Biggest Finals Upsets

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Biggest Finals Upsets

Postby Hefty » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:46 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:Who has the longest premiership drought in the A's now? Old Iggies, North Haven, North Pines or others?

Hope Valley haven't won an A grade flag since 94'
Hefty
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 110 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby Pag » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:53 pm

Salisbury North is up there as well, 1989 was the last A Grade flag I believe.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby morell » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:27 pm

jaykay13 wrote:Taking pot shots at your club morrell? Your kidding - your the biggest troll on SA footy!
Yeah, pot shots. I was mentioning some "Big Finals Upsets" as per the intention of the thread, and CLG people started having pot shots at Mitchell Park about how many games we've won this year and that we're a disgrace - which is completely off topic. If you're going to mention MP at least make it relevant eg - finals upsets.

And having a cheeky sense of humour <> troll. I like to stir a couple of people up on here because it's funny seeing them lose their top and thats what the pundits want to see.

jaykay13 wrote:While I got your attention - my mail says your club is going to spend big bucks on buying a premiership - but as you've stated on numerous occasions, your club doesn't pay players! Does the name Bill mean anything to you? :D
Big bucks? A few ex players and supporters buying a club sponsorship is big bucks now? We will be lucky and very fortunate to get a few grand out of Billy's membership drive. Buying a premiership? Are you serious? Did you see this years results? We're buying the ability to stay alive as a football club FFS.

Does the name Bill mean anything? Hahaha, only in the showers, where all of a sudden it means a hell of a lot ;) but yes, Billy and I are very good mates and I am helping him with his work for the footy club, maybe do a bit of social research before going off half cocked ....

We haven't paid players in recent history, probably since the SAFA days. We are hoping that with the money Billy is raising that we might be able to recruit and retain 3 or 4 key people who can help generate some numbers. If that means we now "pay players" then so be it, sign of the times.

Now, hopefully thats answered most of your questions, maybe instead of worrying about me "trolling" you should start worrying about your culture as a football club and why you fail time and time again when it matters.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:17 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:Morrell unless you're calling myself and 2000 other supporters liars aswell the 95 South Premiership was won by CLG.

I'm going to call the A5 North flag was won by Wingfield Royals from memory. If I'm right **** I'm good? Just remembering a childhood image I saw on their club wall (or on crime stoppers)

1995 A5 North was won by Smithfield over Elizabeth in a boil over Elizabeth's only loss for the year from memory
A5 North Reserves Broadview over North Pines. I should know I played in that game 20 year reunion next year!!!!!!!
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:51 pm

Pag wrote:Salisbury North is up there as well, 1989 was the last A Grade flag I believe.

Good.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:52 pm

FOURTH ESTATE wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:Morrell unless you're calling myself and 2000 other supporters liars aswell the 95 South Premiership was won by CLG.

I'm going to call the A5 North flag was won by Wingfield Royals from memory. If I'm right **** I'm good? Just remembering a childhood image I saw on their club wall (or on crime stoppers)

1995 A5 North was won by Smithfield over Elizabeth in a boil over Elizabeth's only loss for the year from memory
A5 North Reserves Broadview over North Pines. I should know I played in that game 20 year reunion next year!!!!!!!
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:54 pm

FOURTH ESTATE wrote:

FFS! I'm trying to forget that. Was hoping no one would bring it up.
You're right. Smithfield got the closest to us in the minor round - we respected them for a good reason.
We had youth on our side, they had hard heads and experience, much like what I witnessed with WOS this year.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:34 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:Is it right that North Haven have never won one?

29 years since they last won an A grade flag (i was reliably told) and have never won one badged as North Haven.

Correct Gadj.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10340 times
Been liked: 1520 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:20 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
FOURTH ESTATE wrote:

FFS! I'm trying to forget that. Was hoping no one would bring it up.
You're right. Smithfield got the closest to us in the minor round - we respected them for a good reason.
We had youth on our side, they had hard heads and experience, much like what I witnessed with WOS this year.

First game of the year was Elizabeth v Broadview. Our C & D Grade against their A & B Grade.

We got smashed in both games in what proved to be a long year for our C Grade.
We started 2-3 in the D Grade then won the next 15 straight to win the flag.

Grand Final Score A5N & A5RN

Smithfield 5.5 9.6 13.11 17.11
Elizabeth 5.1 7.4 9.8 13.14

Broadview 3.3 3.6 8.8 13.10
North Pines 1.1 5.2 7.4 9.5
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:42 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:Is it right that North Haven have never won one?

29 years since they last won an A grade flag (i was reliably told) and have never won one badged as North Haven.

Correct Gadj.

The size of the loss in 2003 GF was suprising. Both sides finished with equal wins from memory after minor round. trading losses on the oppositions home turf. Especially tough losing to the dogs in a derby GF. Expected a close one that day
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby jaykay13 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:05 pm

morell wrote:
jaykay13 wrote:Taking pot shots at your club morrell? Your kidding - your the biggest troll on SA footy!
Yeah, pot shots. I was mentioning some "Big Finals Upsets" as per the intention of the thread, and CLG people started having pot shots at Mitchell Park about how many games we've won this year and that we're a disgrace - which is completely off topic. If you're going to mention MP at least make it relevant eg - finals upsets.

And having a cheeky sense of humour <> troll. I like to stir a couple of people up on here because it's funny seeing them lose their top and thats what the pundits want to see.

jaykay13 wrote:While I got your attention - my mail says your club is going to spend big bucks on buying a premiership - but as you've stated on numerous occasions, your club doesn't pay players! Does the name Bill mean anything to you? :D
Big bucks? A few ex players and supporters buying a club sponsorship is big bucks now? We will be lucky and very fortunate to get a few grand out of Billy's membership drive. Buying a premiership? Are you serious? Did you see this years results? We're buying the ability to stay alive as a football club FFS.

Does the name Bill mean anything? Hahaha, only in the showers, where all of a sudden it means a hell of a lot ;) but yes, Billy and I are very good mates and I am helping him with his work for the footy club, maybe do a bit of social research before going off half cocked ....

We haven't paid players in recent history, probably since the SAFA days. We are hoping that with the money Billy is raising that we might be able to recruit and retain 3 or 4 key people who can help generate some numbers. If that means we now "pay players" then so be it, sign of the times.

Now, hopefully thats answered most of your questions, maybe instead of worrying about me "trolling" you should start worrying about your culture as a football club and why you fail time and time again when it matters.

Well you either pay players or you don't - stop banging on that you don't! That should be the last time we hear MP dont pay players. Why do you continue with the "culture problem"? One club has over 120 registered players, 6 junior teams, has hosted the MSJFL carnival for the last 3 years and regularly plays finals - the other has 1 team, a b grade with another name and maybe 1 or 2 junior teams. I know which culture is better. Just worry about your own club and when you win a final against A grade teams and not division 7, C Grade sides - people may take notice of you! We may not have the greatest finals record but it's a hell of a lot easier to entice players when you are playing finals regularly!
jaykay13
Mini-League

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 6 times

Postby Wild Thing » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:17 am

2004 D5 - CBCOC over Fitzroy by 3 points. Fitzroy were undefeated (until GF day :D ) and had a handy full forward named Ben Hart who had slotted 150 goals for the year (but none on GF day).

When the clock was stopped after the umpire signalled the last goal kicked by the Dolphins to put them 3 points up there was 1 second left on the clock - the Fitzroy timekeeper got up and left the timekeepers box at Salisbury Oval in disgust!
Wild Thing
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Pag » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:10 am

I remember doing the scoreboard that day, crazy game.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby morell » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:49 am

jaykay13 wrote:Well you either pay players or you don't - stop banging on that you don't!
Jeepus, reading comprehension much? Binary sort of a thinker aren't you?

We do not currently pay players and haven't for a very long time. That doesn't mean we've never paid players - we were once a reasonably large club competing for serious premierships, I would hazard a guess there were several players in the SAFA days that were paid. That was 20-30 years ago for perspective.

This year I suspect we will have a small amount of money to try and attract some key people to the club in order to survive. We simply have to field two teams or we're dead. So for us, its not about recruiting mercenaries, it's about recruiting (and retaining) people who can bring people to the football club.

I don't like paying players at this level. Never have, never will, but if it means Mitchell Park survive, than I will happily put my personal preferences aside.

jaykay13 wrote:That should be the last time we hear MP dont pay players.
OK, sure!

jaykay13 wrote:Why do you continue with the "culture problem"?
I asked a genuine question which received no response. There has to be something to explain how CLG continually fail in finals they're expected to win.

If its not a cultural problem, what is it? And when I say cultural problem, I mean the culture of paid mercenaries. They win you the games that don't matter, but when its tough and hard in a final, pride in the guernsey, love for the club, wanting to win for your mates is a far bigger motivator than a little envelope with some pineapples in it.

This is the logic behind why WOS always get you (and others to be fair). They're a group of mates and community with a connection to their club that goes beyond rocking up for some coin.

jaykay13 wrote:One club has over 120 registered players, 6 junior teams, has hosted the MSJFL carnival for the last 3 years and regularly plays finals - the other has 1 team, a b grade with another name and maybe 1 or 2 junior teams. I know which culture is better. Just worry about your own club and when you win a final against A grade teams and not division 7, C Grade sides - people may take notice of you! We may not have the greatest finals record but it's a hell of a lot easier to entice players when you are playing finals regularly!
Good for you. Congratulations on all your success.
morell
Coach

Postby scottroo » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:47 am

Please Morell, move on mate, worry about your own club, every topic you bring up Clg, if you put as much effort as you do bagging us into your own club, I can actually see a future for Mitchell park, but the rumours I heard on the weekend it could be a real struggle for Mitchell park, which would be a shame because there are some good people there! Pull your head in and put in some work.
scottroo
League - Best 21

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 172 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby The Informer » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:58 am

scottroo wrote:Please Morell, move on mate, worry about your own club, every topic you bring up Clg, if you put as much effort as you do bagging us into your own club, I can actually see a future for Mitchell park, but the rumours I heard on the weekend it could be a real struggle for Mitchell park, which would be a shame because there are some good people there! Pull your head in and put in some work.

Morning Scottroo,

Any reason on why you have moved on your coach mate after getting you up a division last season and nearly doing the same this season?

Seems a bit weird to move on someone so passionate for your club.

Whats the official line?
The Informer
Reserves

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby HH3 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:06 am

The_Informer wrote:
scottroo wrote:Please Morell, move on mate, worry about your own club, every topic you bring up Clg, if you put as much effort as you do bagging us into your own club, I can actually see a future for Mitchell park, but the rumours I heard on the weekend it could be a real struggle for Mitchell park, which would be a shame because there are some good people there! Pull your head in and put in some work.

Morning Scottroo,

Any reason on why you have moved on your coach mate after getting you up a division last season and nearly doing the same this season?

Seems a bit weird to move on someone so passionate for your club.

Whats the official line?

This is a performance based industry, and after their end of season review, the senior players got together with their CEO and board members and only talked about their pub, and then somehow the coach got sacked.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby morell » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:06 am

It's an interesting topic! Why is it scottroo? You're a clever bloke, why do CLG fail in finals? If everyone on sa footy only talked about their club it wouldn't make for very good conversational forum would it?

Rumours are rumours, I've heard plenty of rumours about CLG too, some of them scathing, but I dont post them because, despite CLG posters defensive bitching, I'm not a troll - cheeky and like a bit of banter, yes, but not a troll. We're confident we will field two sides and be competitive in D7 next year. Also confident that the structure and business model of the football club in relation to the sporting club is changing for the better.

Also, I have made 92 posts which refer to CLG. Out of 1724 posts thats about 5%. You're not even the club I refer to the most! Youre not even in my top 3!! That honour goes to TTG, Angle Vale and Henley. So please, get over yourself - typical ******* CLG attitude.
Last edited by morell on Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
morell
Coach

Postby scottroo » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:19 am

I didn't post the rumours either, as I'm not a troll!
scottroo
League - Best 21

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 172 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby morell » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:20 am

Whilst true, you are a bit on the sooky and defensive side. Its alright mate, I am sure Dent will win you some finals.
morell
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League