R17: South v Adelaide Saturday 8 August @ Hickinbotham

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: R17: South v Adelaide Saturday 8 August @ Hickinbotham

Postby wristwatcher » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:51 pm

PhilH wrote:To be balanced this was a rescheduled match
BUT
with a decent amount of notice I was surprised there was nothing but silence and maybe 100-200 people around 90 mins before the match.

Have no fear, next week the Crows curtain raiser will be FULL ON ... 24 teams playing 48 games over 4 mini ovals in a MWJFL u8, U9 & U10 Lightning Carnival.

When I turned up at 12.30pm and there was no SANFL staff, just a South volunteer at the main car park gate (not the match day one), I had a sudden chill go down my spine wondering if I had turned up at the right oval.

I have heard it's a magnificent day. Just don't try and get a showbag if you are a grown up ;)
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 846 times

Postby Wedgie » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:04 pm

wristwatcher wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Well done to the two Crows supporters at the game abusing 2 18 yo South volunteer female trainers inappropriately. I expect Tex to be on the radio or in the paper this week whinging about them unless he's a complete ******* dickhead hypocrite.
The sooner we get this scum out of our comp the better.

Rapists and murderers are scum. Football clubs are not. Just because you don't like it or agree with it does not make them scum.

Bullshit, grown men that make inappropriate and rude remarks from the sanctity of the outer where noone else is to abuse young ladies just running water with no banter involved are scum, you and I must have different standards, bet the pricks wouldn't have the balls to do it near me and if they did I'd knock their blocks off.
The SANFL needs volunteers, this scum are doing more to kill our comp than enhance it.

No problem with that and dare I say "gulp" I agree with you on that one. Thought you wanted the Crows Reserves out the comp as a whole and they were the scum. Hardly their fault what two pathetic individuals do.

I don't know the specifics of the incident but unprovoked abuse of volunteers is completely unacceptable. No arguments on that one.

All good mate, I was just a bit fired up as one of them was my daughter, luckily she has more common sense and maturity than her old man and just ignored them.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:49 am

Bit late as im reading yesterday paper

but did the crows have 17 afl listed players yesterday???
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11850 times
Been liked: 3601 times

Postby PhilH » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:54 am

Against South the Crows played
11 players from AFL Senior List
4 players from AFL Rookie List ................. 15 AFL Listed Players
1 Leadership Player (Ian Callinan)
5 Development Squad Players
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:07 am

Cheers Phil
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby goddy11 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:13 am

southee wrote:
saintal wrote:
PhilH wrote:Official Crowd - 1,441

No curtain raiser was scheduled, which made for a very strange atmosphere when we turned up about 12.30pm to set up radio gear.

Hard to get a read on crowds the past few years, especially these Ravens games.

1441 ??? Looked smaller than that !! Car park in the outer was pretty empty in parts.

Don't get me wrong, but I continually read about the low crowds at all the crows and power games. Lets face it the crows were technically the away team. Its about time all our clubs look at themselves and find out where their supporters are. I am an Eagles supporter but was out at Willunga yesterday to watch the Pongy's play. The crowd there probably matched South's crowd. In 25 years , the Panthers have made little crowd impact in a vast exclusive area.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 564 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby Wedgie » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:19 am

Don't blame South, they're one of only two teams we can't blame for the decline of the SANFL.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby goddy11 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:30 am

Wedgie wrote:Don't blame South, they're one of only two teams we can't blame for the decline of the SANFL.

I know and although its the wrong topic to wine about the 2 AFL clubs, we as a total football community need to get on with the game. I love the SANFL and agree its status has declined. When the questionnaire came out from the Eagle on the inclusion of the 2 teams I voted no like many but the club did not take notice. Its happened. Move on. We need to be careful what we wish for.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Postby Wedgie » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:55 am

goddy11 wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Don't blame South, they're one of only two teams we can't blame for the decline of the SANFL.

I know and although its the wrong topic to wine about the 2 AFL clubs, we as a total football community need to get on with the game. I love the SANFL and agree its status has declined. When the questionnaire came out from the Eagle on the inclusion of the 2 teams I voted no like many but the club did not take notice. Its happened. Move on. We need to be careful what we wish for.

As a football community we need to ensure they're kicked out of the comp before it dies.
Moving on is not an option if we love the SANFL.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby goddy11 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:38 am

How are they actually killing the comp? Apart from last year when the aligned players moved to the AFL sides. You get an additional home game when you play the crows. Port still pockets its home game profits. They have top up players from country leagues. They pay an annual fee to SANFL. They are strong teams and their salary cap is an issue. The way this was worked out probably should have been looked at. At least we have television matches on 7 as 2 pulled out. I feel personally the decision to admit them was wrong and funny that a few SANFL people in place at the time have moved into AFL positions (funny that).

