Kumar Sangakkara

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Kumar Sangakkara

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:47 pm

I'll put it out there, I love watching this bloke bat. He's smooth, crafty, but can up the pace when needed.

Today he became the first person to score 4 consecutive One Day International 100's. Achieved, no less, in a World Cup. As I type, he's 124 off 92 balls.
So far this tournament, he has 483 runs at 161 from 6 innings*

He also notched up his 400th ODI earlier this World Cup.With over 14,000 ODI runs at 41, striking those at a R/R of 79.

In Test match cricket he has 12,200+ at 58! 58!

Combined he has 62 hundreds in these forms of the game, 144 50's. Throw in nearly 600 catches ( 400 ODI, 178 Test ) and 119 stumpings (99/20 ).

26,000+ runs and nearly 700 dismissals at ODI and Test level.

While Adam Gilchrist revolutionized the way a 'keeper batsman plays the game, I ask this. Is Sangakkara the the best 'keeper batsman to play the game?

Discuss.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7468 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Re: Kumar Sangakkara

Postby heater31 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:54 pm

Not only that I hear that he is a good bloke too.

Has at times given away the gloves to be a batsman only so if anything enhanced his record further.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby helicopterking » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:56 pm

My Fav player to watch since Brian Lara.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 666 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:58 pm

Sri Lanka revolutionised the way One Day matches were played in the first 15 overs

its a fantastic record he has
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3583 times

Postby whufc » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:59 pm

Yes Sangakarra is a better keeper batsmen than Gilchrist

But as you said Gilchrist revolutionised it!

I'll have either thanks!!
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5566 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:01 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Sri Lanka revolutionised the way One Day matches were played in the first 15 overs

True around 1996 (the series leading into the sub continent World Cup iirc) where they failed to win to many games in Aus with Jayasuriya and Kaluwitharana opening the bat.

Less than 3 months later they went on to become world champions and ODI's were changed forever

I would love to watch some of those early 1996 one dayers in Oz and compare them to the way the aussies batted that series and the opinions of the commentators before it become successful
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5566 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Jim05 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:07 pm

Always been a favourite, great player to watch and an all time great. Still doesnt quite get the recognition he deserves
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3536 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby MAY-Z » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:12 pm

Booney wrote:I'll put it out there, I love watching this bloke bat. He's smooth, crafty, but can up the pace when needed.

Today he became the first person to score 4 consecutive One Day International 100's. Achieved, no less, in a World Cup. As I type, he's 124 off 92 balls.

He also notched up his 400th ODI earlier this World Cup.With over 14,000 ODI runs at 41, striking those at a R/R of 79.

Combined he has 62 hundreds in these forms of the game, 144 50's. Throw in nearly 600 catches ( 400 ODI, 178 Test ) and 119 stumpings (99/20 ).

While Adam Gilchrist revolutionized the way a 'keeper batsman plays the game, I ask this. Is Sangakkara the the best 'keeper batsman to play the game?

Discuss.

Is all class and what is fantastic about his test record is that he doesn't average under 40 against any opposition, averages 69.6 when captain and 69.35 when not keeping - so as a sole batsmen his record would be the best since bradman
MAY-Z
2008 Punting Comp Winner

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:35 pm

Yeah, a favourite here too as well as Jayawardene and Chandimal.
Hope Sangakarra and Jayawardene see it through to the Aussies Test tour there next year as hoping to go, but I believe Sangakarra has announced or is about to retire from one-dayers at least.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby Aerie » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:52 pm

All class. Terrific player for a long time.

I haven't seen/taken notice enough of his keeping. Does it warrant consideration as one of the greatest keeper/batsman of all time? I haven't noticed too many mistakes. Would have kept to Murali for a long time. He is certainly as pure batsman as they come.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby Keefy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:13 pm

Now has the most dismissals by a keeper in a world cup.

53 made up of 40 catches and 13 stumpings

He is all class.
Keefy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 181 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby am Bays » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:33 pm

heater31 wrote:Not only that I hear that he is a good bloke too.

Has at times given away the gloves to be a batsman only so if anything enhanced his record further.

Can vouch for this. Met him when he trained in our gym at the NT Institute of Sport between the tour game and test match in Darwin in 2004.

Didn't treat the plonka who wanted to have a chat with him with disdain when he obviously had other things on his mind. I was only trying to complement him though for the double ton he made against the NT Chief Ministers XI which included Glen McGrath.

After making a ton in tour match he could've said, "I'm in form I've done what I needed to do to make sure I'm right for the test", nope, he dug in and batted on and on and on.

A class batsman, ruthless competitor, respectful of others and good bloke
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:48 am

You can sense that with the way he conducts himself during interviews. He speaks very well, quite comical and has impeccable english, I've always had a soft spot for the Sri Lankan's since they came over here for a WSC and had to front up against the Windies with their 4 pronged pace attack.
They were comprehensively outclassed but attacked the game with such vigor and enthusiasm, it was great to watch.

A few other players that I used to love watching for them.
Asanka Gurusinghe: batted very slow but valued his wicket.
Rumesh Ratnayake: The white head band and strange action capped off a very enthusiastic young man.
Aravinda de Silva: Very flamboyant with the willow, handy spinner too.
Roy Dias, Duleep Mendis and Sidath Wettimuny also showed balls at times in the early days.

Chaminda Vaas in more recent times has probably one of the most fluent actions for a left armer as any with amazing accuracy.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:11 am

whufc wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Sri Lanka revolutionised the way One Day matches were played in the first 15 overs

True around 1996 (the series leading into the sub continent World Cup iirc) where they failed to win to many games in Aus with Jayasuriya and Kaluwitharana opening the bat.

Less than 3 months later they went on to become world champions and ODI's were changed forever

I would love to watch some of those early 1996 one dayers in Oz and compare them to the way the aussies batted that series and the opinions of the commentators before it become successful

Pretty certain they took it right up to us in that series - they played in the finals series.
It was a series played against WI as well IIRC, and not in very good spirits, which I think fed a lot of the ambition for the World Cup (that was the cup where Australia didn't travel to Sri Lanka due to terrorist threats and forfeited).
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Zorro » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:40 am

Great thread Booney to highlight this guy. Sangakkara has a seriously good record that holds up against the best we've seen in the modern era, including Tendulkar and Lara. He has longevity, consistency against all opposition, adaptability for short and longer forms of the game and is a ruthless competitor who plays within the spirit of cricket. Have a look at the Cowdrey lecture to get a glimpse of what this guy is about.

All class as many have said.
The Cocks Will Rise Again
Zorro
Under 18s

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 52 times

Postby Mythical Creature » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:46 am

Great cricketer to watch.

I thought I read somewhere that he is retiring from ODI after this world cup and that he will retire from tests in August after the Indian series.

If so, what a way to step out!
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby Footy Smart » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:35 am

Yep great thread Boon, better than some of the other tripe you post in the AFL threads ;)
As has been said, he is all class and appears very humble. A true champion and gentleman of the game.
I thoroughly enjoy watching the Sri Lankans bat, Sangakkara, Jayawardene and Dilshan. Dilshan with that over of 6x4s against Mitch Johnson was brilliant.
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby Aerie » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:39 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

You can sense that with the way he conducts himself during interviews. He speaks very well, quite comical and has impeccable english, I've always had a soft spot for the Sri Lankan's since they came over here for a WSC and had to front up against the Windies with their 4 pronged pace attack.
They were comprehensively outclassed but attacked the game with such vigor and enthusiasm, it was great to watch.

A few other players that I used to love watching for them.
Asanka Gurusinghe: batted very slow but valued his wicket.
Rumesh Ratnayake: The white head band and strange action capped off a very enthusiastic young man.
Aravinda de Silva: Very flamboyant with the willow, handy spinner too.
Roy Dias, Duleep Mendis and Sidath Wettimuny also showed balls at times in the early days.

Chaminda Vaas in more recent times has probably one of the most fluent actions for a left armer as any with amazing accuracy.

Yes, the quality Sri Lanka have been able to produce and their ability to step up as a genuine strong cricketing nation is impressive. I wonder if Bangladesh, with 7 times the population of Sri Lanka, will do something similar in years to come. Hopefully, for the game of cricket, they do. This World Cup is a good start.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:47 pm

Aerie wrote:

Yes, the quality Sri Lanka have been able to produce and their ability to step up as a genuine strong cricketing nation is impressive. I wonder if Bangladesh, with 7 times the population of Sri Lanka, will do something similar in years to come. Hopefully, for the game of cricket, they do. This World Cup is a good start.

I'm thinking "yes", they've been on the brink of competitiveness for some time now claiming a few scalps along the way.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby holdy2323 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:17 am

Booney wrote:I'll put it out there, I love watching this bloke bat. He's smooth, crafty, but can up the pace when needed.

Discuss.

He also has 11 double hundreds 1 behind Bradman.
holdy2323

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket