Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby Wedgie » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:30 am

GMcG wrote:I'm off to the Hill of Grace at Adelaide Oval tonight, anyone been there yet? What's it like?

Overpriced but freaking amazing. In the top 3 restaurants in the state if not the best.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:49 am

Wedgie wrote:If you go to the Rose Garden get the Hor Mok Talay, top of the Chefs specials liat, its like nothing I've ever had and something I wouldn't normally get but it is amazing. Its squid, prawns and mussells cooked in a special Thai sauce served in a flambe'. About $16 from memory.

They have a good separate gluten free menu if you ask for it too.

Thank you, I will be sure to order it.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:07 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Vic hotel at Strath

Chicken parmi.....superb
Chicken schnit with mushroom gravy was also delish.
Chips were served in those buckets.

Just waiting on dessert. But so far so good. Only exception being you have 2 bites of your main and get asked if everything is alright....just not here but creeping in everywhere.....if theres a problem you will know about it...

Good to hear.
And dessert was superb...

Service 8/10... deduction for interrupting 2 bites in.

Food- solid 8/10. A pub shouldn't get a parmi wrong.... these guys got it spot on.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Just got back from there, new clients of mine, nice people.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby jo172 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:18 pm

GMcG wrote:I'm off to the Hill of Grace at Adelaide Oval tonight, anyone been there yet? What's it like?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/life/food-wine/restaurants/hill-of-grace-adelaide-oval-restaurant-review/news-story/5349ebb200ac7623fdc2395aef041eb8

Let’s start with the dining room: bland, lifeless, beige-on-beige, with monitors projecting images of the rustic Henschke winery. It’s like the function room your sister was married in 16 years ago. The greeting is perfunctory, a clue to the service to come: myriad waiters assigned to each table, some of whom care, others who show little intuition in relation to their craft (lingering empty plates and glasses, four waiters idling at the pass, glass and cutlery dropped on tiled floors…)

I’m not sure the world is ready for this particular fusion just yet. HoG occupies some kind of sad, ill-informed contemporary fine dining void; it’s like the rest of the restaurant world doesn’t exist. I’m trying hard to think of someone I’d recommended it to. I just can’t.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby GMcG » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:35 am

jo172 wrote:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/life/food-wine/restaurants/hill-of-grace-adelaide-oval-restaurant-review/news-story/5349ebb200ac7623fdc2395aef041eb8

Let’s start with the dining room: bland, lifeless, beige-on-beige, with monitors projecting images of the rustic Henschke winery. It’s like the function room your sister was married in 16 years ago. The greeting is perfunctory, a clue to the service to come: myriad waiters assigned to each table, some of whom care, others who show little intuition in relation to their craft (lingering empty plates and glasses, four waiters idling at the pass, glass and cutlery dropped on tiled floors…)

I’m not sure the world is ready for this particular fusion just yet. HoG occupies some kind of sad, ill-informed contemporary fine dining void; it’s like the rest of the restaurant world doesn’t exist. I’m trying hard to think of someone I’d recommended it to. I just can’t.

I'm glad I didn't read this review before I went last night, stopped off at Madame Hanoi for a Singapore Sling, then on to HoG.
For starters, the view is sensational, it encompasses all of Adelaide Oval, the food was absolutely delicious!!
MAYBE a little more food on the plate would have been a good idea.
The only downside was the price, the 2 of us spent $280 BUT the bottle of Pol Roger was $137. Very impressed & will be returning.
GMcG
Under 16s

Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 45 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:47 pm

Need a recommendation for somewhere on Rundle St or close-by for tomorrow which has good gluten free options as heading to the Rhino Room to see Troy Kinne at 7.30.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Pseudo » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:09 pm

Wedgie wrote:Need a recommendation for somewhere on Rundle St or close-by for tomorrow which has good gluten free options as heading to the Rhino Room to see Troy Kinne at 7.30.

Y'know the Rhino Room isn't on Frome St anymore, right?
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby DOC » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:39 pm

Its not too far. I think the old Fasta Pasta on Pirie St.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Magellan » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:01 pm

Pseudo wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Need a recommendation for somewhere on Rundle St or close-by for tomorrow which has good gluten free options as heading to the Rhino Room to see Troy Kinne at 7.30.

Y'know the Rhino Room isn't on Frome St anymore, right?

A great venue back in its day.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:02 pm

Shit, thanks, didnt realise it haf moved to Pirie St!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:09 pm

Mrs hired out a room at Woodcroft last night for birthday.
The young lass that was tasked with looking after us did a fantastic job. Think we ended up with some free jugs of beer.

Food was quite alright as well. On the menu was a choice of steak, fish n chips or schnitty.
Everyone enjoyed there meals.
Really has improved. If it was just a fraction closer to home it would be the local.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3581 times

Postby Booney » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:23 am

Thanks for the heads up on the Rose Garden lads. My FB post started with "Never judge a book by it's cover" and that was spot on. From the outside you wouldn't even think about it, even once seated you second guess your choice, once the food arrives you know why you're there.

Mrs Boon and I were at a loose end on Saturday night for somewhere to have a feed and I suggested we give this a whirl. Certainly wasn't disappointed.

We both like out Asian cuisine, neither of us are overly adventurous when it comes to spicy food so we both went fairly mild options.

Shared some beef satays to start with, they were a good size, bigger than your average satay, the peanut sauce just right. Great start.

Mrs Boon went the basil chicken and I went garlic and pepper prawns. The basil chicken was awesome, the veggies with it still a bit crunchy how I think we all like them. A sneaky chili or two to get you unawares. My prawns, around 12 or so on the plate were good sizes and nicely seasoned, the black pepper giving me a little bit of zing on the lips. Just right.

We shared a fried rice with prawns, again some good sized prawns in there. The rice looked bland but it wasn't.

I had a Singha, Mrs had a rose and the bill came to $63 which the ( I assume ) owner rounded down as said "$60 will be fine"

I gave him $65 and said that'll be fine too.

Two thumbs up from me and we'll be back. If you like your Thai food, you should give it a go too.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10753 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:40 am

Booney wrote:Thanks for the heads up on the Rose Garden lads. My FB post started with "Never judge a book by it's cover" and that was spot on. From the outside you wouldn't even think about it, even once seated you second guess your choice, once the food arrives you know why you're there.

Mrs Boon and I were at a loose end on Saturday night for somewhere to have a feed and I suggested we give this a whirl. Certainly wasn't disappointed.

We both like out Asian cuisine, neither of us are overly adventurous when it comes to spicy food so we both went fairly mild options.

Shared some beef satays to start with, they were a good size, bigger than your average satay, the peanut sauce just right. Great start.

Mrs Boon went the basil chicken and I went garlic and pepper prawns. The basil chicken was awesome, the veggies with it still a bit crunchy how I think we all like them. A sneaky chili or two to get you unawares. My prawns, around 12 or so on the plate were good sizes and nicely seasoned, the black pepper giving me a little bit of zing on the lips. Just right.

We shared a fried rice with prawns, again some good sized prawns in there. The rice looked bland but it wasn't.

I had a Singha, Mrs had a rose and the bill came to $63 which the ( I assume ) owner rounded down as said "$60 will be fine"

I gave him $65 and said that'll be fine too.

Two thumbs up from me and we'll be back. If you like your Thai food, you should give it a go too.

Pretty accurate summary there Boon, glad you guys enjoyed it, nice mention of the slight crunch in the vegies too, most over-cook them, same as the fired rice, it looks bland but seems to have a flavour or two appear from nowhere.

I haven't tried their garlic and pepper prawns, I sure will though, *I'm not usually a soup fan but at their price I can't resist trying a new one each visit.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:47 am

Hitting up the Hilton Hotel ( South Road ), The Bombay Bicycle Club and the Strathmore this weekend. Hopefully I can string a review together on Monday after the cricket. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Magellan » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:50 am

Based on Booney's recommendation we went to Korked on Divett Street down at the Port on Saturday night. Great nibbly snacks (yes, loved the garlic bread), really chilled laid-back vibe (the live music duo playing inside were just at the right volume), the staff are very welcoming, friendly and unpretentious, and the drinks are well-priced (enjoyed a Goodison's stout and a bottle of something red). It's a bit like the Grace Emily opened a wine bar, I s'pose. Really enjoyed it and will head back again. Another diverse venue for those wanting to enjoy the fruits of the Port.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Booney » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:03 am

Magellan wrote:Based on Booney's recommendation we went to Korked on Divett Street down at the Port on Saturday night. Great nibbly snacks (yes, loved the garlic bread), really chilled laid-back vibe (the live music duo playing inside were just at the right volume), the staff are very welcoming, friendly and unpretentious, and the drinks are well-priced (enjoyed a Goodison's stout and a bottle of something red). It's a bit like the Grace Emily opened a wine bar, I s'pose. Really enjoyed it and will head back again. Another diverse venue for those wanting to enjoy the fruits of the Port.

Excellent. Two good points. The garlic bread, gold. ;)

The music inside needs to be mindful that people are still there to hold a conversation and they keep it at just the right level so you can do so without having to yell over the top of them. They do.

They've got a good thing going there that I can see it prospering for some time. The owner is great value, she's always chatty,smiling and welcoming, the food and drinks well priced and it's just eclectic enough to feel a bit like you're in someone's lounge room and not at a bar/venue that's been "modeled" to feel homey.

Middle of summer when the Port is busy and there's people around, good spot to listen to some chilled music sitting back in the chesterfield. Middle of winter when the fire is roasting and the red is hearty, good spot to be.

Glad you enjoyed it.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:18 am

Booney wrote:Hitting up the Hilton Hotel ( South Road ), The Bombay Bicycle Club and the Strathmore this weekend. Hopefully I can string a review together on Monday after the cricket. :lol:

The BBC has turned to shit!
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:20 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:Hitting up the Hilton Hotel ( South Road ), The Bombay Bicycle Club and the Strathmore this weekend. Hopefully I can string a review together on Monday after the cricket. :lol:

Oh. Mrs Boon's work show is there on the weekend....ah well. free gas!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:21 am

Booney wrote:Oh. Mrs Boon's work show is there on the weekend....ah well. free gas!

Well, food schmood then.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:24 am

Booney wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Oh. Mrs Boon's work show is there on the weekend....ah well. free gas!

Had ours at the National Wine Centre on Saturday night, their steak fillet was one of the best things I've ever eaten, the missus got the barramundi that was right up there too but this steak came out like a ball, I was apprehensive at first but it simply melted in my mouth.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion