Predictions - and discussion - in lead up to 2015 season..

Talk on the national game

Re: Predictions - and discussion - in lead up to 2015 season

Postby Spargo » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:54 am

JK wrote:I cant recall too many seasons, this far in, where the vast majority of the football public are so certain the 3rd ranked team is the best in the competition. I know it's only due to the Hawks slow start, but usually by this time there's either no clear standout, or they are sitting in top spot.

Was only having the same conversation with a mate this morning. Sure, Hawthorn are currently on fire, and if the finals started this week they'd be odds on to win the flag - BUT, there is a third of the season still to play, 7 more games.
The Hawks may get 3 or 4 injuries to crucial players, another team may "light it up" and win 6, 7 or even 8 in a row - there is so much more to play out.
Clarkson said himself over the weekend "they don't hand flags out in July".
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Corona Man » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:56 am

JK wrote:I cant recall too many seasons, this far in, where the vast majority of the football public are so certain the 3rd ranked team is the best in the competition. I know it's only due to the Hawks slow start, but usually by this time there's either no clear standout, or they are sitting in top spot.

They have certainly gone up a gear, if not 2 in the past fortnight. I was at the MCG for the Collingwood game a few weeks back, and to be honest the Hawks fell over the line. Still a good sign that they can play poorly, but find a way to win.... Still plenty of footy to be played before September, and in the case of this year, October. While I am clearly biased, who is the real challenger..... Sydney, Freo, or is it West Coast?
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby JK » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:27 am

Corona Man wrote:

They have certainly gone up a gear, if not 2 in the past fortnight. I was at the MCG for the Collingwood game a few weeks back, and to be honest the Hawks fell over the line. Still a good sign that they can play poorly, but find a way to win.... Still plenty of footy to be played before September, and in the case of this year, October. While I am clearly biased, who is the real challenger..... Sydney, Freo, or is it West Coast?

Good post mate. I reckon the Hawks form and pedigree is %70 of the puzzle, and the other %30 comes from, as you say, the lack of a real standout challenger at the moment and within say the last few weeks.

LM and Clarko make a great point about how much things can change between now and GF day, but it's really hard seeing a team improve enough to beat the Hawks, especially if they get home ground advantage throughout the finals series as expected.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:32 am

If it weren't for their record over the last 3-5 years we would all be expecting that this level of performance could not be sustained. We all know better than that, we all know they can keep this up.

Keep in mind they've just pumped Fremantle and Sydney and they've got Carlton, Richmond, West Coast, Geelong, Port, Brisbane and Carlton (!) in the last 7 games.

Other than Richmond and West Coast it's fair to say they could drop their current level of performance quite considerably and win the other 5 with ease. Carlton twice in 7 weeks to end the year? Nice work if you can get it.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:35 am

The season as a whole has been pretty even. Teams from 5-11 are all pretty even (maybe richmond the standout among them) and all of the top 4 teams have had at least a patch in the year where they didnt look that good.

Hawthorn at their best are clearly better than any other team at their best, but it wont take much for One of the other top 4 teams to beat them on their day
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:01 pm

Booney wrote:If it weren't for their record over the last 3-5 years we would all be expecting that this level of performance could not be sustained. We all know better than that, we all know they can keep this up.

Keep in mind they've just pumped Fremantle and Sydney and they've got Carlton, Richmond, West Coast, Geelong, Port, Brisbane and Carlton (!) in the last 7 games.

Other than Richmond and West Coast it's fair to say they could drop their current level of performance quite considerably and win the other 5 with ease. Carlton twice in 7 weeks to end the year? Nice work if you can get it.

You know I love a good old fashion Hawk bashing but it's the first time in years that Hawthorn have played Carlton twice.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby kneedeepinthehoopla » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:18 pm

Booney wrote:If it weren't for their record over the last 3-5 years we would all be expecting that this level of performance could not be sustained. We all know better than that, we all know they can keep this up.

Your lot would be thankful they don't, Booney ;)
kneedeepinthehoopla
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 54 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:25 am

JK wrote:
Good post mate. I reckon the Hawks form and pedigree is %70 of the puzzle, and the other %30 comes from, as you say, the lack of a real standout challenger at the moment and within say the last few weeks.

LM and Clarko make a great point about how much things can change between now and GF day, but it's really hard seeing a team improve enough to beat the Hawks, especially if they get home ground advantage throughout the finals series as expected.

Cheers, Clarko says thanks as well.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby JK » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:15 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
JK wrote:

Cheers, Clarko says thanks as well.

Is he staying in Hindley St again?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:39 am

JK wrote:
Is he staying in Hindley St again?

No, on.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:13 pm

Still think Freo and to a lesser extent Sydney will build and prove hard to beat when it comes to the crunch.

I reckon Lyon is deliberately holding back Freo thru the current period, timing their run at Sept.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby JK » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:15 pm

Dutchy wrote:Still think Freo and to a lesser extent Sydney will build and prove hard to beat when it comes to the crunch.

I reckon Lyon is deliberately holding back Freo thru the current period, timing their run at Sept.

They'll need Johnson back and fit, and whilst he was down on previous form, Ballantyne is a loss.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:16 pm

Dutchy wrote:Still think Freo and to a lesser extent Sydney will build and prove hard to beat when it comes to the crunch.

I'm of the same belief with Freo, as for Sydney, they don't seem to have the same intimidation factor as they've had previously, their on-ball brigade is as good as it gets as with their forward line, I think they lack a solid ruckman and their defense isn't like we're used of seeing from Sydney.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:19 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

I'm of the same belief with Freo, as for Sydney, they don't seem to have the same intimidation factor as they've had previously, their on-ball brigade is as good as it gets as with their forward line, I think they lack a solid ruckman and their defense isn't like we're used of seeing from Sydney.

On the last game they need to find 90pts improvement.... good luck
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:21 pm

Corona Man wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

On the last game they need to find 90pts improvement.... good luck

I don't read too much into margins, it's easy to lay down the guns once you're beaten and when you're on song the ball seems to bounce up into your hands or turn right angles through the goals.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby JK » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:21 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Said to a mate the other night that Sydney need to find something close to Hawthorn's level of "unsociable" footy. Not sure they have that in them.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby JK » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:22 pm

I think the key is that Hawthorn appear capable of winning a flag without needing to be at their best .. They can have an off day and still beat the better opposition.

The same can't be said for their rivals.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:25 pm

JK wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Said to a mate the other night that Sydney need to find something close to Hawthorn's level of "unsociable" footy. Not sure they have that in them.

Teddy Richards had a go!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:29 pm

JK wrote:I think the key is that Hawthorn appear capable of winning a flag without needing to be at their best .. They can have an off day and still beat the better opposition.

Agree with this.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Booney » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:08 pm

JK wrote:I think the key is that Hawthorn appear capable of winning a flag without needing to be at their best .. They can have an off day and still beat the better opposition.

Yep, agreed. The joker in the pack is most certainly West Coast. If they somehow manage to avoid each other until the big dance then anything is possible.

While they clash in the coming weeks, it's not until the knock out games do we really see the complete desperation of both sides.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL