Nick Murphy sacked

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Nick Murphy sacked

Postby Brodlach » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:48 am

Was still co captain when the alleged incident happened
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Wedgie » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:27 pm

Brodlach wrote:Was still co captain when the alleged incident happened

Irrelevent.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3893 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby StrayDog » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:12 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:It would be on pretty thin ground. A waste of money.
They would argue that he was captain at the time of the alleged incident.
They would also argue that the story indicated the measures South had taken.

Wedgie wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Was still co captain when the alleged incident happened

Irrelevent.

Yep, quite irrelevant. The story context is current / future (ie, the pending trial), however, the opening wording is not. The opening sentence / paragraph should read 'former', and the rest of the story should explain how and why, for the reader that is inclined to read further.

What he 'was' at the time of alleged conduct is beside the point - as is what further reading of the story, or any subsequent or previous media releases by South, may clarify. Likewise, what the journos or Club Murdoch may or may not "argue".

But, yeah, I think DW is right in the sense of limited value in pursuing it. Doesn't excuse it though.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1147 times
Been liked: 194 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:47 pm

Wedgie wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:Is there grounds to sue the newspaper for misrepresentation? You would assume that South Adelaide FC, being a member of the state's national league would have some standing in the public domain and could argue that the newspaper's failure to include "Former" in its headline is detrimental to the clubs public image.
I'm assuming B&W's post is just confirming another headline that fails to use "Former"

Don't worry, if it was the other way around the journos would be lining up to sue, most precious creatures in the world.

I doubt they would be lining up to sue over that - they know the defamation laws. They know there's nothing in it.

But, yes, some journos are precious.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Wedgie » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:32 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:Is there grounds to sue the newspaper for misrepresentation? You would assume that South Adelaide FC, being a member of the state's national league would have some standing in the public domain and could argue that the newspaper's failure to include "Former" in its headline is detrimental to the clubs public image.
I'm assuming B&W's post is just confirming another headline that fails to use "Former"

Don't worry, if it was the other way around the journos would be lining up to sue, most precious creatures in the world.

I doubt they would be lining up to sue over that - they know the defamation laws. They know there's nothing in it.

But, yes, some journos are precious.

Just going on my experience with some Advertiser journos but yes you're right, unfair to tar them all with the same brush, I know one decent journo ;)
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby saintal » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:11 pm

Found not guilty of rape. Has gotten a lot of coverage in the Advertiser this week- they love the ex-footballer angle.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 58a7593659
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby vics01 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:23 pm

A non unanimous decision is not innocent or guilty it just means a jury could not agree..
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby saintal » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:44 pm

vics01 wrote:A non unanimous decision is not innocent or guilty it just means a jury could not agree..

Better tell the headline writers that.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby pompy » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:16 pm

It states in the article was by majority verdict meaning at least 10 of the 12 found him not guilty.
pompy
Under 16s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times

Postby pompy » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:18 pm

So now he been found not-guilty, would South welcome him back?
Or would any other SANFL club be interested? Seems like he lives in North Adelaide.
Sounds like he may have some issues with recreation use, however probably no different to a fair proportion of society his age these days.
pompy
Under 16s

Postby heater31 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:23 pm

pompy wrote:So now he been found not-guilty, would South welcome him back?
Or would any other SANFL club be interested? Seems like he lives in North Adelaide.
Sounds like he may have some issues with recreation use, however probably no different to a fair proportion of society his age these days.

Would you like a bloke at your club that kept this serious incident hidden from everyone for months only speaking up when your first court appearance is days away....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby pompy » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:37 pm

heater31 wrote:

Would you like a bloke at your club that kept this serious incident hidden from everyone for months only speaking up when your first court appearance is days away....

No, I wouldn't personally. But I was asking if South or any clubs would be interested?
pompy
Under 16s

Postby Wedgie » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:42 pm

pompy wrote:
heater31 wrote:

No, I wouldn't personally. But I was asking if South or any clubs would be interested?

Sturt might, they're not usually big on resumes or personal references.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby heater31 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:39 pm

pompy wrote:
heater31 wrote:

For those with their finger on the Music Industry pulse I doubt Nick Murphy is going to have time to play footy anymore ;)
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Panther Pack » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:43 pm

pompy wrote:
heater31 wrote:

He won't be back at South.
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 139 times

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL