14%
Salisbury West
9%
St. Pauls
7%

Total votes : 56

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 7 - 2015

Postby morell » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:08 am

If BOG gets $200 every week, that's paying players.

It's a great way of paying players and I applaud it, but it's paying players.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby human_torpedo » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:10 am

Zartan wrote:
morell wrote:Mate, their coach detailed some of their payments in another thread! That and their ex coach plays for us!

zedman wrote:our emphasis this year was on putting money into awards rather than player payments..
BOG gets $200, 2nd gets $100 and 3rd gets $50 etc etc..

Woah woah slow down with the truth, ruins good stories

If paying players through awards and awards only, not just for rocking up, is what you consider 'paying players' then gee whiz mate, you need to get a grip
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:11 am

morell wrote:If BOG gets $200 every week, that's paying players.

It's a great way of paying players and I applaud it, but it's paying players.

yes but it's awarded to different people (theoretically) each week as a reward for playing well, it's an award/incentive - not a payment.

If it were a payment, the same people would be getting the same amount each week just for showing up.

*snap HT - great minds :lol: *
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby morell » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:15 am

Hahahaha and people say I am nit picky with language.

Whether you rock up and play and get a payment, or rock up and play well and get a payment, doesn't change the fact you're getting a payment! Ergo you're paying players. And there is nothing wrong with it, I am not being critical of anyone here.

The context of the discussion was when going from D7 to D6 the standard climbs dramatically, because you hit semi-professional clubs, like Lockleys and many others - replete with payment schemes, incentive schemes whatever the **** you want to call it - they have a football spend budget ... as opposed to complete kick and catch C Grade amateurs, where people PAY THE CLUB to play...

For more context our best on ground gets a meal voucher for the kitchen.
Last edited by morell on Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
morell
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:20 am

Don't worry morell, I get what you're saying.. sides above D7 have more finances to invest into football or rather prioritise their finances differently i.e. player payments, incentives/awards etc.

Sides in D7 are either financially not capable at the moment, or regularly are C Grade sides whose clubs prioritise those finances in their A grade (D1/D2)
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4003 times

Postby morell » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:21 am

Unbelievable that this discussion has even occurred to be honest.

"We don't pay players! It's an incentive scheme!"

Fair dinkum.
Last edited by morell on Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
morell
Coach

Postby human_torpedo » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:21 am

morell wrote:Hahahaha and people say I am nit picky with language.

Whether you rock up and play and get a payment, or rock up and play well and get a payment, doesn't change the fact you're getting a payment! Ergo you're paying players. And there is nothing wrong with it, I am not being critical of anyone here.

The context of the discussion was when going from D7 to D6 the standard climbs dramatically, because you hit semi-professional clubs, like Lockleys and many others - replete with payment schemes, incentive schemes whatever the **** you want to call it - they have a football spend budget ... as opposed to complete kick and catch C Grade amateurs, where people PAY THE CLUB to play...

And ours get a club drinks card and a $30 voucher for a pub who sponsor us.. Does that mean we pay players also?
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Postby human_torpedo » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:21 am

And ours get a club drinks card and a $30 voucher for a pub who sponsor us.. Does that mean we pay players also?
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:24 am

According the salary cap rules, that voucher is still classed as a payment, therefore you pay players too then ;)
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby morell » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:25 am

human_torpedo wrote:

Can those players take that drink card and and/or voucher and take it into Harvey Norman's and contribute to buying a Plasma TV? Can my employer start paying me with Woolies vouchers? If that voucher was given for just about any other service would it be taxable?

No? There's your answer. When you start giving players hundred of dollars a week, you're paying players, and you're head and above the vast majority of D7 teams. That's all my point was. End of!
morell
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:27 am

morell wrote:where people PAY THE CLUB to play...

This is where you are starting to lose me - I would suspect every club in D6 including Lockleys charge their players fees to play. Just because they give our financial incentives for awards doesn't mean players don't still need to pay the club.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby BZB27 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:28 am

I feel that if our club is lucky enough to come away with the flag on saturday that we have the right people in place to be very competetive in div 6. From what ive heard and seen the club has put the right people in place to take the club forward some 2-3 years ago. This year is also the first time both A's and B's will play on Grand Final day together and the club has never had so much depth and there will be at least 5-10 blokes unlucky to miss out on a game this week.
BZB27
League - Best 21

Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 173 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby The Bedge » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:30 am

morell wrote:No? There's your answer. When you start giving players hundred of dollars a week, you're paying players, and you're head and above the vast majority of D7 teams. That's all my point was. End of!

You're rewarding players - and not necessarily the same players each week, I think there is a big difference.

I've seen clubs where you get a base payment if you're selected in the A grade then incentives dependant on performance - that to me is paying players, but if old mate rolls up and has a blinder and gets recognised at the club with $100 instead of a meal voucher or sponsor voucher then I see that as just getting a reward for his good game.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby morell » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:32 am

Zartan wrote:

This is where you are starting to lose me - I would suspect every club in D6 including Lockleys charge their players fees to play. Just because they give our financial incentives for awards doesn't mean players don't still need to pay the club.

I was talking about C Grade kick and catch sides - which you don't get in D6.

I would assume that those clubs that offer performance based payments would take their subs off of them or insist on full payment first. Dunno, never been in the position where we've been able to offer that sort of cash. Which is ... my ... point.... :neutral:

It's like saying since I have KPI's and incentive based payments in my employment contract, that doesn't count as income?? Or because a pro athlete needs to win a tennis tournament he somehow doesn't get paid??

It's the stupidest most inane argument I've read on sa footy for a long time and I am staggered people are actually propagating it.
morell
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:34 am

FWIW Ingle Farm have not paid players this season - I believe a couple might've got some $$ last year - but not this year.. We give out sponsor vouchers, club meal vouchers and bar money for awards.

We are however fortunate to have a reasonable sized backing from past players and from sponsors, and some of that money has been utilised to cover the fees of our juniors stepping into seniors.

What I'm getting at, is you don't need to spend ridiculous amounts of money to be competitive, just need to find what's the best fit for your club and your members
The Bedge
Coach

Postby BZB27 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:35 am

morell wrote:
human_torpedo wrote:

Can those players take that drink card and and/or voucher and take it into Harvey Norman's and contribute to buying a Plasma TV? Can my employer start paying me with Woolies vouchers? If that voucher was given for just about any other service would it be taxable?

No? There's your answer. When you start giving players hundred of dollars a week, you're paying players, and you're head and above the vast majority of D7 teams. That's all my point was. End of!

Id say the only clubs that wouldnt of paid players this year in div 7 would of been Mitchell Pk as you say, Flinders and Adelaide Uni. All other clubs would be paying some sort of money not including best on's to a few players.
BZB27
League - Best 21

Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 173 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby human_torpedo » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:36 am

morell wrote:
Zartan wrote:

I would assume that those clubs that offer performance based payments would take their subs off of them or insist on full payment first. Dunno, never been in the position where we've been able to offer that sort of cash. Which is ... my ... point.... :neutral:

It's like saying since I have KPI's and incentive based payments in my employment contract, that doesn't count as income?? Or because a pro athlete needs to win a tennis tournament he somehow doesn't get paid??

It's the stupidest most inane argument I've read on sa footy for a long time and I am staggered people are actually propagating it.

Doesn't even scratch the surface of the infamous Insurance debate of 2015 - That will hold the all time record of ridiculous debate topic
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Postby morell » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:37 am

BZB27 wrote:I feel that if our club is lucky enough to come away with the flag on saturday that we have the right people in place to be very competetive in div 6. From what ive heard and seen the club has put the right people in place to take the club forward some 2-3 years ago. This year is also the first time both A's and B's will play on Grand Final day together and the club has never had so much depth and there will be at least 5-10 blokes unlucky to miss out on a game this week.
I think you will be competitive for one huge reason:

Your B Grade.

Massive depth at Houghton and that is what is so important in D6. When you cop injuries you can't rely on catching a C Grade side and still rolling them.
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:40 am

human_torpedo wrote:
morell wrote:
Zartan wrote:

Doesn't even scratch the surface of the infamous Insurance debate of 2015 - That will hold the all time record of ridiculous debate topic
That was one of my favourites! :lol:

the best bit was when the actual insurance professional came in and said - morell, you're right - after about 20 posts of sa footy posters having a crack.
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:41 am

BZB27 wrote:
morell wrote:
human_torpedo wrote:

Id say the only clubs that wouldnt of paid players this year in div 7 would of been Mitchell Pk as you say, Flinders and Adelaide Uni. All other clubs would be paying some sort of money not including best on's to a few players.
We paid a couple this year.

But my point was, in D7, traditionally the teams have been made up of 50% C Grade sides, which clearly do not offer payments, incentives, rewards, legal tender, cash, coins ...
morell
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League