Won't happen
Turbo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 38 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Re: Has Mick Malthouse lost the plot?

Postby gadj1976 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:15 am

Jim05 wrote:Would doubt any coach could do much better with this lot.
They have been playing a lot better over the last month but have just ran out of cattle.
I did love the presser last night though, love the way Mick treats that wanker Stevens with total disdain

Jim, for the first time ever i reckon, I'll disagree.

On Friday night I saw first hand how bad we are. These are a microcosm of our season and I could do this about any game. Problem is, it happens week in week out.

Westhoff takes possession of the ball in the back pocket. I think it was either Johnson or Sheehan ran straight at him. He sidestepped them ran off, created the loose man and they kicked a goal.

Tuohy had a marking contest on the back flank. He created a contest but didn't spoil the ball out of bounds, loses his feet, White runs off and kicks a goal.

Set play from a stoppage in the second quarter. All 18 of our players are in the back half of the ground. The kick comes in and not one player gets anywhere near Westhoff who takes an uncontested mark 20m out from goal.

Contest near full back. We allow the ball to come to ground for them to swoop, they do and result is an easy walk in goal. Side note: Not one "third up" all game destroying contests. We've allowed one on one marking contest all season. Any chance of anyone leaving their man and destroying a contest?

Johnson tackles Carlisle and we get a free kick between centre and half forward. There is a slight delay in getting the ball back to him. He winds up, kicks it to the hot spot 30m out from goal. I think it was Jonas that took an uncontested mark with 3 Port players closest to him. The only Carlton player any where near the contest was Simpson.

Rowe switches play off one step, kick skews off the ground and Port pick it up and waltz into an open goal.

Casboult's kicking for goal. FFS, someone fix it!

Twice I saw instances where instead of clearing a path for a player with the ball, we peeled off to create a loose man and the guy got run down. Gibbs is a classic for it. SHEPHERD FFS.

And worse still, in the first quarter when the game is still anyone's, we have all 18 in our back half. When the ball is turned over, we get a hurried kick from our half back line to three port blokes because there is no one in our forward half.

Point being - reasonable teams get this stuff right more often than we do. Good teams just do it. Excellent teams (like Hawthorn and Sydney) don't even think NOT to do it. It's the footy basics that are killing us. Those things are the reasons we have sent us back in the pack.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby On The Chest » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:59 am

Where do you coach gadj1976? Sounds like you would have it all sorted.
On The Chest
Under 16s

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby gadj1976 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:09 am

I assistant coach at a ammo side and I'd expect them to perform better at the basics than I see "professionals" do.

Thing is, every other team does these basics well. We're just crap at them.

The other thing is trotting out 'we're tired' is garbage. Last I checked the season is the same length for all clubs. Getting your team ready for a game is the coach's responsbility. Why does this bloke keep getting let off? Because he's abrasive in press conferences and won't answer any questions? Is he beyond reproach? Can someone in the media ask him some tough questions about this stuff???
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby On The Chest » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:08 pm

No worries. Thanks for that. Re the basics, Hmm I'm not sure. I have followed St Kilda for many, many years and some of the basics haven't been there either.
On The Chest
Under 16s

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby stan » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:20 am

Firstly I think CH 7 need stop glorifying some of this crap at the moment. I doubt Mick is the only coach every not to mlike a Journo and I would say most coaches don't like Steveo anyway. But its now a side show to CH 7.

Anyway Mick does need to let this go, at the moment steveo is following him around the country and just being at him.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby dedja » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:50 am

Because Rucci says so?
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 996 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:52 am

Jim05 wrote:I did love the presser last night though, love the way Mick treats that wanker Stevens with total disdain

Watching it, I was actually thinking exactly the same as Malthouse - what was he getting at? Was he asking questions or making statements? Such a poor effort from Stevens, was doing my head in.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Previous

Board index   Football  AFL