Tippett + Buddy = No flag

Talk on the national game

Tippett + Buddy = No flag

Postby Rik E Boy » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:16 pm

The Buddy deal is the biggest gamble I have seen in Football. A nine year, multi- million dollar contract only 12 months after sniffling Kurt Tippett. How many premierships do the Swans need to win with Buddy to earn a pass for this move?

Already they've had their COLA taken away. I reckon they lost a bit of respect as well, not that that would matter internally at the club. However, it appears that Hawthorns "all for one" culture has surpassed the Sydney culture which suddenly appears to be all about the coin. I reckon they've been too smart by half and that their bold move has revealed what a farce COLA is. It was never about cost of living, it was about taking on the NRL.

By preventing Buddy from becoming a giant they've bitten the hand that feeds it and if they can't win a flag in the next two or three seasons this rate up there with the sacking of Norm Smith and the Richmond rotating coaches of the eighties as one of the biggest **** ups in Football of all time.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Re: Tippett + Buddy = No flag

Postby dedja » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:24 pm

Tippett yes, Buddy no.

Buddy has had an awesome year, even by his own lofty standards.

Today he was in the Swans best 3, and that's after massive attention by the Hawks defenders.

He's also a consistent big game player.

Tippett is none of the above and just a very highly paid downhill skier.

Agree on the respect side, I suspect the Swans have lost that moral superiority they had always claimed on that front.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby Jim05 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:27 pm

dedja wrote:Tippett yes, Buddy no.

Today he was in the Swans best 3, and that's after massive attention by the Hawks defenders.

Agree on the respect side, I suspect the Swans have lost that moral superiority they had always claimed on that front.

Totally agree,
Buddy had a very good game today.
Tippett on the other hand was as useful as John Butcher, the highlights for me was Lake taking a speccy over Tippett and Cyril making him look stupid on a couple of occassions
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Rik E Boy » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:28 pm

It just seemed and still seems such an " all in" gamble by Sydney. There is no doubt that Franklin is a fine player who has had an excellent year. But if it only gets Sydney to the Granny it will be a lost bet.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:30 pm

Jim05 wrote:
dedja wrote:Tippett yes, Buddy no.

Totally agree,
Buddy had a very good game today.
Tippett on the other hand was as useful as John Butcher, the highlights for me was Lake taking a speccy over Tippett and Cyril making him look stupid on a couple of occassions

Tippett nowhere near the Swans worst which sums up the day really.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby dedja » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:31 pm

Maybe, but today's effort was predicated by many Swans going missing under the massive pressure from the Hawks.

Goodes should do the right thing and retire for a start.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby MW » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:41 pm

Tippett was no orphan today. They said the same thing after 3 rounds this year about Buddy...
I think todays result was purely based on Sydney having a walk over in their prelim and Hawks made to fight theirs to the end. Sydney went in obviously believing the bullsh1t and Hawks would of got a rocket for letting Port get so close at the end.

Remember what happened in 2007 when Port beat Geelong in the 2nd last minor round game, then won by a heap over North in their prelim whereas Geelong won in a nail biter against Collingwood...what happened in that GF?
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:58 am

Bloodsmoney.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:14 am

On one side they lost 3 of the first 4, ended up on top of the ladder and pumped a team in the Prelim. Making a Grand final is hard work, very hard work and on the day ( as we saw ) anything can happen.

On the other side there is no chance, none whatsoever that Franklin is playing in 8 years time. The club will miss out on recruiting other potential free agents. They'll lose quality youngsters because of it.

Anyone who thinks their "culture" won't suffer because of it is kidding themselves.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby stan » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:32 am

Booney wrote:On one side they lost 3 of the first 4, ended up on top of the ladder and pumped a team in the Prelim. Making a Grand final is hard work, very hard work and on the day ( as we saw ) anything can happen.

On the other side there is no chance, none whatsoever that Franklin is playing in 8 years time. The club will miss out on recruiting other potential free agents. They'll lose quality youngsters because of it.

Anyone who thinks their "culture" won't suffer because of it is kidding themselves.

Malcheski could be the first one out as he ua still not signed. But you are right I think they have an issue now going forward and keeping the young stars they have.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:56 am

Well they made their bed......
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Sorry Dude » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:08 am

stan wrote:
Booney wrote:On one side they lost 3 of the first 4, ended up on top of the ladder and pumped a team in the Prelim. Making a Grand final is hard work, very hard work and on the day ( as we saw ) anything can happen.

Malcheski could be the first one out as he ua still not signed. But you are right I think they have an issue now going forward and keeping the young stars they have.

But then on the other hand you have Mitchell turning down an offer from Carlton to stay with the Swans. Or is this purely for the fact that he knows there are going to be players leaving/ pushed this off season?
Sorry Dude
League - Top 5

Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 73 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:53 pm

if they win a single premiership in the next 8 years, would that be worth it? probably.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby stan » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:43 pm

Sorry Dude wrote:
stan wrote:

But then on the other hand you have Mitchell turning down an offer from Carlton to stay with the Swans. Or is this purely for the fact that he knows there are going to be players leaving/ pushed this off season?

Or may be he just doesn't want to go to Carlton...
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Armytank » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:44 pm

we had one good week in 4 and people are surprised we got pantsed in gthe GF?

We got beaten by Richmonf FFS, scraped over the line in a crappy game against Freo, had a week off then pumped the Kangaroos.

The two of them together have shown they are unstoppable when on, but we only really had 3 or 4 that could say they gave a decent performance Saturday.

It is not doom and gloom just yet.
I hate Full Back.....................
Armytank
Under 18s

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 21 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby Sorry Dude » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:47 pm

stan wrote:
Sorry Dude wrote:
stan wrote:

Or may be he just doesn't want to go to Carlton...

I was more talking from the swans culture suffering Stan. Not the fact he does/ doesn't want to go to Carlton.
Sorry Dude
League - Top 5

Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 73 times

Postby Grahaml » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:17 pm

They were hardly the reason the Swans lost. If anything having two such powerful forwards gave the Swans hope longer than most other sides. They got hammered in the midfield and that was the game right there. Perhaps you can argue that the money spent on one would have been better invested in a strong midfielder but I don't think there was anyone saying the Swans had a weakness there leading into the game. Sometimes you just have a bad game and sometimes that game just happens to be a grand final.

Now, whether in 7 years time Franklin is a distant memory and they have to pay him a massive chunk of the cap is the long term subplot. But who knows? I remember the same thing being said about Lynch when he signed with Brisbane. In the end he not only saw out the contract but the last 3 years of that deal brought flags.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:26 pm

Sydney's defence is their problem going forward and they will be hamstrung by the Buddy/Tippet deals in trying to address that. Obviously they will struggle to maintain some of their young midfield talent going forward too. IMO they now have probably no more than a 2yr window to win a flag.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby JK » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:27 pm

Grahaml wrote:They were hardly the reason the Swans lost. If anything having two such powerful forwards gave the Swans hope longer than most other sides. They got hammered in the midfield and that was the game right there. Perhaps you can argue that the money spent on one would have been better invested in a strong midfielder but I don't think there was anyone saying the Swans had a weakness there leading into the game. Sometimes you just have a bad game and sometimes that game just happens to be a grand final.

Now, whether in 7 years time Franklin is a distant memory and they have to pay him a massive chunk of the cap is the long term subplot. But who knows? I remember the same thing being said about Lynch when he signed with Brisbane. In the end he not only saw out the contract but the last 3 years of that deal brought flags.

Good post. Pre-game most people thought if anything the Swans might have had a slight midfield edge with players like JPK, Hannebery, Jack, McVeigh, Parker, McGlynn etc running through there, but they were just swamped by a rampant Hawks
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:42 pm

bennymacca wrote:if they win a single premiership in the next 8 years, would that be worth it? probably.

I'd be happy if my mob won 1 in 8 years. It won't happen of course but to see 1 in the next 8, I'd say any gamble that big would be worth it.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Next

Board index   Football  AFL