World Cup 2015

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: World Cup 2015

Postby locky801 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:57 pm

World cup 11 as picked by a team of unnamed selectors, a couple of interesting selections

ICC World Cup XI

Martin Guptill (New Zealand)
Brendon McCullum (New Zealand (captain)
Kumar Sangakkara (Sri Lanka) (wicketkeeper)
Steven Smith (Australia)
AB de Villiers (South Africa)
Glenn Maxwell (Australia)
Corey Anderson (New Zealand)
Daniel Vettori (New Zealand)
Mitchell Starc (Australia)
Trent Boult (New Zealand)
Morne Morkel (South Africa)
Brendan Taylor (Zimbabwe) (12th man)
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3707 times
Been liked: 1170 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:42 pm

locky801 wrote:World cup 11 as picked by a team of unnamed selectors, a couple of interesting selections

ICC World Cup XI

Steven Smith (Australia)

Unnamed? Scott Styris & Simon Doull?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Ron Burgundy » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:05 pm

Its close.

But McCullum came 16th in the runs @ 36

I'd replace McCullum with Dilshan and Morkel with Shami *the second one being a bit picky.
Ron Burgundy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby locky801 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:20 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
locky801 wrote:World cup 11 as picked by a team of unnamed selectors, a couple of interesting selections

ICC World Cup XI

Steven Smith (Australia)

Only going what was on the CA website LM, with that many NZ's in there probably right
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3707 times
Been liked: 1170 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:40 pm

locky801 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

ICC World Cup XI

Steven Smith (Australia)

Only going what was on the CA website LM, with that many NZ's in there probably right

Yeah mate, I was being sarcastic, I thought McCullum, Anderson and Vettori were fortunate initially, now I just think that McCullum and Anderson were the lucky 2.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:16 pm

The Cricket World Cup tournament team was selected by former England players Jonathan Agnew, Michael Vaughan and Vic Marks, and Australian commentator Jim Maxwell.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:26 am

Mr Beefy wrote:The Cricket World Cup tournament team was selected by former England players Jonathan Agnew, Michael Vaughan and Vic Marks, and Australian commentator Jim Maxwell.

Vic Marks: There's a name I haven't heard of in a while, he looked about 48 when he was playing.
So 3 poms and Glenn's dad picked the side, that explains it then.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:22 am

http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/ho ... 7285550233

DID South Africa’s cricket team drop a white player and replace him with an injured black player for a World Cup semi-final match to make its lineup more racially acceptable?

The question has revived an uncomfortable conversation over race and change in South African sport, where the two most successful national teams — cricket and rugby — are still mainly white more than two decades after the end of apartheid.

Sports minister Fikile Mbalula denied that he influenced the cricket team to drop white bowler Kyle Abbott for Vernon Philander in last week’s World Cup semi-final against New Zealand.

The situation reportedly created turmoil ahead of the match, with claims captain AB de Villiers was considering withdrawing from playing over the issue.
“AB didn‘t want to play in the semi because of this; it is a clear case of interference by the board — they ordered Philander‘s selection,” a source is quoted as saying in South Africa’s Rand Daily Mail.

Mbalula, who is black, said he was responding to accusations made by “a dying breed of political dinosaurs”. He didn’t identify the source of the accusations.
“We know who are spreading these speculations and we will not dignify them by mentioning their names,” Mbalula said in a statement.
“These are acts of desperate colonial apartheid apologist(s) ... We shall not be deterred by their mischief.”

He released a second statement today rejecting the “unfounded allegations”, with the South African sports media focusing intensely on the issue.
Mbalula’s denial was backed up by Cricket South Africa chief executive Haroon Lorgat, who said there was “absolutely no interference” with team selection at the World Cup in Australia and New Zealand.

“I must tell you that I’ve never heard any more nonsense than that in all my tenure as an administrator,” Lorgat said.

However, the South Africa cricket team does have an informal agreement that it should normally have at least four non-white players in its lineup. Without Philander against New Zealand, South Africa would have had only three.

The rugby and cricket teams, often at or near the top of the world rankings, have long been under pressure to field more non-whites, who weren’t allowed to play for national teams during apartheid.

Although a high-class bowler, Philander was out of form and struggled with injury at the World Cup, while Abbott impressed.
Philander also appeared to be not fully fit when recalled for the New Zealand game.
However, he did arrive at the World Cup as a regular member of the lineup and ahead of Abbott in the pecking order before his loss of form and injury problems.
South Africa is still struggling in all areas to right the wrongs of white rule under the racist apartheid regime, which officially ended with the first democratic elections in 1994.
Black Africans make up around 80 percent of the population yet there are no black African players in South Africa’s first-choice cricket lineup and just one in its starting rugby team — a player from neighbouring Zimbabwe who is a naturalized South African.
The issue inspired renowned anti-apartheid activist and Nobel Peace Prize winner Archbishop Desmond Tutu to write a letter to a Cape Town.

