Under 18 penalties.

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Under 18 penalties.

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:17 pm

morell wrote:Yeah but when I was younger saying "bloody" or "shit" in front of adults was considered heinous. Back when my mum was young "bugger" was a terrible word. Back when her mum was young she couldn't wear a bathing suit in public!

Point is, society and it's standards change over time. It is the role of the youth of the day to push those limits, test them and alter them to their needs. The issue is that as you get older you keep your own set of standards but society has moved on.

So its not that kids today are bad, they're just matching and pushing the line, just as we all did when we were younger, just as your parents did when they were younger. The issue you have with kids these days has nothing to do with the actual kids, it is in fact reflected in your bathroom mirror.

That's an interesting way to look at it, and does make sense, but it's also not the kids pushing the limits it's people in society who say what is right or wrong, tell people how they should be parents or disciplining kids etc. It's a legal system that gives a kid a million chances, an education system that doesn't care if they can't spell their own name and a bunch of "experts" who disapprove of things like smacking.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby beeroclock » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:26 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
morell wrote:Yeah but when I was younger saying "bloody" or "shit" in front of adults was considered heinous. Back when my mum was young "bugger" was a terrible word. Back when her mum was young she couldn't wear a bathing suit in public!

Point is, society and it's standards change over time. It is the role of the youth of the day to push those limits, test them and alter them to their needs. The issue is that as you get older you keep your own set of standards but society has moved on.

So its not that kids today are bad, they're just matching and pushing the line, just as we all did when we were younger, just as your parents did when they were younger. The issue you have with kids these days has nothing to do with the actual kids, it is in fact reflected in your bathroom mirror.

That's an interesting way to look at it, and does make sense, but it's also not the kids pushing the limits it's people in society who say what is right or wrong, tell people how they should be parents or disciplining kids etc. It's a legal system that gives a kid a million chances, an education system that doesn't care if they can't spell their own name and a bunch of "experts" who disapprove of things like smacking.

I'm still trying to figure out why people are questioning the poor behaviour of 17-18 year olds on a football field or where ever for that matter.
Have a look at the adults going around.
No shortage of dumb mother chuckers player senior footy on a weekend.
beeroclock
League - Best 21

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 53 times

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:32 pm

the sad fact is..is that it needs to be stamped out early.

the other sad fact is that some people should been drowned at birth. unfortunately that's illegal.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby Q. » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:37 pm

environment > genetics

personality traits are inherited through observed behaviour
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Cohiba » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:39 pm

FC was right about different standards say /30 years ago. Now the "brats" know parents, teachers, cops, can't touch them. Even to the point there is a question if being sent to the naughty corner is right of a kids human rights. It's open season for some kids to "push the limits" as you say. Good parenting or bad parenting will go on regardless, but the kids who don't understand anything about civility and respect early on in life will have difficulty differentiating between right and wrong for most of their lives IMO.....
Cohiba
Reserves

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 41 times

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:21 pm

Q. wrote:environment > genetics

personality traits are inherited through observed behaviour

Given genetics plays a part but now it's just a small part

I knew enough that if i gave my mother any lip, I'd cop a backhander or a sore ass from the wooden stick

Now the kids say "you can't touch me"

It's the effing do-gooders that gave kids rights that's made kids like they are. This is also the reason I chose not to finish my teaching degree way back then.

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Postby morell » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:40 pm

Thats the thing though PG, Cohiba and FC, your parents were probably saying exactly the same things about you! Maybe not on the internet because, well, that hadn't been invented in the roaring 50's ( :P) but every generation has had the same complaints
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:41 pm

I agree with Q...you are a product of your environment

There is no way we would be having this discussion on the SANFL forum for U18s. I have watched about 50 SANFL U18 games over the past 3 years and in that time I have only seen two players reported. Lack of discipline is just not tolerated. One of those two boys who was reported was quickly sent packing. So, do the U18 SANFL boys have any less testosterone than the U18 SAAFL boys...I doubt it. The SANFL environment preaches discipline, strong values and work ethic and achieves excellent results. I'm sure there are some SAAFL clubs that are not far behind SANFL in the way they run and support their U18s and I'm sure these are the clubs that don't have kids tripping up to the tribunals. On the other hand I'm also sure there are some SAAFL clubs that are way behind and as a result we end up devoting a thread to them.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby jo172 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:42 pm

“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.”

Socrates was the first one who has the problem FC etc. are alluding to.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby heater31 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:48 pm

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:I agree with Q...you are a product of your environment

There is no way we would be having this discussion on the SANFL forum for U18s. I have watched about 50 SANFL U18 games over the past 3 years and in that time I have only seen two players reported. Lack of discipline is just not tolerated. One of those two boys who was reported was quickly sent packing. So, do the U18 SANFL boys have any less testosterone than the U18 SAAFL boys...I doubt it. The SANFL environment preaches discipline, strong values and work ethic and achieves excellent results. I'm sure there are some SAAFL clubs that are not far behind SANFL in the way they run and support their U18s and I'm sure these are the clubs that don't have kids tripping up to the tribunals. On the other hand I'm also sure there are some SAAFL clubs that are way behind and as a result we end up devoting a thread to them.

Excellent post! In a developing elite environment if you don't tow the line then you are shown the door very quickly. Poor discipline either on field (getting reported & suspended) or off (preparation or injury rehabilitation) is not at all tolerated as it creates poor club culture and generally a cap environment to be around.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:03 pm

Comparing the SANFL under 18s to SAAFL under 18s is not fair, though.
The SANFL under 18s are a destination and for kids an opportunity to take the next step. You are there because someone thinks you're talented.
SAAFL under 18s are there because they're having a kick and a catch, and maybe some will progress, and their clubs find it hard enough to get players without pushing the level of discipline the SANFL kids have.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:07 pm

Cohiba wrote:

FC was right about different standards say /30 years ago. Now the "brats" know parents, teachers, cops, can't touch them. Even to the point there is a question if being sent to the naughty corner is right of a kids human rights. It's open season for some kids to "push the limits" as you say. Good parenting or bad parenting will go on regardless, but the kids who don't understand anything about civility and respect early on in life will have difficulty differentiating between right and wrong for most of their lives IMO.....

Being able to give the kids a smack has nothing to do with it.
If you provide discipline and are consistent in your treatment of the kids, set standards, you will be better off.
If you are in a position where kids know you "can't touch them", you've probably not done the right thing in the early standards of your parenting.
You shouldn't have to hit kids for them to know they've done the wrong thing and breached your expectations.
That's my belief, others will have different opinions.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Q. » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:09 pm

I bet you've got a glare of the gods DW :)
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:28 pm

Q. wrote:I bet you've got a glare of the gods DW :)

No, I don't. But my wife does. :lol:

This will sound very pious, but I take my role as a parent very seriously. I love my kids and I know that they will love me back, because I've shown them respect, even at their young age.
Not all parents do.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Jetters » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:40 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:

Damn those "experts" with their "education" and "research" and "science".
Jetters
Reserves

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 119 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:44 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
SAAFL under 18s are there because they're having a kick and a catch, .

Doesnt give them any excuse to punch people in the head.

Footy Chick

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:51 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:
SAAFL under 18s are there because they're having a kick and a catch, .

Doesnt give them any excuse to punch people in the head.

I didn't say that. What I'm saying is that kids are at the two levels for different reasons. That's why its unfair to compare.
Last edited by Dogwatcher on Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:24 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:

Comparing the SANFL under 18s to SAAFL under 18s is not fair, though.
The SANFL under 18s are a destination and for kids an opportunity to take the next step. You are there because someone thinks you're talented.
SAAFL under 18s are there because they're having a kick and a catch, and maybe some will progress, and their clubs find it hard enough to get players without pushing the level of discipline the SANFL kids have.

OK, don't compare SANFL to SAAFL, compare the SAAFL clubs who have U18s. Not every SAAFL has had an U18 player up before the tribunal over the past two years. Take a look at the clubs that haven't had any players report and I bet they have an evironment that preaches discipline, strong values and work ethic. You are a product of your club's environment and if the club fails the player the player will fail the club.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby Cohiba » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:25 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
Cohiba wrote:

Being able to give the kids a smack has nothing to do with it.
If you provide discipline and are consistent in your treatment of the kids, set standards, you will be better off.
If you are in a position where kids know you "can't touch them", you've probably not done the right thing in the early standards of your parenting.
You shouldn't have to hit kids for them to know they've done the wrong thing and breached your expectations.
That's my belief, others will have different opinions.

Sounds like you might have copped the odd whack DW you bad boy :) .....because I said nothing about smacking .........only that good parenting and bad parenting will prevail. And in respect to providing discipline....is not reasonable to think some parents might see that as a form of discipline rightly or wrongly and by degree. Some approve, some dont'. It's for them to decide and the consequences of that will sit on their shoulders.

And Q's comment regarding personality traits. They are not inherited. Nobody is born with the compulsion to whack someone or swear verbatim. Personalities are developed through lessons and observations within the environs of a person growing up.
Cohiba
Reserves

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 41 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:59 pm

I took "can't touch them" to mean smack, I apologise.

However, my points still stand as 'whacking them' has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread and will always be mentioned in these topics.

And, yes, I did cop the occasional whack on the arse with a thong. It did me no harm, but these are also different times.
I also remember copping a slap across the face from my mum in the middle of a shopping centre when I was about 14 - I don't count that as punishment, that was just for being an arsehole and disrespectful.
Dogwatcher
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League