Jason Gillespie considering SA coaching job

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Jason Gillespie considering SA coaching job

Postby RoosterMan » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 pm

Jason Gillespie considering taking up role with South Australia instead of possible England job

April 13, 2015 9:00PM

SOUTH AUSTRALIA is moving tantalisingly closer to a dream appointment of Jason Gillespie as Redbacks and Strikers coach.

Gillespie has been locked in as Strikers coach but The Advertiser last month revealed the former Test paceman was also considering the Redbacks role, replacing Darren Berry.

The lure of home and unprecedented autonomy in reforming SA cricket - then succeeding Darren Lehmann as Australia coach - is now an attractive prospect for title winning Yorkshire coach Gillespie.

Former Lord’s boss, now SACA chief Keith Bradshaw, has told The Advertiser that the next coaching appointments for the struggling Redbacks and Strikers are the most critical in its history with Gillespie a one-stop solution.

Having got his man for the T20 job, Bradshaw can offer a compelling vision across all forms for Gillespie.

Returning home to Adelaide Oval would mean leaving the White Roses program Gillespie reformed then steered to the 2014 County title. Yorkshire also has six players in England’s squad to tour the West Indies.

Gillespie would have to again ignore overtures to coach England if, or when, under pressure Peter Moores departs before or post Ashes.

Bradshaw has set up a crack committee including Test great Adam Gilchrist and AFL legend David Parkin to review South Australian cricket and recruit a head coach if Gillespie declines the Redbacks role.

However SACA’s chances of snaring Gillespie full time from next season have shortened.

While Gillespie was hired at Yorkshire by incoming England and Wales Cricket Board chairman Colin Graves, the game in the Old Dart is in a state of flux, with the ECB now searching for a replacement for Paul Downton as director of cricket.

Former England skipper Andrew Strauss is interested in the director of cricket role replacing Downton.

Another former Ashes-winning skipper and Gillespie confidant Michael Vaughan is also in the hunt for the ECB role.

SACA will be out to reclaim its favourite son before the ECB and possibly Vaughan can secure Gillespie.
Originally published as SACA set to swoop on Dizzy before England

http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/ja ... 7302517698
RoosterMan
Rookie

Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 24 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury West

Re: Jason Gillespie considering SA coaching job

Postby RustyCage » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:00 pm

Would be a great appointment if we can get him
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby RoosterMan » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:04 pm

RustyCage wrote:Would be a great appointment if we can get him

Absolutely RC, I'd love to see us get Dizzy back to the Adelaide Oval again.

It would be an absolute travesty to see him coaching England instead of us.
RoosterMan
Rookie

SACA wants Jason Gillespie to apply for vacant Redbacks role

Postby RoosterMan » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:39 am

SACA wants former Test paceman Jason Gillespie to apply for vacant Redbacks role

April 15, 2015 8:30PM

Jason Gillespie in his Adelaide Strikers gear. Source: Supplied

ADELAIDE Strikers mentor Jason Gillespie is an “outstanding candidate” to steer the Redbacks, says South Australian Cricket Association boss Keith Bradshaw.

However, SACA says the global search for Darren Berry’s replacement will not be compromised despite a groundswell of support for Gillespie to make a triumphant return from Yorkshire next season coaching the Strikers and Redbacks.

Gillespie has two weeks to express interest in the Redbacks job and Bradshaw welcomes an application from the former Australian fast bowler before the April 30 deadline.

“Dizzy is aware of the process we are going through and if he applies I would be thrilled but we have a rigid process in place,” said Bradshaw.

“We need to respect he does have very significant commitments with Yorkshire.

“If he ended up as the Redbacks coach what a fantastic result that would be as well. There is a journey we need to go through but without question he is a quality guy and South Australian.

“There is no doubt he is one of the world’s leading coaches.”

The Advertiser revealed seven weeks ago Gillespie would be the next Strikers coach and star choice as Redbacks coach.

“I think there are very few people in the world who can coach both roles in the same season. I think Dizzy is one of those guys and Justin Langer is another,” noted Bradshaw. Former Australian keeper Adam Gilchrist, Hawthorn and Carlton premiership coach David Parkin and Cricket Australia’s Pat Howard are heading a review of SA cricket including the appointment of the next Redbacks coach.

Bradshaw wants a coach secured by May while Gillespie could arrive in September after finishing a fourth summer with 2014 County champion Yorkshire.

Gillespie’s communication skills and record in player development while winning titles at Yorkshire fit a SACA program enduring a fifth Sheffield Shield wooden spoon in six seasons and no Test representatives.

Strikers chairman Andrew Sincock lauded the evolution of his former protege as Redbacks coach 18 years ago.

“He went to Zimbabwe, where he coached, then England, where his record has been fantastic,” said Sincock of Gillespie.

“He has been working with people as a bright, enthusiastic coach, strategically very good, qualified to level four where we only require level three in Australia.”

Sincock said recruiting would be first on Gillespie’s agenda as Strikers coach - needing to replace skipper Johan Botha and spearhead Shaun Tait while leg-spinner Adam Zampa is yet to be locked in.

“The contract list will be done in consultation with Jason and he says he wants to work with a lean, mean fighting machine,” said Sincock.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/sa ... 7305268414
RoosterMan
Rookie

Postby Killa » Fri May 01, 2015 3:11 pm

There are some silly rumours floating around... Boof is to step down after the Ashes, then take charge of the Redbacks.
Killa
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: South Augusta

Postby Brodlach » Mon May 04, 2015 10:33 am

Dizzy turned down the job as Redbacks coach to stay in the running should the English coach get sacked as expected
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby RustyCage » Mon May 04, 2015 11:04 am

Very disappointing, and makes his strikers role irrelevant.
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon May 04, 2015 11:29 am

no surprise to see Dizzy turn down the basket case here.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11841 times
Been liked: 3598 times

Postby RoosterMan » Mon May 04, 2015 2:07 pm

Jason Gillespie is no longer in the running for Redbacks coaching job

May 04, 2015 11:07AM

AN Ashes showdown between great mates Jason Gillespie and Darren Lehmann looms large with beleaguered England cricket coach Peter Moores facing the chop a second time.

Jason Gillespie is free to become England’s next head coach after the loyalty to Yorkshire and family prevailed in a line ball decision to return and coach South Australia.

It can be revealed that Test great Gillespie was seriously considering combining the Redbacks and Strikers coaching jobs last week. However Dizzy found the reality of leaving Yorkshire too much.

“SACA did ask if I was interested in the Redbacks as state coach. After careful consideration I have decided not to pursue the position. I’m excited about my roles with the Adelaide Strikers and Yorkshire,” Gillespie told The Advertiser

“I have to mention my appreciation for SACA in their dealings with me over the last little while. I have literally been blown away by their professionalism, respect and clear communication.

“Keith has simply been an outstanding while Andrew Sincock as chairman of the Strikers has also been good.”

The odds of Gillespie and Lehmann locking horns in the first Ashes Test in July at Cardiff have dramatically shortened.

Gillespie has been ‘flattered’ by talk linking him with the England job which will only intensify after the lowly West Indies squared its three Test series against Alastair Cook’s side 1-1 in the Caribbean.

Gillespie has already knocked back the England job before but would relish working with a squad that contains six Yorkshire products headlined by batsmen Joe Root and Gary Balance.

New England and Wales Cricket Board chairman Colin Graves indicated there would be “some inquiries” if they did not beat the West Indies leaving coach Moores’ tenure in limbo.

England also bombed out of the ICC World Cup in Australia, failing to graduate from the group stage under Moores and skipper Eoin Morgan.

Gillespie, ideally wants to finish the season with 2014 County champion Yorkshire, where he would be placed to succeed Moores if England lost the Ashes.

However Graves — who headhunted Gillespie to revitalise Yorkshire — could move on the 71-Test fast bowler — to rescue England before the Ashes.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/ja ... 7333943850
RoosterMan
Rookie

Postby heater31 » Mon May 04, 2015 2:17 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:no surprise to see Dizzy turn down the basket case here.

Wouldn't have anything to do with the old fossils still there when Dizz was a player....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby RoosterMan » Mon May 04, 2015 2:27 pm

It's a big disappointment.

In saying that heads need to roll at the SACA.

We've been relying on imports like Zampa, Botha and the late Phillip Hughes when we should be developing our own talent.

A real shame that we didn't get the late David Hookes before he took on the ill fated coaching role with the Vics.
RoosterMan
Rookie

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon May 04, 2015 2:35 pm

heater31 wrote:

Wouldn't have anything to do with the old fossils still there when Dizz was a player....

yep, the basket case starts from the top
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue May 05, 2015 12:47 pm

Dizzy disproving the notion that all fast bowlers are silly.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue May 05, 2015 12:58 pm

seems like a no brainer for dizzy. why would he move sideways to a SA coaching job that is more than likely a poisoned chalice. The pathway for him to move up seems to be much more closed too, as boof seems to have the job for as long as he wants it at the current time.

Seems like he has the yorkshire program running well, and with the possibility of the head england coaching job it seems silly for him to move back here
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue May 05, 2015 1:06 pm

to be honest i reckon i'd rather be unemployed than coach the redbacks
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed May 06, 2015 10:16 am

woodublieve12 wrote:to be honest i reckon i'd rather be unemployed than coach the redbacks

At least you'd get a day or two spare to sightsee when you play interstate.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby heater31 » Wed May 06, 2015 10:25 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:to be honest i reckon i'd rather be unemployed than coach the redbacks

At least you'd get a day or two spare to sightsee when you play interstate.

Hey Flipper Philips is that you ;)
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby valleys07 » Wed May 06, 2015 4:25 pm

And coaching the ECB is any better?

Yorkshire thanks!
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1169 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed May 06, 2015 5:05 pm

valleys07 wrote:

And coaching the ECB is any better?

Yorkshire thanks!

Yep, he gets to do sightseeing on an International level and not on a national level! ;)

Yorkshire out of the 4 - including the Strikers is the best gig to have, but he probably feels he can manipulate the ECB a little more than the SACA if he needs too.
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby stampy » Mon May 11, 2015 2:22 pm

Killa wrote:There are some silly rumours floating around... Boof is to step down after the Ashes, then take charge of the Redbacks.

heard the same with the added story of justin langer coaching the national side

if that is all BS then i like jamie siddons, reckon he would be a good fit
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 333 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Next

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket