Watching Prelims

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Watching Prelims

Postby Wild Thing » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:43 pm

What are the general thoughts on the side already in the GF going out to watch their opponents in the Prelim?

If they do they invariably get accused of being arrogant and standing around all day drinking piss - is there anything to be gained from it? Do the players actually learn anything?

For what it is worth I think it is a waste of time myself
Wild Thing
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Re: Watching Prelims

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:51 pm

Good thread.

I think clubs are always going to be inquisitive as to what they'll come up against the next week.

I dont think there's anything wrong with it, provided participants aren't being knobs as karma can be a vengeful elephant 8)
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby Boosh » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:06 pm

I will probably watch a bit of CLG and WOS because our B Grade are playing before hand but not because I think I will learn anything from it.
I have a problem. It's to do with the little man, the squashed-in French man, the naked little squashed up hairy boy! You know! With the hand feet
*I apologise to Hope Valley people in advance, no offence intended
Boosh
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 256 times
Been liked: 192 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby S Demon » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:45 pm

Dont do it.

Let the coaching staff go and have a look and maybe one or two in the leadership group

Go watch another game or have some time off

I've told this story before on here about the year CLG came to the Qualifying Final between us and WOS back in 08. All standing together, drinking and giving both sides a mouthful. Gave us heaps as we were getting done, then all of a sudden we came flying back and won by less than a kick. Our boys all remembered the next week and went out to CLG and beat them in the 2nd Semi. Then WOS beat them the week after in the prelim...

I always said that if we were ever in the same position as CLG were, be it a prelim or a qualifying final, that our players would be encouraged to stay away and there isn't much to be gained from it IMO. Each to their own though
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 370 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby heater31 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:49 pm

If I was a coach of a team already in a GF I wouldn't be making a song and dance about watching potential opponent. Certainly would not advertise the fact that my club is there.

Low key is the go. You don't see AFL or SANFL teams causing a big storm by scouting opponents.....if you look hard enough you will find them watching
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby swingman » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:51 pm

I don't think players would get much out of watching it, most would just use it as a social event to hang out with a few mates for the day and probably watch with no interest other then the scoreboard. Coaches definitely would benefit from going to watch and would be silly not to along with the few senior more experienced players id suggest.
swingman
Rookie

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: North Pines

Postby BurraBoys » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:14 pm

Why do they need to be drinking? Is it impossible to go the game, sit quietly, watch your potential opponent and the movement of the game without drinking and being and arse?
Wise man say forgivness is divine but never pay full price for late pizza
BurraBoys
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 23 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby Cohiba » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:17 pm

BurraBoys wrote:Why do they need to be drinking? Is it impossible to go the game, sit quietly, watch your potential opponent and the movement of the game without drinking and being and arse?

Agreed....Big assumption by Wild Thing saying that anyone scouting an opponent would do so and stand around drinking "piss" all day (beer man myself)......Can only be speaking from personal experience..... :roll:
Cohiba
Reserves

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 41 times

Postby Pag » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:42 pm

I will always go and have a look. There's always something else you can learn.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby bird of prey » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:02 pm

I agree that a large playing group going together probably isn't the best idea. It'll always lead to heckling, etc.
I think it should just be the coaching staff, and maybe the captain. And if some players wanna go down to actually learn something about the opposition, then don't do it with a group. Just go on your own maybe.
bird of prey
Under 18s

Been liked: 40 times

Postby morell » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:24 pm

S Demon wrote:Dont do it.

Let the coaching staff go and have a look and maybe one or two in the leadership group

Go watch another game or have some time off

I've told this story before on here about the year CLG came to the Qualifying Final between us and WOS back in 08. All standing together, drinking and giving both sides a mouthful. Gave us heaps as we were getting done, then all of a sudden we came flying back and won by less than a kick. Our boys all remembered the next week and went out to CLG and beat them in the 2nd Semi. Then WOS beat them the week after in the prelim...

I always said that if we were ever in the same position as CLG were, be it a prelim or a qualifying final, that our players would be encouraged to stay away and there isn't much to be gained from it IMO. Each to their own though
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gold!

CLG and finals. Always provide value.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby morell » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:27 pm

We went in 2012 to the 2 TTG and Henley games. I think it can provide valuable insight, especially if you're a key position player or matched up against someone specific.

Of course decorum and tact should be applied in spades, which the coaching and leadership groups should manage. I recall TTG warming up near us, we said good luck and wished them well.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Wild Thing » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:02 pm

Cohiba wrote:
BurraBoys wrote:Why do they need to be drinking? Is it impossible to go the game, sit quietly, watch your potential opponent and the movement of the game without drinking and being and arse?

Agreed....Big assumption by Wild Thing saying that anyone scouting an opponent would do so and stand around drinking "piss" all day (beer man myself)......Can only be speaking from personal experience..... :roll:

I said they get accused of - I was referring to when large groups of players are watching the game. Just been my experience that is what is said regardless of what they are doing
Wild Thing
Rookie

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Johno6 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:37 pm

this!

we have gone and watched teams in pre lims before and not drank, sat there quietly and left.

its not that hard not to be a complete dick sometimes.
R.I.P Mum 28/02/12

Asterix Users - Squibs
Johno6
Coach

Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 604 times

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:13 pm

Johno6 wrote:

so many lines... so many lines...lol

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Postby Bluedemon » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:17 pm

I reckon the coaches and the captains should go and watch so they can look at any possible match ups
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 96 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Johno6 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:49 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
Johno6 wrote:

so many lines... so many lines...lol

theres no need for that FC, I have a right mind to report your post for insinuating I am a dickhead 100% of the time.
when we know for a fact its more like 90-95%
R.I.P Mum 28/02/12

Asterix Users - Squibs
Johno6
Coach

Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 604 times

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:38 pm

yeah but at least you're a funny one :lol:

Footy Chick

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League