Under pressure from government, cricket and rugby have now re-established racial quotas at domestic level to force teams to pick a certain amount of black players. Similar quotas in the late 1990s and early 2000s caused deep resentment.

Famously, South African-born Kevin Pietersen, who became England’s most successful cricket batsman, said those quotas were biased against him as a white player and led him to look for career opportunities elsewhere. Others have followed.

Still, Mbalula, the sports minister, reinforced in a speech at a South African Olympic Committee meeting on Saturday that sport had tried but failed to redress the balance since apartheid ended. He said various sports, including rugby and cricket, would now sign agreements next month committing them to racial change and “achieving transformation targets”.

“The colonial and apartheid legacy is as hard as a crocodile skin,” Mbalula said.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

Postby heater31 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:24 am

Kevin Pietersen says hello.....:roll:
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Brodlach » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:09 pm

Dan Vettori retired from all international cricket, one of NZ's greatest players. One Kiwi I found it hard to dislike.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:10 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:The Cricket World Cup tournament team was selected by former England players Jonathan Agnew, Michael Vaughan and Vic Marks, and Australian commentator Jim Maxwell.

Vic Marks: There's a name I haven't heard of in a while, he looked about 48 when he was playing.
So 3 poms and Glenn's dad picked the side, that explains it then.

Good old Skiddy. Couldn't bowl bat or field. Good addition to the Pommy squad back in the day.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:17 pm

Brodlach wrote:Dan Vettori retired from all international cricket, one of NZ's greatest players. One Kiwi I found it hard to dislike.

Great cricketer who couldn't not be liked. Best of luck to him.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby Spargo » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:24 pm

Vettori came across as a nice bloke & all, but he wasn't a star of the game. He may have been a star of NZ cricket, but not world cricket.
He was a good player in a crap team that had very little success against the big boys for a long, long period of time.
Their run to the World Cup final wasn't carried on his back.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5486 times
Been liked: 5124 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:34 pm

Brodlach wrote:Dan Vettori retired from all international cricket, one of NZ's greatest players. One Kiwi I found it hard to dislike.

The great man Dan, fantastic career, loved the way he went about it. One of my favourite cricketers.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10340 times
Been liked: 1520 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:44 pm

Spargo wrote:Vettori came across as a nice bloke & all, but he wasn't a star of the game. He may have been a star of NZ cricket, but not world cricket.
He was a good player in a crap team that had very little success against the big boys for a long, long period of time.

Harsh and undermining of him I reckon, many don't have the all round record he has, it speaks for itself IMO. Yes he didn't play in a very successful team but he carried it most days especially in the latter part of his career. Great left arm spinner his accuracy is impeccable, awkward with the bat but got the job done and a great servant to NZ and international cricket.

He didn't carry the Kiwis in the World Cup because he didn't need to anymore, they're now developing some cricketers that are and will be better than the generation before them that Vettori played with. Williamson and Boult in particular provide NZ with a bright future.
Last edited by The Dark Knight on Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10340 times
Been liked: 1520 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:50 pm

Spargo wrote:Vettori came across as a nice bloke & all, but he wasn't a star of the game. He may have been a star of NZ cricket, but not world cricket.

*unlike*

Weird assessment of someone who played in a shizen side but carried the mob for the better part of a decade. As he got older, the standards around him rose until no, he didn't need to carry the side. He was a star in a quasi minnows nation until recently where they are becoming one of the powerhouses of international one day cricket and forging a reputation as a very good test playing nation.

Vettori may well have gotten too old for the team around him but his nations success is just around the corner.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby heater31 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:15 pm

gadj1976 wrote:

*unlike*

Weird assessment of someone who played in a shizen side but carried the mob for the better part of a decade. As he got older, the standards around him rose until no, he didn't need to carry the side. He was a star in a quasi minnows nation until recently where they are becoming one of the powerhouses of international one day cricket and forging a reputation as a very good test playing nation.

Vettori may well have gotten too old for the team around him but his nations success is just around the corner.

For a long time Vettori was the only New Zealander with the potential to play for Australia at their peak. Now days we could have there entire pace attack fit into our side if we wanted
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Spargo » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:18 pm

Read my post again, (gadj & DK) because both your responses only back up what I first said.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5486 times
Been liked: 5124 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:10 am

heater31 wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:

*unlike*

For a long time Vettori was the only New Zealander with the potential to play for Australia at their peak. Now days we could have there entire pace attack fit into our side if we wanted

You think so? Although they have a great pace attack, I think we have their measure in that department, I'm sure Boult and Southee would both be around the mark.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:02 am

Neither would knock MJ or Starc out of our ODI side
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times