Another little one...Round 12

Talk on the national game

Another little one...Round 12

Postby Booney » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:56 pm

Kicks off tonight, Thursday night under lights with Adelaide v Hawthorn.

Promises to be a ripping contest this one, the question on the lips of all Adelaide fans, no, nothing to do with Patrick and his autograph, it’s about ball usage and again, nothing to do with gaining Patricks signature.

Can Adelaide get enough of the ball to break even with the Hawks and while they have it can they use it well enough to create score board pressure? The answer to part 1, for mine, is yes. They can get enough of the ball with Danger, Douglas, Sloane, Thompson etc feeding off big Sauce Jacobs. The second part of the question is really anyones guess. Walker, Jenkins and Betts sure would like some decent delivery to make the most of the entries Adelaide creates.

At the other end of the ground the young Adelaide back line that has held up well and shows promise faces its biggest challenge for some weeks, the Hawks forward line and midfield delivery. Gunston ( he’d be handy at Adelaide ), Breust, Roili and the Uglymug pose any teams defence a challenge. At the other end the likes of Gibson, Frawley and Lake sure up the big men department for the Hawks that has suffered in recent times with injuries to all of the above mentioned.

Big crowd, big stage, big game. The Hawks haven’t strung two wins back to back often this season and Adelaide are coming off the break. Adelaide have been slow starters all year, can they fix that tonight? It might just be the difference. Cracking game ahead, Hawks by 9 points.

Friday night and the Tigers get a chance to prove themselves, or, is it the Weagles that get a chance to prove themselves against quality opposition? The Tigger train is full steam ahead at the moment with all hands on deck shovelling coal into the furnace to keep the wheels turning while the Eagles are soaring to heights nobody thought they had in them.

The money has the Tiggers $1.75 to $2.10. I suggest keep the hard earned folding stuff in the sky rocket for this one as tipping this with any confidence is fraught with danger. Like pushing too hard on a gassy one the day after you’ve had a spicy Pad Thai. Go gently, be careful.

The Tigers are running in numbers and giving their forwards plenty of opportunity and Jumping Jack is playing up the ground more giving the blokes around him less of a chance to get in his way and cop a spray. Modern footy, when played in it’s best form is great to watch and the Tigers are doing just that at the moment. The Eagles are a little more “traditional” in their structure with key big men in the forward half with Kennedy and Darling roaming around Sinclair and Nic Nat. All of a sudden Le Cras gets a little less attention and he’ll get you every time, he’s all class.

I can’t pick this one with anything other than the home side advantage and that’s all. Richmond in a ripper by 8 points.

Urrgghhh. Carlton and Port. Cripes. What should happen is different to what will happen and actually anything might happen. Us Port folk are not sure what to think. We’re holding out for the worm to turn, we’re thinking it should have happened weeks ago, it hasn’t, will it be this week?

Forget the bullshit being thrown out by some “Carlton have nothing to lose”, bollocks. Anyone who crosses the white line has plenty to lose and it’s not just that match. Carlton have been hit hard with champion Chris Judd having played his last game and dud import Daisy Thomas going in to have his busted wing clipped. One is a loss, the other is a waste of coin.....but, Carlton have shown they are prepared to run and play direct to Kruezer, a handy mid season inclusion. With Murphy getting plenty of it, Simpson capable, Curnow and Cripps coming on and Casboult and Kruezer to aim at they’ve got something going forward. Touhy and Buckley offer something in defence while Bell looks to be a ring a ding dead set half back flanker. ( Not wanker )

Port, where do I start? They simply must front up on Saturday at the G ( Nanna Boon is on the train tomorrow to go watch, I hope she’s not left with a cold cuppa tea as her highlight of the weekend ) and it’s time to put some heat and a few blokes. Lobbe needs to have an impact at ground level this week, he’s been competing in the air but offering little to nothing around the ground ( 52 hitouts last week, 5 touches ) and with Ryder set to return after the bye the big Ginger needs a big game against journeyman Cameron Wood, who, is about as hard as Kevin Rudd in a one-on-one with Gillard. Schulz needs to keep his positioning and offer a target for the mids who look up to see Wingard and 4 defenders in recent weeks. Sarge needs to nail a few this weekend. In the mids Hartlett needs to knuckle down and make the most of his ample frame and skills by impacting upon the contest.

Urrgghh. Port by 21 points. Please.

GWS have been hit hard, real hard with injury and it’s take out two of their bigger bodied experienced heads. Mummy has been unravelled by a nasty ankle and Phil Davis, who seems to like extended midseason breask, is in the mandatory moon boot and Patfull and Coniglio add to the losses that will truly test the Giants depth.

They host a North side who rolled the Eagles and then battled it out against the Swannies, that’s pretty good form and I don’t think any of us saw that coming 3 weeks ago. Goldstein will be licking his lips at the prospect of no Mumford and the likes of Harvey ( how’s he going for a 47 year old? ) and Cunnington, Ziebell, Swallow, Wright, Higgins et al makes for one of the deeper midfields in the game. Would be very frustrating supporting the Roos ( says the Port supporter! ), they really look to have all the ingredients to be at the top, perhaps just a little bit lacking in depth.

Higgins and Nahas roam around under the big Dish’s ( Petrie ) feet and reap the rewards from how big Drewy competes in the air. Waite is a fool, I mean foil and Big Ben Brown adds to opposition head aches when you need to man 3 key forwards up.

I would have said the Giants with a full line up, you can’t with the outs they have had this week. Or, can you? I can’t. Kangas by 15 points.

The little bubble the Dogs had blown in the first few rounds has burst with them winning just one of their last 5, while the Lions haven’t had a win since they beat Port a month ago. As such, this one doesn’t really promise to have much in it for the neutral fan.

Looks like a tough road trip for the Lions who have really found it hard to consistently hit the scoreboard. These two sides are 16th and 18th for total possessions,12th and 18th for goals for, 17th and 13th for hitouts with only one stat looking like there is anything in it, the Lions are last for tackles laid and the Dogs are 6th. Looks like the heat around the ball will go in the favour of the Dogs and from that the Lions will struggle to get it forward enough to make any sort of score build up.

I think this is the second most one-sided of the weekend, I think the Doggies will get back into some form with a solid win here, by 40 points.

Melbourne did what only Melbourne can do last week, they snatched defeat right out of the hands of victory. “GET BACK!!!” Roos’ shouted down the phone “GET BACK!!!”.. “We thought there was 3-4 minutes left” said Bernie. So what went wrong? Surely the coaches box knew how long was left, Roos looked like he did. Surely the runner had a chance to call out under a minute, surely one of the older Melbourne heads had the nouse to just fold back and block up some space. They say winning is a habit, no doubt losing is too.

In Adelaide Geelong used the Blicavs / Stanley tandem to great effect over Port and usual back half suspects Boris Enright ( 300th this week ) and Taylor held the back half together. Caddy, Motlop, Kersten and Guthrie all hit the score board making it less predictable than just booting it to Hawkins all the time. Caddy really is standing up as the next best behind the old stagers and he’s ably assisted by Murdoch and Lang slowly building with some game time under their belts.

This one does not look promising for Dees fans, I’m not sure I’d head down the highway for the last Sunday afternoon timeslot. Stay home, cook a roast and check in from time to time on what the damage is. My best guess is the roadt will be far more palatable than watching this one. Geelong by 56 points.

TTFWIW.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Re: Another little one...Round 12

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:34 pm

good preview booney.

I am hoping for a decent game tonight, but I am not confident we can pull off a win.

This day is dragging on soooo much though, just wanna get into town and get that first beer under the belt and see my team have a win
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby RustyCage » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:43 pm

Seeing that I'll be at the game on Saturday, put your money on Carlton.
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby JK » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:01 pm

RustyCage wrote:Seeing that I'll be at the game on Saturday, put your money on Carlton.

No chance mate, Power will romp this one in
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4461 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Spargo » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:45 pm

Can't see the Hawks dropping this one tonight.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5487 times
Been liked: 5126 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby saintal » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:21 pm

The power-ranger jumper is back. Horrid.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby kickinit » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:38 pm

Adelaide's defence need to tighten up or this one will be a blow out
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby Jim05 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:47 pm

kickinit wrote:Adelaide's defence need to tighten up or this one will be a blow out

Not all the defences' problem, ball going inside 50 way too much, mids need to tighten up the supply
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby helicopterking » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:52 pm

Impressive Helicopter by Talia. Not King like, but still good.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 667 times

Postby kickinit » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:56 pm

Jim05 wrote:
kickinit wrote:Adelaide's defence need to tighten up or this one will be a blow out

Not all the defences' problem, ball going inside 50 way too much, mids need to tighten up the supply

Too many loose players in their forward 50, even with the mids in there. Seem to tighten it up in the second half
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby kickinit » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:57 pm

Betts with 2 notable flops at qtr time
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:13 pm

If that was kicking in danger then they miss a lot of those every single week
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11854 times
Been liked: 3601 times

Postby stan » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:16 pm

kickinit wrote:Betts with 2 notable flops at qtr time

Don't know about that but the Hawks are going after him. Making him earn it.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1254 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Wedgie » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:18 pm

Well I made it till just past half way through the 2nd quarter before I had to turn it off in boredom.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Robran » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:24 pm

This is why hawks r the best at the trade they make it look so simple amazing footy side.. Jenkins needs to go back to sanfl level seriously crap .. And Cheney he have a good game not fn disposal is woeful..
GO THE COCKS
The mighty cocks 2018 premiers
Robran
League - Best 21

Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 189 times

Postby Fricky » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:32 pm

Crows skills are a fair way behind Hawthorn's. Too many times the crows could be heading into forward 50 only to cough it up.

And that is the reason why Wright should be delisted. Dud player with f all skills.
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby kickinit » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:38 pm

Suri wrote:Crows skills are a fair way behind Hawthorn's. Too many times the crows could be heading into forward 50 only to cough it up.

And that is the reason why Wright should be delisted. Dud player with f all skills.

Should delist jenkins before you delist wright
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby helicopterking » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:43 pm

Mitchell surely has to cop something for that knee into Walker. Accidental or not, it's reckless and caused injury.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 667 times

Postby Fricky » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:43 pm

kickinit wrote:
Suri wrote:Crows skills are a fair way behind Hawthorn's. Too many times the crows could be heading into forward 50 only to cough it up.

Should delist jenkins before you delist wright

Not in m mind. I still dont know how Wright gets picked every week.

Jenkins' skill level isnt flash but for a big guy he can move well and kick goals from 50 out. I think that the expectations of little guys re skills is a lot higher than the big men, but Wright consistently falls short for me.
Fricky
League - Best 21

Postby Fricky » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:44 pm

helicopterking wrote:Mitchell surely has to cop something for that knee into Walker. Accidental or not, it's reckless and caused injury.

He shouldnt. In slow mo it looks a little deliberate but i doubt the MRP will find anything in it.
Fricky
League - Best 21

Next

Board index   Football  AFL