Crows 2015

Talk on the national game

Re: Crows 2015

Postby Magellan » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:40 pm

Here's a ripper from the news.com.au website. I suspect some adults might benefit from the advice too.

http://www.news.com.au/national/south-australia/child-psychologist-dr-michael-carr-gregg-tells-how-to-talk-to-children-about-patrick-dangerfield-leaving-the-adelaide-crows/story-fnii5yv4-1227540777047

Child psychologist Dr Michael Carr-Gregg tells how to talk to children about Patrick Dangerfield leaving the Adelaide Crows

IN thousands of Crows-mad families like mine, the Patrick Dangerfield conversation has been repeated constantly throughout the year.

Now that what so many of us expected has been confirmed, fans like my nine-year-old son will have to work out what to do with their number 32 guernseys.

For many children, he is a role model, both for on-field ability and off-field character.

Now he is walking out on their club to ply his competition-leading talents elsewhere.

Child psychologist Michael Carr-Gregg says Dangerfield’s defection is a valuable lesson for children in dealing with loss.

“The number one lesson any parent should teach their kids is if in life you can’t change something, you can always change the way you think about it,” said Dr Carr-Gregg.

“This isn’t going to be the first disappointment they’re going to have and it’s a relatively minor one.

“This is a really good example of how to deal with loss.”

Crows-supporting parents should talk about any feelings of sadness, because this helps validate and legitimise children’s similar feelings.

Dangerfield’s departure also helps teach children that even if they had wanted the star to stay, you can’t always get what you want.

Dr Carr-Gregg suggested parents say something like: “This is the best thing for Patrick. We can sit back and think about all the great memories and wonderful contribution he made to the club.

“We wish him the best as a person. He needs to do this for his own mental health and there’s no point in him staying if he’s unhappy.”

Dr Carr-Gregg, a Hawthorn supporter, is managing director of The Young and Well Co-operative Research Centre, established by the Federal Government.

Asked about the possibility of Crows fans booing Dangerfield upon his return to Adelaide Oval — likely when playing for Geelong — Dr Carr-Gregg said that would be “a sign of acute immaturity”.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Special One » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:42 pm

Suri wrote:Has Dangerfield actually nominated Geelong yet or just said that he's going back to Victoria? A few people in the social media world that players like Aish and Danger haven't nominated a club yet which means the club they want to go to are still in the finals. bit of a long bow to draw but a a nice way to get Hawthorn and North fans excited

Kane Richardson isn't taking the news well

Dangerfield will be at Geelong, Aish will at the crows via trade. I suspect the deal has already been agreed to.
Special One
Rookie

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Burr

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:25 pm

Seen a post from a mate on Adelaide Crows Pride on FB.

Their "Put Your Cats Out" post was pretty funny. I'd post it if I knew how to post pictures. Pathetic on my behalf I know.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 741 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby saintal » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:43 pm

Magellan wrote:Here's a ripper from the news.com.au website. I suspect some adults might benefit from the advice too.
”.[/i]

:lol: If only we had this level of journalism when I was a young lad and Plugga left St Kilda
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby locky801 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:44 pm

Special One wrote:
Suri wrote:Has Dangerfield actually nominated Geelong yet or just said that he's going back to Victoria? A few people in the social media world that players like Aish and Danger haven't nominated a club yet which means the club they want to go to are still in the finals. bit of a long bow to draw but a a nice way to get Hawthorn and North fans excited

Kane Richardson isn't taking the news well

Dangerfield will be at Geelong, Aish will at the crows via trade. I suspect the deal has already been agreed to.

Dont be so sure, dont think the Crows are going to lie down totally re this, some talk around that Dangerfield can go to Geelong if they hand over Bilcavs
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3704 times
Been liked: 1170 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:52 pm

Not a hope in hell
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby bennymacca » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:11 pm

360 reporting that campo won't put his hand up for the senior coaching job, both due to family commitments and on the back of Roo's comments last week.

They mentioned Scott burns and don Pyke as the two front runners.

Worsfold also officially putting his hand up for the Essendon job, so just a formality now
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby bennymacca » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:16 pm

Talia brothers saying it is nothing more than general footy conversation, robbo saying they should have come out today with a press conference rather than a players association statement.

Lol he is getting angry.

I tend to agree with him though, they should have come out.

Interesting to actually see the alleged details
bennymacca
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:17 pm

Gerard saying that the crows absolutely should use any info you get, and I agree with that too.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:36 pm

What was the rest of the deal last year where the Crows gave Geelong pick 10 in exchange for pick 14?
Maybe that was a down payment to ensure Geelong traded for paddy rather than took him as a free agent? It seemed a weird deal at the time.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby cracka » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:47 pm

daysofourlives wrote:What was the rest of the deal last year where the Crows gave Geelong pick 10 in exchange for pick 14?
Maybe that was a down payment to ensure Geelong traded for paddy rather than took him as a free agent? It seemed a weird deal at the time.

Interesting conspiracy theory, makes a lot of sense though. I'm starting to worry when we're thinking the same way lately. :D
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 461 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:56 pm

cracka wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:What was the rest of the deal last year where the Crows gave Geelong pick 10 in exchange for pick 14?

Interesting conspiracy theory, makes a lot of sense though. I'm starting to worry when we're thinking the same way lately. :D

My education of you is nearly complete then, There's a few other posters who could take a leaf out of your book. The sooner we all agree with me the better this forum will be ;)
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Dog_ger2 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:56 pm

bennymacca wrote:360 reporting that campo won't put his hand up for the senior coaching job, both due to family commitments and on the back of Roo's comments last week.

Worsfold also officially putting his hand up for the Essendon job, so just a formality now

Whats wrong with Campo...? :shock:

Lets not make too many more mistakes.

I judge someone as cool under pressure...

Give him a go... How many premierships have the crows won in the past 10 years...?
Dog_ger2
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 17 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury North

Postby bennymacca » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:00 pm

We upgraded our second pick from 40 something to 35.

That was all about the fact that we knew we could still get lever at 14, so having 10 was redundant.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:18 pm

Dog_ger2 wrote:
bennymacca wrote:360 reporting that campo won't put his hand up for the senior coaching job, both due to family commitments and on the back of Roo's comments last week.

Whats wrong with Campo...? :shock:

Lets not make too many more mistakes.

I judge someone as cool under pressure...

Give him a go... How many premierships have the crows won in the past 10 years...?

Apparently he still wants to stay on as an assistant. Hope he does.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:22 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
cracka wrote:

My education of you is nearly complete then, There's a few other posters who could take a leaf out of your book. The sooner we all agree with me the better this forum will be ;)

Our education would indeed reach your level if we took every leaf out of every book. ;)

Regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:24 pm

Bahahahaha
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:59 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
cracka wrote:

July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Dutchy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:02 pm

Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2324 times
Been liked: 3499 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:24 pm

Corona Man wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Wow some of you blokes think Crows fans are precious. Last time I checked words to a song didn't win you games of football.

Thanks for your efforts Dangerfield, it has been great having you at the club. Two early draft picks might produce two players as good as him

Not all crows fans are precious, but a lot are. Considering people stil cry about Tippett suggest that

Most of the people crying about Tippett nowdays are Swans fans tho!

Unsure a 50 goal season and career best form is something to cry about. Been very good this year
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2401 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL