7%
Seaton Ramblers
5%
Salisbury West
4%

Total votes : 73

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 3 - 2015

Postby jo172 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:45 am

I hold the view it's about the kids rather than the Clubs. It should be about creating the best environment for children to play football rather than creating some kind of socialized environment to ensure some kind of equal arrangement amongst clubs
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1201 times
Been liked: 725 times

Postby Q. » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:11 am

jo172 wrote:I hold the view it's about the kids rather than the Clubs. It should be about creating the best environment for children to play football rather than creating some kind of socialized environment to ensure some kind of equal arrangement amongst clubs

At the end of the day it's the choice of a parent/child. If they want to be at a club with 937 junior teams then so be it.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Demon Juke » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:16 pm

Q. wrote:
jo172 wrote:I hold the view it's about the kids rather than the Clubs. It should be about creating the best environment for children to play football rather than creating some kind of socialized environment to ensure some kind of equal arrangement amongst clubs

At the end of the day it's the choice of a parent/child. If they want to be at a club with 937 junior teams then so be it.

Won't be much of a comp if only 4 clubs left with junior's.
Demon Juke
League - Best 21

Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 69 times

Postby turk186 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:27 pm

Demon Juke wrote:
Q. wrote:

Won't be much of a comp if only 4 clubs left with junior's.[/quote]

How true this observation could well be unless things change
Opinions and bumholes..you either have one or are one IMO
turk186
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 24 times
Grassroots Team: Greenacres

Postby Jetters » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:47 pm

Bluedemon wrote:
Jetters wrote:
jo172 wrote:It's naive to think clubs with multiple juniors teams don't deserve them. In my experience the junior programs at the bigger junior clubs (GG, TTG, Modbury etc.) offer kids a much better environment to learn, develop and enjoy football.

Just little things like having a white and red age group allowing kids to play at an appropriate skill level is great for kids.

That's ultimately what it should be about.

Nah that's a bit BS.

What you said is self fulfilling, big clubs can offer the best environment because they have the most players (resources, success etc).

You have to find a balance between encouraging clubs to provide great junior programs so they prosper and also allow competition.

I think NEJFA have this balance pretty far off

and let the other clubs with less of a junior program to fold their juniors??

all clubs should help out each other so that everyone can prosper

I think this is equally as 'wrong' as @jo172's post.

Everyone is not entitled to 'prosper', and clubs shouldn't really be required to help each other.

The rules should allow good programs to prosper, but also allow competition. Crappy programs should suffer.

It's a clubs' own responsibility to run a good program, not other clubs' responsibility to 'help'.

Needs to be a balance.
Jetters
Reserves

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 119 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby Jetters » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:53 pm

Of course it's about the kids.

If a parent 'knows' that one club will certainly have a team(s), but they are unsure whether the club down the road will, they will choose the club that they know will have a team and a spot for their child.

This becomes a self fulfilling cycle. They go to the bigger club not because they run a better program, but because it's a safer option.

More competition will force clubs to run better programs because they know if they don't players/parents will speak with their feet and move. If there's no/few other options big clubs can run mediocre programs to little of their own detriment.

Balance between allowing good programs to prosper and competition which will demand quality.
Jetters
Reserves

Postby jo172 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:58 am

Jetters wrote:

If a parent 'knows' that one club will certainly have a team(s), but they are unsure whether the club down the road will, they will choose the club that they know will have a team and a spot for their child.

This becomes a self fulfilling cycle. They go to the bigger club not because they run a better program, but because it's a safer option.

More competition will force clubs to run better programs because they know if they don't players/parents will speak with their feet and move. If there's no/few other options big clubs can run mediocre programs to little of their own detriment.

Balance between allowing good programs to prosper and competition which will demand quality.

@Jetters do you really believe there's no merit in allowing clubs to enter a side in a Red and White (A and B grade in reality) in the same age group?

Surely there's something to be said for allowing kids to play against their own ability group to allow them to do things like actually get a kick instead of just having the team's best 10 players do everything.

From my personal experience as a White Grade Coach I'm certain that I've had at least 10 boys become reasonable footballers who will continue it into adulthood. I'm certain that if those boys were thrown to the wolves by playing with team mates who were exceptionally more gifted than they are (which my observations of the Red Division is full of them) they would barely have gotten a kick in 3 years and would be lost to the game by now.

I should also add, Jetters, I assume you've not had an experience with a Red/White set up but watch from a far? The only problems we've had with the Red/White set up from a perspective of what matters (parents and kids) are the parents who are convinced that little Johnny's obvious AFL future is being compromised by a stint in Under 13 Whites.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Burras » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:16 am

Jetters wrote:

Jetters you are way off the mark here mate..

Why should a club like GG, who have spent the last 20 year building a "family" culture have to give up future senior players of the club becasue other clubs who are more senior driven have no juniors and start to whinge when they find themselves slipping down the grades.
Burras

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 21 times

Postby Jetters » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:08 pm

jo172 wrote:
Jetters wrote:

@Jetters do you really believe there's no merit in allowing clubs to enter a side in a Red and White (A and B grade in reality) in the same age group?

Surely there's something to be said for allowing kids to play against their own ability group to allow them to do things like actually get a kick instead of just having the team's best 10 players do everything.

From my personal experience as a White Grade Coach I'm certain that I've had at least 10 boys become reasonable footballers who will continue it into adulthood. I'm certain that if those boys were thrown to the wolves by playing with team mates who were exceptionally more gifted than they are (which my observations of the Red Division is full of them) they would barely have gotten a kick in 3 years and would be lost to the game by now.

I should also add, Jetters, I assume you've not had an experience with a Red/White set up but watch from a far? The only problems we've had with the Red/White set up from a perspective of what matters (parents and kids) are the parents who are convinced that little Johnny's obvious AFL future is being compromised by a stint in Under 13 Whites.

Kids playing against others of a more similar ability in theory is a positive. However, if you had more clubs to compete with, that talent would be spread over those extra clubs and the competition would be more even. You would also have more competitive games and a more interesting competition as there would be more teams involved
Jetters
Reserves

Postby Jetters » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:11 pm

Burras wrote:
Jetters wrote:

Jetters you are way off the mark here mate..

Why should a club like GG, who have spent the last 20 year building a "family" culture have to give up future senior players of the club becasue other clubs who are more senior driven have no juniors and start to whinge when they find themselves slipping down the grades.

What if a club like GG for example, introduced a bizarre policy to test their u10 footballers over a 1km time trials to see how they should be graded....just for example. A parent really has little choice whether they continue with this club or not because there are reasonable alternatives
Jetters
Reserves

Postby jo172 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:16 pm

Jetters wrote:
jo172 wrote:
Jetters wrote:

Kids playing against others of a more similar ability in theory is a positive. However, if you had more clubs to compete with, that talent would be spread over those extra clubs and the competition would be more even. You would also have more competitive games and a more interesting competition as there would be more teams involved

I disagree with the notion that the competition being more even is more important than the talent level on an individual rather than collective basing being even.

An even competition will result in the worst 6-8 players in each team doing sweet **** all while their more gifted team mates do everything and ending up growing disillusioned with the sport.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Jetters » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:18 pm

In our junior comp if we had similar rules Unley, Goodwood and Mitcham for example would have many teams in each grade, CLG and Glenunga wouldn't have any (more or less). Glenunga were late on the scene and have been able to develop their junior program and CLG used to run a poor junior program which has since been much improved program, now both clubs fill teams in nearly all grades, this would never have happened under your system.

Parents in the area have a genuine choice about which club their kids play for and clubs have to maintain a high standard otherwise players will move. It is also a much more enjoyable competition for the kids when they play against a number of different clubs vs the same few each week.

Our 2nd responsibility, after the kids, must be to football on the whole, this philosophy of developing as many strong clubs as possible will help ensure a sustainable future for our league and be for the betterment of football long term.
Jetters
Reserves

Postby Jetters » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:20 pm

Look at the two leagues when they play association games (even though your league is 3 times the size), look at the rate of kids drafted from the MSJFL, look at the number of clubs looking to move into the MSJFL and the rate of growth in the league. I think our approach is working.
Jetters
Reserves

Postby jo172 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:26 pm

This may be a difference betwen the two competitions that is affecting our differing overall views.

In the NEMJFA age group I was involved in last season between the Red and White Divisions there were 19 sides represented by 17 different clubs. I suspect the significantly larger pool of clubs makes this issue quite different for the NEMJFA relative to the MSJFL.

This also goes to show the paranoia of TTG, Golden Grove, Modbury and PNU just ending up playing each other is far from coming to fruition.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby jo172 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:28 pm

Jetters wrote:Look at the two leagues when they play association games (even though your league is 3 times the size), look at the rate of kids drafted from the MSJFL, look at the number of clubs looking to move into the MSJFL and the rate of growth in the league. I think our approach is working.

My understanding is that the NEMJFA does not pick kids in SANFL squads and limits each club to providing two players per age group for the association games. Does the MSJFL follow the same criteria?

As to the rate of kids drafted that's not what I perceive to be the overall aim of junior football. Kids being drafted is great icing on the cake, but not the primary aim.

No clubs are looking to move into the NEMJFA because they put a moratorium on it. From what I'm lead to believe it is already the largest junior football league in the country (or amongst them) so I'm not really sure if you would say it isn't "working".
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby jo172 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:31 pm

I would also suggest a better definition of working is which league is actually seeing kids go on with their footy. By my count only Goodwood and Unley & Mitcham sharing a team were able to get Under 18s up last year. Contrast this to PNU, TTG, Modbury, Gepps Cross, Golden Grove, Broadview, Ingle Farm, Salisbury, Hope Valley and Smithfield all being able to get Under 18s up from the NEMJFA.

EDIT - I am wrong, I didn't realise Flinders Park, Plympton and PHOS were in the Southern League.

I think my point still has some merit though.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:30 pm

Those club you mention aren't in the southern league
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3028 times
Been liked: 2404 times

Postby mighty hounds » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:24 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:Those club you mention aren't in the southern league

There in metro south juniors though
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 286 times

Postby G_Leonard » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:29 pm

Sorry to interrupt this debate, but has anyone heard how Seaton are looking?
Had heard about their mass exodus early in the summer, but I hear they've got a few recruits locked in.

I've heard:
Ali Vessali, a tall forward/ruckman most recently from Aldinga... one of their more handy players;
Sam Harvey, full forward most recently from Victor Harbour (I think), pretty handy, solid replacement for Loechel
Shane Harris, small forward/pinch hit in midfield most recently at Portland

Has anyone heard any others?
G_Leonard
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Sedan-Cambrai

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:05 pm

G_Leonard wrote:Sorry to interrupt this debate, but has anyone heard how Seaton are looking?
Had heard about their mass exodus early in the summer, but I hear they've got a few recruits locked in.

I've heard:
Ali Vessali, a tall forward/ruckman most recently from Aldinga... one of their more handy players;
Sam Harvey, full forward most recently from Victor Harbour (I think), pretty handy, solid replacement for Loechel
Shane Harris, small forward/pinch hit in midfield most recently at Portland

Has anyone heard any others?

http://www.news.com.au/sport/allergic-r ... 6886906355
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League