Crows 2015

Talk on the national game

Re: Crows 2015

Postby Wedgie » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:57 pm

At the end of the day the opposite of a crow eater is a crow so no true South Australian could follow them.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:57 pm

MW wrote:What else can we find? Oh that's right, we are cheats again cause of the Talia brothers.

Yes. This is true. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Hefty » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:58 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:The Crows would have to be filthy on the timing of Patty leaving

They put in all the hard yards with his development, catered for him when he was first drafted by allowing him to stay back and study, they have got a squad that is verging on cracking the top 4 and Dangerfield is about to hit his prime, and then bang gone!!!

Considering they never made a gf or were a genuine premiership threat during his time at the club its hard to know whether his drafting has ultimately been a great success especially considering there were always question marks over how long he would stay in Adelaide

This is really going to set them backs few years imho

If you draft a kid out of their home state, you're going to have to expect them to go home eventually.

Jonathan Brown got drafted interstate as a 17yo and went on to win 3 flags for the ONE club. Travis Boak decided to stay at Port after Geelong went after him hard. I'm disappointed that he's leaving after we've built ourselves back into a finals team since 2012......wasn't his decisioned based on team success??? Hypocrite............
Attachments
Dangerfield.jpg
Dangerfield.jpg (41.9 KiB) Viewed 2257 times
Hefty
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 110 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby MW » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:58 pm

Got the feeling if it we're the other way, we would be whingers...
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby HH3 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:59 pm

I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:59 pm

^ He's good. 8)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby HH3 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:00 pm

Hefty wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:The Crows would have to be filthy on the timing of Patty leaving

They put in all the hard yards with his development, catered for him when he was first drafted by allowing him to stay back and study, they have got a squad that is verging on cracking the top 4 and Dangerfield is about to hit his prime, and then bang gone!!!

Considering they never made a gf or were a genuine premiership threat during his time at the club its hard to know whether his drafting has ultimately been a great success especially considering there were always question marks over how long he would stay in Adelaide

This is really going to set them backs few years imho

If you draft a kid out of their home state, you're going to have to expect them to go home eventually.

Jonathan Brown got drafted interstate as a 17yo and went on to win 3 flags for the ONE club. Travis Boak decided to stay at Port after Geelong went after him hard. I'm disappointed that he's leaving after we've built ourselves back into a finals team since 2012......wasn't his decisioned based on team success??? Hypocrite............

That was in response to Tippett going to Sydney instead of the Gold Coast.

Totally different
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Magellan » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:02 pm

JK wrote:
Corona Man wrote:Your "fans" or at least a good percentage of them is a large factor. For me it's the slogans - the team for all south Australians, and the team song - the pride of south Australia..... and worst of all.... admiration of the nation. Nothing like a bit of self proclamation!

Can you imagine any of the Melbourne clubs using "the team for all victorians" as their positioning statement?? Not likely!

Good points - Have often wondered how the Victorian or Western Australians in the group would feel about claiming to be the pride of a different state. The club feels plastic and purely corporaqte most of the time, although I will say they earnt a bit of respect for the way they rallied throughout the adversity they faced this year.

Spot on. IMHO the 'team for all South Australians' bit is a piece of clever marketing designed to attract fans who don't have or understand what it means to have a genuine or traditional footy allegiance (and by that, I mean those who never grew up pre-1991 following a 'local' SANFL team or are too young to know any better).

What it's saying is if you want to barrack for this club, all you have to do is live in SA (with over a million other people) and then you can identify as part of the club. It 's a very low bar that doesn't ask much of its new fans to get on board. The subtext is if you're a South Australian but don't support the Crows then there's something wrong. On the other hand, I think the suburban Vic clubs, and Port and Freo, who each represent a particular piece of turf and have a separate footy history, ask its fans to identify with that suburban area and its unique social fabric and identity. It's pretty easy to identify simply with an entire state.

This means that the Crows position themselves as an SA state side in a club-based comp. Most of their fans are too patriotic to the SA 'cause', the echoes of 'Kick-a Vic' from the 80s that you still see peddled in West End Draught adverts, and the club's appetite for slick marketing bullshit to realise there's a difference, particularly when for example on the weekend Hawthorn had more Victorians playing than the Crows.

In the end, their marketing approach has worked, so good on them for that, but it means that most of their fans are absolute pains in the arse.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby TEX07 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:04 pm

MW wrote:One man leaves and now our club song is crap, we have the worst supporters in the league judging from some poll that I have never seen and we won't win a flag for the next 10 years. Amazing.

I saw the poll somewhere on social media this morning. Im not able to check again now but my point is that we were voted the team most others love to hate and I seriously dont think that this has much to do with the actual club but more the supporters - just my opinion.
hola acabo de hacer que el yo se resuelve lo que este los medios en español
TEX07
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 49 times

Postby MW » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:05 pm

TEX07 wrote:
MW wrote:One man leaves and now our club song is crap, we have the worst supporters in the league judging from some poll that I have never seen and we won't win a flag for the next 10 years. Amazing.

I saw the poll somewhere on social media this morning. Im not able to check again now but my point is that we were voted the team most others love to hate and I seriously dont think that this has much to do with the actual club but more the supporters - just my opinion.

Oh dear lord
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Corona Man » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:06 pm

Magellan wrote:
JK wrote:
Corona Man wrote:Your "fans" or at least a good percentage of them is a large factor. For me it's the slogans - the team for all south Australians, and the team song - the pride of south Australia..... and worst of all.... admiration of the nation. Nothing like a bit of self proclamation!

Can you imagine any of the Melbourne clubs using "the team for all victorians" as their positioning statement?? Not likely!

Good points - Have often wondered how the Victorian or Western Australians in the group would feel about claiming to be the pride of a different state. The club feels plastic and purely corporaqte most of the time, although I will say they earnt a bit of respect for the way they rallied throughout the adversity they faced this year.

Spot on. IMHO the 'team for all South Australians' bit is a piece of clever marketing designed to attract fans who don't have or understand what it means to have a genuine or traditional footy allegiance (and by that, I mean those who never grew up pre-1991 following a 'local' SANFL team or are too young to know any better).

What it's saying is if you want to barrack for this club, all you have to do is live in SA (with over a million other people) and then you can identify as part of the club. It 's a very low bar that doesn't ask much of its new fans to get on board. The subtext is if you're a South Australian but don't support the Crows then there's something wrong. On the other hand, I think the suburban Vic clubs, and Port and Freo, who each represent a particular piece of turf and have a separate footy history, ask its fans to identify with that suburban area and its unique social fabric and identity. It's pretty easy to identify simply with an entire state.

This means that the Crows position themselves as an SA state side in a club-based comp. Most of their fans are too patriotic to the SA 'cause', the echoes of 'Kick-a Vic' from the 80s that you still see peddled in West End Draught adverts, and the club's appetite for slick marketing bullshit to realise there's a difference, particularly when for example on the weekend Hawthorn had more Victorians playing than the Crows.

In the end, their marketing approach has worked, so good on them for that, but it means that most of their fans are absolute pains in the arse.

Pretty good analysis mate.... mind you I had to get to the last line until I had a chuckle!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:06 pm

MW wrote:
TEX07 wrote:

Oh dear lord

Was it on a RBT location page?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:07 pm

Maybe we should add something about the premiership being a cakewalk
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Magellan » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:08 pm

Corona Man wrote:
Magellan wrote:
JK wrote:

Pretty good analysis mate.... mind you I had to get to the last line until I had a chuckle!

I had to lighten it up somehow. ;)
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:14 pm

Collingwood, Essendon Geelong port Adelaide all talk about winning some sort of premiership but a little by of admiration makes us arrogant? Turn it up :)
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Wedgie » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:15 pm

bennymacca wrote:Collingwood, Essendon Geelong port Adelaide all talk about winning some sort of premiership but a little by of admiration makes us arrogant? Turn it up :)

Could be even more unrealistic, apparantley when North Adelaide are down they fight, fight, fight! :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Corona Man » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:16 pm

bennymacca wrote:Collingwood, Essendon Geelong port Adelaide all talk about winning some sort of premiership but a little by of admiration makes us arrogant? Turn it up :)

Admiration of the NATION.... not just your fans... the entire nation.... turn it up B Mac!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby HH3 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:18 pm

I think the "Pride of South Australia" part thats arrogant. They just assume we all go for the Crows. There's probably more South Australians that go for Port or interstate teams than for the Crows.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby TEX07 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:19 pm

Wedgie wrote:

Could be even more unrealistic, apparantley when North Adelaide are down they fight, fight, fight! :lol:

Carlton are the team that never let you down.
hola acabo de hacer que el yo se resuelve lo que este los medios en español
TEX07
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 49 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:19 pm

Full marks to the Power though, at least they adhered to their song by stopping once they'd gone top.
Wedgie
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL