Another little one...Round 12

Talk on the national game

Re: Another little one...Round 12

Postby valleys07 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:37 am

Firstly: THE UMPIRING DID NOT COST PORT ADELAIDE THE GAME

Hopefully that calms all the Crow and Carlton nuffs, along with anybody else lining up to take a shot.

Can people explain 2 decisions that have left me scratching my head since saturday:

1) Inside the first minute of the 2nd quarter- David Armfield was screaming into an open goal and was tripped. He played on and kicked a point. The umpire recalled it and the set shot was a goal. What happened to the advantage rule in that instance? The rule would have applied had he kicked the goal, so it rests on the player once he makes the decision to play on.

2) Colquhoun's mark from the Ebert kick inside the last minute of the game. I AM NOT DISPUTING WHETHER IT WAS TOUCHED, but if it was, isn't the rule play on??? Why did the umpire re-call it? what was the ruling made there?

Shit result which has ended any glimmer of hope we may have held for our 2015 prospects....but surely the AFL umpires must be issued a please explain over a couple of calls made. As least come out and say the calls were wrong, or explain the ruling at least, as I among many were left a touch bemused.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1169 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby MW » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:47 am

Not sure about the first one, but the touched call was a ball up because the umpire next to where the 'mark' was taken paid it a mark, but the other ump called it touched. When that happens, the rule states its a ball up.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2610 times
Been liked: 1850 times

Postby valleys07 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:37 am

MW wrote:Not sure about the first one, but the touched call was a ball up because the umpire next to where the 'mark' was taken paid it a mark, but the other ump called it touched. When that happens, the rule states its a ball up.

That makes sense- I must have missed the calls, as I didn't actually hear the mark paid and the next call was the ball up.

Cheers MW.
Last edited by valleys07 on Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1169 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:41 am

valleys07 wrote:Firstly: THE UMPIRING DID NOT COST PORT ADELAIDE THE GAME

Hopefully that calms all the Crow and Carlton nuffs, along with anybody else lining up to take a shot.

Can people explain 2 decisions that have left me scratching my head since saturday:

1) Inside the first minute of the 2nd quarter- David Armfield was screaming into an open goal and was tripped. He played on and kicked a point. The umpire recalled it and the set shot was a goal. What happened to the advantage rule in that instance? The rule would have applied had he kicked the goal, so it rests on the player once he makes the decision to play on.

2) Colquhoun's mark from the Ebert kick inside the last minute of the game. I AM NOT DISPUTING WHETHER IT WAS TOUCHED, but if it was, isn't the rule play on??? Why did the umpire re-call it? what was the ruling made there?

Shit result which has ended any glimmer of hope we may have held for our 2015 prospects....but surely the AFL umpires must be issued a please explain over a couple of calls made. As least come out and say the calls were wrong, or explain the ruling at least, as I among many were left a touch bemused.

A 24-10 free kick count didn't help Port's cause.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby MW » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:47 am

It's ok, Rucci dedicated an entire article this morning to it, including one of the mistakes being they did not report Gibbs during the game.
MW
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:02 am

MW wrote:It's ok, Rucci dedicated an entire article this morning to it, including one of the mistakes being they did not report Gibbs during the game.

It was a good tackle from where the umpire was and if there was no injury then nothing would of come from it, it was just one of those unfortunate incidents that happen in a game.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby MW » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:19 am

agreed
MW
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:28 am

Not looking for excuses as there aren't any, our poor skills, lack of intent when we didn't have the ball and lack of composure when we had it made sure any external forces didn't have any impact on the outcome of the game.

I will however note that Carlton were coming off the bye and Port were going into it. Surely when 6 sides are having the bye each week they play each other the following week?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby cennals05 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:33 am

Booney wrote:Not looking for excuses as there aren't any, our poor skills, lack of intent when we didn't have the ball and lack of composure when we had it made sure any external forces didn't have any impact on the outcome of the game.

I will however note that Carlton were coming off the bye and Port were going into it. Surely when 6 sides are having the bye each week they play each other the following week?

Didn't seem to be a problem for West Coast.
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:37 am

cennals05 wrote:
Booney wrote:Not looking for excuses as there aren't any, our poor skills, lack of intent when we didn't have the ball and lack of composure when we had it made sure any external forces didn't have any impact on the outcome of the game.

Didn't seem to be a problem for West Coast.

No, it didn't, I agree.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby helicopterking » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:42 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
valleys07 wrote:Firstly: THE UMPIRING DID NOT COST PORT ADELAIDE THE GAME

A 24-10 free kick count didn't help Port's cause.

Friday Night free kick count was 25-13 against WC, in a game where they dominated play for a majority. Didn't stop them from getting the job done.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 667 times

Postby Spargo » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:47 am

Those cheating VFL umpires...
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5487 times
Been liked: 5125 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:52 am

helicopterking wrote:
Friday Night free kick count was 25-13 against WC, in a game where they dominated play for a majority. Didn't stop them from getting the job done.

And? I just said it didn't help.

It's quite ironic that you mentioned that though as I was listening to a Richmond supporter yesterday telling me how he thought the tigers were ripped off by the umpiring :shock: .

West Coast play with heart and a viable game plan, Port don't, they've been riding on their previous efforts.
West Coast have enormous depth, Port don't.

The thought of a full strength West Coast outfit is somewhat scary, definitely entering their window.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby helicopterking » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:52 am

Spargo wrote:Those cheating VFL umpires...

Never happens in Perth, it's bullcrap. :lol: :lol:
helicopterking
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:57 am

I whacked $2 on Dusty Martin to get the most disposals and most goals for the match on Friday night, it was going to return $430, I also placed $5 on Gaff to get 30 disposals with Martin to kick 3 goals.
It went sort of ok, Martin, Ellis and Gaff all collected 31 touches, Martin and Kennedy both kicked 3 so it got reduced to $73, collected $80 odd from the other one though. One more disposal would've been nice.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby helicopterking » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:05 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
helicopterking wrote:

It's quite ironic that you mentioned that though as I was listening to a Richmond supporter yesterday telling me how he thought the tigers were ripped off by the umpiring :shock: .

West Coast play with heart and a viable game plan, Port don't, they've been riding on their previous efforts.

The thought of a full strength West Coast outfit is somewhat scary, definitely entering their window.

Richmond got 2 terribly rank decisions, 2 of about 6 shockers for the night.
We have plenty of key position depth, midfield depth is increasing but far from strong. This is only because we have had the worst run of injuries for roughly the last 5 years, we have been forced to pump games into players. Last year we had no Shuey, Wellingham,Selwood,Yeo and Nic Nat with no pre season for long periods last year.
Yes our game plan is good, but players have learnt to run both ways,plus our disposal has improved out of site.
helicopterking
Coach

Postby stan » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:08 am

helicopterking wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
helicopterking wrote:

We have plenty of key position depth, midfield depth is increasing but far from strong. This is only because we have had the worst run of injuries for roughly the last 5 years, we have been forced to pump games into players. Last year we had no Shuey, Wellingham,Selwood,Yeo and Nic Nat with no pre season for long periods last year.
Yes our game plan is good, but players have learnt to run both ways,plus our disposal has improved out of site.

Umpiring that night just seemed strange. Just strange calls made all night.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1254 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:18 am

stan wrote:Umpiring that night just seemed strange. Just strange calls made all night.

I thought so too, it was too long ago for me to remember any but I do remember my son and I replaying a few and having a laugh.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:21 am

helicopterking wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
helicopterking wrote:

It was perhaps a blessing in disguise, nothing better than seeing youngsters take the bull by the horns. McGovern is rapidly becoming one of my favourite players, if McKenzie didn't go down he'd probably still be running around up forward and we wouldn't be witnessing his incredible ball reading skills. Hurn is developing into one of the best captains in the land, Wellingham is finally showing what his capabilities are and Yeo was just a cool name when he was a Lion.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Hefty » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:49 pm

Hefty wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Pretty mouthy this week Booney, Port must have an easy game this week ;)

That's what Port thought about the Brisbane game as well.........Carlton to end the pretenders year!

BUMP.....
Hefty
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 110 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL