Round 15 and we're into the home stretch

Talk on the national game

Round 15 and we're into the home stretch

Postby Booney » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:37 am

While many things have been said and written about Phil Walsh over the last week, all of it so positive, none of it has been as positive as the reaction and the genuine caring nature shown from the wider football family. From the post match gesture Friday night that Al Clarkson ( a close ally of Walsh’s ) organised through to the discussion this would have created among families all over the country we can all be very proud of the way this terrible tragedy has been handled by those directly affected by it and those who have been touched by it.

To those who are directly affected by it, the Walsh family, the Adelaide Football Club across all levels, the people who Phil had become a great friend and mentor to over his all to brief journey in football,we say we are sorry. You have our deepest most sincere condolences. All I can think is hopefully this has made us all closer to family and given us all reason to be thankful for what we have and do everything we can to keep it just that way.

R.I.P Phil and may your family and friends find the strength to get through this.

Aaaaaaaand off we go again with Thursday night footy, Adelaide Oval gets it’s second taste of Thursday night action and it’s Port Adelaide hosting the hot ‘Pies. In what will be a very emotional return to the field for Port Adelaide this week in front of their home crowd it will also be a stern test against a Collingwood outfit that has been so close yet so far in recent weeks against the competitions best.

A 7 point loss to Fremantle away and a 10 point loss to the Hawks at the G after burning some opportunities really sets the ‘Pies up as one of the form teams of the comp, albeit with back to back losses. Astute judges though will say that both losses were against sides set to be there or thereabouts in the last weeks of the year.

Port on the other hand had a depleted Sydney side on the ropes and with pretty much only themselves to blame they burnt the ball far to often in the middle and back half of the ground and came home with a 10 point loss to add to the “L” column on the ladder. A familiar sight for frustrated Port fans in 2015.

Witts gets the ball moving for Collingwood in the ruck, Pendlebury is just red hot after 37 touches, 10 clearances and 10 tackles last week, with Bottom Steeleside, Crisp, Williams and Varcoe playing some of his best footy for years helping get the ball down to a potent forward half. Port on the other hand can only boast patchy form from a handful of players in recent weeks. Individuals have been inconsistent and as such the side has had no confidence or run for some time. Again, last week, there were patches of form but when Port drop off of late they drop right off. Sides score quickly and heavily in a sign Port are not applying themselves mentally as they should.

Thursday night looks like it will be cold and wet, showers forecast ( in Tony Greig voice ) for the night. Won’t be a high scoring one because of it. Collingwood should get the job done, Port might have other things on their mind, it might rally them together. ‘Pies too hot at the moment, by 17 points.

Friday night footy hasn’t really been the same since Carlton stopped getting flogged and Richmond started to string impressive wins together. 8 weeks ago this would have been a dead set raffle, not quite as hard to predict this time around but far from a certainty.

The Tigers have been very impressive of late but they still have the ability to make their fans look the other way. With 15 minutes to go the under manned GWS lads had them, then in the blink of an eye it was the Tigers 3 goals clear. Carlton were scrappy at best against the Bulldogs, not sure if that’s how both coaches wanted it played, in the end it was an average spectacle at best. 9 goals to 7 and it wasn’t one to send to your mates overseas to catch up on modern footy.

Richmond should hold sway here, losing Mullet Maric isn’t perfect for them and Kruezer and Wood should make the most the most of his absence in the ruck duels. The usual midfield subjects for Richmond should be the difference here, while Carlton’s midfield is growing, it isn’t as deep as Richmonds. Or, is this the week the Richmond lads drop one? Love him or hate him Jack Reiwoldt looks to have really matured this year and is leading the way in the F50 for the Tigers. He’s in great nick. Richmond, by 27 points.

I’ve been saying for weeks the Bombers are shot, I picked St Kilda to beat them ( by 4 points ) but crickey, I didn’t see that walloping coming! They really smacked the Bombers up and the Bombers rolled over and took it. They lose their skipper for the season with a shoulder, hardly what they needed, the one bloke who has stood strong going down. Mind you, the skipper looked like he was finally breaking under the strain.

Melbourne again had their midfield to thank for keeping them in it against the Weagles in Darwin. 20+ touches from Cross, Watts, Tyson, Vince and Jones along with more tackles than the Eagles and they were in it until half way through the second stanza. From there, 11 goals to 4 and the Eagles took over. It was just a case of the best team winning that one. Melbourne showed some fight but were outclassed.

The big questions here, can the Bombers muster up any sort of effort to bring to the table from now on? I can’t see how. It really has ground them down but mind you 3 years of negative press and constant speculation about your future has to take it’s toll. They need to show something this week, they need to show some fight after last weeks debacle.

Can Jim hold on until the end of the year? Depends what his lawyers have said to Mr.Little and co. Also depends on how much of the folding pocket filler the Bombers would be prepared to pay out to give him the arse. If they do boot him, it’ll be in and out of court more often than a honeymooners love stick.

The Dees mids are firing consistently, their big men are competing and their defence does its best week in week out, led by McDonald, Garland and Cross. Essendon are a rabble, the coach is under more pressure (can you believe it!) than ever before and the playing group look like they’re running with concrete boots in quick sand. Melbourne by 32 points.

The Doggies and the Suns both come into this one with winning form. Scrappy (not Scooby’s little brother) affair with the Dogs over the Blues last week and the Suns surprised many by giving the Kangaroos a hiding on the Coast.

The little bald man with a hairy face came back into the Suns line up like he never left, 30 touches and three goals from the little master. Speaking of little, they don’t come any little’er than the bloke the Dogs unleashed on the AFL, Caleb Daniel. The helmeted little bloke is Boomer Harvey height and Damien Oliver weight. SA based fans know him from his South Adelaide days where he was a solid contributor and size was never going to be against him with his work ethic and willingness to compete.

So how do you read the form of the sides coming into this one? Might as well be in braille as I’ve got no clue on how to read this one. The Suns have got a spine again with May, Day, Ablett, Lynch and Dixon forming a backbone to build on, Swallow added to the midfield and big Charlie Dixon took advantage of some supply to the forward line snaffling 7 sausage rolls. The Dogs scoring has dried up, 9 goals, (bye) 22 (over Brisbane) and 9 goals in each of the last two weeks, not great. Neither side can hit the scoreboard heavily with any consistency. Might be the first to 10 wins it.

The Suns really are a different side with Gaz back in it, damning for them to be so reliant on one player, then again, he’s a once in a generation player. I think they’ll continue on their winning way, Gold Coast by 21 points in a low scoring affair.

In the striped corner the Kangas, dear oh dear, up and down like a pair of Paris Hiltons underwear. What is it with them? One minute they’re holding firm against the Weagles, the next they’re rolling over to the bottom side. How frustrating are they? In the hooped corner, the Catters. With the Walsh tragedy unfolding in Adelaide last Friday the AFL rightly cancelled the Adelaide v Geelong fixture and because if this the Cats, coming off their bye, haven’t played since June 21 when the Dee’s upset them at Sleepy Hollow. It’s seems like ages ago, because it is.

This means we’ve got the Kangas coming off a loss to the bottom side and needing a win to keep any finals hopes alive and the Catters coming off a 3 week break. Like the last match, how can you read this one with any confidence? After a rare VFL outing Jimmy Bartel looks like he’ll make his long awaited return from a knee / infection, big Dawson Simpson might also return to add to their ruck stocks and Kelly and Smedts will be close. The Roos will probably bring Ben Brown back in after being dropped and kicking 4 goals, while Majak Daw will be dropped after getting 4 kicks.

The Kangas need more from their inconsistent forwards in Waite and Petrie who both only have 20 goals to date ( Waite has missed one match ) which isn’t a great return from the two key big men and they face the league’s most experienced back half who hold firm most weeks. Higgins and Thomas are acting as the leading goal kickers at Arden St. That won’t win you finals, let alone get you there.

Can’t back the Roos. Geelong by 28 points.

In what will be a must watch for all footy fans West Coast take on Adelaide in the West. Phil Walsh has left an impression on both of these clubs, on the playing groups, the coaching staff and supporters and this will be as emotion charged as a game of footy has ever, ever been. It does feel strange thinking football will give the players a chance to focus on something other than the terrible tragedy and it will, for moments in time. Each player will deal with it in his own way, some will be able to slip the game face on and play as they would have any other given week, some will struggle from time to time and some may not have the mindset to even put the boots on. It’s unthinkable the pain the Adelaide playing group must be experiencing. The confusion, the sense of loss, the sense of what might have been.

The very clear message from West Lakes this week is the message will remain the same, the message Walsh first delivered to the coaches and players will remain the same. Team first. Team. First. This is where these blokes will find the strength, as a team. Care for each other, on the field, care by running to create space for a team mate to take advantage of, care by “going” when it’s your turn.

Who knows what will happen Saturday night, who knows how the players will be able to cope. It almost seems inconceivable to think who scores the most goals will be a winner on the night, for none of them will feel like they’ve won a thing. West Coast by 21 points.

GWS nearly pulled off their second big upset of the season when they pushed the Tigers for 3 ½ quarters at the G last week, they ultimately ran out of legs as the Tiger train got up to full steam while St Kilda had a massive win over the hapless Essington. 450 disposals, 60 Inside 50’s and 25 goals. The Saints were marching in that’s for sure.

Not all that long ago GWS were 7-3 and looking like they would give their legion of fans something to do in September but decimated by injury in the last 3 weeks they have slipped from 4th to 9th and appear to be heading in the wrong direction. One of their issues is key back men and this isn’t great news when they face the side who are third in the competition for marks inside F50. Membrey and Bruce are developing as genuine options which gives Riewoldt room to move for the first time in about 10 years. As such he’s back to some of his best footy in some years.

The Giants lost almost all the stats that matter last weekend, and the one that really matters, on the scoreboard, after the Tigers kicked 6 of the last 7 goals. The Saints simply had no opposition as the Bombers folded and the Saints enjoyed their biggest ever win over the Dons. With that confidence behind them I think the Saints will make it two on the trot, by 19 points.

Premiership fancies Hawthorn and Fremantle battle down in Tassie where the forecast for Sunday is max 10° with a chance of 60% chance of penguins and polar bears. In a similar fixture a couple of years ago the Dockers made a record 11 changes to their side and as such lost the fixture. With them sitting on top of the table two games clear at 12-1 ( and with this being written on Wednesday night ) I expect them to again be conscious of player management and keep some big bodied big names at home in Perth.

The Hawks are all thinking of the big Ginger Roughead who after having a melanoma removed from his bottom lip is still a week or two from returning. This would have, in normal circumstances, been massive news but the events that unfolded in Adelaide over shadowed this. We all hope the big melon is back out there sooner rather than later, he looks like a ripping bloke and he’s a special talent on field. Best wish to the big fella.

This one is impossible to look at from a player personnel point of view, Fremantle will likely make plenty of changes and the Hawks might take a chance to do the same. I’ll go the Hawks by 23 points. I don’t know how.

In the last of the weekends fixtures the Bears host the Swans. Good programming by the AFL here. Brisbane played on Perth Sunday twilight and Sydney played on the Thursday night meaning one side gets a 5 day break after travelling home and the other gets 9 days. Even better it’s the bottom placed Bears on the short turn around against the top 4 Swans.

Hard to see how the Bears who are the lowest scoring side can muster up a winning score and hard to see them holding the Swans, the Bears concede more than any other side. Hmmmm.....

The Bears have lost 5 in a row, the Swans are a game clear in third and two games clear of fifth. They will sure up their spot in the top 4 this weekend.

I expect some big numbers this weekend from the Swans mid and small forward, if you’ve elected to give up normal life and do Super Coach or Dream Team stuff you might want to load up on Swans, not Dane Swan’s, this weekend. If you do do your Super Coach, Dream Team stuff and you’ve read this take a moment to look away from your phone or PC and say “Hi” to your significant other, kids and mates.

Sydney easily. By 59 points.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Re: Round 15 and we're into the home stretch

Postby marbles » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:23 am

Jonathon Patton of GWS is certainly looking very pleased with his return to the ressies this week, after a years lay off from injury

marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:34 am

Great write up as always booney.

Tough week for tipping this week. Plenty of games that could go either way.

Pies should win easily given the form lines of these two clubs but this is the perfect game for port to get their season back on track. I've tipped Collingwood by 8 points, reckon it will be close.

Just when we thought we have had too much Richmond and Carlton on a Friday, they play each other :)

Richmond to win by 10 goals though. Honeymoon period worn off he blues.

Melbourne Essendon is another tough game to tip. Melbourne should win though.

Dogs Suns in cairns. Flip a coin! Dogs for me but once again not confident.

How the hell do you tip the North Geelong game? Toss another coin?

I have tipped Geelong but I dunno. They have had a 20 day break which should have them primed. Or it could have them lethargic. Shit I dunno.

I just really hope the crows put up a good fight. I don't really care if they win, I don't expect them to, but I expect the first quarter to be ferocious. West coast will run over us in the end but I wouldn't be surprised if we are in front at the last change.

GWS st Kilda is another flip of the bloody coin. st Kilda playing some pretty good footy at the moment but GWS need a win to keep their finals hopes alive. Without a super dominant ruckman to hurt GWS I reckon they will win in a close one

Reckon you are spot on about freo boon, though the fact that it is still not long after the bye might mean they rest less players than normal. Wouldn't surprise me if pav has a week off though. Hawks by 6 goals.

In the only sure thing of the week, Sydney by 10 goals
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Q. » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:41 am

I fear we might drop our intensity that we brought to the Freo & Hawks games.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Fricky » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:04 pm

Port v Pies Pies are playing some good footy and will win by a few goals
Rich v Carl Hopefully its a cracker of a game with both sides in some good form.
Ess v Melb Melbourne need to bring the intensity they showed against Geelong and they will win. A lot of players at Ess need to front up after their dismal performance last week. If Ess are getting smashed I suspect Goddard will get so frustrated he will throw a wild haymaker at someone, it might be at Hird :lol: .
WB v Suns Good to see the Suns confirm they are a one man team. The warmer weather of Cairns wont help the Dogs either.
NM v Gee Gut feel really
WCE v Adel Putting aside the devastating event, WCE are better at the moment. It would be a pretty big upset if the Crows could pull this one off and it would go down as one of the greatest wins in sporting history.
GWS v StK Saints are playing some really good footy and should beat the Giants in a good game.
Haw v Freo Hawks play Tassie better than anyone else, have they lost a game there?
BL v Syd Buddy and Tippett back, one of them to kick a massive bag while the other will continue to show he is the most overpaid footballer in the league.
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:21 pm

Suri wrote:Port v Pies Pies are playing some good footy and will win by a few goals
Rich v Carl Hopefully its a cracker of a game with both sides in some good form.
Ess v Melb Melbourne need to bring the intensity they showed against Geelong and they will win. A lot of players at Ess need to front up after their dismal performance last week. If Ess are getting smashed I suspect Goddard will get so frustrated he will throw a wild haymaker at someone, it might be at Hird :lol: .
WB v Suns Good to see the Suns confirm they are a one man team. The warmer weather of Cairns wont help the Dogs either.
NM v Gee Gut feel really
WCE v Adel Putting aside the devastating event, WCE are better at the moment. It would be a pretty big upset if the Crows could pull this one off and it would go down as one of the greatest wins in sporting history.
GWS v StK Saints are playing some really good footy and should beat the Giants in a good game.
Haw v Freo Hawks play Tassie better than anyone else, have they lost a game there?
BL v Syd Buddy and Tippett back, one of them to kick a massive bag while the other will continue to show he is the most overpaid footballer in the league.

Ha, I went 4 different. Should be a good round for movement on some tipsters boards.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby JK » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:23 pm

Will be mixing and matching my tips across comps this weekend, but probably still be miles off it.

Port v Pies - Gut feel is Collingwood should win, but I'll be tipping Port in comps where I'm behind
Rich v Carl - Tiger train in full swing, should continue. Expect Carlton to provide a bit of nuisance value.
Ess v Melb - The games Melbourne are expected to win are the ones that worry you most. Expect a response from Essendon after last weeks debacle. Dee's should win, but will tip Bombers in some comps.
WB v Suns Genjine flip of the coin game. The Doggies have been great, but the Suns look resurgent with the maestro back and have the tall forwards to trouble the Bullies, so Suns for me.
NM v Geel Going for the Roos here. Expect a response from them and thought they comfortably had the Cats measure last time around.
WCE v Adel Expect Adelaide to be brave and thereabouts at some stage, but the Eagles have been super impressive and I expect them to get the choccies at home.
GWS v Saints - Another flip of the coin. Tipping GWS in comps Im near the lead and Saints in those Im behind.
Haw v Freo Hard to go past the Hawks at their home away from home.
BL v Syd Swans to waltz it in.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:51 pm

Essendon will win against Melbourne. Dees played at Darwin last week and never back up well from these games.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:57 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:Essendon will win against Melbourne. Dees played at Darwin last week and never back up well from these games.

regards,

REB

But Essendon played someone and they don't back up well from these games either.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Jim05 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:38 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:Essendon will win against Melbourne. Dees played at Darwin last week and never back up well from these games.

regards,

REB

Doubt it, cue is firmly in the rack. Think you will see a heap of kids playing in the remainder of the season. Josh Schache Cup awaits
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Grahaml » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:55 pm

Jim05 wrote:

regards,

REB

Doubt it, cue is firmly in the rack. Think you will see a heap of kids playing in the remainder of the season. Josh Schache Cup awaits

It's a harsh and unjust world. As a reward for being one of the best and brightest football talents in the country you get to go to Essendon.

Poor kid.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby RustyCage » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:44 pm

regards,

REB

Hard to tell if it's the darwin trip that takes it out of the Dees the next week resulting in the loss or if it's the Dees being the Dees that results in the loss
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:00 pm

RustyCage wrote:

regards,

REB

Hard to tell if it's the darwin trip that takes it out of the Dees the next week resulting in the loss or if it's the Dees being the Dees that results in the loss

Both are a factor Rusty. I'd say watch the Eagles but who knows what the Crows are going to do for the rest of the year.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:36 pm

super confident the cats will beat the Roos this time, we were never in any form to beat them last time out, and despite the loss to the Dees, we are primed to absolutely pump the Roos
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:09 pm

Bartlel, Kelly and Simpson back for the Cats.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2021 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:18 pm

Wedgie wrote:Bartlel, Kelly and Simpson back for the Cats.

This is the reason i am tipping them
bennymacca
Coach

Postby stan » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:36 pm

I love Swanny guys. Hes a fat blob that is a footballer and not an athlete and never pretended to be anything else. Loves the piss and getting hammered and in the end doesnt give a ****.

Sent from my GT-I9197 using Tapatalk
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:44 pm

stan wrote:I love Swanny guys. Hes a fat blob that is a footballer and not an athlete and never pretended to be anything else. Loves the piss and getting hammered and in the end doesnt give a ****.

Yeah isn't a super athlete but just knows where to run.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby helicopterking » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:06 pm

Jessie White is almost comical in every situation.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 666 times

Postby cracka » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:15 pm

stan wrote:I love Swanny guys. Hes a fat blob that is a footballer and not an athlete and never pretended to be anything else. Loves the piss and getting hammered and in the end doesnt give a ****.

Would be just about everyone's favourite player not from the team they support.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Next

Board index   Football  AFL