"Moving on is the only option if we love the SANFL."
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Postby Jim05 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:49 am

goddy11 wrote:How are they actually killing the comp? Apart from last year when the aligned players moved to the AFL sides. You get an additional home game when you play the crows. Port still pockets its home game profits. They have top up players from country leagues. They pay an annual fee to SANFL. They are strong teams and their salary cap is an issue. The way this was worked out probably should have been looked at. At least we have television matches on 7 as 2 pulled out. I feel personally the decision to admit them was wrong and funny that a few SANFL people in place at the time have moved into AFL positions (funny that).

Moving on isnt an option.
They ARE killing the comp. Fans dont want to go and watch these two teams play and they definately dont want to see them successful. They are killing the comp by playing with a salary cap 20 times more than the SANFL clubs, they are killing the comp because they are full time professionals with all the resources and luxuries afforded to them.
I for one hope the crowds keep on falling.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:09 pm

Yep....clubs get an additional home match v crows

but people dont go

so how do clubs benefit?
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby RustyCage » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:03 pm

That's the clubs supporters fault.
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby RB » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:34 pm

goddy11 wrote:How are they actually killing the comp? Apart from last year when the aligned players moved to the AFL sides. You get an additional home game when you play the crows. Port still pockets its home game profits. They have top up players from country leagues. They pay an annual fee to SANFL. They are strong teams and their salary cap is an issue. The way this was worked out probably should have been looked at. At least we have television matches on 7 as 2 pulled out. I feel personally the decision to admit them was wrong and funny that a few SANFL people in place at the time have moved into AFL positions (funny that).

In my opinion, you don't just 'move on' after a mistake - you try to rectify it. One of the sickeningly inevitable facets of this whole reserves farce has been the total lack of accountability of the league directors who made a very dumb decision.

The reserves teams are a cancer on the league and need to be removed ASAP (although I fear that the damage has more or less been done). Once/if they are removed then we can think about 'moving on'.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 766 times
Been liked: 1075 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:00 pm

RustyCage wrote:That's the clubs supporters fault.

Bollocks it is

club supporters/members want a fair and equitable comp
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby goddy11 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:38 pm

RB wrote:

In my opinion, you don't just 'move on' after a mistake - you try to rectify it. One of the sickeningly inevitable facets of this whole reserves farce has been the total lack of accountability of the league directors who made a very dumb decision.

The reserves teams are a cancer on the league and need to be removed ASAP (although I fear that the damage has more or less been done). Once/if they are removed then we can think about 'moving on'.

My point exactly. The damage has been done, How does the SANFL get fixed. Getting rid of 2 sides is no plan.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Postby therisingblues » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:55 pm

I don't think we'll get any better leaving the cancer in.
Removal is the first step. Then a vigorous marketing campaign which emphasizes the importance of the SANFL as part of our historical suburban identity needs to be launched. I'd focus said campaign on a slogan of"real football" or something of the like, with catch phrases like "they played for the jumper", or "when there was nought left but heart, their forefathers held their ground against their hostile neighbors"... Just off the top of my head, I'm sure a marketing type could come up with lots of good stuff to reconnect the SANFL with its roots, emphasizing the honesty of the comp, it's attachment to the very streets we walk and its grand history. I believe the reapplication of the original values should go a long way of reversing the scourge of reserves boot camp from the comp's image.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby gadj1976 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:02 pm

#SANFLgoinggangbusters

Almost time to wind the whole thing up.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby shoe boy » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:09 am

No curtain raiser was scheduled, which made for a very strange atmosphere when we turned up about 12.30pm to set up radio gear.

Not surprised that down the road M/Vale v Reynella had a larger crowd.
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Booney » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:36 am

Wedgie wrote:
goddy11 wrote:

As a football community we need to ensure they're kicked out of the comp before it dies.
Moving on is not an option if we love the SANFL.

It is for some.

Dutchy wrote:
saintal wrote:You were going well until the relegation idea. 8) Clubs need to be held accountable by their members. Do enough people care anymore though..?

But yes, something has to change rather quickly, although many will suggest the horse has already bolted..

Correct....I went and gave the club my opinion before the vote, they didn't listen to me or others, while I would have a lot more interest and would attend games if the AFL teams were out, Ive found other things to do and its no longer a priority of mine.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL