My Idea for a New Structure to the AFL Season

Talk on the national game

My Idea for a New Structure to the AFL Season

Postby bennymacca » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:39 am

Right now I think most of us think that it is a little unfair/uneven that you only play some of the teams twice, but most of the other ways around this without cutting the number of games played end up with contrived conference or division setups.

Well i think i have an idea that could solve the problems

Each teams plays each other once throughout the season. Games alternate every year home/away.

After 17 rounds, a top and bottom 9 is formed. This is basically division 1 and 2.

From that point on, each team plays everyone in their division for a second time. This creates 8 more matches for each division.

Then, at the end of the season, the top 4 play in two prelim finals, and then in the grand final.

You could either keep the ladder going, with previous wins carried into the second phase, or you could reset it all.

Maybe you could find some small way of rewarding the best performing div 2 team for the second phase to keep the lower teams in it (though i dont think they should have finals or anything like that)

Pros

A completely fair system.
The better teams are guaranteed to play each other twice, which means better games of football
more footy! every team plays 25 games, with the grand finalists playing 27 games.

Cons
not guaranteed two "blockbuster" games every year.
Some people think the season is too long already, and we also run into issues with scheduling, injuries, etc etc.
lots and lots of games at the end of the season that nobody cares about, like the WB GWS game.

just an idea guys, if you dont like it say so, say why you dont like it though. and before people say, we finished 10th so the crows wouldnt have made it this year anyway :D
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Re: My Idea for a New Structure to the AFL Season

Postby the joker » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:52 am

Won't be fair.
Let's say your 10th and one game out the 8. You will probably finish in the top 4 after playing all the lower sides again
I love vegatarian food. It goes great with steak.
the joker
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:58 am

the joker wrote:Won't be fair.
Let's say your 10th and one game out the 8. You will probably finish in the top 4 after playing all the lower sides again

They would then only finish top of the second division, they wouldn't go above 10th.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby the joker » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:01 am

So after round 17 your season is over.
the joker
Assistant Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:06 am

the joker wrote:So after round 17 your season is over.

In the bottom 9, probably. Hence why I said there has to be some small way of rewarding the div 2 winner.

But realistically the season was over for 7 or 8 teams post round 17 anyway.

But yep that is probably the biggest drawback, you create a lot of div 2 meaningless games.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby the joker » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:09 am

bennymacca wrote:
the joker wrote:So after round 17 your season is over.

In the bottom 9, probably. Hence why I said there has to be some small way of rewarding the div 2 winner.

But realistically the season was over for 7 or 8 teams post round 17 anyway.

But yep that is probably the biggest drawback, you create a lot of div 2 meaningless games.
Richmond had 6 wins at round 17
the joker
Assistant Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:10 am

Yep, that was pretty rare though.

But yeah the second phase of the season could get VERY long for some teams, collingwood was probably in the eight after round 17 too
bennymacca
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:30 am

Considering the AFL follows everything the US does I reckon within 5 years there will be two conferences

Split into two divisions, one with the 10 Melbourne based clubs the other with the 8 interstate clubs otherwise they may split 9 and 9

This enabled the afl to maximise attendances and tv ratings even further.

Finals would still be top 8 with the top 3 from each division automatically in and then the two best records in as well to make the 8.

This guarentees nationwide interest in the finals and would mean having small division most teams seasons will still be alive late in the year.

I hate the idea but have no doubt the AFL will head down a path like that in the near future
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2530 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:44 am

25 weeks of footy. Need to incorporate the byes
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11844 times
Been liked: 3600 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:48 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:25 weeks of footy. Need to incorporate the byes

Yep. Another issue.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:52 am

whufc wrote:Considering the AFL follows everything the US does I reckon within 5 years there will be two conferences

Split into two divisions, one with the 10 Melbourne based clubs the other with the 8 interstate clubs otherwise they may split 9 and 9

This enabled the afl to maximise attendances and tv ratings even further.

Finals would still be top 8 with the top 3 from each division automatically in and then the two best records in as well to make the 8.

This guarentees nationwide interest in the finals and would mean having small division most teams seasons will still be alive late in the year.

I hate the idea but have no doubt the AFL will head down a path like that in the near future

Good post.

I really hope they don't go down that line. Just don't see any benefit from it, though the guaranteed nation wide finals interest is one very small benefit, I don't think this outweighs the negatives.

Another option for divisions I have seen is based on last years ladder, then you play everyone twice from your division and everyone once from the other division, and have promotion and relegation. This works in that it is completely fair, but I don't like that it then takes 2 years for any club to make the div 1 finals.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:24 am

The huge benefit I have heard from the 'experts' that have suggested it is for the sustanability of the small Melbourne clubs

At present the smaller clubs like bulldogs and demons cannot survive under the current system, especially having home games against GWS, GC etc etc

The AFL cannot afford to lose these clubs as they need the 9 games to maximise TV deals and at present they see no other place as suitable for an expansion side (personally I think tassie is a great idea) so these smaller clubs are still critical to the AFL

By having the divisions it would most likely mean you play your division rivals twice once home once away given these smaller clubs a chance to maximise profits with guarenteed home games against the big Melbourne clubs

It's the only way to give these small clubs a chance to survive while not taking away blockbuster games from the big clubs!

It makes perfect sense unfortunatly
whufc
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:53 am

I agree that there is a market in Tasmania and they deserve their own team. Given hawthorn and north move their games down there because it is MORE profitable too, this tells me the economics can work, providing tassie gets behind the club.

Could play half their games in launceston and half in Hobart.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:15 am

bennymacca wrote:I agree that there is a market in Tasmania and they deserve their own team. Given hawthorn and north move their games down there because it is MORE profitable too, this tells me the economics can work, providing tassie gets behind the club.

Could play half their games in launceston and half in Hobart.

Brayshaw has said numerous times that Tassie is only viable because the Tassie government pumps in massive $$ to get them down there. Not sure if they are willing or able to put in more to get a permanent side down there but It would be good to see a side based there.
The Etihad deal is what holds back North and the Dogs, they get stitched up majorly and hence the reason why the AFL are in the process of buying it.
I know when Etihad was built they wanted a large Melbourne club in there so they had more bargaining power with the MCG. Collingwood, Richmond and Carlton were not interested initially and we said no at first. They came back with a much improved offer for us so we took it, hence our deal is far better than the Dogs or North. Not sure what the exact figures are as I havnt been to the last 2 AGM's but I still believe that we make more money from a 40-45k crowd then what they do with a full house.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby bennymacca » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:17 am

Yeah it does seem like they get screwed over a bit with the stadium deals.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Pag » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:27 am

I'd rather go to 20-teams and have promotion/relegation than do conferences. I would never see Richmond play in Adelaide if that was the case, and vice versa for supporters of interstate clubs living in Melbourne.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby whufc » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:33 pm

Pag wrote:I'd rather go to 20-teams and have promotion/relegation than do conferences. I would never see Richmond play in Adelaide if that was the case, and vice versa for supporters of interstate clubs living in Melbourne.

The version I heard is the fixture wouldn't much different to it is now, each team plays there own division sides twice and then the games to make it up to a 23 game season would be cross division games
whufc
Coach

Postby MatteeG » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:26 pm

bennymacca wrote:Each teams plays each other once throughout the season. Games alternate every year home/away.

This. :D
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby whufc » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:28 pm

MatteeG wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Each teams plays each other once throughout the season. Games alternate every year home/away.

This. :D

Agree it's the ideal solution other than home and away, unfortunately though having every side playing 5 less games would cost the AFL and it's club millions especially when the AFL manipulates the fixture so the extra games are the 'blockbuster' games
whufc
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:32 pm

So round 17 comes along and round 18 needs to be arranged for season ticket holders, fans to travel, catering at the venues etc etc?

Nope, the AFL can't get much right as far as the fixture goes and you want to give them one week to do it?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7493 times
Been liked: 10776 times

Next

Board index   Football  AFL