Talk on the national game

Re: Crows 2015

Postby whufc » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:58 pm

HH3 wrote:
whufc wrote:
Booney wrote:
HH3 wrote:
No they won't.

The salary cap would negate the top teams stockpiling players. The only way that could happen is if they all agree to take pay cuts to all play in one team.
What is seen in the NFL, is players chase the money. So teams that may not have a good roster, hence have room under the salary cap, can offer the big bucks.
You would see Melbourne chasing players, without the burden of having to trade picks with a team that the player isnt even contracted to.

Which is exactly how Hawthorn have got Lake, Frawley etc to come into already successful teams.

Sydney with Franklin and Tippett, they've still signed Hannebery to a long term deal, why? Happy to take a pay cut to play in a strong team.

**** the NFL and it's systems. Completely different market, completely different sportsmen, **** me, the ego on some of those wankers over there.

Unfortunatly one of Andy D's legacies is that most things he did was copied straight from the NFL

That looks as if it still continuing

If it happened in the NFL 5 years ago it's no far from coming into the AFL soon

Which part of the current AFL FA system resembles the NFL?

I'm talking about how the actual competition runs not necessarily the ins and outs of free agency and its all American sports in general they follow

-draft
-trade period
-fixturing (blockbuster games, playing certain teams more than once etc)
-priority picks
-free agency
-branding like (Friday night footy all 'Monday night football')
-half time show in GF
-video replays
-trying to introduce white 'away' shirts for all sides
Last edited by whufc on Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Dutchy » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:00 pm

The Crows have to play hardball with Paddy and Geelong, they are already known as a club where players leave easily and if they fold on this one then it won't stop, the clubs will continue to go hard at any decent talent on the Crows list.

I don't like the Crows but I really hope they make a strong stand here otherwise they are shot as an organisation, even if it means getting nothing for Paddy they will benefit in the long term.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2324 times
Been liked: 3502 times

Postby whufc » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:01 pm

Dutchy wrote:The Crows have to play hardball with Paddy and Geelong, they are already known as a club where players leave easily and if they fold on this one then it won't stop, the clubs will continue to go hard at any decent talent on the Crows list.

I don't like the Crows but I really hope they make a strong stand here otherwise they are shot as an organisation, even if it means getting nothing for Paddy they will benefit in the long term.

Agree
whufc
Coach

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:03 pm

What if the Crows got that info and it was bogus? You can't base your entire plan around that. Even if it was on paper. It hardly helped, the dogs jumped the gun and coughed up 4 goals from their first defensive inside 50's. Again I can't see how this is worse than having a club spy attend a closed training session and this continuously gets ignored by the league.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 741 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby whufc » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:06 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:What if the Crows got that info and it was bogus? You can't base your entire plan around that. Even if it was on paper. It hardly helped, the dogs jumped the gun and coughed up 4 goals from their first defensive inside 50's. Again I can't see how this is worse than having a club spy attend a closed training session and this continuously gets ignored by the league.

So u wouldn't be to upset if you found out Danger knowing he was leaving the Crows gave Geelong a bunch of inside information on the Crows players before the last minor round game of the year
whufc
Coach

Postby HH3 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:06 pm

whufc wrote:
-draft - Functions differently, with compensation picks, etc
-trade period - NFL trade period extends through to week 6 of the season. Functions differently.
-fixturing (blockbuster games, playing certain teams more than once etc) - AFL fixtures are supposed to be altered to make a fairer season. NFL fixturing is Division based, because they can't possibly play 31 other teams in a season, but they still want rivalries. Different.
-priority picks - NFL run supplement drafts for new teams seperately. Different.
-free agency - Runs totally differently. Uncontracted players can approach any team with no compo going back to their former side. Cut players are put on waivers for other teams to sign. If they clear waivers, the original team can put them on the practice squad. Different.
-branding like (Friday night footy all 'Monday night football') - Friday night footy has been around a while if im not mistaken.
-half time show in GF - Not a bad inclusion if pulled off well.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby HH3 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:10 pm

If everyones happy with the current system, I'll just be quiet.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:11 pm

Like I said the AFL has taken and adapted all those systems in American sports, none are original concepts or ideas
whufc
Coach

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:13 pm

whufc wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:What if the Crows got that info and it was bogus? You can't base your entire plan around that. Even if it was on paper. It hardly helped, the dogs jumped the gun and coughed up 4 goals from their first defensive inside 50's. Again I can't see how this is worse than having a club spy attend a closed training session and this continuously gets ignored by the league.

So u wouldn't be to upset if you found out Danger knowing he was leaving the Crows gave Geelong a bunch of inside information on the Crows players before the last minor round game of the year

Well I've played enough footy to know if I had as many scoring shots and KPI's in my favour and still lost then I probably should look us first.

To answer your question? Hmmm Would you trade a bloke to your club who leaks confidential information? There is a trust issue immediately if true.
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Postby Lance's brother » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:14 pm

whufc wrote:
Dutchy wrote:The Crows have to play hardball with Paddy and Geelong, they are already known as a club where players leave easily and if they fold on this one then it won't stop, the clubs will continue to go hard at any decent talent on the Crows list.

Agree

The entire league needs a club to take a stand and hold a player to a RFA contract. Adelaide may be the first but won't be the last.

Otherwise RFA is pointless.

And that he might then go to the draft and still get to Geelong? Well a club needs to stand up and take a player there too.

Otherwise all these league mechanisms are pointless.
Lance's brother
Under 18s

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Westminster OS

Postby HH3 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:18 pm

whufc wrote:Like I said the AFL has taken and adapted all those systems in American sports, none are original concepts or ideas

Never said they invented them.

They should actually run them the same, or similar. Not just change it to suit them, and create the most bureaucratic, confusing, unnecessary system in world sports.

This situation should work like this.

Crows offer him an extenstion > Danger declines offer > Contract expires > Danger is a FA > Dangers agent finds out where he wants to go and negotiates with that club > A contract is offered > He signs it > The end.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:20 pm

HH3 wrote:
whufc wrote:Like I said the AFL has taken and adapted all those systems in American sports, none are original concepts or ideas

They should actually run them the same, or similar. Not just change it to suit them, and create the most bureaucratic, confusing, unnecessary system in world sports.

Crows offer him an extenstion > Danger declines offer > Contract expires > Danger is a FA > Dangers agent finds out where he wants to go and negotiates with that club > A contract is offered > He signs it > The end.[/quote]

Amen!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1279 times
Been liked: 3488 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby whufc » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:22 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:
whufc wrote:

Well I've played enough footy to know if I had as many scoring shots and KPI's in my favour and still lost then I probably should look us first.

To answer your question? Hmmm Would you trade a bloke to your club who leaks confidential information? There is a trust issue immediately if true.

I agree it would have had very little to know effect on the result but in a game which ends by less than a goal it would be very easy to see how a club could be upset about this practice

I don't think the AFL would be overly happy to hear disgruntled players are giving other clubs information while still being on the clubs list especially if it came out a club was sourcing that information from disgruntled players knowing they will spill. The AFL will want to nip this in the bud asap before it leads to a bigger issue
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:23 pm

HH3 wrote:

Crows offer him an extenstion > Danger declines offer > Contract expires > Danger is a FA > Dangers agent finds out where he wants to go and negotiates with that club > A contract is offered > He signs it > The end.

I actually agree with you, and I think the AFL will bring in a system similar to what you have suggested in the near future.
whufc
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:24 pm

HH3 wrote:
whufc wrote:
-trade period - NFL trade period extends through to week 6 of the season. Functions differently.
-fixturing (blockbuster games, playing certain teams more than once etc) - AFL fixtures are supposed to be altered to make a fairer season. NFL fixturing is Division based, because they can't possibly play 31 other teams in a season, but they still want rivalries. Different.
-priority picks - NFL run supplement drafts for new teams seperately. Different.
-free agency - Runs totally differently. Uncontracted players can approach any team with no compo going back to their former side. Cut players are put on waivers for other teams to sign. If they clear waivers, the original team can put them on the practice squad. Different.
-branding like (Friday night footy all 'Monday night football') - Friday night footy has been around a while if im not mistaken.

Other than that, very similar. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

Postby whufc » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:27 pm

Booney wrote:
HH3 wrote:
whufc wrote:

Other than that, very similar. :lol:

Same concept and all have came in after the American had created the concept
whufc
Coach

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:32 pm

whufc wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:
whufc wrote:

I agree it would have had very little to know effect on the result but in a game which ends by less than a goal it would be very easy to see how a club could be upset about this practice

I don't think the AFL would be overly happy to hear disgruntled players are giving other clubs information while still being on the clubs list especially if it came out a club was sourcing that information from disgruntled players knowing they will spill. The AFL will want to nip this in the bud asap before it leads to a bigger issue

But unless blokes are using this information for betting purposes then what is the issue? You believe what you want to believe. If you base your plans around this then you are playing with fire. Stringer **** his hamstring inside the first 10 minutes, decides to play the game out and now it's the Crows inside information on him. Please......
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:38 pm

No one has said its the reason the crows won

Surely you could see if it wasn't the crows why this could be a potential issue and the dangers this kind of practise could lead to

Every single AFL coach says that every club is looking for than 1% advantage over their opponents, if this kind of practice went unpunished by the AFL whether its just the player who is punished or the whole club it could easily lead to clubs trying to 'buy' info or more serious info being given such as unknown player injuries etc etc

I don't think any sporting body in the world would knowingly allow this practise to go ahead unpunished.
Last edited by whufc on Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
whufc
Coach

Postby Spargo » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:38 pm

#wefleeasone
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5485 times
Been liked: 5124 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby bennymacca » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:47 pm

whufc wrote:

if course I would be upset, but i wouldnt blame Geelong if they used this information, I would blame Danger.

Unless the crows specifically asked M Talia to spy for them i fail to see how this anything at all to do with the crows
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL