Port Adelaide 2015

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2015

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:00 pm

Was more referring to his numbers compared to 2013 - he was down almost 25% in disposals per game, and clearly didn't have the impact he did in 2013. Not to say he had a bad year, far from it. Wines and Gray and a few others taking big strides forward probably made it look worse than it did too.

And I'm pretty sure I would go for the cheap shot once he had hit the ground :)
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:04 pm

No doubt the kid can play, but gee as a port supporter he would have to frustrate you somewhat?
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3030 times
Been liked: 2406 times

Postby the milky bar kid » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:09 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:No doubt the kid can play, but gee as a port supporter he would have to frustrate you somewhat?

Yes and no. If he was 25 & had a year like last I'd be more frustrated. However, he's 21 & last year was his first year as being a focal point for oppositions to stop. Probably received more defensive scrutiny than any other Port forward last year (even after Gray started going ballistic). The big key to his development will be if he is able to work thru increased attention. Hopefully an increased fitness base & midfield time will help him with this.
the milky bar kid
League - Best 21

Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 238 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:25 pm

the milky bar kid wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:No doubt the kid can play, but gee as a port supporter he would have to frustrate you somewhat?

Yes and no. If he was 25 & had a year like last I'd be more frustrated. However, he's 21 & last year was his first year as being a focal point for oppositions to stop. Probably received more defensive scrutiny than any other Port forward last year (even after Gray started going ballistic). The big key to his development will be if he is able to work thru increased attention. Hopefully an increased fitness base & midfield time will help him with this.

Which is why missing a month now can't be good for him
bennymacca
Coach

Postby the milky bar kid » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:26 pm

bennymacca wrote:
the milky bar kid wrote:

Yeah, but it must be better than nursing him week to week.
the milky bar kid
League - Best 21

Postby Footy Smart » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:41 pm

the milky bar kid wrote:

He also started getting a mid/tall defender rather than a small defender. Took his overhead marking out somewhat which was clearly a strength in 2013, so no doubt he will have to work through that, which im sure he is.
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby carey » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:39 pm

bennymacca wrote:
the milky bar kid wrote:

I think your missing the point Benny. Missing a month is not good for any player at any time of the year but the fact is, We would much prefer Chad to miss 4 weeks in January/February than 4 weeks in April/May.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2812 times
Been liked: 2999 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Port Adelaide 2015

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:41 pm

Reckon April may almost. Losing your fitness base now can put your whole season in the back foot. Which is not something he needs if he is to take they step up to elite territory. He was pretty much there in 2013 but went back a bit last year and I can see this hurting him a bit
bennymacca
Coach

Postby carey » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:00 pm

bennymacca wrote:Reckon April may almost. Losing your fitness base now can put your whole season in the back foot. Which is not something he needs if he is to take they step up to elite territory. He was pretty much there in 2013 but went back a bit last year and I can see this hurting him a bit

I think we'll agree to disagree on this one mate...... :D
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2812 times
Been liked: 2999 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby kickinit » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:08 pm

bennymacca wrote:Reckon April may almost. Losing your fitness base now can put your whole season in the back foot. Which is not something he needs if he is to take they step up to elite territory. He was pretty much there in 2013 but went back a bit last year and I can see this hurting him a bit

Won't even effect his fitness base come rd1. he's having 4 weeks off from a minor clean out and has 6 weeks to after that until round 1. If he lost his fitness base you have bigger problems then his clean out.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:29 am

Any port supporters concerned about Patrick Ryder and Monfries being suspended?
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:37 am

woodublieve12 wrote:Any port supporters concerned about Patrick Ryder and Monfries being suspended?

Worst case is they miss the first 2-3 rounds IMO.
May not miss any for awhile, plenty still saying this still has 2-3 years left to run
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3556 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby hawks21 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:01 am

Jim05 wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:Any port supporters concerned about Patrick Ryder and Monfries being suspended?

Worst case is they miss the first 2-3 rounds IMO.
May not miss any for awhile, plenty still saying this still has 2-3 years left to run

Think they might look to take deals to get this thing done and dusted so they can get on with the season. If it does drag into the season will they be able to play as arnt they technically suspended?
hawks21
Reserves

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby MW » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:28 am

I would be more worried about the injuries they are starting to get...Trengrove, Wingard, now Hartlett.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2633 times
Been liked: 1862 times

Postby David Brent » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:41 am

MW wrote:

I would be more worried about the injuries they are starting to get...Trengrove, Wingard, now Hartlett.

x2 only took 3 pre season injuries to derail Richmond last year in the first half of they year to key players like those above. Makes a huge difference to a clubs season. Granted that Port have more depth to cover injuries though..
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby Booney » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:01 am

David Brent wrote:
MW wrote:

x2 only took 3 pre season injuries to derail Richmond last year in the first half of they year to key players like those above. Makes a huge difference to a clubs season. Granted that Port have more depth to cover injuries though..

None of the injuries seem to serious, although Hartlett doing another hamstring we hoped was a thing of the past.

Trengove was unlucky by the sound of it and Wingard was one that could be managed or fixed, the decision was to fix it.

All of them should be back on the track in 4 weeks, meaning perhaps only 1 or 2 weeks on top of their current fitness levels prior to the season proper. Not perfect but hardly a disaster.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7517 times
Been liked: 10811 times

Postby the milky bar kid » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:07 am

Booney wrote:
David Brent wrote:x2 only took 3 pre season injuries to derail Richmond last year in the first half of they year to key players like those above. Makes a huge difference to a clubs season. Granted that Port have more depth to cover injuries though..

None of the injuries seem to serious, although Hartlett doing another hamstring we hoped was a thing of the past.

Trengove was unlucky by the sound of it and Wingard was one that could be managed or fixed, the decision was to fix it.

All of them should be back on the track in 4 weeks, meaning perhaps only 1 or 2 weeks on top of their current fitness levels prior to the season proper. Not perfect but hardly a disaster.

And Port is not like Richmond :-BD :-BD
the milky bar kid
League - Best 21

Postby valleys07 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:13 am

Booney wrote:
David Brent wrote:
MW wrote:

Exactly right.

Trengove has a proven track record of returning early from injury, and playing a significant role for us. He will be resuming running next week, and has a strong enough body to deal with the rigors of key position defending, not to mention he is a seasoned campaigner now having been in the system for 6 or so years.

Wingard will be fine. 4 weeks off with the knee wont effect him too much. He is likely to have spurts in the midfield this season, but 4 weeks off will hardly hamper his ability to perform his role within the side. Ken Hinkley knows Chad only needs 10 touches a game to influence the result, so his 2013 numbers possession wise will be a thing of the past until he gets more midfield minutes. 2-3 goals a game, 3 score involvements will be him playing his role in Ken's eyes (and mine too).

Hartlett concerns me. As Boon mentioned- soft tissue injuries were looking to be a thing of the past for him. He tweeted that there is nothing to worry about, but he cant afford to have lengthy periods on the sidelines this season, or be underdone, as he is an incredibly important link to our midfield in terms of long kicks to one on one contests.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1171 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby valleys07 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:36 pm

Amid reports Hammer had suffered a hamstring strain and would miss 3-4, PAFC have confirmed it was just a 'scare', and Hamish will resume running on Monday.

Great news!
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1171 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:50 am

this is certanily not port bashing but on the back of the advertiser it said something about port being a powerhouse. ZI'm not saying port won't be competitve this year and will certainly be around the mark but have port earned the name 'powerhouse'?

Again i'm certainly not having a crack at port. just interested to hear port supporters thoughts.
woodublieve12
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL