Australian cricket & the future

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Australian cricket & the future

Postby Sharksta » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:07 pm

The average age of the squad we sent over for the ashes was 31.

I tried to google because actually working it out myself was going to be way too much work but I suspect the average age of our shield cricketers continues to increase because so does the money. Guys who used to have to move on if they didn't make it to the top echelon used to retire & "get a real job". Now those same guys make a good living at shield level & as 20/20 journeymen & now maintain their place on the lists for as long as they can.

I recognise that it's up to young guys to force their way in which made me question what is the role of the cricket centre of excellence - formerly the cricket academy. There's a new crop of young fellows going through there each year so where are they going? I can't help but think back to when the academy was based in Adelaide & we saw the Pontings, Laws, Langers, etc all emerging from it & making immediate impressions

I came across this article which whilst it's from 2013 makes some interesting points

http://mobile.news.com.au/sport/cricket ... 6749977316

It seems to me that Cricket Australia has taken their eye off the ball in regards to development & future planning in chasing the sponsorship & TV right cash.

Anyway ..... Fire away - what's working, what's not, & where to from here ???
Sharksta
Rookie

Has liked: 476 times
Been liked: 58 times

Re: Australian cricket & the future

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:03 pm

Well it's time to turf out Dads Army for a start. Debuting guys at Voges' age is ridiculous. The only 'Dad' I'd stick with for the immediate future would be Rogers and Johnson. Clarke, been a great player but clearly shot. Marsh, thanks for coming. Ditto Voges, Watson and Haddin. I'd leave Steve Smith at 3.

On the Academy thing I'd move it back to Adelaide where it belongs. The Adelaide district scene is a joke so by having Academy players filling in temporarily for the Redbacks like Bevan, Alley and Berry did makes it harder for the locals to get into the Shield side. Let's reduce that particular revolving door and get the Academy back to what it should be doing.

The Shield is a worry as well. T20 has dead set killed it. No shield cricket during January means you stick with Dads army types during the test series as the young blokes have very little time to press their claims.

Have an age limit at the Big Bash. Make it for old bastards only. Get the young players playing Shield Cricket IN JANUARY. Space out the tests rather than having blocks. These guys are professional cricketers. Having the series over by January 3 is a joke.

Teeball is poison to Test Cricket, because of the apparent inability of some of our batsmen to develop an innings and for the carnage that it causes in the domestic programming. Remove the blocks, make Big Bash a retirement home or a showcase for more experienced cricketers and let the young players develop their games at the long level with an actual chance of forcing their way into the Australia Day test (in Adelaide).

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:15 pm

Agree with most of that REB, except I've got faith Clarke still has some good cricket in him, and I'd have Smith at 4 or 5.
Shield cricket in mid Dec-January will also help spinners with their games
I might be caught out on numbers here, but get the test and "A" squad bowlers playing more Shield games, particularly in October and November, not overseas p!ssing around with some 20-20 tournament.
And I know we've played a few four-dayers before these tests, but always play four day tour games, whether away or here, whether state or "A" sides, p!ss off the three-dayers.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:43 pm

You make some good points, sharksta, especially querying where all these youngsters end up. The early 90's saw a lot of young players coming through the Shield system, and then the best making their mark a few years later at test level. Is it just coincidence that all that talent came through at one time? The influence of WSC and subsequent jingoism into the '80s?

Greg Chappell was always one for getting the youngsters in there early, I wonder if Rod Marsh had a similar philosophy and influence, given he then was instrumental in turning English cricket around. Think it was Marsh who said he thought Kim Hughes and Ponting were good enough as 16 yo's to play Test cricket.

We still need the older experienced players in Shield cricket, but not the "list-cloggers" like some of those Victorians mentioned and some we've had here, only bring them in if they're outstanding leaders.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:19 pm

Test cricket in general will struggle to find players when T20 is the money circus it currently is.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby tigerpie » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:33 pm

20/20 is killing test cricket. Our bowlers bowl Heinze varieties in test cricket now.
Getting spoonfed dry lifeless wickets where there's no sideways movement has killed our batters as well.
I agree with you blokes. Make 20/20 a super top up plan for the over 35's and let young blokes concentrate on building an innings and bowlers bowl tight line and length building pressure.

I still think blokes debuting later in their careers us fine as long as they are technically sound and have the smarts for test cricket. Not just hitting plenty of fours in 20/20 cricket.
The academy should be back here.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby wristwatcher » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:22 am

Rik E Boy wrote:Well it's time to turf out Dads Army for a start. Debuting guys at Voges' age is ridiculous. The only 'Dad' I'd stick with for the immediate future would be Rogers and Johnson. Clarke, been a great player but clearly shot. Marsh, thanks for coming. Ditto Voges, Watson and Haddin. I'd leave Steve Smith at 3.

On the Academy thing I'd move it back to Adelaide where it belongs. The Adelaide district scene is a joke so by having Academy players filling in temporarily for the Redbacks like Bevan, Alley and Berry did makes it harder for the locals to get into the Shield side. Let's reduce that particular revolving door and get the Academy back to what it should be doing.

The Shield is a worry as well. T20 has dead set killed it. No shield cricket during January means you stick with Dads army types during the test series as the young blokes have very little time to press their claims.

Have an age limit at the Big Bash. Make it for old bastards only. Get the young players playing Shield Cricket IN JANUARY. Space out the tests rather than having blocks. These guys are professional cricketers. Having the series over by January 3 is a joke.

Teeball is poison to Test Cricket, because of the apparent inability of some of our batsmen to develop an innings and for the carnage that it causes in the domestic programming. Remove the blocks, make Big Bash a retirement home or a showcase for more experienced cricketers and let the young players develop their games at the long level with an actual chance of forcing their way into the Australia Day test (in Adelaide).

regards,

REB

At the risk of agreeing with someone who often annoys me, this is a great post.

Shield cricket needs to mean something. It may mean CA losses some revenue but more focus, promotion, marketing, access and significance needs to be given too it.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 844 times

Postby locky801 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:07 pm

Is just a pity that the experts in here are not running CA, will probably be the only way that things will change
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3647 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:00 am

Any solution that involves limiting Twenty20 cricket is obviously not going to happen

The solution needs to take the existence of Twenty20 cricket into account
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Jim05 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:20 am

Tony Clifton wrote:Any solution that involves limiting Twenty20 cricket is obviously not going to happen

No it doesnt. For starters anyone playing IPL should not be selected for tests. We should have completely differant squads for tests and T20's. Players can then make a choice in what form they want to play
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Ron Burgundy » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:10 am

Jim05 wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:Any solution that involves limiting Twenty20 cricket is obviously not going to happen

No it doesnt. For starters anyone playing IPL should not be selected for tests. We should have completely differant squads for tests and T20's. Players can then make a choice in what form they want to play

Any when they all choose t20...
Ron Burgundy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby JK » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:32 am

Whilst I can't stand T20 and the effect it's had on the game, surely its not the be all of our issues? Other countries would face the same problem, hell the Poms invented the game. Would be interesting to go back and see if 50 over cricket, when first introduced, had a similar effect
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby heater31 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:40 am

JK wrote:Whilst I can't stand T20 and the effect it's had on the game, surely its not the be all of our issues? Other countries would face the same problem, hell the Poms invented the game. Would be interesting to go back and see if 50 over cricket, when first introduced, had a similar effect

Funny that just finished reading KP's book and he gives the impression that the ECB invented the format but resent the BCCI as they make all the cash..... Hence why they stress that County Championship matches take precedence.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:11 pm

Jim05 wrote:

Go to war against the format that pays the bills?
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby am Bays » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:35 pm

Jim05 wrote:

See what happened when Australian rugby relaxed it's hard line stance on playing in Australia comps rather than chasing the money OS?

We picked our best playyrs and beat the All Balcks. Kepu, Horwill, Ashley-Cooper, Mitchell and Giteau all wouldn't have played under the old rules but were in the run on team on Saturday night.

Ban players for playing T20 and we'll be shittier than what we are now.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:37 pm

am Bays wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

See what happened when Australian rugby relaxed it's hard line stance on playing in Australia comps rather than chasing the money OS?

We picked our best playyrs and beat the All Balcks. Kepu, Horwill, Ashley-Cooper, Mitchell and Giteau all wouldn't have played under the old rules but were in the run on team on Saturday night.

Ban players for playing T20 and we'll be shittier than what we are now.

You only have to look at WSC to see how banning players works for the Test side.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:03 pm

Where to from here? Do we develop a youth policy or do we pick the 11 best in-form cricketers available? I'd love to throw Maxy in there but has the horse bolted?

OPENERS
Warner
Klinger/Bancroft/Khawaja
MIDDLE ORDER
Smith
Burns/Ferguson/Head/Handscomb/Stoinis/Khawaja
KEEPER
Nevill
FRONTLINE
Johnson/Starc/Bird/Cummins/Hazelwood/Fekete
SPINNER
Sandhu/Agar/Lyon/Ahmed

We have the options although we lack a genuine allrounder, the way I see it, if you don't have one with world class abilities, don't play one.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:05 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:Where to from here? Do we develop a youth policy or do we pick the 11 best in-form cricketers available? I'd love to throw Maxy in there but has the horse bolted?

OPENERS
Warner
Klinger/Bancroft/Khawaja
MIDDLE ORDER
Smith
KEEPER
Nevill
FRONTLINE
SPINNER
Sandhu/Agar/Lyon/Ahmed

We have the options although we lack a genuine allrounder, the way I see it, if you don't have one with world class abilities, don't play one.

Warner
Klinger
Khawaja
Smith
Ferguson
Burns
Nevill
Johnson
Starc
Lyon
Bird
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:43 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:Where to from here? Do we develop a youth policy or do we pick the 11 best in-form cricketers available? I'd love to throw Maxy in there but has the horse bolted?

OPENERS
Warner
Klinger/Bancroft/Khawaja
MIDDLE ORDER
Smith
KEEPER
Nevill
FRONTLINE
SPINNER
Sandhu/Agar/Lyon/Ahmed

Sandhu isnt a spinner, though he did bowl some in India
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Jim05 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:48 pm

bennymacca wrote:

OPENERS
Warner
Klinger/Bancroft/Khawaja
MIDDLE ORDER
Smith
KEEPER
Nevill
FRONTLINE
SPINNER
Sandhu/Agar/Lyon/Ahmed

Sandhu isnt a spinner, though he did bowl some in India

Yeah saw he bowled a bit of spin. O'Keeffe by all reports was superb over there aswell
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Next

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket