2014 SANFL GRAND FINAL NORWOOD V PA RESERVES

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: 2014 SANFL GRAND FINAL NORWOOD V PA RESERVES

Postby maccad » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:00 pm

dedja wrote:
JK wrote:... it certainly felt like a Norwood v Port Grand Final to me yesterday. Two proud clubs that desperately wanted to win and gave their all ...

Real interesting point this one.

As a (somewhat biased) neutral, I couldn't fault what was happening on the field as Spermy has suggested.

What seemed very different to me was the crowd, the one sidedness which I've never, ever experienced in a final, let alone a Grand Final before ...and that includes the 1990 GF when most non- Port supporters were behind the Bays.

It was almost a surreal feeling.

How did others see this aspect? Was it just me?

Port supporters were there yesterday but unless they scored a goal you did not hear them, I don't even recall them screaming out for holding the ball or doing a magpies chant it was weird. Maybe they were still coming to terms with the power losing Saturday night but their supporters just did not get into the game. It did look to be all norwood, there was a lot red around the place.
maccad
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby fester69 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:01 pm

daysofourlives wrote:Turn it up on the greatest win in the clubs history, there was only one team out there that really cared about the result

How was the gardening yesterday, considering you had nowhere to be??
fester69
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 32 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Sucked in Scummerton!!

Postby fester69 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:02 pm

I would just like to say -
"SUCKED IN SCUMMERTON! ",
That is all.
fester69
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 32 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Re: Sucked in Scummerton!!

Postby RB » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:07 pm

I guess he misses out on Mad Monday (until he knocks off work).
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1075 times

Postby Second Team » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:23 pm

dedja wrote:I wouldn't part with bottle tops for Butcher.

Butcher making 300k a year and you are stuck in a dark room punching out 20 crap entries a day. I know who I feel sorry for. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Second Team
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby topsywaldron » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:27 pm

Second Team wrote:

Butcher used to make 300k a year and you are stuck in a dark room punching out 20 crap entries a day. I know who I feel sorry for. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Fixed that for you.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:38 pm

dedja wrote:
JK wrote:... it certainly felt like a Norwood v Port Grand Final to me yesterday. Two proud clubs that desperately wanted to win and gave their all ...

Real interesting point this one.

As a (somewhat biased) neutral, I couldn't fault what was happening on the field as Spermy has suggested.

What seemed very different to me was the crowd, the one sidedness which I've never, ever experienced in a final, let alone a Grand Final before ...and that includes the 1990 GF when most non- Port supporters were behind the Bays.

It was almost a surreal feeling.

How did others see this aspect? Was it just me?

I was down the Southern end with plenty of Magpies fans, sadly they yelled out "the future" and "50 metres!" showing many hadn't been to an SANFL game for a long time.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3507 times

Postby RB » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:39 pm

Jim05 wrote:Can assure you we were all fairly nervous with that last bomb into your forward 50

Was watching on TV and when the siren sounded, I had this great feeling if relief, not wanting the AFL reserves to win. Then I felt dirty cause I was celebrating a Norwood win. These are strange times.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1075 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:40 pm

topsywaldron wrote:
Second Team wrote:

Butcher used to make 300k a year and you are stuck in a dark room punching out 20 crap entries a day. I know who I feel sorry for. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Fixed that for you.

Incorrect, Butcher is contracted for 2015, we get another year of laughs out of him :lol:
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Legs Man » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:42 pm

Great win for us yesterday and certainly a surreal feeling with the one sided support.
Must admit i thoroughly enjoyed yelling out - GO THE POWER! at every opportunity.
"Never tear us apart" was quite appropriate as the Legs tore them a new one yesterday! :lol:
For a side that is supposedly professional Port's skills were appalling and hurt them enormously.
K Mac was brilliant again and should be a very proud leader.
Having not seen Butcher up close until yesterday I was shocked at his inability to kick - how did he get an AFL contract? :shock:
Legs Man
Under 16s

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:48 pm

Dutchy wrote:
topsywaldron wrote:
Second Team wrote:

Fixed that for you.

Incorrect, Butcher is contracted for 2015, we get another year of laughs out of him :lol:

You should get to a game next year, the Bays have got shitloads of blokes to laugh at.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:50 pm

Agree, but none are getting paid $2k a kick!
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby dedja » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:51 pm

But you've got Hitchy now Boon
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 996 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:52 pm

Booney wrote:Congratulations to Norwood, were too good on the day and in the finals series.

McGuinness and Bode were excellent across half back, although Port played into their hands for much of the second half with long kicks to 2 on three or 3 on four or in some instances one on four contests.

Baulderstone the best of the big men, he and Dawe beat Harvey comfortably, but Harvey could hold his head high, he battled his guts out all day.

Lewi Stevenson, Krakouer and the skipper Summerton did what they could to keep Port in it, but too many Port players had too little influence on the outcome.

Clearly the best man on the ground was Matt Panos, his clearance work around the middle of the ground during the first half set the game up for Norwood and in the final quarter he got some very important touches when it mattered most. Deserving medal winner.

So, 38,000 to the game and it seems many doomsdayers were also in attendance, good on you for all showing up. From what I saw on the road back from Melbourne on Sunday many Port people did as I did, got away early and back for the match at Adelaide Oval. ( Well, got there just before 1/4 time anyway ) Plenty on people were still getting tickets at or on 1/4 time.

In the end 2014 was a battle of the best defence against the best attack and as many astute judges say, premierships are built from the back half. Norwood also showed that process and structure are more important than personnel. People come and go, but if a sound structure and belief among the playing group that the structure will work exists, success will come.

Norwoods biggest test, however, comes with the loss of McGuinness. He's been the premier elder statesman in the back half for years in the SANFL, the 'Legs will struggle to replace him.

Well done to all that jumped on the bandwagon yesterday, it was certainly full to the brim!!

Congratulations Norwood. Back to back to back is a great feeling, I've been lucky enough to witness it twice in my lifetime.

Sporting post mate. McGuiness will be a massive out that's for sure. He 'sounded' impassable in that last quarter. You are right about process though, I believe that Centrals and Port before us did the same thing. I believe Centrals and Port's was the 'Fos' model of hard down the guts, power at the body, power at the ball, the Norwood 'Bassett' model of course is all about making it bloody hard to score. Seems to work well in the SANFL but that system can be broken down by teams with exceptional talent (Geelong, Hawthorn) so it doesn't appear to be as effective in the AFL.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby heater31 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:53 pm

dedja wrote:But you've got Hitchy now Boon

Surely he is out of contract this year :shock:

Then he can head back to Brighton Road ;)
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:53 pm

Dutchy wrote:Agree, but none are getting a kick!

efa ;)
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby topsywaldron » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:58 pm

Dutchy wrote: Butcher is contracted for 2015, we get another year of laughs out of him :lol:

A few areas of Port's self proclaimed football superiority were exposed yesterday and this just continues that theme.

Surely Burgo's world's best practice fitness program should also produce professional footballers who can run out a game better than part time amateurs?

Apparently not.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby am Bays » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:03 pm

Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
topsywaldron wrote:
Second Team wrote:Butcher used to make 300k a year and you are stuck in a dark room punching out 20 crap entries a day. I know who I feel sorry for. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Fixed that for you.

You should get to a game next year, the Bays have got shitloads of blokes to laugh at.

Would hate to lose to them then....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby Legs Man » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:07 pm

Who is Ports skills coach - or should I say who was Ports skills coach?
Legs Man
Under 16s

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Q. » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:11 pm

Got mixed feelings... Wondering if I'll regret boycotting every game in a three-peat season.

**** it, at least I'll have another t-shirt for the gym.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL