Port Adelaide 2015

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2015

Postby woodublieve12 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:07 pm

Tex sums it up nicely
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (104.17 KiB) Viewed 1262 times
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3028 times
Been liked: 2404 times

Postby Gozu » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:13 pm

Clarkson's got a long history of poor behaviour and being an AFL coach or suffering from a severe case of small-man syndrome shouldn't excuse that either.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby valleys07 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:02 am

Round 4 Review vs. Hawthorn- A Tale of Two Halves.

PAFC 15.9.99
HFC 13.13.91

Goals- Schulz 5, Ryder, Polec, Westhoff 2, Wingard, Young, Hartlett, Mitchell 1.

Teamwork, Mateship, Courage, Sacrifice. It’s the symbolism of everything that the ANZAC’s have stood for, for 100 years. Since 2008, when the Hawthorn football club undertook the treacherous Kokoda Track- it’s everything their playing group have stood for, barnstorming their way to 3 of the last 7 flags as a result. It was every characteristic Port Adelaide would need to put on the park on Saturday night and then some, to overcome this mighty football club- our task dealt a significant blow with the loss of Wines against North Melbourne, and then doubled with the late omission of Robbie Gray.

What transpired was an ANZAC clash that was one for the ages. A tale of 2 halves where the reigning champs were stunned, brutalised by an onslaught rarely witnessed in my time as a Port Adelaide supporter. Unfortunately- you simply cannot keep a champion team out of the contest, and you knew Hawthorn were always going to come back. That last 30 minutes of football was classic, a team able to will themselves back from the impossible, against a side exhibiting all the ANZAC traits just to hold on- clearly exhausted from the frenetic first half tempo.

That first quarter (well that first half, really), but THAT first quarter! I have said many times after the Elimination Final of 2014 that there is no way Port Adelaide could play a better quarter of footy- well last night we saw it. In 17 minutes Port had kicked 7 goals, 35 seconds quicker than the Elimination Final onslaught of 2014, and the first term saw Port accumulate 16 I50’s and kick 8.2, Hawthorn managed 13 I50’s and managed 1.2. Our stoppage work and clearance work was exceptional, both tap work and clearance. Our backline bold, brave and swift, and the forward line simply sublime! Port matching their record 1st quarter score against the Hawks of 8.2. The 2nd quarter was much of the same, Port piling on the goals to extend their lead out to 58 points. Polec instrumental as that link up midfielder, Ryder/Lobbe causing the Hawthorn back 6, as well as their midfield coaching group multiple headaches, with Boak, Wingard, Hartlett, Pittard and Krakouer winning plenty of the footy. Schulz on fire with 3 first half goals.

Then the tide turned. Hinkley mentioned post game that it is nearly impossible to sustain that level of intensity for four quarters, and it was evident for all and sundry that Port began to gas as the Hawks began their move. Our structures which had murdered Hawthorn through the midfield began to break down and it allowed the likes of Gibson, Smith, Hodge and Lewis to work their way into the contest and supply their forwards who had been starved of open space- Gunston and Rioli becoming dangerous. Still, 41 points up at 3 quarter time…the impossible couldn’t happen, right?
That last quarter was sphincter tightening stuff for Power fans. 30 minutes of footy that I just couldn’t bear to watch (proof was on the telly haha!). Hawthorn’s wall around a 60 meter arc from goal was impenetrable, and 5.4 to 0.1 with a final term I50 count of 28-5- I sit here in retrospect, unable to criticise my team. We were out of legs and managed to hold off the reigning premiers who were storming home like a steam train. Although I was pretty unhappy at the time, that result is massive!

Things that went right:
• The Lobbe/Ryder partnership. I have been salivating all summer at the thought of what this could offer our line-up. Whilst Power fans had to wait a little longer than hoped to see the partnership take the field- neither disappointed! Whilst we lost the hitout count 54-39, it was their work around the ground that was exceptional, and where McEvoy and Ceglar were put to the sword. Ryder was immediately sent forward to create havoc once Lake went down, and was in the play immediately with 2 strong marks, 1 goal and 1 GA. His presence was enough to bring Westhoff into the contest, and Schulz was back to his best with 1 defender to operate against. Lobbe is just epic around the contest, and virtually acts as a 4th midfielder. 21 hitouts and 8 tackles(!)- welcome to the new age Port Adelaide!
• Jay Schulz. I’ll stick with the impact of the aforementioned duo, as the impact on Schulz is there for all to see. Lake going down early certainly helped, but Schulz certainly benefits when having 1 defender to beat, not to mention supply like he had in the first quarter. 9 goals in 2 weeks- seems to have his radar back, which is extremely pleasing.
• No Wines, No Gray, No Worries. Boak, Ebert, Hartlett, Wingard, Young and Polec had massive jobs to ensure their absence at stoppages were barely felt- and to break even at centre clearance (15-13) and around the ground stoppage counts (31-27), was a huge effort, winning tackles 69-54 the highlight.

Things that went wrong:
• Our 2nd half. I would love the numbers on our differentials for the following stats so far this season in the 2nd half: clearances, I50’s, tackles and scoring shots. We have built ourselves on being a fast finishing, 4 quarter gut running side but at the moment I just don’t see it. Whilst we did work ourselves to complete exhaustion courtesy of that first half- we need to find an equilibrium where we can make the most of our periods of dominance, whilst limiting the scoreboard damage. Having the first but not the 2nd just won’t cut the mustard come September.
• The Clarko punch. Fair go- the “Port fan” is an absolute imbecile, but Clarko has to rise above that petty sh*t. Poor form from both parties and soured a pretty good night.

Player Reviews:

TOP 5:
Travis Boak- Loves the big stage, and with Wines and Gray out of the side- we needed a huge game from our skipper to be any hope. 30 touches, 8 clearances, 4 R50’s, 5I50’s and the Peter Badcoe Medal (2nd time he has won it I believe). The last term of last week needed to be the kickstarter to Boak’s season, and he was everywhere last night. A true captains performance.

Alipate Carlisle- Jarryd Roughead is a gun, and he has torn Port Adelaide a new ring multiple times over his career. I still have nightmares about his preliminary final effort last year, and Bobby’s effort on him last night was absolutely first rate. Shifted into the midfield to have some influence on the contest, for Bob to keep Roughy to 0.1 was an absolutely outstanding performance. Would not argue with many people’s call of BOG.

Hamish Hartlett- This bloke has had a massive fortnight, and is so influential to our side. 22 touches, 5 marks, 3 CL, 3 R50’s, 4 I50’s and a game high 9 tackles. It’s his work in close last night that gets him in my top 5- another that had to go over and above to compensate our losses and was brilliant in doing so. His skills were a joy to watch in that first half- that goal from the boundary would have blown the roof from AO if there was one (insert the AA Demetriou clip- “there will be no roof”).

Patrick Ryder- As mentioned earlier- we got our first glimpse of the new duo in action, and Ryder was just outstanding. Whilst not massive H/O numbers (21), he always seemed to find a black jumper when at stoppages. Took some great grabs up forward, bagged a few sausage rolls and left me so excited with what the season holds with these 2 in the side. 12 touches, 5 marks, 3 R50’s, 2 GA’s and 2 goals. Great all round game.

Jay Schulz- Back to his best now, and 5 goals was a great reward for effort. Works so hard to give us an option, but it’s really pleasing to see him finish off his work unlike the Sydney game. 5 goals from 6 kicks and 2 marks- not huge numbers but a massive influence on the contest, given it wasn’t a huge night for key forwards.

The Rest:
Brad Ebert- Port Adelaide’s leading disposal winner this season, had another typical reliable performance that we have come to expect of him this season. 25 touches, 5 clearances and 3 tackles. Wasn’t influential on the contest- just played his role in an outstanding midfield performance.

Aaron Young- Has really rubber stamped himself in this side, and there is no way he will play SANFL now. 25 touches, 5 clearances, 3 R50’s, 2 I50s and a goal. Was a little untidy with the footy, but he is so strong over the footy, and his ability to withstand the tackle and release to our outside run has been very impressive over the last 2 weeks.

Jasper Pittard- Has started this season exceptionally, and was brilliant both offensively and defensively last night. His decision making has improved out of sight, and defensively on Rioli was very good, until weight of I50s began to take it’s toll and Rioli got off the chain a little. 23 touches and 5 R50’s last night. An integral part of our back 6.

Chad Wingard- Spent a fair chunk of last night’s game in the midfield, and is simply a wizard around the stoppage. 21 touches, 6 clearances, 7 I50’s and a goal- it’s great to see him working into a bit of form, his ball use a delight to watch. Did pick up a corky after half time (which admittedly I missed)- hopefully he pulls up fine for the showdown.

Nathan Krakouer- Thought his first half was very good, but dropped away a fair bit in the 2nd half, making a few basic skill errors. Matched up on Puopolo in the first half before Puopolo went off injured- I thought it was an entertaining contest. Finished the night with 18 touches, 5 R50’s, 4 I50’s, but his D/E of 61% needs tidying up.

Matthew Broadbent- A fair drop on last weeks performance, seemed to find it tough to work up the ground and influence the contest inside 50. The pleasing thing about Port Adelaide’s defensive unit is that all of Pittard, Broadbent and Krakouer can’t be curtailed- so one or two are always bound to get off the leash. Still- 17 touches and 3 R50’s is far from a poor performance.

Jared Polec- Had an outstanding first half before being clamped down when Hawthorn got going. Was on the end of everything in that first half- including 2 goals. Finishing with 16 touches, 4 R50’s and 6 tackles- more of that plus what was showed against Fremantle thanks, Jared!

Kane Mitchell- His missed goal in the 3rd, followed up with a great tackle setting up the Schulz goal(?) summed up his night. 15 touches, 6 tackles, 2 I50’s and a goal- a serviceable performance. Offered us a lot around the contested footy I thought.

Jack Hombsch- Was a terrific battle with Gunston. Gave him an absolute bath in the first half before Gunston responded with 3 2nd half goals. Finished with 13 touches, 3 marks, 9 1% acts- was very good coming across as the spoil/intercept mark.

Justin Westhoff- The old Westy began to appear last night, I thought his last quarter dropping back and taking some pressure marks were critical given the amount of ball that was headed his way in the last term. 12 touches, 7 marks, 6 R50’s, 6 1% acts and 2 goals- a much better performance.

Kane Cornes- Had a hold of Boaky and Gus’ arse in the pre-game formailites, and wore Mitchell just as close for the first 3 quarters, before Mitchell really influenced the contest in the last. Mitchell finished with 18 with Cornes getting 12 himself, but Mitchell had 4 touches to half time! Still has a very important role in this side- Odds on to get the job on Sloane next week.

Matt White- Didn’t have the same impact as last week as far as scoreboard output is concerned, but I really enjoyed his workrate and endeavour. Just the 12 touches but managed 5 tackles and 4 I50’s, a gutsy performance.

Tom Jonas- Matched up on Breust for most of the evening- gave him a bath for the 1st half before Breust worked himself into the contest in the 2nd half. Another typical no-nonsense performance from Tommy- Should get Betts next week in the absence of Impey.

Angus Monfries- Limited output tonight, with just the 11 touches and 3 tackles.

Matthew Lobbe- Acts as a 4th midfielder in stoppage set-ups, his pressure simply outstanding last night. 17 H/O, 8 touches, 8 tackles and 4 1% acts- Just adds so much to the side as far as versatility and workrate is concerned. A lionhearted performance in his first game this year- I just can’t wait to watch what he and Paddy will produce throughout the year.

Brendon Ah Chee- Came on as the sub for the 2nd week running and did all he could in another pressure cooker scenario. 5 touches (4 contested) and a tackle. Will be better for the experience but expect him to make way for Gray.

Jackson Trengove- A bland stat sheet, but was rock solid defensively. 4 touches and 9 1% acts.

If you asked me at the beginning of the season, what I would have accepted at the end of Round 5, my answer would have always been 3-2. Showdowns are always massive contests, and are as 50/50 as you are likely to get in any game throughout the season. Thankfully- whilst we haven’t started the season all that well, we are still well in touch with the top sides, with points being taken from one another right across the board. Gray will replace Ah Chee (if fit) for the showdown- which I foresee being the only change for the Power. Expect a fired up Adelaide outfit after today’s embarrassment- put to the sword by the dogs in the contested stakes, underdone by losing the tackle count 71-52 and being outworked across the ground- something we haven’t seen of the crows so far this season.

This one previews to be an absolute ripper. See you at the footy!

Valleys.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1171 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby MW » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:08 am

What makes that port fan even more of an imbecile is he has filed a report with the police...but apparently he is a "nice guy" according to his friends :roll:
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2617 times
Been liked: 1855 times

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:21 am

In the first instance the peanut who provoked Clarkson was clearly in the wrong. Secondly, he clearly doesn't know that Clarkson has a fuse that is even shorter than him. It'd be like picking on Mike Tyson, why would you?

Provoking someone is wrong, belting someone is also wrong, far too often we read about the impact "One Punch" can have on a life, on the lives of many even. While this wasn't in that vain, nobody ever really knows what a blow will do to the victim. Anyway, the bloke who started it needs to come forward, apologise and we all move on.

Yes, Wedgie, the noise during the second quarter was immense, about as loud as I've experienced at a game of footy.

L?H, the club is trying to establish if the bloke is a member, if so he may well be banned from home matches. So, while at 4pm on the Sunday after you're all up in arms about "why no club comment, why has KT said nothing", it's because the club is taking the time to investigate the matter properly and not shoot from the hip with little to no information. You should know how to do that.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7501 times
Been liked: 10795 times

Postby JK » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:28 am

Booney wrote:In the first instance the peanut who provoked Clarkson was clearly in the wrong. Secondly, he clearly doesn't know that Clarkson has a fuse that is even shorter than him. It'd be like picking on Mike Tyson, why would you?

I dunno, the fact his mate was filming might suggest he did know of Clarksons short fuse. I agree pretty much with the sentiment of your post, I think the key aspect is whether Clarko shoved the bloke, or took a swing. The Hawks camp and media buddies seem to be pushing hard to sell the shove, and hopefully that was the case. If so, totally justified, nothing to see here, play on. If it was a swing, then Clarko should have been able to better restrain himself and be the bigger man (despite the tosser asking for it). As for KT, I thought he did speak about it briefly yesterday. Im not sure how much the club can do toward a member/supporter regarding their behaviour away from a footy venue. Hopefully it all blows over quickly, all parties learn a lesson, and Clarko can get back to worrying only about coaching.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4462 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Footy Smart » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:30 am

Booney wrote:In the first instance the peanut who provoked Clarkson was clearly in the wrong. Secondly, he clearly doesn't know that Clarkson has a fuse that is even shorter than him. It'd be like picking on Mike Tyson, why would you?

Provoking someone is wrong, belting someone is also wrong, far too often we read about the impact "One Punch" can have on a life, on the lives of many even. While this wasn't in that vain, nobody ever really knows what a blow will do to the victim. Anyway, the bloke who started it needs to come forward, apologise and we all move on.

Yes, Wedgie, the noise during the second quarter was immense, about as loud as I've experienced at a game of footy.

L?H, the club is trying to establish if the bloke is a member, if so he may well be banned from home matches. So, while at 4pm on the Sunday after you're all up in arms about "why no club comment, why has KT said nothing", it's because the club is taking the time to investigate the matter properly and not shoot from the hip with little to no information. You should know how to do that.

KT has said they dont believe the person to be a member, but their investigations are early on.
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby wristwatcher » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:56 pm

Footy Smart wrote:

KT has said they dont believe the person to be a member, but their investigations are early on.

The guys name is Luke and he barracks for North Melbourne. Sorry to burst the bubble of the Port haters.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Spargo » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:15 am

Typical North Melbourne scum.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5495 times
Been liked: 5136 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:52 am

Spargo wrote:Typical North Melbourne scum.

It's difficult, but we do our best to tolerate you, I mean, them. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:01 am

Looking at "Luke's" Facebook page and instagram account it'd be pretty safe to say he's a Port fan and even safer to say he's a dickhead.

People are making assumptions because his most recently "liked" club is North Melbourne but he's also liked Freo, Collingwood, Gold Coast and Adelaide as well as 4 Power pages. He has multiple pics up of Port triumphs but none of other clubs wins. Even was keen on a Port trial game earlier this year.

Looks like he plays for Hackham who wear brown and gold ironically!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2052 times
Been liked: 3899 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:17 am

Luke "who" ?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby TimmiesChin » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:23 am

Wedgie wrote:Looking at "Luke's" Facebook page and instagram account it'd be pretty safe to say he's a Port fan and even safer to say he's a dickhead.

People are making assumptions because his most recently "liked" club is North Melbourne but he's also liked Freo, Collingwood, Gold Coast and Adelaide as well as 4 Power pages. He has multiple pics up of Port triumphs but none of other clubs wins. Even was keen on a Port trial game earlier this year.

And if you look at his Instagram account he's also friends with a current Crows supp. list player and former Freo player who thought the whole thing was a good laugh.
The guys a drop kick.
TimmiesChin
Under 18s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby heater31 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:25 am

TimmiesChin wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Looking at "Luke's" Facebook page and instagram account it'd be pretty safe to say he's a Port fan and even safer to say he's a dickhead.

And if you look at his Instagram account he's also friends with a current Crows supp. list player and former Freo player who thought the whole thing was a good laugh.
The guys a drop kick.

So in short a cockhead from Hackham......
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby MW » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:30 am

Who gives a shit who he barracks for, he is a dick
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2617 times
Been liked: 1855 times

Postby stan » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:32 am

MW wrote:Who gives a shit who he barracks for, he is a dick

Agree with you there. Clearly a dickhead regardless of his team.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1254 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby stan » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:34 am

woodublieve12 wrote:Tex sums it up nicely

Yes and thats fair enough. But Clarko could of actually pushed him away and walked away from it. Instead he belted him.

Don't get me wrong the bloke had it coming but not sure he needed to dp that.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1254 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:38 am

stan wrote:

Yes and thats fair enough. But Clarko could of actually pushed him away and walked away from it. Instead he belted him.

hardly belted him...

Who are we to say how clarkey felt... He was under the pump and any other person would have done the same.

Same thing happened to Judd too,.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3028 times
Been liked: 2404 times

Postby TimmiesChin » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:45 am

heater31 wrote:So in short a cockhead from Hackham......

I reckon looking at his Facebook and instagram feed makes that pretty clear :)
TimmiesChin
Under 18s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby Footy Smart » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:46 am

woodublieve12 wrote:
stan wrote:

hardly belted him...

Who are we to say how clarkey felt... He was under the pump and any other person would have done the same.

Same thing happened to Judd too,.

Judd was very fortunate that the shop keeper stepped up and helped him out. That bloke should be congratulated.

As for belting him, the footage is inconclusive as to if he punched or pushed. Either way, the force was minimal but enough to get the bloke away from being 5cms from his face.
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL