The Passion for SANFL Football is Gone !!

All discussions to do with the SANFL

The Passion for SANFL Football is Gone !!

Postby Apachebulldog » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:24 pm

I do not know about the rest of you guys but the passion for SANFL for me is dead !!!

I attended six games this year my lowest attendance in FORTY FIVE years .

Gave the AFL INTERLOPERS a wide berth.

Gave Alberton away this year one of my favorite grounds where i hardly missed a game against the real mighty Magpies 1870 - 2013 !!
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF.

Hit em hard let them get up and hit em again.
Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 115 times

Re: The Passion for SANFL Football is Gone !!

Postby LPH » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:38 pm

Yeah, I hear ya.

Will go to the Finals next week & probably the Grand Final, but 2015?
Looking unlikely at this stage :(
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Pseudo » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:53 pm

I missed two games because the season had been shortened by two games to suit AFL interests.

I missed four games because they were practice matches against interlopers and not worthy of recognition.

I missed two games because I simply could not be arsed going; the dimunition of Our Competition was a factor in this.

I missed two games because I was somewhere over the Pacific: one heading northeast, one coming southwest.

I therefore attended ten games; the lowest total I have attended since 1991 when the Bays played home games at West Lakes and I spent most of my winter weekends focussing on an honours thesis. Of those ten games only one was a win.

This has been the most underwhelming season in memory, and not just because of the on-field results. I did not take out membership (due wholly to my club playing its role in allowing garbage into the comp) and have not missed it. I find myself caring very little that my mob rarely wins; I am turning up at games largely for shits and giggles: carrying on with mates, drinking overpriced pisswater, and getting away from the trouble-and-strife for an afternoon. I do not give a flying fig who "wins" the premiership at this point, coming as it will from a series of matches against teams which should not be in the competition, and not a fair measure of betterness against evenly matched teams.

I hold some hope that the situation will be mitigated next year when the dickheads in charge stop backslapping each other for long enough to realise that they've buggered the competition. I hope that in the long term the league will return to a fair competition between evenly-matched clubs. Whether this happens because the SANFL grows a set of balls, of beacuse the interlopers leave of their own volition when they find that the conditions no longer satisfy their foul needs, I do not care. I suspect that the latter reason will be the case.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1557 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Spargo » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:31 am

This ^
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5474 times
Been liked: 5116 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby on the rails » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:49 am

I went to ONE game and only to catch up with my mates. Passion that was there for years died when the lies of my club re the AFL reserves teams won the fight.
Piss weak SANFL and the CLOWNS who run it.
on the rails
League - Top 5

Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:56 am

Apachebulldog wrote:I do not know about the rest of you guys but the passion for SANFL for me is dead !!!

Gave Alberton away this year one of my favorite grounds where i hardly missed a game against the real mighty Magpies 1870 - 2013 !!

Maybe that's because your team is not playing finals.

You blokes have just got to accept the comp has a Port and Crows reserve team and deal with it. Your like petulant little children bitching every day over it. At the end of the day it is what it is.

Personally I can't wait until next weeks SANFL double header at AO.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 845 times

Postby RB » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:08 am

If he's been following Centrals for forty-five years, I hardly think not making finals would make a difference to him.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 764 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:12 am

RB wrote:If he's been following Centrals for forty-five years, I hardly think not making finals would make a difference to him.

Fair call, Flashbacks maybe :)
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:18 am

wristwatcher wrote:
Apachebulldog wrote:I do not know about the rest of you guys but the passion for SANFL for me is dead !!!

You blokes have just got to accept the comp has a Port and Crows reserve team and deal with it. Your like petulant little children bitching every day over it. At the end of the day it is what it is.

Why have they got to accept it. Everyone has a right to their opinion and a right to express it as often as they like.
The title of the thread is a bit of a give away. If you don't want to read their opinions why open the thread and post in it.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby RustyCage » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:22 am

I've been to 98% of magpie games since the mid 90s and I'd say no, the SANFL isn't dying as much as you guys all want it to. Port v Eagles, Port v North and Centrals v Port have been three of the best games I've been to.

Any Glenelg fan there yesterday or Centrals fan at their win against us a few weeks ago would know just how much passion there was in the crowd and on the oval.
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:27 am

johntheclaret wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:

Why have they got to accept it. Everyone has a right to their opinion and a right to express it as often as they like.
The title of the thread is a bit of a give away. If you don't want to read their opinions why open the thread and post in it.
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby JK » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:29 am

Not gone, but reduced, imho.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:31 am

johntheclaret wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:

That's right everyone has their right to an opinion. I don't think its lost it's passion. I'm looking forward to an exciting finals series. You might be too if you had of made it. That's my opinion
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:35 am

wristwatcher wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:

That's right everyone has their right to an opinion. I don't think its lost it's passion. I'm looking forward to an exciting finals series. That's my opinion

And I respect you for it.
Last edited by johntheclaret on Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:47 am

JK wrote:Not gone, but reduced, imho.

I think I'm as this.
Not really sure how I feel about the comp this year.
I know I'm totally against the structure that we have this year which I think has turned results into a bit of a lottery, and I'm sure in the long term it isn't going to be good for the comp. Hocking has publicly said how it is for Port and no doubt those are the same sentiments of Adelaide FC.

I do know I used to get up and do the gameday thread on the Roost every week and I've only been bothered to do it once this year.
Will I support the club financially next season? I'm not sure yet, I'll have to wait and see what happens in the close season.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:58 am

Only went to 3 away games this year. Easily my worst effort in 40 years, and that was with no excuses of overseas trips like '13 and '12.
And the only reason I went to every home game was to catch up with mates and the fact I live around the corner.
I wouldn't have gone to one game if it wasn't for catching up with mates.
Even chose a couple of Div 6 SAAFL games over North games this year.
10 years ago I'd go to at least 40 SANFL games, even managing 3 in one day.

On the other hand though I've been to my most AFL games in a year this century.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3886 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Mr Fuller » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:10 am

In the past I would have watched most of the matches the eagles have been involved in. This year I only went to about 10 matches.

In addition to my support of the eagles, one of the things I used to do was pay more attention to the outcomes of the other matches. When the opposition was playing my team I could recognise quite a few of their players, know who has been in good form etc. This season I couldn't care less the outcome of other matches and could barely identify any of the opposition when they play. Largely this has been due to the pitiful exposure of the SANFL by the media (I thought this was supposed to increase with the Crows/Power?????)

I guess this means my passion for the eagles and the SANFL in general is dying for me.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby Aerie » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:14 am

There are glimpses of the passion, but definitely more often than not, it is gone. The games against Adelaide especially were terrible.

Eagles becoming representative of Port Adelaide area and losing West Torrens was the final nail and I know of a few in the same boat. I won't be renewing next season. Ended up going to 10 of 18 games. Will become like the majority and be a dormant follower.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby SDK » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:15 am

Personally my passion for the game is still as high as it has ever been and I know my fellow Norwood supporters are the same.
I have been delighted to see our young players continue to improve after losing 12 players from last year's premiership side.
You can be sure the South and Sturt supporters would be just as passionate as well this year.
Can certainly understand West, Centrals and North people being disappointed at missing the finals this year and the Eagles have had a strange year.
A Port Power friend of mine went to the SANFL game at Alberton last week and said he did not realize the standard was that high and totally enjoyed the game.
SDK
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 51 times

Postby Wedgie » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:22 am

SDK wrote:Personally my passion for the game is still as high as it has ever been and I know my fellow Norwood supporters are the same.
I have been delighted to see our young players continue to improve after losing 12 players from last year's premiership side.
You can be sure the South and Sturt supporters would be just as passionate as well this year.
Can certainly understand West, Centrals and North people being disappointed at missing the finals this year and the Eagles have had a strange year.
A Port Power friend of mine went to the SANFL game at Alberton last week and said he did not realize the standard was that high and totally enjoyed the game.

Loyal people jumped off before the season even started.
Position on the ladder is irrelevent. I didn't miss a loss in 2003 when we came bottom winning only 1 game.
The invasion, compromise and integrity is what's relevent here.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3886 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL