Pick up of the year

Talk on the national game

Pick up of the year

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:05 am

Who has been the best pick up for the year? In saying that, I mean someone who switched teams.
Taylor Adams and Travis Varcoe both seem to have lifted to a new level.
Dayne Beams was always good but it hasn't really helped the Lions any.

There seem to be plenty that have found themselves on the injury list.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Re: Pick up of the year

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:09 am

This is Tay Tay's second year with us, LM.
A much-improved year, nonetheless.

I've had to change my tune on Varcoe. At Geelong, I thought he was a soft, outside runner with inconsistency ruling his game (as, I think did most Cats supporters). But he has been exceptional for us this year - his tackling top notch. However, I always watch the second year of a recruit with much more interest - will they still maintain the fire?

Jack Crisp, who was involved in the Beams trade has been pretty good for us and a surprise. However, his past month has been a bit quiet, not that he's on his Pat Malone there.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:11 am

Dogwatcher wrote:This is Tay Tay's second year with us, LM.

I've had to change my tune on Varcoe. At Geelong, I thought he was a soft, outside runner with inconsistency ruling his game (as, I think did most Cats supporters). But he has been exceptional for us this year - his tackling top notch. However, I always watch the second year of a recruit with much more interest - will they still maintain the fire?

Jack Crisp, who was involved in the Beams trade has been pretty good for us and a surprise. However, his past month has been a bit quiet, not that he's on his Pat Malone there.

Yeah, I should extend it to 2nd year players, there hasn't been a lot this season but there seems to be plenty that are in their second season, Yeo springs to mind.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby JK » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:27 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:This is Tay Tay's second year with us, LM.

Yeah, I should extend it to 2nd year players, there hasn't been a lot this season but there seems to be plenty that are in their second season, Yeo springs to mind.

Varcoe, Vince, , Crisp, Betts (if you're including 2nd year)
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:29 am

How good has Vince been?
Like Maric, I've never been able to fathom the Crows moving him on.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Footy Smart » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:52 am

Dogwatcher wrote:How good has Vince been?

Bernie was a victim of circumstance and his value at AFC was very different to that of MFC. Iam stoked that he is doing well. If we didnt have the trade sanctions from the Tippet saga, id suggest he would still be at AFC. I think him changing clubs has certainly matured him as a footballer. Its great to see.

As for Maric, once again his opportunity at another club was greater than 2nd ruck at Adelaide.

Often a change of environment gets the best out of a player
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:12 pm

Footy Smart wrote:

Bernie was a victim of circumstance and his value at AFC was very different to that of MFC. Iam stoked that he is doing well. If we didnt have the trade sanctions from the Tippet saga, id suggest he would still be at AFC. I think him changing clubs has certainly matured him as a footballer. Its great to see.

As for Maric, once again his opportunity at another club was greater than 2nd ruck at Adelaide.

Often a change of environment gets the best out of a player

For sure. There's been a long list over recent years, I've been most impressed with Wellingham lately.
Stefan Martin I always thought was handy when he was at Melbourne, he has a huge motor for a ruckman.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:53 pm

GAGF Varcoe. When he played for us he was lazy as a Cat on valium and wouldn't chase or lay a tackle and couldn't kick a goal for shit. Now he is relentless in his tackling, his second efforts have been awesome and his goal sense has improved out of sight. Could have done that in the hoops you ****. That's two years in a row this bloke has made me tear my hair out LOL.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Footy Smart » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:58 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:GAGF Varcoe. When he played for us he was lazy as a Cat on valium and wouldn't chase or lay a tackle and couldn't kick a goal for shit. Now he is relentless in his tackling, his second efforts have been awesome and his goal sense has improved out of sight. Could have done that in the hoops you ****. That's two years in a row this bloke has made me tear my hair out LOL.

regards,

REB

Another player like Bernie and Maric who have thrived at the second club. They are made to earn respect of a new playing group.
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:14 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:GAGF Varcoe. When he played for us he was lazy as a Cat on valium and wouldn't chase or lay a tackle and couldn't kick a goal for shit. Now he is relentless in his tackling, his second efforts have been awesome and his goal sense has improved out of sight. Could have done that in the hoops you ****. That's two years in a row this bloke has made me tear my hair out LOL.

regards,

REB

Trav became lazy, he was full of beans for his first few seasons, his injury -prone body was a problem though.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby David Brent » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:16 pm

Crisp, Patfull & Bruce off the top of my head have had a good influence on their teams. Patfull was probably the only one with expectations also..
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby am Bays » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:50 pm

regards,

REB

How quickly they forget

Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby Spargo » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:00 pm

Higgins has been great for us, all class.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5478 times
Been liked: 5119 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:03 pm

am Bays wrote:

regards,

REB

How quickly they forget

Had $20 on him at 15's that day
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Stumps » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:55 pm

thats because they didnt move him on. Chose a two year contract whereas crows would only offer 1.
Stumps....
Stumps
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 45 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:57 pm

Stumps wrote:

thats because they didnt move him on. Chose a two year contract whereas crows would only offer 1.

Offering only one year at his age was effectively moving him on.
But I can change the wording to "letting him go", if you like.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Stumps » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:15 pm

fair enough. I get a bit sensitive about this because a lot of crows people think he was absolutely shafted by the crows. At that point in time he was playing average footy and looked slow in our team he is clearly not in the crows next premiership side so 2 years would have seemed alot the way he was playing. In the end you could say the crows stuffed up but would he have been playing the same sort of footy here? not sure.
Stumps....
Stumps
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 45 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:23 pm

Stumps wrote:fair enough. I get a bit sensitive about this because a lot of crows people think he was absolutely shafted by the crows. At that point in time he was playing average footy and looked slow in our team he is clearly not in the crows next premiership side so 2 years would have seemed alot the way he was playing. In the end you could say the crows stuffed up but would he have been playing the same sort of footy here? not sure.

He wasn't a shadow of the player he has been at Richmond, he must've had a good hard look in the mirror.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby nuggety goodness » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:47 pm

Spargo wrote:Higgins has been great for us, all class.

This was my nomination. He was always good but couldnt stay on the park, this tear he is injury free and playing great footy.
I am not talking to you for 3 minutes because you punched me in the head and it hurt and that was not okay for you to do
nuggety goodness
League - Top 5

Has liked: 329 times
Been liked: 219 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby daysofourlives » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:29 pm

regards,

REB

Cmon REB, he almost got you over the line in the 2013 Prelim ;)
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Next

Board index   Football  AFL