SANFL crowd numbers

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL crowd numbers

Postby daysofourlives » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:13 pm

matt35 wrote:Haha wondered who'd be the first to clutch that straw! Not a bad crowd for 8th v bottom on a Saturday afternoon!

Yeah Saturday afternoon, what a crap timeslot for a game of SANFL footy :roll:
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby johntheclaret » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:27 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
matt35 wrote:Haha wondered who'd be the first to clutch that straw! Not a bad crowd for 8th v bottom on a Saturday afternoon!

Yeah Saturday afternoon, what a crap timeslot for a game of SANFL footy :roll:

It probably is if you follow AFL ;)
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby UK Fan » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:18 am

bennymacca wrote:Yet still way more people went there than the "traditional games"

Further proof traditional SANFL fans have walked away from the comp.

Thanks AFL clubs/fans.

You should be very proud of yourselves
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby johntheclaret » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:45 am

UK Fan wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Yet still way more people went there than the "traditional games"

Thanks AFL clubs/fans.

Yep. Very proud of the 0.2% of their members who rock up and get in for free.
Still they are the best "supported" club in the SANFL apparently so thank **** for that
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby whufc » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:50 am

UK Fan wrote:

Thanks AFL clubs/fans.

Yep what a business plan

Be happy to lose your long term core traditional customer base in favor of customers with a passing interest who pay 100% less to view your product.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby bennymacca » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:51 am

But according to you guys only 50 crows fans turn up. So it must be glenelg supporters turning up?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby whufc » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:53 am

johntheclaret wrote:
UK Fan wrote:

Thanks AFL clubs/fans.

Yep. Very proud of the 0.2% of their members who rock up and get in for free.
Still they are the best "supported" club in the SANFL apparently so thank **** for that

Yep its pretty sad how quick Ian Callinan is willing to put his name to anything for the corporate dollar.

There was a few Dogs supports at the ground yesterday who are slowly losing respect for this SANFL great footballer.

What other major world sporting league has made supporters have two teams they support in the same league.
Last edited by whufc on Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:57 am

bennymacca wrote:But according to you guys only 50 crows fans turn up. So it must be glenelg supporters turning up?

imho there are alot of joint supporters Centrals/Crows etc etc who now have struggled with the concept and struggling to follow one SANFL side as passionately as they use to.

Now there are alot of these joint supporters who are only chosing to come to two games a year and are there for more of a carnival atmosphere rather than picking a side either way to support.

The joint supporters i knew at these game were wearing Centrals gear but werent passionate either way and were only there as they could see both their teams on the one day.
whufc
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:59 am

whufc wrote:
bennymacca wrote:But according to you guys only 50 crows fans turn up. So it must be glenelg supporters turning up?

imho there are alot of joint supporters Centrals/Crows etc etc who now have struggled with the concept and struggling to follow one SANFL side as passionately as they use to.

Now there are alot of these joint supporters who are only chosing to come to two games a year and are there for more of a carnival atmosphere rather than picking a side either way to support.

The joint supporters i knew at these game were wearing Centrals gear but werent passionate either way and were only there as they could see both their teams on the one day.

I do agree with this somewhat, it is exactly how I felt when I went.

This would skew the crowds somewhat - I might have only gone to a couple of centrals games a year at most, so if that's the case it makes sense for me to choose the crows game to go to. This could also explain some of the drop in other games too
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Jim05 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:01 pm

About 4000 less than their last encounter.
No Tex no crowd?
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby whufc » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:02 pm

bennymacca wrote:
whufc wrote:

I do agree with this somewhat, it is exactly how I felt when I went.

This would skew the crowds somewhat - I might have only gone to a couple of centrals games a year at most, so if that's the case it makes sense for me to choose the crows game to go to. This could also explain some of the drop in other games too

agree

if you were a sturt/crows supporter who mainly went to watched the crows games either live or on tv and went to the occasional sturt game when they crows werent on it makes perfect sense that the games you would plan to go to would be the sturt/crows games.

What i have found though is that alot of these supporters go there intending to have a relaxing, carnival type day and are very surprised at the anger from the passionate SANFL fans towards the concept.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:11 pm

Would also be interesting to see how many joint Crows Member/SANFL club members have dropped off.

Not normally good business to devalue your product so much by giving one section completely free usage.
whufc
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:18 pm

Another insightful comment from GossipGirl. I don't even understand what that means in relation to this.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby matt1 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:21 pm

whufc wrote:Would also be interesting to see how many joint Crows Member/SANFL club members have dropped off.

Not normally good business to devalue your product so much by giving one section completely free usage.

Free usage? The SANFL Clubs each receive $50k per year from the AFC. If there's only 200 people coming, as most suggest, this equates to $2800 per game in gate takings. Isn't it the same as saying for $50k to each club, the AFC get to play in the comp and in return, AFC supporters are getting a season ticket to their SANFL games? At the risk of being shot down, this is the most reasonable part of the whole situation for me...
matt1
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 4 times

Postby whufc » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:26 pm

matt1 wrote:
whufc wrote:Would also be interesting to see how many joint Crows Member/SANFL club members have dropped off.

Free usage? The SANFL Clubs each receive $50k per year from the AFC. If there's only 200 people coming, as most suggest, this equates to $2800 per game in gate takings. Isn't it the same as saying for $50k to each club, the AFC get to play in the comp and in return, AFC supporters are getting a season ticket to their SANFL games? At the risk of being shot down, this is the most reasonable part of the whole situation for me...

So you think the SANFL should put no value on its competition.

Your essentailly saying the Crows should have been allowed to join the SANFL for free and the 50k just covers gate entrances.

I think 50k to enter a semi proffesional league when the league didnt have to have you is a very small price to pay to enter and the gate entry should be a extra bonus to the SANFL clubs.

As David Cavenett mentioned the 50k hasnt even gone close to covering the losses this year that Centrals have attributed to the AFL in SA situation.

Just on this website the decision meant they lost two passionate supporters who were player sponsors, regular president luncheon goers with added friends, corporate box users and general grand central facility users.

They would have been putting anywhere between 10-15k into centrals a year and they are only two supporters.
Last edited by whufc on Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whufc
Coach

Postby Dog Day Afternoon » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:27 pm

I think that is the problem - the brand has been trashed

- allow a section of the crowd in for free
- allow reserves teams in with all of the issues discussed
- move boundaries so that the "tribe" is no longer relevant
- have 3 different sets of rules

These moves all alienate the most passionate supporters. This is a text book case on how to destroy a viable business.
Dog Day Afternoon

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 21 times

Postby matt1 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:32 pm

whufc wrote:
matt1 wrote:

Your essentailly saying the Crows should have been allowed to join the SANFL for free and the 50k just covers gate entrances.

I think 50k to enter a semi proffesional league when the league didnt have to have you is a very small price to pay to enter and the gate entry should be a extra bonus to the SANFL clubs.

As David Cavenett mentioned the 50k hasnt even gone close to covering the losses this year that Centrals have attributed to the AFL in SA situation.

Not saying that at all. I wasn't commenting on whether the $50k (clearly most believe it isn't if we suffer them in our comp) is enough to receive or not. What I am saying is that providing the benefit of accessing games is reasonable in the climate. To suggest they are getting "free access" is factually incorrect. They get it as a benefit of their AFC membership (which they pay for) with an amount of money being paid to the SANFL Clubs for that access.
matt1
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 4 times

Postby RB » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:32 pm

bennymacca wrote:This would skew the crowds somewhat - I might have only gone to a couple of centrals games a year at most, so if that's the case it makes sense for me to choose the crows game to go to. This could also explain some of the drop in other games too

So you've been to two Sanfl games this year, compared to how many last year, Benny?
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1075 times

Postby RB » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:33 pm

Dog Day Afternoon wrote:This is a text book case on how to destroy a viable business.

Either a) the powers that be are nuts; or b) they don't give a duck.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1075 times

Postby whufc » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:36 pm

matt1 wrote:
whufc wrote:
matt1 wrote:

Not saying that at all. I wasn't commenting on whether the $50k (clearly most believe it isn't if we suffer them in our comp) is enough to receive or not. What I am saying is that providing the benefit of accessing games is reasonable in the climate. To suggest they are getting "free access" is factually incorrect. They get it as a benefit of their AFC membership (which they pay for) with an amount of money being paid to the SANFL Clubs for that access.

So i can safely say the Crows membership went up in price this year then on the basis they got entry into $18 SANFL games valued at $14 a game.
whufc
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL