2014 Recruits- Hits,Misses and undecided

Talk on the national game

Re: 2014 Recruits- Hits,Misses and undecided

Postby bennymacca » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:58 pm

Name me a side with 18 a graders?

The rest of your list minus betts I probably agree with. To put betts in there is utterly ridiculous though.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Q. » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:02 pm

carey wrote:
Q. wrote:Clinton Young has been good this year.

Surely you kid? :shock:

No. He's been good of half back this year.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby whufc » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:04 pm

bennymacca wrote:Name me a side with 18 a graders?

The rest of your list minus betts I probably agree with. To put betts in there is utterly ridiculous though.

I only put Betts in there because i dont believe he will be at his best when the Crows are next a shot at the Premiership

no team has 18 a graders but teams like Geelong, Hawthorn, Sydney have a couple of A+, a few A Graders and then a very long list of b graders who would all get a game at most other teams starting 18.

Name me some players from those 3 teams who wouldnt get a gig at the Crows at present, wouldnt be many. Maybe the rucks at Geelong wouldnt get a gig ahead of Jacobs.

imho the next 5 years will see Hawthorn, Sydney continue to dominate at least for the next couple, Geelong and Freo to be around the place and continue to play finals, Port and Kangaroos to build fairly strongly and push for some top 4 positions and the emergence of Gold Coast and GWS.
Last edited by whufc on Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2530 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Jim05 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:05 pm

Can only comment on what of seen over the 2 times we played the Crows at SANFL level but there is some dead set duds running around in the reserves. Crouch and Kerridge look ok but Reilly and Porps are cooked, Johnston has gone backwards a million miles and guys like Graham, Siggins, Ellis-Yeoman, Petrenko, McKernan, Atkins are genuine D graders. Out of the AFL side Martin and Thompson are no good and Rutten is retiring. Doesnt appear too much depth there at all. Have a good top 4-5 but falls away rapidly after that. Crows are with a bunch of sides who wont win a flag in the next 5 years and will be lucky to play meaningful finals in that time
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby whufc » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:07 pm

Jim05 wrote:Can only comment on what of seen over the 2 times we played the Crows at SANFL level but there is some dead set duds running around in the reserves. Crouch and Kerridge look ok but Reilly and Porps are cooked, Johnston has gone backwards a million miles and guys like Graham, Siggins, Ellis-Yeoman, Petrenko, McKernan, Atkins are genuine D graders. Out of the AFL side Martin and Thompson are no good and Rutten is retiring. Doesnt appear too much depth there at all. Have a good top 4-5 but falls away rapidly after that. Crows are with a bunch of sides who wont win a flag in the next 5 years and will be lucky to play meaningful finals in that time

1 billion percent agree!
whufc
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:13 pm

Jim05 wrote:Can only comment on what of seen over the 2 times we played the Crows at SANFL level but there is some dead set duds running around in the reserves. Crouch and Kerridge look ok but Reilly and Porps are cooked, Johnston has gone backwards a million miles and guys like Graham, Siggins, Ellis-Yeoman, Petrenko, McKernan, Atkins are genuine D graders. Out of the AFL side Martin and Thompson are no good and Rutten is retiring. Doesnt appear too much depth there at all. Have a good top 4-5 but falls away rapidly after that. Crows are with a bunch of sides who wont win a flag in the next 5 years and will be lucky to play meaningful finals in that time

This is our bigger problem imo and I agree with you. Jaensch is an afl standard footballer imo but he shouldn't be a walk up start as he is now.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby whufc » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:32 pm

bennymacca wrote:

This is our bigger problem imo and I agree with you. Jaensch is an afl standard footballer imo but he shouldn't be a walk up start as he is now.

Agree.
whufc
Coach

Postby saintal » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:18 pm

Weller has a been a reasonable pick up for St Kilda. Expected more from Savage.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby TEX07 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:02 pm

I would have put White and Polek for Power as hits?

the difference between the Geelongs, Hawks, Swans and even Power to the Crows list is their B grade footballers are streets ahead of ours!
hola acabo de hacer que el yo se resuelve lo que este los medios en español
TEX07
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 49 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby bennymacca » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:27 pm

Yeah although polec got tagged out of it a little too easily in the latter half, the fact that he started to attract the tagger has to be a win.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby stan » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:16 am

bennymacca wrote:Name me a side with 18 a graders?

I would look at Sydneys starting 18 and would say they would be close.
I know what you mean as not all players will be stars or A grades as such and some players are role players.

To be honest I think Betts has been alright this season, is he worth the money to get him, which I think was more like 500K not 600K, but still maybe he has and maybe he hasn't, at the end of the day he is playing a small forward role, the crows needed one and got one. They payed overs for what they believe is something there team was missing, cant fault that.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:26 am

carey wrote:
Q. wrote:Clinton Young has been good this year.

Surely you kid? :shock:

Not as much as you're kidding including him in the 2014 recruits list, Carey. He came to the Pies in 2013. ;)
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:26 am

For us:

Thomas - huge miss
Docherty - should be ok
Everitt - hit (been good)
Wood - jury still out (not enough evidence your honour)
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby Sorry Dude » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:38 am

carey wrote:I agree Betts output has been ok but $600k a year vs output? I'm undecided.

Kick 50 a year for 2-3 years in a row and I'll deem him a hit

But you also have to have a look at how many he gives off and sets up in general play. As a Crows supporter I was a bit dissapointed with him (considering what we invested), but looking at his numbers I quickly changed my tune.......a little.

Going forward he will need to add a lot more for it to be deemed a win.
Sorry Dude
League - Top 5

Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 73 times

Postby Sorry Dude » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:54 am

whufc wrote:
bennymacca wrote:I think all of the three you named have had good seasons.

Still will never be anything more than B Graders at absolute best.

Good season in a very average side isnt saying alot about their ability.

The only one out of those 3 that have improved on last year and have had a semi decent year is Jaensch. Wright is lucky to be picked each week and I am honsetly shocked he hasn't been dropped yet. Mackay can be a decent player, but he just looks quite lazy at times and can be weak at the contest at times also.
Sorry Dude
League - Top 5

Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 73 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:55 am

Lance franklin has done ok.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:02 am

Sorry Dude wrote:
carey wrote:I agree Betts output has been ok but $600k a year vs output? I'm undecided.

But you also have to have a look at how many he gives off and sets up in general play. As a Crows supporter I was a bit dissapointed with him (considering what we invested), but looking at his numbers I quickly changed my tune.......a little.

what does a hell of a lot more mean? currently 9th in the afl for goals, and second for small forwards. does he need 70 goals a season?

more goals assists? he is currently ranked third in the AFL behind robbie gray and breust.

i think he gets marked incredibly harshly. the people that say he drifts in and out of games fail to recognise that every small forward does that.

he has been more consistent than chad wingard for instance, and nobody would accuse wingard of having a bad season.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:05 am

bennymacca wrote:
Sorry Dude wrote:

what does a hell of a lot more mean? currently 9th in the afl for goals, and second for small forwards. does he need 70 goals a season?

more goals assists? he is currently ranked third in the AFL behind robbie gray and breust.

i think he gets marked incredibly harshly. the people that say he drifts in and out of games fail to recognise that every small forward does that.

he has been more consistent than chad wingard for instance, and nobody would accuse wingard of having a bad season.

Wingard is probably on half the money and will be part of ports next premiership assault with his best years more than likely ahead of him
whufc
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:07 am

No, because it's Wingard's third season and he's on half the money.

However, I agree that Betts is judged harshly.
He is probably as effective as Milne was over his career and as a small forward he was highly regarded.
Small forwards generally do get judged harshly, but the provide unpredictability, which is a good weapon to have.
Wouldn't mind seeing Betts spend a little more time as a mid, provide some magic through there occasionally, like Didak did for the Pies.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby bennymacca » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:00 am

Dogwatcher wrote:No, because it's Wingard's third season and he's on half the money.

However, I agree that Betts is judged harshly.
He is probably as effective as Milne was over his career and as a small forward he was highly regarded.
Small forwards generally do get judged harshly, but the provide unpredictability, which is a good weapon to have.
Wouldn't mind seeing Betts spend a little more time as a mid, provide some magic through there occasionally, like Didak did for the Pies.

yeah i wouldnt mind seeing betts being used in the midfield a little more often. i doubt he has the tank to do it that often, but given he is so good at setting up the play, it would be worth it in short bursts.

and the money wingard is on vs betts is a bit misleading too - if wingard was on the open market now he would command much more than betts
bennymacca
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL