johnston, lynch to name toe were almost always played out of position at their sanfl clubs. Probably some others too.

Whether that is worth the impost on the sanfl I'm sure a lot of you would say no but for the afl clubs there are clear benefits

Johnston played out of position? He dominated as a key forward for North and then when the Crows finally played him they played him as a key forward, so I don't see where he was played out of position.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 227 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:41 pm

I thought he played a whole bunch in the ruck whilst at north. Happy to stand corrected.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby JK » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:51 pm

bennymacca wrote:I thought he played a whole bunch in the ruck whilst at north. Happy to stand corrected.

Started down back early 2012 I think but then went forward and stayed there IIRC .. RIG will know
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby robranisgod » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:57 pm

JK wrote:
bennymacca wrote:I thought he played a whole bunch in the ruck whilst at north. Happy to stand corrected.

Started down back early 2012 I think but then went forward and stayed there IIRC .. RIG will know

You are right JK. He was named at Centre Half Back in his first two games for North. He struggled, went forward and stayed there for the rest of his time at North and also the Crows.

Last year at Glenelg James Craig went down with an injury late in the first quarter. North didn't have a back up ruckman so they virtually conceded the tap to Lachlan Button who had over 70 tap outs. Johnston and Tom Langford were the nominal ruckmen who didn't get a tap between them but Johnston in particular got a lot of the ball as a virtual ruck rover changing up forward.

The next week North brought Shahinger in to do the rucking whilst Craig was out injured.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 227 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby JK » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:08 pm

I can remember a game at the Parade (relatively early 2012) and he was playing down back, and I immediately noted he had decent hands and particularly an awesome leg on him. Thought at the time this bloke could really be something.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:16 pm

JK wrote:I can remember a game at the Parade (relatively early 2012) and he was playing down back, and I immediately noted he had decent hands and particularly an awesome leg on him. Thought at the time this bloke could really be something.

Seems to be one of those guys that will forever dominate sanfl but not good enough for afl. Maybe not athletic enough for the top level?
bennymacca
Coach

Postby JK » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:25 pm

bennymacca wrote:
JK wrote:I can remember a game at the Parade (relatively early 2012) and he was playing down back, and I immediately noted he had decent hands and particularly an awesome leg on him. Thought at the time this bloke could really be something.

Seems to be one of those guys that will forever dominate sanfl but not good enough for afl. Maybe not athletic enough for the top level?

Bit slow and doesn't get his hands dirty enough at AFL level for mine. That said, he can position well, mark well and certainly kick well, so I think he can offer something, just not top shelf.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:33 pm

Doesn't like being interrupted by drunks when he's speaking, either. ;)
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby wild dog » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:55 pm

stan wrote:To be honest, the old system really wasnt that bad was it?

I mean think about it, you had a few players spread through the teams, they had to work hard and earn a spot for the SANFL side, you cant tell me that was a bad thing?

And yes, this is mainly because I want Mitch Grigg back at the legs ;). haha but on a serious note, how do you manage all the young mids you want to develop in one side.

I agree, it wasn't bad, watching your home grown talent take the step up to the AFL, come back for more development and then really crack the big stage. Seeing our next Stewart Dew or Shannon Hurn go straight to a Port or Crows reserves side to then take the field against us makes me shudder, and will be the end of watching football (besides my kids) for me WHEN it does happen.

And yeah I wouldn't mind Callinan back either.
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:58 am

bennymacca wrote:From a selfish crows point of view you can manage them much better.

I can 100% see the benefits to both AFL clubs having their own contracted players playing for them and developing those players how the they best see fit.
I don't think many others would have an issue with this either and it must be better for the SANFL clubs not having AFL players dropping in and out of their squad.

Having those AFL reserve teams playing in the SANFL is the issue.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby stan » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:55 pm

wild dog wrote:
stan wrote:To be honest, the old system really wasnt that bad was it?

I agree, it wasn't bad, watching your home grown talent take the step up to the AFL, come back for more development and then really crack the big stage. Seeing our next Stewart Dew or Shannon Hurn go straight to a Port or Crows reserves side to then take the field against us makes me shudder, and will be the end of watching football (besides my kids) for me WHEN it does happen.

And yeah I wouldn't mind Callinan back either.

Just my thoughts and bit of a piss take about Grigg, but what I meant Im sure you got in that post. In my opinion the system was really that bad. I know the AFL teams would see that they get have there players playing together and I guess thats an advantage for them. But the overall standard of the comp does drop. How can it not? You remove a stack of talent form sides and put into a team. Anyway like normal I rant on, all I was saying is that the old system wasnt that bad. Still had people interested in the comp, standard was good and hence clubs had a chance in regards to finances. But while there is an advantage this provides to the AFL clubs, the SANFL clubs will hurt with the decreasing attendence, although was still happening has now been accelerated.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby SANFLnut » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:24 pm

Maybe all the AFL clubs should kick in money to the SANFL in the same way that all clubs across Austrralia have to fund the TAC U18 comp. Would love to see the funding models of the SANFLvs VFL side-by-side
SANFLnut
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby CUTTERMAN » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:48 pm

As I've said before. It's time that SANFL clubs start demanding a better return for drafted players. Surely a gun 1st round draft pick is worth more than a drip fed $50k (at best) shared with junior clubs. I'll bet that clubs got a crap load more back before the AFL and we had a transfer system that actually paid market value for gun players. We're getting sh!t now.
That the AFL give $1.4m to the SANFL for U18 development and $1.7m to a indigenous program in Melbourne is a disgrace.
National Football League....PIGSARSE!!!
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby passionatelegsfan » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:55 am

UK Fan wrote:
Grahaml wrote:
UK Fan wrote:I wonderif trigg took into account SANFL clubs losing revenue due to the afl reserves in his 18 months worth of research.

Especially now these Victorian owned entities want more revenue out of Adelaide Oval. Because a $7 million uplift in revenue for them obviously isnt enough .

What's Trigg got to do with it? Not his comp and he didn't have a vote. He was looking after the interests of his own club, something 6 clubs failed (IMHO) to do.

Because this was triggs vision for a better sa football. This was how he sold this to the league.

Trigg researched and presented this set up to be beneficial to all involved.Not just this is the best thing For Adelaide FC. He also stated he would not endorse a crows reserve team without unamious support from sanfl clubs. He then manipulated pressured bribed and lied to gain 6 out of 8 SANFL presidents to support his Vision.

How any South Australian would deliberately and maliciously go out of their way to weaken the Oldest football league in Australia for their own selfish gain is beyond me.

He is SA footballs Gordon Gecko.

Trying to make trigg blameless in all this is like saying it wasn't hitlers fault for WW2. He was just doing what he thought best for Germany. Its the germans who voted him into powers fault IMHO !!

You'll note triggs counterpart at port Adelaide wanted nothing to do with this.

And now trigg wants extra revenue out of sa football for his Victorian owned club. Without taking into account/miscalculating the massive losses SANFL clubs would incur due to his vision for sa football.

Seems a stuff up to me wouldn't you say.

I dont really like trigg but i don't blame him for what happened. To me thats just giving an easy out to the sanfl clubs. Trigg has the right to request
to request his team field reserves in any comp in the land, he also has the right to sell the merits of having his team in any specific comp. Its up to the sanfl directors to take responsibility for their own comp and see through the lies and deception. At the end of the day the directors of 6 of the 8 sanfl clubs elected to take the easy option.it is them tbat are now soley responsible for the state of the competition in my view
passionatelegsfan

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 6 times

Postby Booney » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:44 am

*BUMP*

West Adelaide are set to hold a members information evening tonight.

It is rumored that the board will put a proposal to the members where a consortium of board members will buy the club premises, increasing the clubs cash flow immediately and hold the premises "in trust" to sell back to the club upon reaching financial stability.

The finer points will be heard tonight, but this is, I understand, the crux of it all.

Interesting proposal.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby topsywaldron » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:47 pm

Anyone who follows football in Britain (underneath the level dominated by sheiks) would see massive danger signs in this move.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL