"State League" players to top for AFL Nab flog challenge

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re:

Postby Dutchy » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:35 pm

Port Melbourne coach Gary Ayres has sent a blunt message in the direction of Essendon, urging the club to back off the Borough's list come the season proper.

Ayres made the remarks on the day the Bombers announced they had verbally committed to their first batch of state league players for the NAB Challenge, a group that includes Port's James Magner.

Former Demon Magner, Sandringham pair Clint Jones (ex-St Kilda) and Mitch Brown (ex-Geelong), and SANFL players Jared Petrenko (ex-Adelaide) and Mitch Clisby (ex-Melbourne) were all approached by Essendon recruiting manager Adrian Dodoro, and are set to line up in Morwell against the Saints in the Dons' NAB Challenge opener on March 7.

Coburg key defender and former Collingwood rookie Michael Hartley is also believed to have been looked at by the Bombers.

Ayres, an assistant coach at Essendon under Kevin Sheedy, said that while he would support untapped VFL talent being given a go during the pre-season, the premiership season was another matter.

"Home and away games would obviously cut across the season, so we wouldn't be handing over any of our players at the demise of our season proper," Ayres said.

"The agenda that we would obviously be going into is having the best players available for Port Melbourne to compete in the 2015 VFL season.

"I think if you asked a Port Melbourne player, they would say our first duty is to represent Port Melbourne, not to assist Essendon in the home and away games."

Essendon has been left depleted by the absence of 25 players from its 2012 list, 17 of whom are provisionally suspended pending the result of the ongoing AFL anti-doping tribunal hearing. Eight others have withdrawn in order to maintain the anonymity of the affected players.

The AFL announced on Monday that two different sets of rules would be applied for the NAB Challenge and the home and away season. Essendon can use any players from state league clubs during the pre-season series, however will be restricted to using players who have been on an AFL list in the past two seasons in the event that suspensions linger into April and beyond.

With the Dons also set to use eight to 10 of its VFL-listed players in the pre-season series, there remain about five spots available for other state league players to fill in the NAB Challenge.

Ayres also believed that giving preference to AFL players was "denigrating" to their VFL counterparts.

While the Port coach looked to protect his club's on-field interests, Zebras general manager John Mennie said his club would not stand in the way of Brown or Jones.

"It's their call whether they go to Essendon as one of their top-up players. We believe Mitch Brown is very keen and we'd be keen for him to do it because it gives him an opportunity to get picked up in the future. Clint Jones is a little bit older, so Clint will make up his own mind on what he wants to do," Mennie said.

Werribee chief executive Mark Penaluna also said he would give his blessing to Tigers' VFL players who had the chance to head to Essendon.

"As we've done in the past, we've done everything for the players who are playing for our club to go to another level," Penaluna said.

"The likes of Micky Barlow, Benny Brown and Dale Morris, who are all playing in the AFL. We understand that it's part of our charter, and guys go to the AFL with open arms."

Specifics about the contracts of the short-term Essendon recruits/ players are sure to be discussed at a meeting of VFL club general managers at Visy Park on Wednesday morning.

Clubs will also be seeking clarification on the status of Essendon's three scheduled VFL practice matches, the first of which - against Williamstown on Friday, March 13 - coincides with the AFL Bombers' second NAB Challenge match against GWS.

Meanwhile the Western Bulldogs have confirmed forward Stewart Crameri will sit out the first two weeks of the NAB Challenge due to his provisional suspension. The club is hopeful that the anti-doping tribunal will have handed down its decision by the time of its third match against Collingwood on March 21.

The Bombers have also announced the signature of former Geelong VFL player Mark Corrigan as the club's new development coach.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Re:

Postby Booney » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:48 pm

From the NAFC website :

To our members and supporters, there is a story in the Advertiser tomorrow regards the approaches by the Essendon FC to players currently on SANFL lists. This includes a player from our club, Mitch Clisby. Mitch has been contacted directly by Essendon and invited to play in the NAB Cup series. Essendon did not speak with us first, in fact, we still have not spoken to Essendon as at tonight.

We have been strong in our view that we are against this whole process, and that all SANFL clubs should be protected from such an invasion. We do not support the coercion of players from their clubs where they have been part of a long summer campaign and fill vital roles just to have them taken without notice. Mitch is aware of our views and position on it and understands it.

It is unfair for such a quality young lad to all of a sudden have this pressure put onto him by an AFL club, the result being he is caught between his Rooster teammates and the blood sweat and tears of the summer, and a possible AFL opportunity with all the enticements surrounding it. It is easy to see the possible attraction for him and we have told Mitch that we will not stand in his way if he chooses to go to Essendon for the NAB Cup series, even though we have made a strong stance to the SANFL against the process. Of course, if he goes, we would look forward to having him back as soon as possible, and firing up ready for our season opener.

As at tonight, regardless of what you read, Mitch has not committed to going until he speaks with Ken McGregor and considers it all. Essendon have told him the top up players must be in Melbourne on Thursday so the young fella has a whole 2 days’ notice. I wanted to confirm to our members and supporters our stance on this matter from the outset.

We will endeavour to keep you updated on this.
Greg Edwards
CEO
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Re:

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:27 pm

Essendon should look at the state league players for Port and Crows
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3583 times

Re:

Postby DOC » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:58 pm

ALL clubs should be together on this. If you go, there is no coming back is the clear and distinct message they should get.

However, six clubs have no credibility on sticking together and could not be trusted to carry this out. This is where the yes vote by those six now leaves us. Disjointed.

Would , if you were a current player or club official,, welcome any one back who buggers off just before the start of the season to play practice matches for another club?

This piffle that it is an opportunity as sprouted by quite a number of VFL and SANFL officials is farcical. An opportunity for what?
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 724 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Re: Re:

Postby Rising Power » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:23 pm

DOC wrote:ALL clubs should be together on this. If you go, there is no coming back is the clear and distinct message they should get.

However, six clubs have no credibility on sticking together and could not be trusted to carry this out. This is where the yes vote by those six now leaves us. Disjointed.

Would , if you were a current player or club official,, welcome any one back who buggers off just before the start of the season to play practice matches for another club?

This piffle that it is an opportunity as sprouted by quite a number of VFL and SANFL officials is farcical. An opportunity for what?

So South can line up with every other club for Mitch Clisby's signature after North boot him out for desertion? I don't think this situation has any connection to the reserves vote, it would be happening regardless.
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Re: "State League" players to top for AFL Nab flog challenge

Postby stan » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:49 pm

Essendon have now apologized to the SANFL clubs.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby stan » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:51 pm

Sorry let me correct that, Essendon called the SANFL CEO and apologized to him.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Re:

Postby PhilH » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:37 pm

I think the report is that Essendon apologised to North Adelaide CEO.

... according to North Adelaide. There is nothing from Essendon.

Headline doesn't match the facts of the story.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-02-18/dons-apologise-to-sanfl
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Re:

Postby LPH » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:14 pm

How ironic that BOTH Bickley & Rowe were talking about 'Integrity' & 'Compromise' tonight?
Bickley: "What about the integrity of the competition if the Crows miss the finals on percentage because Carlton or Collingwood played Essendon in the first 6 weeks of the year & won be 25 goals?"
Rowe: "Taking top up players out of another competition is unfair"

WTF?
We were raising these very issues 12 months ago, but the responses were along the lines of; "evolve", "good for the competition", "everybody wins", "great deal", etc. ad nausium ... Pfft :roll:
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby topsywaldron » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:16 pm

Harry the Horse wrote:This won't be a popular viewpoint but I have no sympathy for the SANFL clubs.
They made their beds 18 months ago when they let the Crows and Power walk all over them.
The SANFL is now a reserves competition and is being treated as such by the AFL.

Yep.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby cracka » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:50 pm

Mr Fuller wrote:
on the rails wrote:
JK wrote:IF there's a positive for Sanfl clubs, I think it is that generally players still aspiring to an AFL career generally make better players in our local league. Does anyone know if transfer fee's apply for these replacement players?

I don't thnk there is based on it initially being only for NAB Cup and the players are supposed to return to their SANFL Clubs by start of season proper however if the drug saga continues and the Essendon players are rubbed out then the majority will remain to ensure Essendon have a "proper" list come home and away season.

Doesn't much matter if there is a fee - it would be like the current drip system payments for AFL transfers but regardless of how much money the clubs get per player how are they supposed to fill that gap this late in the pre-season re a quality / equal replacement - they can't!

In the case of the Eagles, the club has used the signing of Petrenko to help sell memberships for the coming season. It may be the same situation at other clubs. Without their presence it may have some (albeit small) impact on the ability to sell memberships.

Didn't he get nominated in UK Fans "Kenny Mcgregor AFL Spud of the year" thread.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby on the rails » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:53 pm

PhilH wrote:I think the report is that Essendon apologised to North Adelaide CEO.

... according to North Adelaide. There is nothing from Essendon.

Headline doesn't match the facts of the story.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-02-18/dons-apologise-to-sanfl

On all news channels tonight North CEO said the Essendon List Manager phoned him this morning and apologised (he didn't mention Tubby Wintle got the call!)- not sure if the Eagles got a call but from my reading of events yesterday Essendon had contacted the Eagles but only after they were alerted to the approach by the player himself.

In any case given what the SANFL CEO said in the press Essendon went back on their word previously that they would communicate thru the proper channels. This proves Essendon / AFL are arrogant tossers and don't give a shit about even common courtesy! I hope they bin their drug cheating players and that cockhead coach for 2 years each and Essendon get flogged by 20 goals plus for the next 2 years!
Piss weak SANFL and the CLOWNS who run it.
on the rails
League - Top 5

Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby sjt » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:57 pm

topsywaldron wrote:
Harry the Horse wrote:This won't be a popular viewpoint but I have no sympathy for the SANFL clubs.
They made their beds 18 months ago when they let the Crows and Power walk all over them.
The SANFL is now a reserves competition and is being treated as such by the AFL.

Yep.

Yep. The farce continues.
sjt
League - Best 21

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 59 times

Re:

Postby Wedgie » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:25 pm

I'm still trying to work out why clubs will be disrupted to replace some players who won't even be suspended!
Those players should be delisted forever if the AFL or Essendon had any balls.
Essendon, you have replaced Port as the weakest link, goodbye.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2023 times
Been liked: 3867 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Re:

Postby bays2011 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:58 pm

You don't "forget" to ring clubs as a courtesy before signing players. It was a deliberate decision that just typifies AFL attitudes. Still, 6 clubs decided to get into bed with them. He that touches pitch shall be defiled.
bays2011
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 20 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Re:

Postby Ron Burgundy » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:59 pm

Titus Oreilys take on the Sanfl.

http://ow.ly/Jf8GY
Ron Burgundy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 137 times

Re:

Postby philcas » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:31 pm

I seem to have missed something why are the players from essondon not playing in the NAB challenge i understand it has something to do with the supplement saga but who has stopped the essondon players playing
Please explain.
philcas
Rookie

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 21 times
Grassroots Team: Athelstone

Re:

Postby philcas » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:33 pm

I seem to have missed something why are the players from essondon not playing in the NAB challenge i understand it has something to do with the supplement saga but who has stopped the essondon players playing
Please explain.
philcas
Rookie

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 21 times
Grassroots Team: Athelstone

Re:

Postby Red Rocket » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:33 pm

I agree with most on here. Poor form by not only Essendon but the AFL IMO.
The AFL might be the highest level of Aussie Rules but it doesnt own football, the way they have tried to hijack the comps is a disgrace. Essendon supposedly wanted to play ammo players from Victoria in the NAB challenge as its only a practice series really, obviously the AFL didnt want a bar of it so set these ridiculous eligibility rules forcing Essendon to go to state leagues for top ups. Then you have Essendon which then tries to go back door to pinch players which is a real dog act. Worst of all you have Gill suggesting that the pilfering of state leagues for NAB challenge games may become more common depending on other clubs needs.
This whole thing is a farce, the AFL and Essendon will come out of this smelling like roses, the AFL has conditioned fans through the use of sycophants like Wilson and the Purple knob Barratt that the players will basically get a slap on the wrists and miss a game or two tops. Hird may keep his job and I personally hope he does as he cant coach for $hit!
Then you have their slimey President who is just about to receive a $300m bonus which he will no doubt use to pay the Golden Boy and the clubs legal bills and tip some into the already fantastic facilities. What a joke
Red Rocket
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 72 times
Grassroots Team: Kapunda

Postby Jim05 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:41 pm

philcas wrote:I seem to have missed something why are the players from essondon not playing in the NAB challenge i understand it has something to do with the supplement saga but who has stopped the essondon players playing
Please explain.

The 18 who got infraction notices are provisionally suspended so thats fair enough they miss. What I and many others dont like is that the other 7 on our list from 2012 have also pulled out. This is supposed to protect the identities of who received infraction notices which I think is a crock of crap because everyone knows who the 18 are. My understanding is Essendon and the AFL wanted these 7 to play but the AFLPA came over the top with threats against both Essendon and the AFL not to play them. Not sure which player is the chief instigator but the 7 players have the power
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL