Crows 2015

Talk on the national game

Crows 2015

Postby bennymacca » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:01 am

Ok, after seeing the decent discussion in the port thread i thought i would also have a crack at naming a best 22 for the crows

F Podsiadly Jenkins Betts
HF Grigg Walker Lynch
C Douglas Dangerfield B Crouch
HB MacKay Shaw Smith
B Jaensch Talia Cheaney
R Jacobs Thompson Sloane
I Van Berlo Wright M Crouch Cameron
Emg: Kerridge Laird Henderson Martin Lyons Brown, Draftees

Others
Lowden Hartigan Reilly Otten Siggins Atkins Ellis Yolmen Knight

Forward Line
Once again i think our forward line will be a handful for opposition teams. In 2014 we had the third best attack in the league, led by Betts, Jenkins, Walker and Podsiadly, who kicked 151 goals between them. Walker should be better for the run last season, and should push up close to his 2012 season where he kicked 63 goals from 19 games. We also only got 8 games out of Lynch, who should be good for around 30 goals if he doesn't get injured.

Best Case - walker returns to his very best and pushes for the coleman medal. Jenkins and betts both get close to 50 goals each again, and we get a full season out of Podsiadly and lynch. Cameron becomes a regular first 22 player.

Worse Case - Walker and Lynch find ways to get injured again, and we are forced to rely on Jenkins and Pods for the key positions. Betts drops off from last year, cameron goes missing.

Midfield: Our core group of Dangerfield, Sloane, Thomson, Douglas, B Crouch is up there with any going around, and are the attacking drive that gives our forwards a good opportunity. With the exception of Thompson and crouch, disposal is still an issue. What we really need is a quality speedy midfielder with a penetrating kick. maybe brodie smith can push up and play a little more in the midfield? though taking an all australian away from his usual position could be dangerous. Van Berlo needs to come back and be the first choice tagger, something we haven't really had for years and it has hurt us on countless occasions. Although Sanderson didn't really think a tagger was worth it, i highly doubt walsh will be the same, and VB, Kerridge or Wright will become our tagger.

Best Case:
The crouch brothers and grigg rapidly improve and become part of the regular midfield mix, taking the pressure off thompson and douglas, and allowing both of them to play half forward more often. lyons, laird and kerridge push for a spot in the midfield too

Worst Case: Dangerfield announces he is going to leave, Thompson breaks down, and VB fails to effectively tag the best opposition midfielders, and we continually get cut apart like what happened at times last year.

Backline:
Our backline leaked a lot last year, particularly when teams had more than one threat. Talia is as good as any key defender in the comp, and was rewarded with all australian selection, but it is our second and third talls that are really suspect. With otten or henderson playing as the third tall we were continually exposed as teams would push that player to full forward and routinely win the one on ones. Cheney coming into the side should help out with this, but if he is forced to play undersized against bigger opponents i am really worried. The second Key tall is left to Shaw and Hartigan, which i am also really worried about. Shaw has shown some promise but is also very injury prone, and the jury is still out on whether both he and hartigan are good enough for afl football. Our half backs look ok, with Brodie smith pushing up into elite territory, and the only player at the club that can break lines with his run and carry, and penetrating kick. Jaensch took a step forward but too often kicks short, even though he has a great leg. needs to penetrate more.

Best Case: we snag Sam Durdin or Hugh Goddard with our first pick in the draft, and they play regular first team footy, with shaw staying on the park and improving to become a reliable second/third key defender, meaning cheaney doesn't play.

Worst Case
Talia gets injured and as a result we leak goals like a sieve. We miss out on a key defender in the draft, shaw gets injured, and cheaney and hartigan both fail.

Rucks:
Another area where depth is severely lacking. Jacobs is among the best in the AFL, but we have diddly squat after that. Lowden doesn't seem like a bad pickup, but i still don't think he can be relied on to play a lot of games. I think we should be looking to get a project ruckman late in the draft too.

Best Case: Jacobs stays fit as it did in 2014 and finally gets that All Australian selection he has arguably deserved for the past two years.
Worst Case: Jacobs goes down for a significant period of time and we are right royally screwed. Along with talia, he is our most important player and one we just can't afford to lose.

Depth:
Our depth has always been an issue at the crows, and i think there are numerous players that just don't seem up to AFL football. Siggins Atkins Ellis Yolmen and Knight just don't even look like getting a game in 2015, and that is a real problem. Players 23-28 aren't much better. Kerridge Laird Henderson Martin Lyons and Brown all have significant weaknesses in their game, and will have to start becoming regular contributors in their own right if the crows are going to improve. The draft sanctions have really hurt us in this area, as there should be four more draftees in this group pushing for a spot that just aren't there. that is the only reason players like CEY are still on our list and that is hurting us.

Best Case: we draft well with our first two picks, and they both play regular footy in 2015. Kerridge, Laird, Lyons and Brown all take a step forward in their development. Siggins, Atkins, CEY and Knight push for AFL selection.

Worst Case: significant injuries to our best midfielders leave massive holes that our depth just can't replace. the bottom 5 on our list don't develop and all get delisted next year in a rebuild.

Overall:
I think the crows will develop a harder edge under our new coach, particularly defensively in the midfield, and i think this will mean we should win a few more of those games we just should have won this year.

Best Case: Jacobs, Talia and Walker all stay on the park. The forward line becomes the most dangerous in the competition, Sam Shaw and Sam Durdin step up in defence, and Grigg, M Crouch and Kerridge become a permanent part of the midfield rotation. Dangerfield signs on and has a career best year and pushes for the brownlow. We push for a top four spot but finish 5th, and win a final.

Worst Case: Tex does his knee, Talia gets injured, and Dangerfield leaves. Pressure increases on the crows from the media, and we fail in plenty of games we should have won, just like in 2014. We run out of steam in the back half of the season and finish 12th.

Most Likely: It may be because i am a crows supporter, and generally an optimistic person in general, but i think the crows really were better than what they showed in 2014. Maybe similar to North Melbourne in 2013 - just lacked that extra 5 percent that won them the close games. I think we should improve under Phil Walsh, and make the finals, but realistically top 4 is not on the horizon. I think a pass mark will be to make the finals, 7-8 seems likely, and if we win a final that should be regarded as a good season.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Re: Crows 2015

Postby carey » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:21 pm

Tex shouldn't leave your forward 50. That's were his most dangerous why wouldn't they leave him there? Just him and Betts in the forward 50.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Booney » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:24 pm

The problem, as you well identified benny :

HB MacKay Shaw Smith
B Jaensch Talia Cheaney

If these 4 start in your 18 in defence, you're buggered. McKay and Jaensch are suspect against the small/mids like Bruest, Monfries, and the like who can mark above head and play small/tall.

Shaw had a lump of bone/calcification taken out of his hamstring recently, yes? If so, he's behind the pack already. Hartigan and Cheney are in front of him if thats the case.

Jacobs again is flying solo and I'd be amazed if the big ranga went a third season injury free.

The other big question mark, Thompson. I think you'll see Thompson struggle in 2015. His hamstrings literally held him back towards the end of 2014 and the game is only getting faster with Hawthorn, Port, Sydney and the Gold Coast set to run, run, run in both directions. I don't believe Thompson is up to that and expect a fleet footed kid to push him out. I'm not sure who, but someone will. With Dangerfield, Sloane and Douglas all "go and get it" players the outside run will be more important.

Adelaide does, IMO, posses one of the most potent forward lines in the competiton, but I cant see room for Walker, Podsiadly, Jenkins, Lynch, Shaw/Hartigan, Talia, Jacobs, Cheney in the one side. I think Podsiadly will be the casualty and play more SANFL than AFL in 2015.

Jenkins and Walker I50 with Lynch the link man.

I'm surprised the love for Cameron at this point, I still think he has much to prove and much like Jake Neade at Port, the best team on the park might just keep him out the side. I think Henderson in the side would be my choice ahead of Cameron. Henderson plays that small/mid pretty well at both ends. I'd have him for flexibility.

Very good summary though.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby bennymacca » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:28 pm

carey wrote:Tex shouldn't leave your forward 50. That's were his most dangerous why wouldn't they leave him there? Just him and Betts in the forward 50.

he is surprisingly mobile for a big bloke - the fact that he usually plays further up the ground than jenkins, even though jenkins is one of the quicker big blokes in the comp, is testament to this. but i agree, every opportunity should be given to tex to kick a bag, because he and betts are our real weapons up there.

Booney wrote:If these 4 start in your 18 in defence, you're buggered. McKay and Jaensch are suspect against the small/mids like Bruest, Monfries, and the like who can mark above head and play small/tall.

yeah, i really don't like our defence tbh. brown played ok as the lockdown defender but just didnt do enough attacking imo.

Booney wrote:Jacobs again is flying solo and I'd be amazed if the big ranga went a third season injury free.

fingers and toes crossed

Booney wrote:The other big question mark, Thompson. I think you'll see Thompson struggle in 2015. His hamstrings literally held him back towards the end of 2014 and the game is only getting faster with Hawthorn, Port, Sydney and the Gold Coast set to run, run, run in both directions. I don't believe Thompson is up to that and expect a fleet footed kid to push him out. I'm not sure who, but someone will. With Dangerfield, Sloane and Douglas all "go and get it" players the outside run will be more important.

hopefully matty crouch steps up and plays a lot through the mids, allowing thompson to play forward a lot. given his strength overhead i think he could kick 20+ goals for us.

Booney wrote:I'm surprised the love for Cameron at this point, I still think he has much to prove and much like Jake Neade at Port, the best team on the park might just keep him out the side. I think Henderson in the side would be my choice ahead of Cameron. Henderson plays that small/mid pretty well at both ends. I'd have him for flexibility.

agree to a certain extent in that he has a lot to prove, but in a couple of games he just lit up - a couple of times when he picked up the ball at full pace he looked like a young mcleod. obviously a ton of improvement needed but i think he is worth it.

henderson i think is an issue playing back because teams just push him to the goal square and he isn't good enough one on one. i think if he can play on the wing and be a link man, he will be in our best 22
bennymacca
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:15 pm

Good summary Benny.

Your forward line doesn't need Pods IMO.

F: CameronWalker Betts
HF: Lynch Jenkins Grigg

This would be my ideal forward line for Adelaide. I think Cameron at this stage is worth persisting with. People only have to watch Cyril in the 2014 GF to know that a small forward isn't all about the goals. Breust/Gunston/Roughy did the scoring for the Hawks on the big day, but Cyril's presence was enough to strike indecision within Sydney's back 6. Cameron only needs to finish with 20, but his defensive pressure will be worth another 20 goals if he can further improve the defensive side of his game. You dont get the nickname Jets for nothing.

Thommo needs to go. Useless in the midfield against teams with 2 way midfields- your Hawthorn's/Sydney's/Port's. These will be the teams that you need to beat to launch into premiership contention. If Thommo gets exposed by Priddis (brownlow medallist yes, but not renown for exposing opponents offensively), then I think its worth working with M.Crouch. I cant see Thommo working well in the F50 either- any goals he gets will be negated by the D50 clearances of his opponent.

Your backline is suspect- but we know that heading into the season. Talia is a gun, but he is a stopper and that is it. With the expected release of Smith into your midfield (must have move), then it weakens an already fragile back 6. Hartigan will be the front runner for the 2nd tall defender over Shaw (due to the injury Boon eluded to earlier). The crows will be desperate for a tall defender in the draft. Nab Goddard or Durdin and you look stronger in defence, but Peter Wright may very well be on your radar to give Jacobs a chop out. Wouldnt be surprised to see Pods go back for teams that have tall forward lines, but will be a match-up selection only.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby bennymacca » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:28 pm

I thought wright would be going top 10 for sure. would be interesting if he is there and goddard or durdin are also there.

interesting point about pods. yeah i think he could definitely play back, as can jenkins if needed. but i don't like either of them there long term.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:45 pm

bennymacca wrote:I thought wright would be going top 10 for sure. would be interesting if he is there and goddard or durdin are also there.

interesting point about pods. yeah i think he could definitely play back, as can jenkins if needed. but i don't like either of them there long term.

If all 3 are on the table at #14, I would be certain the crows will go for Wright.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

valleys07
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:46 pm

Yeah I agree, but most projections I have seen have him going around 5
bennymacca
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:51 pm

bennymacca wrote:Yeah I agree, but most projections I have seen have him going around 5

True, but reports are that Collingwood may be shifting their interest to Kyle Langford.

valleys07
Coach

Postby David Brent » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:59 pm

bennymacca wrote:Yeah I agree, but most projections I have seen have him going around 5

Ive read that he will be the big slider of the draft & may end up out of the top 10. I think Crows would still go Durdin if both were avaliable.
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby bennymacca » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:08 pm

if we managed to get wright i would think jenkins might be groomed to play CHB, along with pods helping out
bennymacca
Coach

Postby JK » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:13 pm

valleys07 wrote:
bennymacca wrote:I thought wright would be going top 10 for sure. would be interesting if he is there and goddard or durdin are also there.

If all 3 are on the table at #14, I would be certain the crows will go for Wright.

The concerns over Wright apparently have been about his competitiveness, or lack thereof at times. Not sure that would be something that sits well with the new head coach who I think is likely to set the bar pretty high in that department for his players. Doesn't rule him out obviously, but doesn't make him a lock either imho.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby bennymacca » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:14 pm

Interesting. Don't know much about him tbh
bennymacca
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:45 pm

JK wrote:
valleys07 wrote:

The concerns over Wright apparently have been about his competitiveness, or lack thereof at times. Not sure that would be something that sits well with the new head coach who I think is likely to set the bar pretty high in that department for his players. Doesn't rule him out obviously, but doesn't make him a lock either imho.

Could that be why he is predicted to slide. I believe Wright is exactly what Adelaide need from a positional aspect, but if the work ethic isn't there, you can understand them looking elsewhere.

valleys07
Coach

Postby JK » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:11 pm

valleys07 wrote:
JK wrote:
valleys07 wrote:

Could that be why he is predicted to slide. I believe Wright is exactly what Adelaide need from a positional aspect, but if the work ethic isn't there, you can understand them looking elsewhere.

Yeah mate that was the inference in the articles that I read. But then who knows, someone might still him lined up with a top 6 pick, but of a raffle.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:33 pm

Just **** LOL at that summary BM.

You dont recruit 2 fringe players from the best team the comp has ever seen and not play them. Cheney will finish top 10 in your B&F and Lowden will play every game.
Podsiadly is finished
Jaensch/ Shaw not up to it.
Betts goes missing when it counts against the good teams.
Walker will never challenge for the Coleman, i must have missed when he ever has, he's just not that good. On par with Waite.
The entire midfield burns the footy by foot.

Having said that they will make the 8, the beauty of the "fixture"
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Crows 2015

Postby bennymacca » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:44 pm

daysofourlives wrote:Just **** LOL at that summary BM.

You dont recruit 2 fringe players from the best team the comp has ever seen and not play them. Cheney will finish top 10 in your B&F and Lowden will play every game.
Podsiadly is finished
Walker will never challenge for the Coleman, i must have missed when he ever has, he's just not that good. On par with Waite.

I'm not sure why I even bother replying but you obviously can't read. That was a best case scenario.

And walker finished 4th in the Coleman in 2012, 6 behind the leaders, from only 19 games. So he easily could have won it.

And lol at you pretending to know better but actually writing exactly what I wrote.

I would say crawl back under your rock, but Ayers Rock is too far away
bennymacca
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:03 pm

bennymacca wrote:

Podsiadly is finished

I'm not sure why I even bother replying but you obviously can't read. That was a best case scenario.

And walker finished 4th in the Coleman in 2012, 6 behind the leaders, from only 19 games. So he easily could have won it.

And lol at you pretending to know better but actually writing exactly what I wrote.

I would say crawl back under your rock, but Ayers Rock is too far away

he'd usually get the 2nd or 3rd best defender Because Tippett was getting double teamed every week...

im a big tex fan but he HAS to perform next year.... Anything under 50-60 goals is a failure in my opinion, especially now he's the number one forward...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:04 pm

good write up by the way
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:08 pm

Podsiadly is finished

wow....

Ever???
woodublieve12
Coach

Next

Board index   Football  AFL