World Cup 2015

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: World Cup 2015

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:21 pm

If DeVilliers fails then so do the Saffers. I asked the question at the pub last week when everyone there was wanking over the Saffers. "Is this team better than their last world cup side"? General consensus was no. Australia and NZ are considerably better and are on their own decks.
Last edited by LaughingKookaburra on Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 747 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby dedja » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:22 pm

India win by 130 runs
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 197 times
Been liked: 1014 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:34 pm

Even the games that are supposed to be competitive are producing one-sided results.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Jim05 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:53 pm

Not surprised at this result at all, said long before the tournament India are close to favourites. No coincidence that in a WC year they just "happened" to tour here for 2 months prior. They are well used to our conditions now and we have given them two grounds which really suit them to start the comp
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3554 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Dogwatcher » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:55 pm

Loving the highlights of Gilly's WC final ton. Gold.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby dedja » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:00 pm

Jim05 wrote:Not surprised at this result at all, said long before the tournament India are close to favourites. No coincidence that in a WC year they just "happened" to tour here for 2 months prior. They are well used to our conditions now and we have given them two grounds which really suit them to start the comp

Except they didn't win a match on the tour ...
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 197 times
Been liked: 1014 times

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:03 pm

Jim05 wrote:Not surprised at this result at all, said long before the tournament India are close to favourites. No coincidence that in a WC year they just "happened" to tour here for 2 months prior. They are well used to our conditions now and we have given them two grounds which really suit them to start the comp

No Jim I won't hear of it. The Indian cricket council :oops: I mean International Cricket Council in any way shape or form showing favouritism to the sooks. Imagine that :lol:

It was a great win by India and fair play to them for that but I don't think this is a bad thing for the Saffers. AB, Daryl, Morne and Hashim all had little to no impact. They will be there come the quarters and with world class batting and bowling they will be as dangerous as anyone. If anything tonight's shocker might relax the pressure of expectation.

Mark my words. India will not be there in the final. This is not just my hatred for Kohli speaking :)
Last edited by wristwatcher on Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Jim05 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:13 pm

dedja wrote:

Except they didn't win a match on the tour ...

True, but they got to try a few things and get familiar with the pitches. Also the majority of their games were against the World's best. I think the two pitches prepared for them so far suits their style, real good chance of semis and from there who knows. Don't underestimate the crowd either, both games have felt like home games so far
Jim05
Coach

Postby Grahaml » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:21 pm

You won't run out De Villiers and Miller in the same innings very often. SA are definitely too reliant on De Villiers and Amla when it comes to batting but for me the worrying sign (if you are a SA fan of course) is how venomless their bowling looks. Including, dare we say, Steyn. Philander hurt himself but looks pedestrian and Morkel looks like he's trying not to go for more than 60 of 10 through the middle overs which is about what you want from a part timer or all rounder. Duminy's batting is just sub par. I know he came out a few years ago and blitzed us but looking back that seems like temporary form and not permanent class. Parnell is not a #7.

I think SA would look better with another striker at #6 and perhaps swap Miller and Du Plessis. De Kock and Miller give them a chance for a strong start, Amla, De Villiers and Du Plessis the others in the top 5 give them fall backs if those two fail. Not sure who could come in for Duminy but surely someone would be better. Botha is a clever player and in one day cricket his intelligence and all round ability make him hard to leave out. I doubt they can (and certain they won't) call him up but they should look at it. Thought Abbott looked good recently against us and better than Morkel for sure. Too late you imagine to ring in such wholesale changes, but I'd be more worried about that SA lineup than this one.

Still not sold on India. SA's pace bowling is inexplicably down so batting against a combination of Cummins, Starc, Hazlewood, Johnson and Faulkner will be a totally different world for Dhawan, Kohli and Rahane. Still don't rate the Indian quicks either.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby mal » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:26 pm

Good post Jim

This is what Alan Border had to say in reference to comments made by Stuart Clark about India

" I think Stewy has hit the nail in the head they have played hard cricket for a couple of months and its really starting to pay dividends now, when it matters in the World Cup."

And you are spot on about India getting gifted games at Adelaide Oval and the MCG
Good observations
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1164 times
Been liked: 921 times

Postby mal » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:33 pm

dedja wrote:I wouldn't want to mess with them ... their country has virtually been at war for nearly 40 years and still is in turmoil, but amazingly they can field an international cricket team.

What excuse do the Poms have for being minnows? :lol:

You are rating England as minnows ?
I have to strongly disagree
In the recent series AU -IN-EG they defeated India twice
They didnt beat Australia in that series, but I doubt if a minnow could have beaten Australia either
mal
Coach

Postby mal » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:37 pm

PatowalongaPirate wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Get what you deserve for playing a reverse sweep
5/147
The Flat Track Bullies being exposed on the big stage once again

Yep. What must go through his head to premeditate that type of shot with 20 overs to go and a slip in place?

It was a very dumb shot
BUT
The run rate was high, the mind set was that something needed to be done
mal
Coach

Postby mal » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:41 pm

Grahaml wrote:You won't run out De Villiers and Miller in the same innings very often. SA are definitely too reliant on De Villiers and Amla when it comes to batting but for me the worrying sign (if you are a SA fan of course) is how venomless their bowling looks. Including, dare we say, Steyn. Philander hurt himself but looks pedestrian and Morkel looks like he's trying not to go for more than 60 of 10 through the middle overs which is about what you want from a part timer or all rounder. Duminy's batting is just sub par. I know he came out a few years ago and blitzed us but looking back that seems like temporary form and not permanent class. Parnell is not a #7.

I think SA would look better with another striker at #6 and perhaps swap Miller and Du Plessis. De Kock and Miller give them a chance for a strong start, Amla, De Villiers and Du Plessis the others in the top 5 give them fall backs if those two fail. Not sure who could come in for Duminy but surely someone would be better. Botha is a clever player and in one day cricket his intelligence and all round ability make him hard to leave out. I doubt they can (and certain they won't) call him up but they should look at it. Thought Abbott looked good recently against us and better than Morkel for sure. Too late you imagine to ring in such wholesale changes, but I'd be more worried about that SA lineup than this one.

Still not sold on India. SA's pace bowling is inexplicably down so batting against a combination of Cummins, Starc, Hazlewood, Johnson and Faulkner will be a totally different world for Dhawan, Kohli and Rahane. Still don't rate the Indian quicks either.

Pitch conditions might have helped India
Had this game been on bouncier decks like Gabba and Perth , perhaps SA might have been more competitive

SA went for broke playing 5 front line bowlers v India
Didnt help this time, who knows next time
mal
Coach

Postby carey » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:00 pm

5/147

Now Jimbo I know you like to get excited but, Please explain how SA are flat track bullies? If you asked 1000 people who are the flat track bullies in Cricket 999 would snap reply with 'India' but they won Jim. On funnily enough what looked a pretty flat deck.

Just can't work out your theory on this one.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2812 times
Been liked: 2999 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Jim05 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:10 pm

carey wrote:
5/147

Now Jimbo I know you like to get excited but, Please explain how SA are flat track bullies? If you asked 1000 people who are the flat track bullies in Cricket 999 would snap reply with 'India' but they won Jim. On funnily enough what looked a pretty flat deck.

Just can't work out your theory on this one.

Its a fairly loosely coined term but couldnt think of another name to call a side that beats up on opponents all year in meaningless games and then falls to pieces in a major comp. Maybe Chokers or pea hearts is a better description than Flat Track Bullies?
There so called two gun batters have hardly fired a shot against two average attacks and their gun bowlers have are struggling even the Zimmers teed off on them.
Doesnt help when you have three differant skippers out there trying to steer the ship.
Cant wait for another embarassing exit by these muppets, perhaps Pollock can explain the D/L law to them lol
Jim05
Coach

Postby whufc » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:21 pm

Plus they get the SCG as well which arguably is there most suited

IMHO they are equal favs with Aus, have said this since the start of the summer
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5605 times
Been liked: 2537 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:48 am

The poms getting an easy start from some poor bowling
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11899 times
Been liked: 3618 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:01 am

poms 0/121 after 21overs
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:05 am

the poms are crumbling under the spirit of William Wallace

4-203 in the 36th
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:04 pm

west indies batting v zimbabwe

1/0 after 2 deliveries
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket