SANFL crowd numbers

All discussions to do with the SANFL

SANFL crowd numbers

Postby the joker » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:11 pm

Having a look at the crowd numbers today. It's very interesting too see that Adelaide reserves are the number one attended side in the SANFL this season. When a lot of people here say they are boycotting any crows game vs there side. But the crows reserves have had the biggest crowd this year at prospect, Elizabeth, Alberton and glenelg

Total crowds 2014

Adelaide Crows 53,926

Norwood 53,551

Port Adelaide 49,224

Sturt 47,631

Glenelg 46,943

North Adelaide 44,753

Woodville-West Torrens 40,619

South Adelaide 32,902

Central District 32,869

West Adelaide 32,000
I love vegatarian food. It goes great with steak.
the joker
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 58 times

Re: SANFL crowd numbers

Postby LPH » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:15 pm

15000 of those attributed to 'Walker Return Game - on ANZAC Day, Friday Night & Country Game in Clare v Port
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby whufc » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:17 pm

Problem is you could take about 1k out for the first ever game novelty, the Taylor Walker game was around 7k higher than the standard Crows crowd (we can't rely on AFL comebacks every year) and the second Crows games are dropping attendance from the first time by about 30 % which doesn't bode well for the future.

I wasn't at the presidents lunch but Centrals president was saying that the hit the club took this year in losing memberships, sponsorship, game day attendances, grand central usage is far greater than the money they have received from the AFL clubs.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby the joker » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:37 pm

whufc wrote:
I wasn't at the presidents lunch but Centrals president was saying that the hit the club took this year in losing memberships, sponsorship, game day attendances, grand central usage is far greater than the money they have received from the AFL clubs.
thats not good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love vegatarian food. It goes great with steak.
the joker
Assistant Coach

Been liked: 58 times

Postby topsywaldron » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:42 pm

whufc wrote:Centrals president was saying that the hit the club took this year in losing memberships, sponsorship, game day attendances, grand central usage is far greater than the money they have received from the AFL clubs.

No shit Sherlock. Norwood have dropped 400 odd members from last year, one in which we won the **** flag, pretty easy to piss away 50K with that kind of decline.

Thankfully that'll all turn around over the next couple of decades with all the junior members jumping on with all the new found interest in the SANFL thanks to Port and the Crowz.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:48 pm

Not to mention Crows fans walk in the gates for free, I suspect some once a year SANFL fans are using their Crows membership to get in free to see their old SANFL club play
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:37 am

Dutchy wrote:Not to mention Crows fans walk in the gates for free, I suspect some once a year SANFL fans are using their Crows membership to get in free to see their old SANFL club play

Just imagine what a resounding success it would be if they just let everyone in for free.
Crowd numbers would even better which would prove letting ressies in the comp was a good idea
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby tipper » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:48 am

one thing i think the "pro" debate has overlooked, is that interest in the Crows ressies does not automatically translate into interest in the SANFL itself.

unless someone can show that there is a direct link between interest in the crows reserves and benefits to the sanfl clubs i think the above attendance figures are meaningless.

crows members do not contribute in any way to gate takings. i have no idea on their impact on canteen and bar takings. someone more in the know might be able to help there (it has been suggested that even though crowds for crows games are ok, canteen takings are well down). membership seems to be down at most clubs, by hundreds of supporters.

overall crowds do seem to be up this season, however 2013 was a record low season average was it not? not sure it is really a valid comparison when put up next to the low tide mark.... also, as mentioned by Whufc, first year there is certainly a novelty factor. the crows crowds seem to be dropping off dramatically as the season progresses.

round one, prospect crowd of 4015 (according to the post match thread on here, it has mysteriously changed to 4250 in the crows press release...........). fast forward to round 11 prospect. both sides in contention for top 5, North fans may have expected a win due to the flogging we handed out earlier, crowd of 2589 (game was on tv but not sure that can account for between 1500 to 1700 people not turning up, depending on whose numbers you use)

if that trend continues what will the crowds be this time next season? and even if the crowds dont drop any further, what benefit to North Adelaide if a significant number in the crowd dont contribute in any way to the gate takings or canteen/bar revenue?
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby Apachebulldog » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:08 am

I reckon after the Power Reserves take out the 2014 Premiership Cup we will see a huge drop in crowd numbers in season 2015.

Who wants to go and watch these AFL INTERLOPERS steal SANFL Premeirships .

So bluddy WRONG !!!!
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF.

Hit em hard let them get up and hit em again.
Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 115 times

Postby tipper » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:45 am

Apachebulldog wrote:I reckon after the Power Reserves take out the 2014 Premiership Cup we will see a huge drop in crowd numbers in season 2015.

Who wants to go and watch these AFL INTERLOPERS steal SANFL Premeirships .

So bluddy WRONG !!!!

completely agree. why would anyone support their sanfl club in future if the absolute best you could hope for was making it to second?? (or even third if the crows start getting the same set up as the power.....)
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby Pseudo » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:04 pm

Support the Pure SANFL ladder.

The best your team can come is first, and the worst is eighth.

You know it makes sense.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Booney » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:45 pm

Pseudo wrote:Support the Pure SANFL ladder.

The best your team can come is first, and the worst is eighth.

You know it makes sense.

Glenelg supporters. Making shit up to avoid coming 10th. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Rising Power » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:04 pm

If people are happy enough to refer to games against the AFL reserves as 'practice matches' and only look at the 'pure' ladder, lobby the 'pure' clubs to have a 'pure' finals series after the official finals series has played out. No one seems to be happy with an 18 game season...this way the season is extended and you get a 'pure' premiership. Pure and simple.

And to make this post on topic - the crowds may come flooding in for the 'pure' finals....
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby areaman » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:19 pm

Rising Power wrote:If people are happy enough to refer to games against the AFL reserves as 'practice matches' and only look at the 'pure' ladder, lobby the 'pure' clubs to have a 'pure' finals series after the official finals series has played out. No one seems to be happy with an 18 game season...this way the season is extended and you get a 'pure' premiership. Pure and simple.

And to make this post on topic - the crowds may come flooding in for the 'pure' finals....

How about we have a trophy for minor premiers involving the reserves teams and a genuine finals series without them. Call the minor premiership something else to make it sound better.

I know this will never happen but it's preferable to what we've got now!
areaman
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 31 times

Postby Rising Power » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:34 pm

areaman wrote:
Rising Power wrote:If people are happy enough to refer to games against the AFL reserves as 'practice matches' and only look at the 'pure' ladder, lobby the 'pure' clubs to have a 'pure' finals series after the official finals series has played out. No one seems to be happy with an 18 game season...this way the season is extended and you get a 'pure' premiership. Pure and simple.

How about we have a trophy for minor premiers involving the reserves teams and a genuine finals series without them. Call the minor premiership something else to make it sound better.

I know this will never happen but it's preferable to what we've got now!

TBH I wouldn't have too much of a problem with that but I haven't been to a SANFL GF since 1999...
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby spell_check » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:15 pm

tipper wrote:overall crowds do seem to be up this season, however 2013 was a record low season average was it not? not sure it is really a valid comparison when put up next to the low tide mark.... also, as mentioned by Whufc, first year there is certainly a novelty factor. the crows crowds seem to be dropping off dramatically as the season progresses.

That's what I've said before, this year only appears to be compared to last year...I wonder why. It's down or roughly equal with every other year in the past 15 years.
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Postby tipper » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:45 pm

spell_check wrote:
tipper wrote:overall crowds do seem to be up this season, however 2013 was a record low season average was it not? not sure it is really a valid comparison when put up next to the low tide mark.... also, as mentioned by Whufc, first year there is certainly a novelty factor. the crows crowds seem to be dropping off dramatically as the season progresses.

That's what I've said before, this year only appears to be compared to last year...I wonder why. It's down or roughly equal with every other year in the past 15 years.

It is only compared to last year as it better suits their position of the reserves sides being a good thing.

Lets face it, if the crowds this season were lower than last year (which was a record low) there wouldnt be any positives at all for them to point to...
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby Bounce of the ball » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:48 pm

Or the AFL clubs rack off and just leave it as a "pure" competition.

Nah second thoughts, hang around 1 more year , it will be good fun next year .

Then rack off . :lol:
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby Tassie Blues » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:38 pm

topsywaldron wrote:
whufc wrote:Centrals president was saying that the hit the club took this year in losing memberships, sponsorship, game day attendances, grand central usage is far greater than the money they have received from the AFL clubs.

No shit Sherlock. Norwood have dropped 400 odd members from last year, one in which we won the **** flag, pretty easy to piss away 50K with that kind of decline.

Thankfully that'll all turn around over the next couple of decades with all the junior members jumping on with all the new found interest in the SANFL thanks to Port and the Crowz.

Your Norwood number are slightly out

Norwood
2012 -2888
2013 – 3223
2014 – 3111
Tassie Blues
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby philcas » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:07 pm

So the crows games have the highest average crowd attendance. They also have the lowest crowd attendance for 2014 so far "1302" against westies. Now my rekoning should they be the best crowd pulers they would never be the lowest attendance on any week. Before last week the crows had 5weeks of the lowest attendance for the week.
I know The stats dont lie but it doesnt give the true picture of how many people follow the crows sanfl each weekend. I am sure the crows members getting free entry helps sanfl club supporters go along as well.
philcas
Rookie

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 21 times
Grassroots Team: Athelstone

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL